Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

Tri-iterated his mash to make it easier to handle.

Actually thought about that.

I will try a IIPA reiterated soonish. I have the feeling I can get the same og from maybe 9 kilos...

10 hours ago, The Captain1525230099 said:

I guess with Bens massive grain bull he could have Tri-iterated his mash to make it easier to handle. That’s a massive day though. 

Captain

You can mash 5-6kg pretty easily in those urns though, most of mine are around that amount. 

50 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You can mash 5-6kg pretty easily in those urns though, most of mine are around that amount. 

Yeah most of mine are around that too. 5.5-5.9kg

45 minutes ago, Koo wee brew said:

You a kiwi cuz?

chur bro,

Dave

Nah I’m not but my lovely wife is. Bloody auto correct I swear!

Either that or all the kiwis I work with and livin with one has worn off. Ha ha ha

Captain

Brew Day! ☺️

Easy one today. Coopers DIY: Island Toasted Coconut Porter. I've subbed 500gms of the malt extract for 200gms of dextrose as I would like the ABV% to be a little lower & wish to use the malt extract on an upcoming brew. There's still plenty of malt there & the grain additions will certainly maintain a full body for the beer.

I was just wondering how long the impact of the coconut flavour lasts having never used it in a beer before. Does it fade like hops, or does it stick around & age well? ?

The reason I ask is I'm not sure whether to bottle the batch & allow some to age for next year, or whether to keg it & drink it while the coconut flavour is perhaps more prominent?

Any info on the coconut influence would be helpful.

Cheers,

Lusty.

6 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

...Wife wants a hazelnut one first

I was thinking this same thing the other day about possibly using a nut influence in a brew. I just wasn't sure about how to go about adding the nut influence. Could you grind the nut & make a 'nutmeal' (for a better word) & perhaps add a sugar to help make a wort of sorts that would work? ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

14 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I was thinking this same thing the other day about possibly using a nut influence in a brew. I just wasn't sure about how to go about adding the nut influence. Could you grind the nut & make a 'nutmeal' (for a better word) & perhaps add a sugar to help make a wort of sorts that would work? ?

Cheers,

Lusty.

Holgate make a nice Hazelnut Brown. From memory they chop and toast the nuts to get rid of some of the oil and get a nice flavour. 

Cheers, 

John

Hi all,

Did this one yesterday, it’s a recipe pack from Brewmart, but I added 500g extra of Maris Otter and 300g of sugar. 

But I ended up getting 82% efficiency, so I probably didn’t need the sugar after all.

Oh well..

Head Strong Red

Maris Otter 4.5kg
Caramalt 230g
Carared 230g
Roasted Barley 100g
Table sugar 300g

Hops
30g Fuggles 60min
15g each Fuggles / EKG 30min
15g each Fuggles / EKG 15min

OG 1.062 (Efficiency 82%) 
IBU 32

I'll be brewing a stout on Saturday, to be fermented at ambient temps in around a month's time or so when they'll be most favorable in the house. Then kegged away until next winter, no cold crash or fining additions in this one.

I've dropped the brewhouse efficiency down to 63% for this one, and it will be a re-iterated mash, so I'll do about half of it in the first mash then discard those grains and mash the rest. Obviously this will add time to the brew day but hopefully it results in a reasonable efficiency for the amount of grains, as well as obviously making it easier to lift the bag etc. since each mash will be a similar size to my normal batches.

The boil size will probably be more than the 29L stated, as I will have to account for extra trub due to the big grain bill. I'll be starting with 34L of water, but may top up the urn when I start boiling depending on the volume. I don't really know what to expect from this process and this grain bill, I've never done anything like this before but it'll be interesting.

Mash temp will be around 63-64C, otherwise the FG will just end up being way too high. Predicted pre-boil SG is 1.0653. We'll see if I hit it or not...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.00 L
Post Boil Volume: 25.25 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.0823 SG
Estimated Color: 138.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 80.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 63.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 69.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
34.00 L          Brisbane Water (Dark Ales)                       Water         1          -             -             
6.10 g           Chalk (Mash)                                     Water Agent   2          -             -             
3.44 g           Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)                        Water Agent   3          -             -             
1.96 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   4          -             -             
1.69 g           Calcium Chloride (Mash)                          Water Agent   5          -             -             
1.53 g           Baking Soda (Mash)                               Water Agent   6          -             -             
0.68 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   7          -             -             
7.500 kg         Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.6 EBC Grain         8          85.2 %        4.89 L        
0.750 kg         Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) (1350.0 EBC)     Grain         9          8.5 %         0.49 L        
0.200 kg         Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1100.0 EBC)     Grain         10         2.3 %         0.13 L        
0.200 kg         Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (150.0 EB Grain         11         2.3 %         0.13 L        
0.150 kg         Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC)         Grain         12         1.7 %         0.10 L        
80.00 g          Hallertau Magnum [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           13         80.5 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)           Yeast         14         -             -             

Well I’ve been to my LHBS and they had everything I needed for a Brut IPA so I’ll be brewing this tomorrow.

Changed a little from the original recipe I posted. Just a FWA rather than having all of the hop additions from 15 mins.

Better book your ticket for a month Rowan. Ha ha ha

D2C7550D-9914-458E-AEA4-6C7EA243D229.png

CE52D6AC-82C1-449A-ADBA-B91588F2D1CD.png

Archived