Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2018

Beerlust

I'm trying to hit 26lt, i adjusted my volumes from my first batch but it didn't make any difference in the end haha. I'm still trying to
Understand Beersmith.

Can i simply just add unboiled water to the fermenter if i don't hit my volume or to high of a ABV?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, Hairy said:

I find the hop aroma/flavour definitely dissipates more quickly in the keg than in the bottles.

Towards the end of the keg you notice it has faded a lot but when I open up a bottle from the same batch it is like a different beer. The hops hit you again.

So bottling does have some advantages but not enough to make me want to bottle 30 beers per batch.

I have kegged hopped 2 or 3 batches after reading about Lee doing it, the first day or so it is pretty raw but after 3 days and even a week it is pretty awesome. I have thought about not dry hopping and just keg hopping everything. I use metal balls for the hops, so far no issues

2 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm trying to hit 26lt, i adjusted my volumes from my first batch but it didn't make any difference in the end haha. I'm still trying to
Understand Beersmith.

Can i simply just add unboiled water to the fermenter if i don't hit my volume or to high of a ABV?

Then you need to set the batch size to 26 litres in beersmith, you should be able to do this in the equipment profile you're using with the recipes. Then work out how much water you need to start with to get 26 litres in the fermenter. It might take a few batches but you'll get it sorted.

On my crown urn set up I usually have to start with about 11 litres more water than the intended batch size.

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

I have kegged hopped 2 or 3 batches after reading about Lee doing it, the first day or so it is pretty raw but after 3 days and even a week it is pretty awesome. I have thought about not dry hopping and just keg hopping everything. I use metal balls for the hops, so far no issues

I read a Scott Janish recipe which had a serious amount of keg hops.  An IPA of course, one that he won a few competitions with.  Dammit, can;t emulate that with my bottling set up!

5 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

Understand Beersmith.

I've been fortunate to get some smashing efficiency on a couple of my recent brews.  80% when my Beersmith is set for 75%.  It is definitely the mash efficiency as my pre-boil OG is 4-5 points higher than BS predicts.  Mash efficiency in the 90s.  This may have to do with my lonnnnnnnnnnnngg mash times because 1st time I took my daughter to a Peppa Pig concert, so 3 hour mash, and the 2nd time my wife wanted to get the grocery shopping done before it got busy, 165min mash.

I added the hops as per the usual schedule and overshot OG by 6 and 8 points respectively.

I used BRewer's Friend's Dilution and Boil Off calulator to work out how much water to add to the brew at pitching time (I no chill).  Usually around 1.5-2.0L.  Seems to work and I get more beer at the end of it!

Today i made the wort for my first ever Kettle Soured Berliner Weisse. Im still waiting for it to cool down a little more. Its sitting at around 50°C. I was thinking of pitching the lacto at around 40 to 45. Does this sound right? The recipe went like this

1.5kg Vienna

446g Pilsner

315g Wheat malt

70g Acidulated malt

All mashed for about 90 mins, then dunk sparged in a big pot. There i added 250g Acid malt to reduce the pH a little more. Left that for about 20 mins then back into the urn and boiled for 30 mins. The plan is to pitch lacto tonight, sourced from 5 Ethical Nutrients IBS Support capsules, then boil and add hops tomorrow. If anyone has any hints or tips i would be very appreciative. Looking at you Benny boy.

Cheers all

Cheers guys. I just dunked a pH strip into it and its still at about 5. Its been about 10 hours since pitching. I guess ill just check it every couple of hours until it gets to like 4 or 3 then start the boil. No off putting smells from it, although it didn't smell like normal wort anymore. Hope thats a good sign

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

Cheers guys. I just dunked a pH strip into it and its still at about 5. Its been about 10 hours since pitching. I guess ill just check it every couple of hours until it gets to like 4 or 3 then start the boil. No off putting smells from it, although it didn't smell like normal wort anymore. Hope thats a good sign

You might be infor a long day Rowan

Good luck with it though

Yeah i did think to myself, Shit, what if its not ready today? Lets bloody hope. Im thinking if it doesn't change by 8 o'clock tonight, ill just go ahead and boil it. If i don't, the only other time i will get a chance to is Monday night at about 5.30. That means it would be around 46 hours with lacto on it. To me that seems too long, but honestly im all new to this so i don't know really.

Ben, when you made your sours did they form a skin or layer on top of the wort? I havn't got that in mine yet

I had a little taste just now and it appears to be working. It has a slight sourness to it, but is still sweet so it might be more sour once its fermented out. Ill leave it for a few more hours and have another taste. The pH strips are still indicating around 4.5 to 5. Not sure how acurate they are though

1 hour ago, Rowbrew said:

I had a little taste just now and it appears to be working. It has a slight sourness to it, but is still sweet so it might be more sour once its fermented out. Ill leave it for a few more hours and have another taste. The pH strips are still indicating around 4.5 to 5. Not sure how acurate they are though

I’d be a little hesitant with the strips too as to being accurate I suppose. 

Its all a balancing act there Rowan, but I really hope it works out for ya 

Hey Kirk. Just had another taste and it seems a little bit more sour than earlier. The test strips all look the bloody same to me though. Oh well, i think i might start the boil now so i can get it cubed tonight. I dont think leaving it a few more hours is going to do much. I just hope that post fermentation the sour comes out more

Archived