Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

That yeast seems to take ages to drop out for some reason. It's been in the keg since the 23rd of April and only in the last week or so I've noticed it drop really clear.

That brew sounds good mate. I've yet to experiment with no boil additions but it's on the to do list for sure. I might do it in summer though so the cube takes a bit longer to cool down. tongue

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That brew sounds good mate. I've yet to experiment with no boil additions

I think Bridge Rd do it with a pale.

It is well tasty, I used mostly Munich for some maltiness.... and it is not overly malty, I love Munich.

I've been really lazy of late & haven't brewed a beer in over a month. This has not happened at all in the last 4 odd years.

All my kegs are empty too. sadJake Blues response

Well Mr. Blues, although I keg almost all of my brews these days, I do bottle a few longnecks from each batch with what won't fit in the keg(s). Man am I glad I bothered to do that right now! happy

I have a good 3 or so cartons of longnecks containing various beers I've brewed over the past 4+ months including a nice Blueberry Porter using the new Coopers Porter kit.

My back is killing me right now, & I have the day off tomorrow, so this evening on the menu is the Coopers DIY ANZAC Ale, an American Pale Ale of my own design, an EB modelled around a Fursty Ferret clone, ending with a longneck of my Blueberry Porter.

When I can no longer feel the pain in my back I'll likely stop, but then again maybe I won't. whistling

A sleep-in is on the cards tomorrow. wink

In your face Jake Blues! biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

I must admit I've been slack with bottling leftovers from kegging lately. Often times there has been a brew day happening on the same day and I just can't be arsed faffing around for the sake of a few litres.

In other cases the batches were deliberately brewed to 21 litres so I didn't have to bottle any excess, so they don't really count anyway. tongue

Lazy Basset session ale

1x can coopers APA

1x can coopers wheat extract

500 BE3

5l boil 15g chinook@15

15g chinook@5

15g vic secret steep 5 mins

yeast us-05

dry hop 35g vic secret

This

is a tad bitter at this stage , is a nice clean beer but not totally happy with this one , although most people that have tried it like it. one thought it tasted a bit like a beez neez ! think i'll try a different combo with vic secret next time.

WDB is shut down for a while as I am moving house, cheers folks

I had a first taster of the Five Malts Amber Ale last night. It is a Fresh Wort Kit from ESB (Brewers Selection) and was pretty good. It is an English style; kind of like a cross between James Squire Amber and Matilda Bay Ruby Tuesday.

By the end of the weekend I should have two kegs of beer and a couple of brew days lined up. Hopefully I won't have to resort to the FWK for a while.

8Yw4NgZ.png?1

Ella & Amarillo dry-hopped "bright ale," first couple down! It's a brilliant hop combo but I doubt the flavour will last long, it wasn't an aggressive addition. Not so sure about that Coopers lager yeast in this role anymore (kind of a steam beer). It also seems to be a little inconsistent from bottle to bottle. Could it be a blend? Interestingly this is probably my clearest beer yet but it was practically opaque for the longest time. I was worried it'd have terrible chill haze. Grains are great despite the inefficiency and the colour's right where I wanted it.

Happy to have a case of it ready for the long weekend. Pictured but not discussed: world's best spag bol.

Well it's coffee this time of morning but when i do feel like a beer there's a few to choose from

Still have some of the saisons brewed months ago ( i wasn't even recording brews yet )

2 different pale ales

amber ale

Dark ale

Partial mash oatmeal stout thats coming along great but only a month old

what i'm mostly drinking is Black and Tans , half fill a real pint glass with a pale then pour Guinness stout over a spoon to layer it , Great for winter

i got ruthless with storing the other beers i made but don't greatly enjoy so tipped much of them out as i'll need the empty bottles / mini kegs for upcoming brews ...first world brewing problems !

nice one Jeremy' date='

Wholly crap! Kelseys brew is clear as... great pic there kelsey[/quote']Thanks mate. It was treated with isinglass and Polyclar during the cold crashing phase before kegging, like pretty well all my beers are these days. Usually after 2-3 weeks in the keg the yeast has pretty well all dropped out and they pour clear like that. biggrin

OMG

100% Vienna

magnum for bittering

And a huge whack of saaz @ 15 minutes

used 34/70 yeast its coming out the keg like nector to the gods

Thought the vienna was a tad full on at first but its bloody nice as... just love its mild malt character that just improves with age!

Just did a 60L batch on saterday with 7kg pilsner 5 kg vienna and 800g carapills cant wait see how that turns out with single hop Mt Hood and sanfrancisco lager yeast,

Cant wait to try my next drop!

Better shot of the bright ale. They are not lasting very long - I was hoping to have some for my son's second birthday on Sunday week. Fat chance. You will also be happy to note I got some classic schooey glasses. No more ales in jam jars and wineglasses for me!

uVQEekW.jpg

G'day Drinkers, I almost feel sorry for you yellow beer drinkers today, knocking back a few ESB's. love

Coopers English Bitter 1.7 Kg

Briess Golden Light 1.7 kg

Cararoma 100g

Medium Crystal 200g

Brown sugar 200g

20g of EKG and 20g of Fuggles

M07 British Ale yeast, fermented @ 20°C, 21 days in the fermentor.

8 weeks in the bottle, yummy. I like brown beer. wink

I'll like yellow beer another day, but that's another story. tongue

Cheers.

Hi Everyone

Don't ask me why I went down the path of this recipe on Sunday (It was because I had some grains that I needed to use and I hate waste) but if any of the more experienced brewers would like to provide feedback I am always willing to listen and learn.

1 tin Coopers Pale Ale

1 tin Black Rock LME

350g Caramel Pilsner

350g Marius Otter

250g UK Pale Male

I milled the grain in a coffee grinder (just a couple of blasts each load) then into a grain bag into about 10L water that was at 65c. Normally I only steep much smaller quantities for about 20 - 30 minutes but this time I let it sit at about 55-65c for an hour.

Removed the grains and did a sparge (not sure of the water temp, sorry) then added the LME to the liquor and bought to a boil. Boiled for 40 minutes all up. Hop additions were:

20g Magnum @ 30 mins

12g Citra @ 10 mins

12 Amarillo @ 10 mins

12 Citra @ 5 mins

12 Amarillo @ 5 mins

12 Crystal 5 mins

Added to the FV with the Coopers PA and bought it down to temp by adding a fresh bag of ice from the local bottle shop. It said it was food grade and filtered so I thought it can be no worse than the tap water I normally add. unsure Wort was still at about 28c by the time i got to 23 litres so I put it in the brew fridge and bought it down to 21 in about an hour, pitch the SA05 yeast. Brew fridge set for 19c.

The wort smelt REALLY REALLY sweet and when I tasted a little I had to spit it out. I was sure I had just wasted a heap of ingredients.crying

Checked the FV Monday, not a lot happening, Tuesday I tested the SG ( I forgot to take an OG reading - dooooh) and it was about 1040. Wort still smelt really sweet.

Wednesday it was down to about 1030 and some of the sweetness had disappeared.

Thursday (today) it is at 1020, there is heaps of action in the FV, about an inch of krausen, the sweetness continues to reduce (still there though) but the hops are coming through. I tasted it today and it tastes....good. surprised

I was planning on dry hopping in the next few days and then next Thursday cold crash it (first time I've tried this) before bottling next weekend.

I did a similar brew on Saturday but I only used 400g of the Carmel Pilsner steeped for 20mins at 65c. The wort was no where near as sweet as the Sunday batch. This brew looks "thicker" than the Sat brew as well.

What I'd like to get feedback on is:

1. Thoughts on the grain selection bearing in mind it was use what I had?

2. Did the extra grain cause the extra sweetness? Seems a silly question but I wouldn't have thought an extra 600g would cause that level of sweetness.

3. Were these the right temps for a mini-mash and did I leave it long enough?

4. Comments on hop selection?

5. Thoughts of hops for dry hopping?

Really appreciate any advice as this is my first step into mini-mashes.

Cheers

2. Did the extra grain cause the extra sweetness? Seems a silly question but I wouldn't have thought an extra 600g would cause that level of sweetness.

Cheers

1. Grain selection seems fine to me. Two of them are base malts' date=' so they won't contribute as much added sweetness as caramel/crystal malts would. Given this also, you want to keep your temp more stable than a 10 degree swing. Probably won't make a lot of difference with the small amounts used, but it's a good habit to get into for when you begin mashing larger amounts. I'm not entirely sure what Caramel Pilsner is but I'm assuming it's a crystal malt made from pilsner base malt rather than ale malt.

2. Sort of answered this already in my last answer. However, wort will always taste way sweeter before it is fermented by the yeast because there are all the sugars still in it. That's why the sweetness level is dropping along with the SG [img']wink[/img]

3. Time wise it's fine, but as I said above, you need to keep the temp as stable as possible. 64-66C should be a good number to shoot for.

4. I'm assuming the Magnum was simply to add bitterness? The others sound alright.

5. Citra or Amarillo would probably go well, maybe Cascade or Centennial if you have any.

Cheers

1. Grain selection seems fine to me. Two of them are base malts' date=' so they won't contribute as much added sweetness as caramel/crystal malts would. Given this also, you want to keep your temp more stable than a 10 degree swing. Probably won't make a lot of difference with the small amounts used, but it's a good habit to get into for when you begin mashing larger amounts. I'm not entirely sure what Caramel Pilsner is but I'm assuming it's a crystal malt made from pilsner base malt rather than ale malt.

2. Sort of answered this already in my last answer. However, wort will always taste way sweeter before it is fermented by the yeast because there are all the sugars still in it. That's why the sweetness level is dropping along with the SG [img']wink[/img]

3. Time wise it's fine, but as I said above, you need to keep the temp as stable as possible. 64-66C should be a good number to shoot for.

4. I'm assuming the Magnum was simply to add bitterness? The others sound alright.

5. Citra or Amarillo would probably go well, maybe Cascade or Centennial if you have any.

Thanks so much Otto!

The temp probably didn't swing as much as I indicated but I'll take on board the need for more constant temp during the next mini-mash. Having tasted the wort from the Sunday mash to the Saturday (with less steeped grains) whilst both taste good but the Sunday one at this stage seems more rounded. The Saturday wort seems a little little bit more bitter but that all could change over time. Yes the Magnum was simply for a more all round bitterness. I did put the brew into Brewers Friend Beer calculator beforehand but of course they didn't have the Coopers Pale Ale in the list of ingredients so I was just running with 2 cans of Light LME. I really like Amarillo so I think I'll go with that.

Really appreciate you taking the time to give some feedback. I'll let you know what it turns out like in a few weeks time. Cheers mate biggrin

VauvESo.jpg

IPA

Real Ale kit

1.5Kg LDM

300g Caramunich 1 (hot steep)

150g Dex

25g Centennial @ 30mins

100g Cascade @ flameout (I let it steep for a few hours)

75g Centennial dry

23L

SO4 (Pitched and fermented at 20C)

biggrin best IPA I have brewed so far.

Cheers,

Dave.

G'day Drinkers, been do'in a taste test of a stout, only a month in the bottle, now I know Hairy will be all oh waste of grain and all that, but guess what, he might be incorrect, maybe. tongue

Toucan Plus #2

Coopers OS Dark Ale 1.7Kg

Coopers OS Stout 1.7Kg

Briess Golden Light Extract

Medium Crystal 120 250 grams

Chocolate Malt 600 200 grams

Roasted Barley 100 grams

White Sugar 500 grams

Brown Sugar 200 grams

Mangrove Jack’s British Ale Yeast and the 2 kit yeast packs and fermented at 20° C for three weeks. Yumo and only one month in the bottle, gunna be a joy to taste test each month. happy?

This will get better and better. love

Only did a 30 minute hot steep of the cracked grain, quick boil, added malt and sugar made up to 23 litres. wink

This will now be the house stout and this house likes a good stout. rightful

<a href=04a1732c-1874-49cc-ac38-7f2d09407420_zps

Black as a blue bulls fundamental on a moonless night. wink

Archived