Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

Brew Dudes

I had to embrace the New Year, plus I get the feeling that Tennyson is in for a big year and we need lots of his excellent pics to boot.

Went to the Taste tonight and had an Excellent Rye IPA (RIPA) by Devil' Brewery, now I can't wait for a post in here from Ben10 re his latest Rye incarnation so that I can give it a go.

This one had a good smack of Citrus, very Cascade like. But I'll have to brew my own because I checked the Website and it's $120 for a dozen 640ml bottles.

Wishing you many successful Brews in 2016

Scottie

Valley Brew

The old thread https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/12425/?page=42#p163642 ran for just over two years.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work starting the thread Scottie!

I sampled my saison brewed with Wyeast 3725PC after a couple of weeks in the bottle then a day in the fridge. It's a fantastic beer, beautifully balanced and one of the best I have brewed for sure. I'm very happy to have a case in the cupboard to drink over summer!

It does taste a bit more like a Belgian Pale Ale than a saison to me. Maybe I should've pushed the fermentation temp up into the mid 20s to get that little bit more funk. I can also taste a little bit too much Munich malt even after carbonation. Next time I'd drop it to say 10% of the grain bill or just leave it out altogether. Still a great beer though, and I think I like this yeast strain!

Cheers,

John

Yesterday I drank quite a few after a day in town.

CitRyePa is one of the most flavourful beers I have brewed.

14% Rye, late hopped with 70g each of Azacca and Citra and dry hopped with 50g each of Centennial and Citra.

The fruity tones completely compliment the spice from the rye with some sweetness from the 14% Munich II in conjunction with the heavy hopping.

I'll get back on the pictures soon.

Well since this keg went in to the fridge last year and is the only one in there currently (aside from a soda water keg), my first home brew for 2016 is the IPA I brewed late last year. It's probably tasting a bit better now, certainly the keg portion is tasting better than the bottled portion. I have tried one of each today to compare. Might leave it for now though... need to keep some for Tuesday for a mate coming around and I'm not sure how much is left in the keg. unsure

1933929_10208744813486285_227594589191665761_n.jpg?oh=b2d889926fbfe0dde74cabe20baf42ed&oe=5719EEBC

Cheers

Kelsey

An English Bitter

Not a lot of hop influence, Biscuit with hints of Caramel and Coffee. No Pictures it looks cloudy due to chill haze, three beers brewed forgot to add the whilfloc.

Southern Lights Bitter

8.00 g Gypsum (Mash 60.0 mins)

6.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)

0.30 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC)

0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)

20.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

10.00 g Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

First time using White Labs yeast, seems to have done the ob. Also first time using Northern Brewer late in the boil, the hop flavour is clean not grassy but not really distinctive. The Maris Otter is presenting differently in this brew for me, not sure why but it is more subdued.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

• 2 weeks later...

Brewing Brethren

Just having one of my newest brews, Victory Pale Ale. I am getting a Citrus blast (Lemon believe or not) from 65 grams of Cascade Hops. The hops do dominate which was the aim, there is however a nice subtle Malt background with flavour from the Victory and the Chocolate.

3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 75.0 %

0.50 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 2 12.5 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 3 6.3 %

0.10 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 2.5 %

0.10 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 5 2.5 %

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 6.0 min

15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min

1.0 pkg American West Coast (Lallemand #BRY-97)

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I had one of my red ales earlier, it was kegged on Friday and although it sat at 30PSI for about 18 hours and serving pressure since, it hasn't really carbonated very much. I'll give it another week and see how it's going then. I know I've fixed the gas leak so maybe there's an issue with that particular gas disconnect, or it's not fitted properly (tap pours normal enough though). It's the same one that was on the SNPA keg that didn't carb properly initially (although it did eventually), but a different keg this time.

O well, will update with a proper tasting review once it is sufficiently fizzy.

During yesterday's brew day I moved a carton of Black Knight Stout and two bottles with an R on the lid rolled out.

Otto's Red Ale, popped them in the fridge, just polishing off one now. Still nice, FWH seems to keep the hop flavour longer. My next brew day is Otto's Red I have all the ingredients.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Spin on PB2's Nelson light.

1.5 kg Wheat malt

30g Motueka @ 30mins

25g Galaxy @ flameout (30 min steep)

30g Motueka (hop tea)

15g Galaxy dry

21L

Notto @ 18 (4th re pitch)

Pulled the first one out of the keg tonight. Great flavour, perfect bitterness with a dry finish. A great summer quaffer.

I've brewed many versions of PB2's recipe. Never disappoints.

Cheers,

Dave.

I'm trying one of my stouts that was brewed and bottled 2 years ago now. It was my first, and only to date, AG stout brew. I'm planning another for my next dark beer. Unfortunately it has lost some carbonation, and the head on it was produced via the use of a syringe, but the flavour is really rich. It's probably lost some of the roastiness that it had earlier on, it is more of a smooth velvety slightly burnt chocolatey kind of flavour now. It's really bloody nice, just be nice if it had a few more bubbles, although not as many as I have in my pale beers. lol

12573235_10208859778240332_687614057163865945_n.jpg?oh=83efeb3e87e62b33501380d44ee10f83&oe=5705389E&__gda__=1463274228_4a82be017d0350bc1b5901b94d218e67

Cheers

Kelsey

This beer has to be one of my best, it is very moreish. It's also, from memory, the most hops I've used in the last 30 minutes of the boil. You'd never believe that it comes in at only 3.6% - then again you'll have to accept my word on that. Plus I can pour another.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Brewing Brethren

Just having one of my newest brews' date=' Victory Pale Ale. I am getting a Citrus blast (Lemon believe or not) from 65 grams of Cascade Hops. The hops do dominate which was the aim, there is however a nice subtle Malt background with flavour from the Victory and the Chocolate.

3.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 75.0 %

0.50 kg Victory Malt (49.3 EBC) Grain 2 12.5 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 3 6.3 %

0.10 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 2.5 %

0.10 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 5 2.5 %

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

30.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 6.0 min

15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min

1.0 pkg American West Coast (Lallemand #BRY-97)

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Spin on PB2's Nelson light.

1.5 kg Wheat malt

30g Motueka @ 30mins

25g Galaxy @ flameout (30 min steep)

30g Motueka (hop tea)

15g Galaxy dry

21L

Notto @ 18 (4th re pitch)

Pulled the first one out of the keg tonight. Great flavour' date=' perfect bitterness with a dry finish. A great summer quaffer.

I've brewed many versions of PB2's recipe. Never disappoints.

Cheers,

Dave. [/quote']

Nice one Dave ... so you like the Motueka / Galaxy combo? Due to a hop order error by Craftbrewer (that was promptly corrected with excellent customer service) I'm planning to brew a Motueka / Galaxy pale ale soon. Was thinking to use Motueka for bittering as you have done, then a 2:1 ratio of Motueka:Galaxy @5mins, then again @flameout.

Cheers,

John

so you like the Motueka / Galaxy combo?

Yeah. They go well together. I think 2:1 ratio is the way to go. I love Galaxy but it can be quite overpowering.

Cascade / Galaxy ' date=' Centennial / Galaxy in a 2:1 ratio also produce great results.

Cheers,

Dave. [/quote']

I love Cascade / Galaxy and Centennial / Galaxy in a 2:1 ratio. Nice balance love

Tonight I am drinking my Mosaic Golden Ale and Red IPA. The IPA has settled nicely whilst I was away and is now superb. Perhaps I got used to big IPAs whilst in the U.S.

Most of mine don't get past a couple of months either. lol

Funny that's been mentioned though as I have a keg of it on tap currently, plus 12 stubbies. The kegged portion tastes better than the bottled portion at the same timeframe since packaging.

This batch I fermented with Wy1318 London Ale III yeast instead of the usual US-05. I also added some CaCl to the mash water. These differences have seen the caramelly/toffee sweetness present more than it does when I've used US-05 on it, which I'm rather enjoying. Certainly, it presents more in balance now that it is properly carbonated. It was a bit sweet before it carbed fully. It hasn't really cleared up very much for some reason though, but still tastes good.

12642849_10208893265517493_4085338644824786661_n.jpg?oh=29f80f33d13c719525a57e33a026a744&oe=573C9964&__gda__=1464395425_5e6c23f20b9ce2f1ea07d06132830183

Cheers

Kelsey

I too find kegs taste better, in fact I was going off bottled (Home Brewed) beers altogether. This Red Ale has changed my opinion and I will certainly being doing 25 litres as per the original recipe. I'll keg 19 and bottle the rest into long necks. Also I am going to use Windsor.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Looks nice Kelsey, not surprised it doesn't last long! Did you do your normal finings routine with that one? Does look a bit cloudier than usual. Maybe 1318 only drops bright if you put it in a cask ... in the cellar of a village pub ... where it can hear the faint murmour of whinging Poms upstairs lol

Scottie, I like to drink different beers from the bottle and on tap. Anything on tap usually goes much faster, so I'll put low gravity / hoppy / best drunk fresh stuff into my Tap-a-Draft bottles. Anything higher gravity / with dark malts / Belgian that I want to drink more slowly and let it mature over time I'll put into stubbies. Kelsey's red could go both ways I reckon. Although as Ben10 mentioned even some hoppy beers improve after a month or so in the bottle ... I find that sometimes the flavours melt together a bit more nicely and the green edges smooth off the hops a little.

Considering my 'kegging' setup is naturally carbonated Tap-a-Draft bottles, so basically the same thing as a bit bottle anyway I guess only the delivery mechanism into my glass (and hence the rate at which the beer gets finished) is different!

Looks nice Kelsey' date=' not surprised it doesn't last long! Did you do your normal finings routine with that one? Does look a bit cloudier than usual. Maybe 1318 only drops bright if you put it in a cask ... in the cellar of a village pub ... where it can hear the faint murmour of whinging Poms upstairs [img']lol[/img]

lol Who knows. I did my usual finings routine, yes. I don't know whether it's yeast or chill haze causing it to be cloudy like that. It hasn't affected the flavour though. Interestingly, the bottle of it that I tried was much clearer. The description says it's a high floccing yeast, so I dunno. It's been sitting in the kegerator the whole time so you'd think that'd be enough to drop it out by now... will be using the yeast again on the next brew to go in being an English ale, except this one is brighter in colour so it will be easier to tell what's going on in regard to clarity.

Was both impressed and slightly disgusted to find I have over 100 litres of beer in the house , only 30 of that ready to drink .

For drinking now I have a

Pale ale

Sunkissed wiess

Golden ale

The unreal ale is a few weeks away from drinking with a saison and the munted blonde in FV s

Archived