Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

Those of you who have been reading the lager threads know that my Samuel Adams Boston Lager is too young and isn't drinking well yet. It needs the miracle of time.

Lucky I put down a Dr Smurtos Golden Ale (Kit with grain steep and short Amarillo hop boil) a few weeks back. It is two weeks in the bottle and drinking well. Needs a tad more carbonation, but flavour is spot on for an easy drinking ale while I wait patiently for my lagers to catch up.

The other one drinking now is the Hop Gobbler recipe. It'g got a bitterness to it that may be a result of the fermentation, or it could just be a characteristic of the English Bitter kit that forms the base of the brew. I definitely prefer the Golden Ale. I suspect that to disappear at twice the speed of the Hop Gobbler. Good thing about that is that it allows the Hop Gobbler to bottle condition and age.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Rye IPA

After 5 weeks in the keg. Not as good as my RIPA in terms of style as the hops are less dominant due to the dominance of the Red Back Mt. Nest time I'll increase the Rye to 750g and drop the BM to 1/2 kilo. Also finished a bit higher so this explains the balance towards the Malt. First time BRY has struggled for me but this could be due to the 750g of RBM.

Needs refining but I definitely won't be tipping it.

IMG_08561_zpsoioyaaup.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I'm looking at some of the lagers that you fellas have made and I am surprised at how clear they have turned out. They don't seem to have chill haze. I have only ever brewed ales and always get chill haze. What is the secret here in none or very little chill haze?

I'm looking at some of the lagers that you fellas have made and I am surprised at how clear they have turned out. They don't seem to have chill haze. I have only ever brewed ales and always get chill haze. What is the secret here in none or very little chill haze?
My method of tackling chill haze is to dose the beer with Polyclar during the cold crash. Clears it right up. I use isinglass as well to drop out yeast' date=' but I think it helps a bit with haze too. I'm gonna test that theory out on my next pale ale by using only isinglass and no Polyclar.

It can be combatted by the brewing process itself as well. Before I began using these clearing agents, I did find some beers turned out clearer than others. Using Brewbrite in the last few minutes of the boil can help with it too.

Anyway, as for what I'm drinking, I had a sample bottle of my latest Bo Pils on Saturday, which had only been bottled 6 days. Carbonation wasn't quite there yet but it certainly wasn't flat. I'd say about 3/4 done. Flavour wise as expected it needs more time, but it is looking promising for another tasty pilsner. Will have to leave these alone for a few weeks I think. Might wait until the keg is on tap before trying another one.

Other than that, I still have my other 3 kegs going. The home grown hops lager has been in there for 2 months now so I suspect it's almost empty by now. The red ale is probably about half empty and the stout maybe 2/3 to 3/4 full still.

Planning to keg my ESB next Wednesday at this stage, so I reckon these kegs will last until I have the next three ready to go in. [img']cool[/img]

Cheers

Kelsey

I am going to try out some brewbrite instead of whirlfloc as l read somewhere that it is more effective. I'm not getting any yeast haze as the beer is crystal clear at room temperature. I have also forgotten to use whirlfloc a couple of times due to over consumption of my own products on brew day.

At the moment I've just tested 2 different variants of my Landlord clones at 2 weeks of age. Still too green, needs another 2 or 4 weeks but the floor malted golden promise seems to be shining through very nicely.

Yeah, I don't get yeast haze either, it's just more because I keg now and the more yeast I can remove before it goes into the keg, the better, because then it doesn't take as long to drop out in the keg. I normally end up with hardly any yeast sediment in the kegs once they're empty. Maybe the same amount you'd get in two 750mL bottles. The yeast has already dropped out of the pilsner bottles after only a week.

Brewbrite is a mixture of Polyclar and carrageenan as far as I know. It is quite effective at coagulating and dropping out proteins/hot break after the boil, some of which do contribute to chill haze. I used to use it at 10 mins out from end of boil but I've had seemingly better results throwing it in with only a few minutes left. I mix it up into a slurry with water and dump it in. They reckon that's unnecessary but throwing it in dry it just clumps on the surface and doesn't really seem to do much at all.

Yeah give it a try mate. When I said better results I meant more with it dropping things out at flameout. The trub seems a bit more compact and less fluffy. I don't know whether this makes any difference to chill haze because I only started doing it after I began using Polyclar during cold crashing. It never seemed to do much for chill haze in my beers but there are probably other factors at play there. Others get great results from it so YMMV I guess.

Back on the subject of what we're drinking, I'm having a glass of my stout tonight. It has certainly improved with time in the keg. Flavours are mellowing nicely. One thing I have noticed though, is that despite the keg sitting on the same constant gas pressure as the other two, the beer is less carbonated than them. I've also noticed that when I pour a glass, the gas line makes a noise as it replenishes the headspace in the keg. This doesn't happen with the other two kegs. The lower carbonation is what I prefer in a stout so this is a good thing, but the other good thing is that it makes it easy for me to maintain as well because I don't have to do anything with the gas either. Win win! biggrin

Cheers

Kelsey

Needs refining but I definitely won't be tipping it.

Should make my big red rye if you are liking the rye mate

BTW the above beer looks good.

Hey Ben

Point me in the direction of the recipe and I'll have a look at it. I've got 1.5kg of Rye in the Brew Shed ready to go.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I had a sample of my American Amber ale after a couple of weeks in the bottle ... just to make sure it isn't infected and the yeast were active enough to carbonate you see. It is really tasty! The Galaxy / Motueka hop combo is a good one. It's probably a bit too hoppy at the moment (which tastes great to me) but in a month or so it will hopefully have settled down nicely.

Lusty, thanks again for providing the spirit behind this grain bill in the form of your very tasty Mosaic Amber ale recipe.

Stats

Batch Size (fermenter): 10.5l

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 33 EBC

Estimated IBU: 40 IBUs

Mash: 60 Minutes @ 66° C, batch sparged 3V

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain

39.9% Voyager Pale Malt

29.9% Gladfield Pilsner Malt

16% Munich (BestMälz)

5% Carahell (Weyermann)

5% Crystal, Medium (Bairds)

3% Caraaroma (Weyermann)

1.2% Chocolate Malt (Bairds)

Hops

@FWH - 10g Motueka

@5mins - 10g Motueka

@5mins - 5g Galaxy

@flameout - 10g Motueka

@flameout - 5g Galaxy

@dry hop - 20g Motueka

@dry hop - 10g Galaxy

Yeast

Safale US-05, rehydrated

This here thread contains the original and still current recipe in the first post. The only difference is that I now ferment it with 1469 yeast as I think it works better for this beer than US-05 does.

Most of the time I brew only 21 litre batches of this now for kegs only, because I don't like bottle conditioning with English yeasts. They tend to over-carbonate the beer after a while. Obviously the ingredients can be scaled from the original 25 litres to whatever size batch you like though.

Hi guys.

I fast carbed up my recently brewed Steam beer earlier today. It's unmistakably a Steam beer on the palate. The yeast does have a large influence on this beer style. The hopping structure I chose has worked well, but for my tastes will be tweaked. That said I'd happily drink this current beer all day long without a problem. wink

On a rare occasion I stirred up the yeast & trub in the FV & drew off a decent sized jar to rinse & use again. This lager strain is very malt friendly, but also appears to be friendly to hops as well. That gets two big ticks from me. biggrin

I plan to use this strain on a very skinny pilsner malted brew, & a very hoppy APA or IPA in the near future to garner it's real versatility.

I'm seriously looking at using this lager strain much more in the future.

Cheers,

Lusty.

A +7% IPA with Barbe Rouge late and dry hopped.

Almost like fairy floss this hop, very sweet and candy like to me..

Fortunately I used Sticklebract and there is some dank/ pine to cut through.

Nice though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fast carbed up a keg of my Seymour Undertow Pale Ale using Mt. Hood, Cascade & a new hop for me, El Dorado. The El Dorado hop has thrown some interesting flavours & seems to have worked quite well in conjunction with the Cascade, so I'm happy. happy

Currently enjoying a few of these from the glass along with a simple little APA kit based brew that I hopped up with Amarillo, Centennial, & Cluster.

Now all I need is some warm weather! Spring my @#$#!! annoyed

Time for another from the keg. biggrin

Cheers,

Lusty.

Last night I had a few last ones of old brews laying around, but also had a couple of the Toucan Stout - wow, what a beer that is! prob strongest dark beer I've brewed yet and I thought the Devils Porter had a kick to it.

Also cracked my first one of the "Freezer Cleaner" APA - an idea I got from KR to make a brew using up leftover hops in the freezer. Given the mix of hops I was expecting something slightly odd at the least and horrible at the worst - but it's actually come out a really tasty drop! It was an extract brew using:

1.5kg LLME

500gm LDME

250 gms light crystal

7 gms Pacific Jade @ 60

18 gms Hallertau @ 15

10 gms Cascade @ 5

10 gms Galaxy @ 5

15 gms Mosaic dry hopped

Weird combo - but surprisingly nicejoyfulbiggrin

I tried a few of my beers on the weekend.

English Brown Ale - to make sure the Wyeast 1469 wasn't slowly over-carbing the beer. It wasn't and it is tasting really nice ... except for one thing. To my taste buds, the flavour from the Caraaroma just doesn't suit this style of beer. For this batch I split the crystal malts between Simpsons Medium Crystal and Weyermann Caraaroma, but next time I brew an English Brown I'll drop the Caraaroma completely and just use the Medium Crystal malt. I might also use a touch more British Chocolate malt than I used in this batch for a bit of extra roast.

American Amber Ale - still tasting great, the hop intensity has dropped off slightly now, and the different malt flavours are coming out a little more. The recipe needs some simplifying though - I'm working on a version using 4 malts (pale, medium crystal, dark crystal and chocolate malts) rather than the 7 I used in this one.

Pilsner - the sulphur has all gone after sitting in my cold cupboard for a few weeks and this is now really, really nice! The Gladfield pilsner malt has a great flavour and I've got a feeling this batch will be very enjoyable when the weather warms up a bit.

I'm happy because I've learnt something from each of these 3 batches.

Cheers,

John

I put my latest 3 full kegs into the kegerator last Thursday to chill down, carb up and drop clear for my birthday in a couple of weeks. They are a Bo Pils, ESB and APA with all Super Galena hopping. Tonight through Wednesday I'm having a pint of each one to see how they're travelling.

Tonight I'm trying the Bo Pils. Another successful batch of this recipe. I finished off the bottled portion of it over the weekend, but only tapped the keg tonight. It was also tasting good after being in the bottle for a while. SWMBO and her mother and sister all enjoyed it too. I actually did a side by side test with a bottle of the real Urquell and it wasn't too far off. Could probably use a touch more bitterness though, will increase it slightly next batch I brew which is on Saturday. Just wish I had a spare fridge to store the full kegs in; I've noticed this beer tastes better when kegged and kept cold in the kegerator rather than being allowed to warm up for a while.

Tomorrow night I'll try the ESB, and Wednesday the APA. Won't get any pix until Saturday during the brew day though, because they always look better in proper daylight tongue

Cheers

Kelsey

I forgot to update this last night, but I tried my ESB and it was much better than my previous attempt. Better balanced between the malt and hops, more like the commercial versions I've tried. Could probably use a touch more maltiness, which I could either get by adding a bit of CaCl or increasing the Caraaroma addition slightly. I think I'll keep this malt bill though, and just play around with different English hops once I use up my current stocks.

Tonight I'm trying my Galena pale ale (APA). I think it could use more time in the keg to be honest, either that or I'm at the end of the road for re-using this lot of US-05. It does have a funny banana type of flavour to it, which was also present early in my last APA done with Cascade. It went away in time though, and I'm hoping the same happens here. In any case, I don't think I'll use these Super Galena hops as a late addition again, but I will reserve judgement properly until this banana shit flavour goes away. I suspect it would taste pretty good with that gone.

I might go and get a new pack of US-05 as well, to see me through until I grab a 1272 smack pack next time I visit Craftbrewer.

Cheers

Kelsey

Hi Guys,

Home a little earlier today, pulled a couple of schooners whilst ploughing through some paperwork.

MEGASWILL

Morgan's Aussie Bitter can

1kg DME

150g Dextrose

15g POR hop tea.

MJ Cali Common yeast @ 18C

23L

A boring beer, but I achieved a good "Lawnmower beer". It stands up next to a Calton Draught. It was my first time using this yeast, and I like the result. wink I have always been disappointed in my lager attempts, but I like what I have here.

APPLE, PEAR & RASPBERRY CIDER

7.2L Apple, Pear & Raspberry Juice

150g frozen Raspberries @ Day 3 of fermentation

7g Coopers yeast @ 18C

Back sweetened with 1L of the above juice

Carbed at 45psi for 24hrs then dropped back to serving pressure.

A great drop. Prominent raspberry flavour.

Cheers,

Dave.

Archived