Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, just about polished off my amber lagers, which kept getting better and better, especially with a few days refrigeration. I reckon I've got three left of the case+ and I'm starting to feel sad about it.

Today was day 13 of my Little Nut Brown Ale's bottle conditioning so I figured I'd crack one.

Yrkcnhv.png

Colour and carbonation are great. It's a bit lightweight on the body, and every now and then while sipping - especially the first one - I'll get diacetyl. As always seems to be the case with the first beer off the rank, it's drinkable but far from perfect. I might bring the rest inside for another week for a bit of warmth while the yeast are still active to help it clean up a bit more. Seemed to work with the lagers.

Anyway, cheers! Wish I could share! All-grain brewing's very satisfying!

I haven't got a picture because it's night time and the photos suck arse.. but I am having a few glasses of my Pommy Bastard Pilsner tonight. Named such because it was meant to be a Czech Pils but due to emergency I fermented it with 1469 Yorkshire ale yeast instead of the 2001 Urquell lager that it should have been fermented with.

It's not actually too bad, especially having been in the keg sitting cold for weeks. It has improved from what it was early on where it had a bit too much fruitiness, and now tastes a bit more like a proper pilsner. Still not quite right, but better than it was.

Which is good, because it's the only keg left with beer in it at the moment. lol

I haven't got a picture because it's night time and the photos suck arse.. but I am having a few glasses of my Pommy Bastard Pilsner tonight. Named such because it was meant to be a Czech Pils but due to emergency I fermented it with 1469 Yorkshire ale yeast instead of the 2001 Urquell lager that it should have been fermented with.

It's not actually too bad' date=' especially having been in the keg sitting cold for weeks. It has improved from what it was early on where it had a bit too much fruitiness, and now tastes a bit more like a proper pilsner. Still not quite right, but better than it was.

Which is good, because it's the only keg left with beer in it at the moment. [img']lol[/img]

Don't drink to much of the Pommy Bastard or you might start to whinge about it like a whinging pombiggrin

lol I'm more annoyed at the infection in the cube of the batch that was meant to be fermented with the 1469 yeast... but anyway, shit happens. I daresay I might become a whinging bastard at this wedding tomorrow because from what I hear of the beer options... it's pretty lame!! But hey... it's not my wedding.

Don't take a date to the wedding. I made the mistake of taking one to a military wedding. Was our first date. They quickly get ideas of becoming house keepers at weddings. Only thing is, years later house keeper means they keep the house while you are out on your arse with only the things they don't want to keep, like bikes and beer kit. Unless you have stashed away enough cash to buy the your house back for a second time from them.

These days no way will they keep house or change anything. Not even leave a tooth brush there or leave clothes. They might lay claim to the bathroom or couch or somethinglol

Hi guys.

I'm currently enjoying drinking a few glasses of my Blueberry Porter that I bottled back in late February.

It's becoming more enjoyable the longer I allow it to age. happy

In earlier tastings/samplings I felt it didn't have enough blueberry influence, but have since realized it does. It's interesting when you compare aromas & flavours across different beer styles & how your perceptions can become clouded somewhat. This was the case here for me.

Crack the top on the bottle, & you instantly know there is blueberry influence from the aroma. I've been enjoying some black & tan's lately using some Coopers commercial stout, & then opening a bottle of this occasionally in the same drinking session, that made that aspect more obvious.

If analyzing how to improve the beer/recipe, it needs another vanilla bean during the dry hop phase, surprisingly it lacks a little body, & I probably wouldn't bother with the hop based dry hop again as this beer style doesn't really lend itself to get the most out of it due to the extended aging time. There is also a small pectin based issue around coming directly from the fruit, although it appears to dissipate with age, that could also be looked into. Also considering a dry hop type phase with some of the fruit as possibly being more beneficial than with hops for a beer like this.

Despite those negatives, it's becoming a more & more enjoyable beer to drink as it ages. happy

For my first real exposure to the Coopers Porter kit & my first foray into using fruit directly in a brew, I'm very happy with where this experimental beer currently is drinking-wise.

Learning is always good. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

kebhVKn.jpg

A K+B EB recipe I copied off Hairy' date=' plus some pork crackle [img']w00t[/img]

Great drop!! Cheers Hairy.

This is the closest thing to an afternoon delight I get these days.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edit- Pic.

That is a great looking English Bitter there Dave, but the pork sick sorry

Cheers

kebhVKn.jpg

A K+B EB recipe I copied off Hairy' date=' plus some pork crackle [img']w00t[/img]

Great drop!! Cheers Hairy.

Glad it worked out. It is pretty hard to stuff up the Coopers EB kit though. I think it is one of their best kits.

Cracked into a bottle of the Red Ale I made with a RedX malt. It has been in the bottle for 3 weeks now, looks pretty red, tastes awesome, but it's still lacking some carbonation. I used brewbrite for the first time, and used gelatin and a week long cold crash as I read that clarity is really important to get a nice red colour from RedX. So maybe is just a a bit slow going with the carbonation. Time will tell I guess. Anyway, its got enough bubbles its just not where I wanted it to be. HPANg2u.jpg

It's not really a LCPA clone. My Victory Pale Ale, it has a nice and quite prominent hit of Grapefruit that lingers on the palate. I've never noticed this before the hop schedule with the Pale Ale kit was:

25g Centennial at 15 minutes

15g Cascade at 10 minutes

15g Galaxy at 5 minutes

500g of LDM and a mini mash of 250g each of Victory and Munich. US05.

Cheers & Beer

Scottie

Valley Brew

Had a few last night which I'm feeling the effects of this morning!

Tried my Cascade Draught and Celebration Ale (which were both made at the same time by splitting a tin of draught) - both taste great but not carbed up yet! damn cold weather!!

So went back to some of my previous brews - had a couple of the Devils Brew Porter which is mellowing and tasting quite nice now.

Also tried the Anzac Ale again - hasn't got any better so think,I'll be tipping the rest. Same unfort with my Hop Gobbler - that was a split EB tin with the Robo Choc recipe - the RC came out real nice but something didn't go right with the HG one and is too fizzy and taste very average, so think I'll be tipping the rest of that one too.

Stumbled across a couple if bottles of my Batman and Robin IPA (craft recipe) - hop flavour has faded now and just bitterness left. On the upside Scotties Styx River is still drinking well and my Dark Ale, Big Red One and Scotch Ale are all still goodhappy

Tried my Cascade Draught and Celebration Ale (which were both made at the same time by splitting a tin of draught) - both taste great but not carbed up yet! damn cold weather!!

So went back to some of my previous brews - had a couple of the Devils Brew Porter which is mellowing and tasting quite nice now.

Also tried the Anzac Ale again - hasn't got any better so think' date='I'll be tipping the rest. Same unfort with my Hop Gobbler - that was a split EB tin with the Robo Choc recipe - the RC came out real nice but something didn't go right with the HG one and is too fizzy and taste very average, so think I'll be tipping the rest of that one too.

Stumbled across a couple if bottles of my Batman and Robin IPA (craft recipe) - hop flavour has faded now and just bitterness left. On the upside Scotties Styx River is still drinking well and my Dark Ale, Big Red One and Scotch Ale are all still good[img']happy[/img]

Hey Payno

Since moving to kegs the only thing I miss is the variety of beers that can be sampled at any given time. I only ever have two kegs tapped, whereas like you in my bottling days I could easily have 1/2 dozen brews in their prime. Perhaps I should move to a three tap setup on my kegertaor or a setup similar to the one that BillK has.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Also tried the Anzac Ale again - hasn't got any better so think' date='I'll be tipping the rest. Same unfort with my Hop Gobbler - that was a split EB tin with the Robo Choc recipe - the RC came out real nice but something didn't go right with the HG one and is too fizzy and taste very average, so think I'll be tipping the rest of that one too.

Stumbled across a couple if bottles of my Batman and Robin IPA (craft recipe) - hop flavour has faded now and just bitterness left. On the upside Scotties Styx River is still drinking well and my Dark Ale, Big Red One and Scotch Ale are all still good[img']happy[/img]

Hey Payno

Since moving to kegs the only thing I miss is the variety of beers that can be sampled at any given time. I only ever have two kegs tapped, whereas like you in my bottling days I could easily have 1/2 dozen brews in their prime. Perhaps I should move to a three tap setup on my kegertaor or a setup similar to the one that BillK has.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Yeah Scottie - I don't think I will go to kegs for that reason. I really like having the variety of beers available. I was like that before I started brewing - I stopped buying slabs of beer a few years ago and instead would buy 3 different 6 packs on the weekend so I could have a variety of beers and try different ones. Then a brewery opened up near me that has an awesome range of craft beers where you can select mixed 6 packs for $25 each - so I used to go home with 12 different beers, loved the experience of the different tastes. hence when I started brewing I went a bit mad with the two FV's to get a stockpile of different beers - I currently have 10 different brews, although some are past their best or not that good to begin with!

Not right now, because it's before 10am on a Monday morning; but my current drinking brew is a Coopers APA made up with extra hops.

So the can, + 40g Cascade (boiled 25 mins) 20g Galaxy (boiled 15 mins) + 20g Vic Secret dry hopped.

Recipe was made up with 1kg LDM, to my usual 23-24 litres.

Fermented in brew fridge at 21c for about 2 weeks, then cc @ 5c for 7 days.

It's been in the bottle for just under a month, but still pretty good fresh.

One of my best brews so far, though a little thinner than my heavier malt brews.

Having kegs doesn't automatically mean you have to have limited variety. With a kegerator, sure you can only fit 3 in there, so you could either have two kegerators or build a keezer large enough and have 6 or 7 taps on it.

I have a three tap font on my kegerator, for now it's enough for me though. I don't need heaps of variety because I don't drink a lot of styles of beer. Generally with each block of 3 kegs, I'll brew one CZ pilsner as it is a favourite, and the other two change between pale ale, red ale, ESBs and darker beers like stouts and porters, just depends what I feel like at any given time. The next block of 3 will feature a German style lager, a red ale and a stout.

I guess also knowing there are only a few styles I really enjoy makes it easier too as I don't have the desire to experiment with brewing styles I don't like. Occasionally I'll try something different like a brown ale or an IPA, but the wheat beers and funky styles aren't my thing at all.

If I make batches big enough to bottle the surplus then I can have a bit of bottled variety though, as long as I don't drink them all first.. tonguelol

Cheers

Kelsey

Not right now' date=' because it's before 10am on a Monday morning; but my current drinking brew is a Coopers APA made up with extra hops.

So the can, + 40g Cascade (boiled 25 mins) 20g Galaxy (boiled 15 mins) + 20g Vic Secret dry hopped.

Recipe was made up with 1kg LDM, to my usual 23-24 litres.

Fermented in brew fridge at 21c for about 2 weeks, then cc @ 5c for 7 days.

It's been in the bottle for just under a month, but still pretty good fresh.

One of my best brews so far, though a little thinner than my heavier malt brews.[/quote']

love Coopers Pale Ale never fails

Good one Ben

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

I'm still on the Pommy Bastard Pilsner, which is a Czech pils recipe that I fermented with 1469 Yorkshire ale yeast due to an emergency. It has improved a bit with time in the keg, but I'm currently distilling some water so I can brew another batch after this red ale, and ferment it with the proper 2001 Urquell yeast.

13319949_10210047003000209_3163516854018585283_n.jpg?oh=26e1b269971d17a18cb4b9ddeb0ca407&oe=57C34205

Cheers

Kelsey

Nice one, looks well clear next to the mud I drink!

Had a Light Weight IPA earlier, really good hop forwardness and easy drinking, around 4%.

Waylon thinks it's bull crap but I drank it.

NO boil hops at all, all flameout and dry.

Also a great RIPA @ 74 IBU....

Archived