Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Success!

I cracked my 3rd brew for the first time last night (2 weeks in the bottle), wow!

It was a small batch using the Coopers Craft FV, so I've got to have this brew sparingly.

I took inspiration from the online recipe for "Columbus' Cascading Brown Ale" but I tweeked the recipe adding some DME, a little more hops to the boil and lots of hops for the Dry Hop.

1.3kg Bewitched Amber Ale

480g Light Dry Malt @ 10 mins

18g Columbus Hop Pellets @ 5mins

13g Cascade Hop Pellets @ 10 mins

Pack of Carbonation Drops

OG: 1.06

Started brewing at 27 degrees but for the most part it hovered around 20-21 degrees.

On day 10 I dry hopped 10g Simcoe 10g Amarillo 5g Columbus 16g Cascade.

Its FG was 1.01, which after bottle conditioning put it at about 7%, on tasting I couldn't really taste the alcohol, which could be quite dangerous :P

When poured it is quite dark brown with very little light getting through. It has a slight round caramel feel in the mouth, with a sharp hop bight, the aroma is awesome!

If I was to change anything I probably would boil the hops slightly longer, but really it is quite well rounded for my taste.

It certainly made the Cascade Pale Ale I had prior taste like rubbish :P

I'll definitely brew this one again, and also try and figure it out for a 23l batch.

5Bl20OW.png

First all-grain! Amber lager after 7 days in the bottle. Still can't tell if it's got a hint of diacetyl or it's just the malts, which aren't really masked by any substantial hops at all. It's not unpleasant to drink at all - I just haven't quite hit the mark. Yet.

Really happy with the colour, carbonation and mouthfeel though.

What yeast are you guys using in these beers? Are they English yeasts? These tend to reach FG but then slowly keep fermenting. Dark beers like porters and stouts also tend to keep fermenting slowly over months; I wouldn't have expected results like that in .

Is notty like this ? I primed my stout/porter low on purpose since I plan to try and have decent darker beer all winter long

Faye's Cider

Had a few pints with the old girl (Mother in law) tonight.

Great drop.

17L Apple juice

Fermented with Notto for 3 weeks @ 20C

CC'd for a week.

Transferred to keg and back sweetened with 2L Apple and pear juice.

45PSI for 2 days in the kegerator.

Dialled back to serving pressure.

Drink.

Cheers,

Dave.

Is notty like this ? I primed my stout/porter low on purpose since I plan to try and have decent darker beer all winter long

Honestly no idea, I've only ever used it once, but have to say I didn't end up with overcarbonated bottles from it. So perhaps it's one that is an exception.

I had my last bottle of my English brown. Well I've still got 12 bottles left, but they're all claimed by various people crying

It was really, really good after a bit of time in the bottle. I liked it better than Wychwood's Hobgoblin actually.

Now I'm torn between leaving the recipe as is when I re-brew vs tweaking the amount of Cara-aroma vs 150EBC British crystal and upping the chocolate malt a touch. I think I'll still try the recipe the changes, but I'm not so sure ... only one way to find out I guess.

Edit: I'm thinking of entering a couple of beers in the ACT home brewing competition in September this year just for fun. It's hard to decide what to brew, but this recipe is a real possibility.

Edit: I'm thinking of entering a couple of beers in the ACT home brewing competition in September this year just for fun. It's hard to decide what to brew' date=' but this recipe is a real possibility.[/quote']

Best of luck John, its a pity these ones are taken as it sounds like they'd go well in the comp.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Good one john,

Did you keep some hidden bottles for a rainy day...

I recon the crystal 150 made it the bomb it was John,

Ive gotta insane recipe for a hobgoblin dark with tons of crystal Im not so game...

Perhaps its a great brew possibly the same as yours?

What was you grain bill?

I

This amber lager is shaping up fantastic - it just gets better. After two weeks bottle conditioning there was no off taste of diacetyl at all, and with even a few extra days of cold storage in the fridge the difference is remarkable. A hint of sweetness and malt complexity, virtually no perceptible bitterness to speak of, but extremely clean and easy to drink. I'd up the hops next time around but I'm starting to think this recipe isn't a write-off.

Maybe I'm a decent brewer after all... just an impatient as hell drinker.

Good one john' date='

Did you keep some hidden bottles for a rainy day...

I recon the crystal 150 made it the bomb it was John,

Ive gotta insane recipe for a hobgoblin dark with tons of crystal Im not so game...

Perhaps its a great brew possibly the same as yours?

What was you grain bill?

I

[/quote']

Haha I did keep half a case hidden ... they then got claimed by wife, brother-in-law and best mate.

The recipe was:

90% Gladfield Pale Ale Malt

4% Simpsons Medium Crystal

4% Weyermann Caraaroma

2% Bairds Chocolate Malt

Fuggles & EKG @FWH

Plenty of Styrian Goldings @5mins

Ferment with Wyeast West Yorkshire (1469)

1.047 OG

30 IBUs

Sounds Great john,

Ive gotta a goblin recipe here from 250 clones magazine

Im not game to try it yet!

Its like 700g med crystal for a 19 litre batch and under 30 IBUs... LIke holey crap that cant be true!

Its like 700g med crystal for a 19 litre batch and under 30 IBUs... LIke holey crap that cant be true!

I just can't imagine that turning out a beer that's very true to Hobgoblin ... my recipe proportions are pretty closely based on an interview with the head brewer from the Brewing Network's Can You Brew It series, and it does taste fairly similar. The Caraaroma was a deviation, but added a nice flavour once it settled into the mix a bit.

You could brew the recipe you've got, compare it side by side with the real thing and let us know how close it gets or doesn't get! I'd do a small batch of that recipe though ... wouldn't want 40 litres of too-sweet beer to get through if it doesn't turn out well.

Cheers,

John

I definatly agree ide sure do a partial extract mash @ 9&1/2 l litres

Just checked recipe

For this is for the hobgoblin the dark ale clone

It asks for a wopping; 910g crystal malt in a 5 gallon/ 19 litre brew

An IPA.

Sticklebract FWH, 007, Brooklyn and Chinook at flameout, 007 dry.

74 ibu over 8% bottled.

Dank and fruity. Oh my.....

what a beer.

Lusty I will post you a bottle of this on Wednesday.

Red Back Ale

The Gladfield Red Back Malt is certainly unique, I have 500g (12%) in this brew. It has fruity aroma from the Mosaic and I am getting dry fruit up front and at the back. The dry fruit lingers a little along with a pleasant level of bitterness. First time I've tasted a beer like this one, certainly not disappointed.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Vally Brew

Red Back Ale

The Gladfield Red Back Malt is certainly unique, I have 500g (12%) in this brew. It has fruity aroma from the Mosaic and I am getting dry fruit up front and at the back. The dry fruit lingers a little along with a pleasant level of bitterness. First time I've tasted a beer like this one, certainly not disappointed.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Vally Brew

Hi Ben.

An IPA.

Sticklebract FWH' date=' 007, Brooklyn and Chinook at flameout, 007 dry.

74 ibu over 8% bottled.

Dank and fruity. Oh my.....

what a beer.

Lusty I will post you a bottle of this on Wednesday.[/quote']

Sounds terrific! I like "dank"! cool

I'll look forward to that not long after it arrives. smile

Soz for the late reply, I've had a bit going on of late. New GF, & my Grandmother passed a couple of days ago.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

New GF' date=' & my Grandmother passed a couple of days ago.

[/quote']

You bought a Grainfather? Sorry to hear about your nan...

I posted the beers today.

He may have meant Girlfriend (which may be what he refers to his Grainfather as; mine is my mistress) tongue

Lusty, sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Archived