Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

Interesting choice of glass for a beer, but good to hear it has turned out nicely in any case. happy

I sampled one of my Cascadian Pale Ales earlier today, this one from a bottle as the keg is not on tap yet. It has only been in the bottle just under 2 weeks, and carbonation is perfect. The flavour though was a bit interesting; I think it could probably use another couple of weeks. I daresay the hops were getting a bit old too though, because that typical Cascade flavour wasn't evident in the glass I tried. Was very floral actually, which I'm not used to with Cascade. They are all gone now, however, perhaps I've reached the end of the re-use cycle of that packet of yeast too. Will see how the latest batch in there goes first though which was brewed with fresher hops.

12439279_10209402709413272_1504761256505742285_n.jpg?oh=1e2a3feed824eed24b0e90d380bfe547&oe=577E8D13&__gda__=1467735719_d4a222b4d5f9e1642f84196891ef98ba

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting choice of glass for a beer' date=' but good to hear it has turned out nicely in any case. [img']happy[/img]

around these parts it's either that or a melamine tumbler with stars on it, and that wouldn't quite catch the afternoon light in the same manner

I went shopping for a good old fashioned ale mug at vinnies today - for the occassion - but all I could find was one with a florid engraving:

"Good luck, Dave,

From all your friends at Qantas

2004"

(not really my style)

An IPA.

FWH with Brooklyn, late hopped with Brooklyn, Hallertau Blanc and Chinook, dry hopped (hero style) with Brooklyn and HB.

Yum, yum, yum.

Passiona smell, early bitterness squashed by orange hinted passionfruit, bitterness then comes through with some malt lingering.

Hi guys.

I fast carbed up an American style pale ale brew of mine yesterday, & had a couple when I arrived home from work last night. Most enjoyable. joyful

There's just something extra taste-wise in a FWH'd beer. It really does imprint the hop's character into the beer. I was a little concerned about the bitterness @ 44 IBU from the FV sample, but it poured much smoother than that, so I'm quite chuffed.

The fast carb method of 2mins @ 40psi whilst giving the inverted keg a vigorous shake appears to also work very well. happy I might try & make a short video demonstrating the fast carb method.

This keg is not going to last long! biggrin

I bought some El Dorado hops for the first time yesterday, & will concoct a recipe up for them sometime next week.

Good times ahead. cool

Lusty.

ROTM Pacific Summer Ale.

Just a little under 2 weeks in the bottle, but carbed up enough for a bit of a taste.

Definite tropical fruit aroma/flavour, balanced out by a slight bitter mouth feel & after taste.

Will definitely do this brew again, & very interested to see how it turns out in the brew fridge compared to the current batch which was the last one to be done with the swamp box.

I'd have to say this is my best home brew attempt so far, even though I was restricted with having to go without a brew fridge.

I haven't even bottled a batch from the brew fridge yet, & already I can understand why you wouldn't go back to using less accurate temp control.

I'm sure SWMBO will be rapt with the blushing blonde that's due to be bottled early next week, though it'll probably take her the rest of the year to get through it; she usually only has one very small glass at a sitting, & even then only 2 times a week!

All the more for me I guess, & as long as her fave is available she won't be bothering me for some of my faves.

Today I had a couple of glasses of my Coopers Pale Ale kit brew fermented with re-activated Coopers Commercial Ale yeast. It's a bit lower in ABV than Coopers' commercial Pale Ale, more in line with the Mild Ale.

It's quite nice, clean, clear and refreshing - although there is a pear flavoured ester that's slightly too prominent. See how it goes with some more age.

I've got some harvested CCA yeast from that batch stored in the fridge, so I'll be interested to see how they go in the next batch. I'm thinking that will be something based on the commercial Best Extra Stout recipe rather than a kit brew though.

Edit: Then I had a Coopers Mild Ale to compare it with. Actually they're very similar, right down to the pear fruity yeast esters. The Mild Ale has a touch more body to it though ... probably because I used 500g LDM and 250g Dextrose instead of all LDM.

Flwlfpa.jpg

Hop2iT XVII

66 IBU and 8%.

Bittered with Brooklyn.

Pale, Munich, Wheat, Rye, Caramunich and a touch of Roast.

Late hopped with Brooklyn, Cascade, Chinook and Hallertau Blanc.

Dry hopped with Brooklyn and Hallertau Blanc.

Fermented with New World Strong Ale.

Yum, bloody yum yum.

Blundstone Pale Ale

20 litres

Thomas Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt

25g Galaxy at 5 minutes

US05

5% ABV

I am definitely getting the "toffee malt flavours" and aromas, the malt is dominating. Made to only 20 litres it is nicely balanced. At the moment I'm missing any hop influence from the kit or any hint of Galaxy. The initial glass on Sunday was all passionfruit and no malt w00t

It is very nice much nicer than it was on Sunday's first pour.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

This evening I tried a bottle of my first brew (Lager K&K from the DIY beer kit). Bottled it last Saturday, and thought I'd have a test to see how it's doing after 5 days. The excitement got the better of me.

Carbonation was minimal, but it was definitely drinkable. I wanted to see if the headaches from testing were still there tomorrow, and I feel ok now thankfully.

Had a very light body, with minimal mouth feel and no bitter or sourness. I'd describe it as weaker tasting and thin compared to other beers I'm used to. Certainly I am looking forward to brew #2 (Ale can & BE2 currently in the FV), and Brew #3 will be an IPA with some hop additions to the K&K kit.

Would I be correct in drawing a similar analogy between Nespresso coffee pods and properly roasted coffee, and Extract cans and AG brews, that you are going to get a lot more flavour from AG ? I am a coffee-snob (don't roast my own, but I am very selective of my beans) so I know what i do like in taste. Had a Nespresso machine for a while and found the flavours got a bit monotonous and similar after a while with no discernible difference in flavour.

Again, thanks for so much knowledge on here. Have 70 longnecks off Gumtree needing cleaning on the weekend, brew fridge to pick up and an STC-1000 in the mail. Am tempted to jump into BIAB but think I need some baby steps first.

RDWHAHB

I wouldn't say you get more flavour from AG brews, but they definitely taste fresher than extract based beers (unless you use old grain or hops). You can use unhopped light malt extract and add the same specialty grains and hops that you would use in an AG batch and end up with something pretty much the same, only difference being the AG brew will probably have a fresher flavour.

I don't remember what made me go to AG now, but I definitely noticed an improvement in my beers over extract ones. Now I enjoy it because I have absolute freedom and control over the final product, and the process itself is something I find fun to do. The science behind how it all works also interests me a great deal. smile

Would I be correct in drawing a similar analogy between Nespresso coffee pods and properly roasted coffee' date=' and Extract cans and AG brews, that you are going to get a lot more flavour from AG ? I am a coffee-snob (don't roast my own, but I am very selective of my beans) so I know what i do like in taste. Had a Nespresso machine for a while and found the flavours got a bit monotonous and similar after a while with no discernible difference in flavour. [/quote']

Heh, I know what you mean. My coffee tastes run at $19 a 250g bag and right now - mainly because of the money I'm spending on homebrew kit - that's had to go down. Down. Embarrassingly down.

Personally my next step up will be either in batch size or to all-grain brewing, and I'm pretty sure the latter will win out - the case-and-a-bit of beer I get out of a 10L batch is just about perfect for my antisocial lifestyle. But I'm not going to make the investment until I know I've gotten everything possible out of extract brewing and my process is close to perfect. Which is a ways off. It may be the difference between Nespresso and a hand-poured 80 degree V60 from gently roasted single-origin Nicaraguan beans, but if you're making dumb f***ing mistakes with a Nespresso machine, you're probably not ready to graduate yet.

I wouldn't say you get more flavour from AG brews' date=' but they definitely taste fresher than extract based beers (unless you use old grain or hops). You can use unhopped light malt extract and add the same specialty grains and hops that you would use in an AG batch and end up with something pretty much the same, only difference being the AG brew will probably have a fresher flavour.

I don't remember what made me go to AG now, but I definitely noticed an improvement in my beers over extract ones. Now I enjoy it because I have absolute freedom and control over the final product, and the process itself is something I find fun to do. The science behind how it all works also interests me a great deal. [img']smile[/img]

I dunno

I never had an extract or concentrate that tasted anything like a Maris Otter based brew. Maybe it is just the freshness.

I felt that going extract gave me control over the hop schedule and likewise going AG gave me control over the malt profile and therefore the ability to create bespoke beer.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Well, if the question was do you get a different flavour in AG than extract then yes, most certainly, depending on the malt make up. Obviously using MO as a base malt will lend a different flavour than a couple of tins of light extract.

But whether you get more flavour from AG, I don't think so. I just think it's a better flavour. tongue

Archived