Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a RyePA and I am now drinking a more sessionable IPA in a series I have named Better Than....

Pale' date=' Munich Rye and Chinook and Brooklyn.

6.5%, 53 IBU.

Fruity and spicy....[/quote']

Sounds nice. cool

Went & picked up the ingredients for my Pavarotti Pale Ale earlier today from Beerbelly & was told they'll be getting some Brooklyn hops in soon. So based on your recommendation, I'll definitely grab some & throw them in a Pale Ale or something soon after.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Have cracked the first Genmaicha beer. Day 9 in the bottle. served w/ smoked ham, jarlsberg, rocket and dijonnaise roll

Fantastic. Head's not nearly as good as my last one but I'm hoping that this early PET bottle is an outlier. Lots of bitterness, probably because I used more than half a 23L Pilsner can in a 9L batch. But the green tea and roasted rice flavour underneath it counters that. Not quite as easy drinking as the straight pilsner that's already quaffed up but it's strong, clean and really interesting. And no "extract" twang whatsoever that was noticeable in my last two.

Partner's reaction: "It's good." I eagerly await further unbiased reviews.

Trying my first ever SMASH beer this arvo during the brew day. This was brewed with Maris Otter malt and Centennial hops, fermented with US-05. It's been in the keg for a few weeks now but only just tapped it today. Loving it! I've definitely tasted this flavour in commercial pales before but I can't quite put my finger on what it is, very fruity/citrusy though.

I've also had a glass of the Cascadian Pale Ale which has been in the keg longer, it is very nice now too, but the earlier photo didn't do it justice so I'll grab another one soon.

The kegs are a bit over carbonated, but I know how to fix that issue in regards to pouring them now, and also to de-carbonate them a bit so no issues that can't be worked around. Next time I fast carb I'll reduce it in order to prevent the over carbonation.

Anyway, here's a pic of the SMASH beer I just poured;

13043756_10209702974039700_3662220819762368655_n.jpg?oh=af76bb3c22c2e80c09f23de43b7691d4&oe=57ADE7FE

Cheers

Kelsey

Otto's Red Ale

For those that don't know this is a perfect example of how big an influence yeast has on your beer. This is the second time I've brewed this beer, both times to Kelsey's original recipe but this time with Windsor instead of US05. The first one had a lovely hop presence and was similar whereas this one is malt dominated. Still a lovely beer but I feel as though I've wasted some Cascade.

IMG_08341_zpsgeljwlcs.jpg

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

That looks bloody brilliant Scottie! I think that's one of the good things about that recipe, you can make it hop forward or malt forward with yeast choice depending on what you want from it. I enjoyed it with US-05, but it turned out a little too sweet for me with 1318. Next batch I'm gonna use 1469 on it and see how that goes.

This is a glass of the Cascadian pale ale which is the oldest keg in the fridge at the moment, having been kegged about 6 weeks ago. It's certainly tasting better than the bottled version did although none of those lasted anywhere near 6 weeks.

12963740_10209702716193254_2343511044618437636_n.jpg?oh=a706b6031291ad41aa592fe6d0cab576&oe=57BA0B38

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers Lusty happy

Actually that red ale is next on the brewing schedule now that I have some Cascade in stock again, so I am looking forward to having that on tap again and also interested to see what result the 1469 yeast brings to it too. biggrin

Gonna have to de-carb the Cascade keg more than I thought, but at least the SMASH beer is pouring well, so I've been having a few of those tonight. It's pretty awesome how such a simple recipe can taste quite complex. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

I agree with you about the SMASH beer philosophy. It's sort of cheating it, but I plan to do a Falconer's Flight one when I can. I'm definitely guilty of over-complicated hop mixes in particular with my Pale Ale brews. It is a "Grail" of sorts I'm searching for on that one though. lol

I reckon your Red Ale recipe is gonna get a look in a bit closer to Winter for me again too. Especially since I brewed it to an extra litre the first time around! pinched

For interest sake I'll probably try a different yeast on it next time. It is a lovely beer. smile

Just had a taste of a warm sample of this Fursty Ferret clone I have clearing atm. Wow can I taste that Gladfield Toffee Malt! surprised

Some interesting stuff going on at the Beerlust Brewery atm. Some good, some not so good, but always interesting. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

lol I'd never done a SMASH before, but after seeing how this has turned out, I might have to do a few more. If anything, it's a great way of seeing what flavours a single hop brings to a beer. I never knew Centennial was so fruity until I did this, although I suppose I haven't used it in ways that would project that either in the past.

I'm quite humbled that other people enjoy that Red Ale, especially since the original recipe which you're all following was a total experiment. I had no idea how it would turn out when I came up with it, but when I tasted that first glass I decided that it would be a regular in my brewery and I'm glad that others are able to enjoy it as well. happy

Another malt on the list to try.. thanks mate. lol But yeah from all reports it sounds like a lovely malt. Definitely keen to give it a go.

Cheers

Kelsey

Here is the genmaibeer:

2JvvuYy.jpg

You can tell I rushed the cold crash and didn't use finings in this shot, though I think most of the bottles have been a bit clearer. Gone through quite a lot of it - it's a good beer. Next time I use the stuff I'll do a GenmaiPA though, and not only because the name is better. The genmai gives it a lot of that 'juicy' quality that a forward hop note would really back up.

I gotta say we've been just loving the Mexican cerveza kit with a little tweaking. It's tasting just superb. Better than any lager I've bought before. We've kinda got it crossed a little and seems to mimic a broader spectrum, not really a cerveza anymore

Black Knight and it was horrid, the first one was a gusher and the second once sick..

I bottled this one last April and once again I've had no success semi ageing a bottled beer. Probably 10 bottles left in the batch and I don't hold much hope for them. Looks like any stout this year will be store bought unless I decide to keg another 4 Shades.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Black Knight and it was horrid' date=' the first one was a gusher and the second once [img']sick[/img]..

I bottled this one last April and once again I've had no success semi ageing a bottled beer. Probably 10 bottles left in the batch and I don't hold much hope for them. Looks like any stout this year will be store bought unless I decide to keg another 4 Shades.

I've got the same problem atm with aging bottled beer Scottie. WTF is going on? sad

Poured one of my Blueberry Porters tonight @ 2 months aged. Gusher like you experienced & foamed out the top for a reasonable period of time before it settled enough to pour. What @#$%'s me off is I was so pedantic about every aspect of cleaning & sanitizing everything this time around, & I primed at half the rate I did my last batch of Porter. FG was steady over a couple of days & was at expected levels in the brew calculator.

My beer tastes fine once the gushing stops & I can pour it. I just don't get how the @#$% it is happening??!! devil

It's really doing my head in! pinchedpoutysad

Lusty.

What yeast are you guys using in these beers? Are they English yeasts? These tend to have a habit of pretending to reach FG but then slowly keep fermenting. Dark beers like porters and stouts also tend to keep fermenting slowly over months; I wouldn't have expected results like that in 2 months Lusty, but after a year in the bottle it's not a great surprise to hear of Scottie's unfortunate scenario there.

I'm glad I'm kegging my stout now actually, as much as I'd like to age it in some bottles, I also don't want to run into these issues either. Perhaps next time I might try an ambient fermentation at the same time as another batch is on in the fridge, and use the spare 7th keg to age it for 6 months or something.

What yeast are you guys using in these beers? Are they English yeasts? These tend to have a habit of pretending to reach FG but then slowly keep fermenting. Dark beers like porters and stouts also tend to keep fermenting slowly over months; I wouldn't have expected results like that in 2 months Lusty' date=' but after a year in the bottle it's not a great surprise to hear of Scottie's unfortunate scenario there.

I'm glad I'm kegging my stout now actually, as much as I'd like to age it in some bottles, I also don't want to run into these issues either. Perhaps next time I might try an ambient fermentation at the same time as another batch is on in the fridge, and use the spare 7th keg to age it for 6 months or something. [/quote']

I reckon that's I Kelsey as I didn't refrigerate these bottles either, so that have been sitting at fermentation temperature most of the time. I also used Windsor yeast on this one, it sat in the FV for only two weeks as I had to bottle it before heading of to Hawaii for a month.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

What yeast are you guys using in these beers? Are they English yeasts? These tend to have a habit of pretending to reach FG but then slowly keep fermenting. Dark beers like porters and stouts also tend to keep fermenting slowly over months; I wouldn't have expected results like that in 2 months Lusty' date=' but after a year in the bottle it's not a great surprise to hear of Scottie's unfortunate scenario there.

I'm glad I'm kegging my stout now actually, as much as I'd like to age it in some bottles, I also don't want to run into these issues either. Perhaps next time I might try an ambient fermentation at the same time as another batch is on in the fridge, and use the spare 7th keg to age it for 6 months or something. [/quote']

I reckon that's it Kelsey as I didn't refrigerate these bottles either, so that have been sitting at fermentation temperature most of the time. I also used Windsor yeast on this one, it sat in the FV for only two weeks as I had to bottle it before heading of to Hawaii for a month.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Had a couple of glasses of my, as I now dub it, Pommy Bastard Pilsner lol given that it was a Bohemian pilsner recipe fermented with Wy 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast. It's not fully carbonated yet, so I'll give it another week on the serving pressure and see how it goes. The flavour though, not as far off as I expected it would be, given the wrong yeast was used. I reckon it'll be a pretty nice drop once it's conditioned a little further, even if not exactly as it was intended to be.

Hopefully the next batch of Bo Pils I brew can be fermented with the proper yeast though! pinched

Cheers

Kelsey

SteveL Porter

Bottled 23/3/13. Last one............ Chocolate Liqueur, yum love

This is a great K'n'B recipe, I can't believe it produces a beer like this.

Cheers to SteveL.

(The last one I cracked open was way over carbonated. It was a gusher. The beer tasted great once it settled thoughunsure. This one was perfect unsurew00t)

Archived