Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

Whatever the case' date=' it's a really nice version of the recipe. [img']happy[/img]

Looks yummy.

It is. cool

Trust your forum mates & brew it sometime. tongue

P.S. A link to your Citra Rye IPA recipe would be appreciated from my end. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes this one was done to the original recipe in my red ale thread' date=' the only change being the yeast used was Wyeast 1318 instead of the usual US-05. I think this has improved it, but I will be trialling other yeasts in it in the future as well. [img']happy[/img]

Your Red Ale recipe is a really nice one Kelsey. I've already suggested to experiment with different yeast strains with it, & after reading your views on the 1318 with it, I can tell you now can see what a difference the yeast can make to it.

On a personal level, I would like to hear your views of the brew without that water treatment you mentioned that possibly over-sweetened the brew. That would be fair on the yeast (IMHO).

That said, you're smart enough to understand the impact of both in this most recent brew.

I plan to brew a beer using the Wyeast 1335 in the next few months that appears to offer similar malt friendliness, attenuation, but apparently finishes, "...crisp, clean and fairly dry.", as opposed to the 1318 that finishes slightly sweet.

Your Red Ale recipe using the same water profile you did for this brew, but using this 1335 yeast strain would be interesting as a comparison.

Firsthand I've learned what a massive difference yeast can play in the final flavours of beer with the same ingredients.

Malt & hop ingredients certainly influence beer flavours & aromas, but it is the yeast used that defines how forward & rounded those flavours present in the final beer. rightful

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes, I plan to brew it a few times with this yeast, even if just to get my money's worth out of the original smack pack, but the next batch I'll just be using untreated tap water. The water in this batch was just tap water with some CaCl added, probably about a teaspoonful. It will be interesting to compare between the two. Will need to get some more Cascade hops before then too.

I'm also keen to have a crack at a few brews with that 1335. From that description it sounds like it would work well in the way I like my English bitters. I enjoy the maltiness of them but I do prefer them slightly dry rather than slightly sweet. Will definitely have to let it loose on this red ale with that same water profile I used on this current batch to compare as well. cool

Also wouldn't mind giving the 1469 a go too.

Hey Kelsey & Anthony

Well here we are Regatta Day in the Southern Land and I haven't got any Red Ale to drink. However at this very minute I have 36 litres of strike water coming up to temperature. Will be using Windsor in the original recipe.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

A couple of nights ago I found a bottle of my pumpkin beer and put it in the fridge. I can't exactly recall when I brewed it but it would be at least 15 months old.

I drank it last night and, despite having lost some carbonation, it was a surprisingly nice beer. Probably better than when it was fresher. I have generally found that most beers that have been stored for more than 10 months taste significantly worse than when they were fresh but this one was different.

It was around 6% ABV, so a strongish beer but not Popeye strong.

I then chased it down with a nice tipple of Ardberg love

Haha is that the larger version of Ardbeg? A very nice drop though happy ... Last night I sampled another of my Belgo-inspired pale ales, which was very tasty. Followed that with a little sample bottle of Glengoyne 18YO ... beautiful! Usually I like the peated ones, but that was really good. And then I had to have a bit of my Timboon (just to compare), which is again very tasty in a different sort of way.

G'day Drinkers (in moderation of course)rolleyes, had a couple or more this afternoon, started with a Fruit Salad Ale (2 months in the bottle) using S04 yeast with a short boil and dry hop, yummy, then got into a basic Hop Gobbler ( 3 months in the bottle) base with MJ M79 yeast and 100g of Pacifica hops boiled and dry, fantastic and must be brewed again. happy

Then I tried a Original Best Extra Stout, CCA and kit yeast (5 months in the bottle) WOW, this has a punch with flavour and ABV, and loving it. happy

Brew beer and give it some time, some styles will reward you for this. happy

Cheers.

Haha is that the larger version of Ardbeg?

It is the pirate version; it has more R's wink

I am not familiar with the beer but I assumethe relationship is similar to that of Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale. Sparkling is the larger version of the Pale.

Cheers

This one isn't a home brew, but there's no thread for commercial beers as far as I know... anyway, I'm having a glass of the Innis & Gunn oak barrel aged beer tonight. It's rather interesting. I have had a few before tonight as I bought a carton of it, but thought I'd post about it this time. It appears to be something of a pale ale, lowly hopped, but the oak flavours are quite noticeable in it. It's quite a sweet beer, normally I don't particularly like sweet beers but this one I don't mind, although one per session is enough for me. 6.6% ABV brewed in Scotland.

12741933_10209050472407567_175541890314252825_n.jpg?oh=c8c93f01861b21858d40f107a62c029e&oe=57267343&__gda__=1466376807_4519f0fc4a109d234a907934a9f7293a

Cheers

Kelsey

Haha is that the larger version of Ardbeg?

It is the pirate version; it has more R's wink

I am not familiar with the beer but I assumethe relationship is similar to that of Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale. Sparkling is the larger version of the Pale.

Cheers

Ardbeg is a whisky. It is a single malt Islay whisky that is peaty.

Ardbeg is a whisky. It is a single malt Islay whisky that is peaty.

Haha yes sorry to confuse' date=' I was just picking on Hairy ... Ardberg is to Ardbeg as Larger is to Lager [img']biggrin[/img]

I'm just relieved it has nothing to do with

. tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

It's a great feeling

hey? biggrin

How's the beer tasting?

The beer is great; only one week in the keg.

I think it is one of my best ESBs. So far I have never been truly happy with my AG ESBs, they have been drinkable but not memorable.

This one is really nice. The Special B was a nice touch.

They definitely get better quicker in kegs. I find the flavour better than in bottles personally too.

I'll be kegging my own version of an ESB tomorrow actually so will have a taster next weekend.

In the meantime I'm having a few of my Chinook pale ales tonight. It's not bad but I think the Chinook goes better if it is blended with another hop like Cascade or something. On its own it's a bit full on. Still not a bad beer though. Pretty nice on a hot summer night with a thunderstorm hanging around.

12705774_10209081090493000_1936306581999910665_n.jpg?oh=317f13a975eeae3f257231bbbf855e11&oe=5766F2BA&__gda__=1461913723_e24a81faa9db26ad83ea750df756b019

Cheers

Kelsey

It's a great feeling

hey? biggrin

How's the beer tasting?

The beer is great; only one week in the keg.

I think it is one of my best ESBs. So far I have never been truly happy with my AG ESBs' date=' they have been drinkable but not memorable.

This one is really nice. The Special B was a nice touch.[/quote']

Congrats on the beer & the first pour(s) from the keg Hairy! happy

If there was ever a candidate for the switch to kegging it was you! I knew you'd appreciate it on a number of levels. wink

In the meantime I'm having a few of my Chinook pale ales tonight. It's not bad but I think the Chinook goes better if it is blended with another hop like Cascade or something.

+1

Yup' date=' I mentioned similar thoughts around singularly using this hop back in post#42 of this thread.

I'm not perfect in all areas of brewing beer, but I have a really good read on a lot of hop varieties. [img']kissing[/img]

Lusty.

Last night I sampled a stubbie of my Centennial / Mosaic IPA. It's early days yet (only 8 days in the bottle), so should improve a bit over the next couple of weeks. Having said that, and of course I'm biased, but it was phenomenal, easily one of the best IPAs I have had anywhere in a long time. I can hardly believe I brewed it.

The Avery Brewing grain bill (94% ale malt, 4% Munich malt & 2% medium crystal malt) works really well. There is just enough body for the hops, but no sweetness to clash. Gives a nice dry finish too, although the bitterness helps clean up the palate too.

Actually there is a pretty hefty foundation of bitterness which is good. I'm glad I took the advice to up the early IBUs and ignore the total calculated number because I think it wouldn't be as good with less. It blends just about perfectly with the massive hit of hop flavour and then really lingers on your tongue afterwards. I have to say that Mosaic and Centennial is a really aromatic and tasty hop combo.

With the hops, I could still do some tweaking I reckon. My recipe was sort of tailored around the amounts I had on hand, so if I remade something similar I'd just use Cascade @FWH for bittering, then equal parts Centennial and Mosaic @5mins, flameout and as a dry hop.

My lovely wife bought me a mixed six-pack of my 2 favourite beers (Orval and Avery IPA) for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. I never thought I'd say this, but the Mosaic in this makes it slightly more enjoyable than the Avery IPA to me.

Speaking of my lovely wife, she also fulfilled a life-long dream of mine on my birthday weekend. Since I was 15 I've been buying Porsche magazines and dreaming of one day driving and maybe even owning one. She took me out to Helensburg for a Cliff to Coast Porsche drive day, where I got to drive 3 911s (a 1977 3.0 targa, a 3.6 litre 996 Carrera 4S and a 3.8 litre 997 Carrera S) and a 2.7 Boxster. It was just an incredible experience driving through the national parks and along the coastal roads and I really fell in love with the '77 911 (despite the unfriendly gearbox, heavy clutch and the feeling that you were going to lose the back end through just about every corner). I was amazed at how capable and composed the modern 911s were, they just ate up the corners and overtaking someone was so effortless with the wide powerband. The Porsche flat-6s are pretty special engines, so smooth and flexible, then really screaming through the last couple of thousand revs before redline. Sounded sensational! I don't think I'll ever forget that experience!

Archived