Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What are you drinking in 2016

Scottie

Maybe give the glass a clean too tongue Looks nice though!

I'm sampling one of the bottles of my XXXX Bitter rip off muck around brew. I think I got it pretty close although I don't have a real one to compare. Crystal clear, colour seems about the same, as does the (lack of) flavour lol. I don't mind it but maybe that's because I brewed it myself. Good time of year to be having something like that on tap as a lawnmower lager, though I do prefer the Czech pils. I used 500g raw sugar in this brew, which is about the first time I've used cane sugar in a brew since my first batch, except for a small amount in the ESB currently on tap. No cidery flavours in it whatsoever.

It was bottled last Thursday, so what's that 10 days ago. Probably 9 days carbonating and the carb level is already pretty good. Yeast has dropped like a stone in the bottles so I'd say it's done.

I won't be making this brew a regular on the rotation, but since I have enough Cluster left over I will have another crack at it with the proper malt and the 2042 yeast that is often recommended for these types of beers. Probably won't make a heap of difference though.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rkqI7tB.jpg

Lately I have been enjoying my Pilsner Urquell clone that I brewed back in late July. Posted the recipe here post#505.

I had issues with not hitting my gravity due to a slower boil off rate than normal because of the freezing cold Canberra weather. It's pretty similar to the real thing, just slightly underwhelming as I think its a touch watered down by those extra couple litres I ended up with. Anyway, its a nice easy drinking one for the summer and I'll have to brew it again now that temperatures permit properly boiling with my urn.

Hi guys.

I just blew a keg of a nice Bravo hop influenced APA & am enjoying the last glass of that atm. It just got better & better the longer it aged. The combo of the Amber LME & the Coopers Wheat LME worked very well flavour wise @ 21 litres.

Am also having a few of my first brew using the Moutere (Brooklyn) hop. It's a nice hop. You can certainly single hop with it, but I'm putting it in the category of preferring to mix it in with other hops for a pale ale/IPA type beer.

Nelson Sauvin & Riwaka are still my standout two hops from the shaky isles. Rakau is the last of the current NZ hops I still wish to try, & after that I reckon I have really had enough of the experimental side of using different hops in my brews. I have a broader knowledge bank with a larger variety of them now than most.

As a side note & for those unaware, NZ appears to have released a hop blend similar in dynamic to the well known American "Falconer's Flight" propriety blend, known as "Orbit".

Having done numerous brews with Falconers Flight in the past, I think it is a smart move from the NZ hop program. I'd like to know a little more about what hops are going into this blend though before purchasing it.

The Aussies are slowly waking up, but are nowhere near as progressive as the Americans & Kiwis outwardly at this point in the world hop market. pouty

Time for another pint,

Lusty.

Hi Morrie. smile

Speaking of Falconer's Flight. Has anyone got any ideas what its composition is?

Lusty - what did you think of it and did you just single hop with it? I maybe interested in giving it a whirl.

Falconer's Flight hops is a proprietary blend of a number of prominent American hops. The exact percentages of which hops are used is held in confidence. They would likely include hops such as Cascade' date=' Centennial, Simcoe, & at least two other hop varieties in the "5 C" standard version. There is also a "7 C" version that uses an obvious 7 hop variety blend.

There is actually a story behind how the blend came about, albeit a sad story. [img']sad[/img]

The Origin of Falconer's Flight Hops & Glen Hay Falconer

I've used this hop blend a number of times & it is fantastic! cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

Ahh that's a pity. This forum has the potential to be a really good one with tweaks. Its nice to be able to appreciate a post with a like instead of having to quote and answer all the time.

G'day PaleMan' date=' try Facebook. [img']wink[/img]

Cheers.

Ah no thanks, not for me.

Me neither. I don't do fake book but know a few people that do with all their fake friends on it.

Hello brew buds!

Currently enjoying a few from the keg of a very good Pale Ale beer I brewed recently.

Old No.15 Pale Ale

I'm very heavily interested in the hopping of beers, & have invested a lot of money, thought time, & brewing into understanding a wide variety of hops & how best to use them. This beer is a reward for that investment. The hopping in this beer flows very well from bittering, to flavour, & finally to the aromatics. It really is a lovely beer to drink. joyful

I poured myself one yesterday & offered my partner who doesn't drink much, let alone beer, a sip. While I was prepping some food she emptied the glass & said it was beautiful! Further more she has requested I brew more of this over the Summer! lolcool

Sounds like a good one' date=' Lusty! [img']cool[/img]

You be right about that my friend! happy

I guess I'll be brewing this recipe again. wink

ANOTHER ROUND PLEASE BARKEEP!! biggrin

Lusty.

Sounds like my missus reactions to pale ales too lol, aside from the last one I brewed which we both agreed was rubbish. Not a recipe issue, just the yeast. The latest one which I'm kegging next weekend is much better.

Anyway, I'm enjoying a pint of my ESB which is the only keg left on tap from the current block of three kegs. It's drinking quite nicely now and I'm enjoying the subtle caramel/toffee flavours from the combination of medium crystal and Caraaroma used in the malt bill. Could probably use a tad more bitterness, but it definitely isn't sickly sweet or anything. I'll brew more of these to use up the EKG and Fuggles, then I plan to experiment with some other hop varieties in this style. cool

Lusty, that beer sounds delicious! Very interesting hop schedule and methods with the hop tea and dry hop.

I will ear mark that one for a future brew. I love trying these new recipes and new hop combinations.

Thanks again,

Jools

Hi joolbag.

Thanks for the kind words. smile

...Very interesting hop schedule and methods with the hop tea and dry hop.

When you small volume boil (as I do) & use higher quantities of hops (like I like to do)' date=' you need to be aware of the limitations of your equipment. Pushing large quantities of hops into small volumes of wort can actually create more negatives than positives if you go too far. [img']pinched[/img]

Using a hop tea of pure water means I lose less wort to hop absorption, & secondly you gain better hop utilisation in pure water than you do in wort. As I'm not boiling the hops in water, I don't have any issues with harsh bitterness coming from them.

Once I understood the science behind it, it was a real no-brainer to go back to using the hop tea as a substitute for my flameout hop additions. I'm really enjoying the results. happy

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hi All,

Sorry I'm on the wrong topic here but I need help on my ginger beer.

I did a kit of coopers giner beer at 19l, added some crushed ginger and 2kg of raw sugar.

OG 1.042 and its been 3 weeks and only at 1.020, this seems low for 2kg of sugar. Should I leave longer or do I need to thow in more yeast?

I've had a constant ferment temp at around 22 degrees which has been good but maybe too much sugar for the yeast?

Appreciate any advice,

Cheers

John

I cracked a bottle of my first pilsner, my first brew fermented in a controlled environment last night.

It was a can of TC Pilsner, with 1.5kg Briess Pilsner LME and a 25g Saaz boil @ 5 mins.

I built a starter using M76 Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Lager yeast and pitch approx 410 billion cells at 10.5C. The ferment temp was 10.5C, ramped up to a diacetyl rest at 18C before a cold crash for two weeks at 0.5C. Fast lagering method that is discussed here and inspired from Brulosophy.

Well, was very impressed with clarify of the beer - almost crystal clear at two weeks. The bottle was only in the fridge for a few hours too, rather than a few days.

Taste - a little bready, I suspect that is from the yeast as my Munich Helles fermented with the M76 also had this flavour initially. I might invest in some liquid yeasts or try the Bohemian Lager yeast from MJ next time. The beer is far from its prime at the moment, and it tastes really green. Shows potential though, nice Saaz spiciness that reminded me of a good Pilsner Urquell. I look forward to seeing how this one develops over the coming months. I'll resist temptation and won't open another for a fortnight - 4 weeks in the bottle.

Otto, you have mentioned with your Bo Pils recipe that your kegs are aged and conditioned well before your bottled leftovers. How long until your bottles "caught up"?

Thanks,

Jools

I had a sneaky little taster of my red ale tonight, not a full glass just a small amount poured from the tap. Pretty well carbonated and tasting as expected. I noticed a nice little hop aroma from the Cascade dry hop this time too which was pleasing. Another successful batch of this brew happy

Otto' date=' you have mentioned with your Bo Pils recipe that your kegs are aged and conditioned well before your bottled leftovers. How long until your bottles "caught up"?

[/quote']Hey Jools, yeah the kegs do get better quicker. It's kind of hard to say now because the kegs get left for about 5 or 6 weeks before being tapped, rather than being carbed up and tapped pretty well straight away. From memory though, the kegs that weren't left sitting for weeks first got really nice after about 3-4 weeks on tap (and of course ran out at this point pinched), and the bottles were probably around 7-8 weeks before they were at the same level.

Cheers

Kelsey

I've been sampling my Galaxy IPA over the last couple of evenings. It has turned out very nicely!

It's really smooth and well-balanced, with a solid bitterness and nice hop flavour and aroma. There's no trace of harshness to be found from the Galaxy FWH addition. It came out to about 7.5% ABV after bottle-conditioning, and I think that combined with the Vienna malt (and I suppose the British yeast strain) gives a nice body and mouth-feel to the beer despite the 83% apparent attenuation. The head formation and retention is great.

What could I improve when brewing something similar? It is very tasty, but leans more towards being a higher-gravity, hoppy pale ale rather than an American IPA. I was slightly limited by the amount of hops I had on hand, and this beer could easily handle a bit more bitterness for the same (or slightly lower) OG. I'd probably double the dry hop as well for an even more intense aroma. I also think the Vienna malt percentage could be dropped down a little to around 10% of the malt bill. I'd happily use WLP002 again though, it worked really well in terms of attenuation and flavour.

Cheers,

John

Congrats on the IPA John!

The lowish weight of Galaxy @ FWH has likely been a good thing & has saved you from some harsh tones as not to be confused with bitter tones. Be careful of your weights of this hop over a long boil, as I see you mentioned looking for some added bitterness if you brew the beer again. I'd urge you to find another hop for that section of the boil if you do plan to increase the bitterness there.

I just had a quick schooner of the little TC Bootmaker K & K Pale Ale that I kegged & fast carbed up yesterday. I added a 30gm "C" hop tea to it & it has turned out very pleasant. happy

I'm somewhat relieved, as my first brewing of the kit didn't produce a beer I was overly thrilled with. That said, I do wish this kit had this sort of flavour without the need for an additional hop tea.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Archived