Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

36 minutes ago, Titan said:

Nothing really im happy with what im brewing. Just want to perfect each one.

My pacific ale is on version 8 maybe 9. Still haven’t perfected it yet. 

Ive been on the American pales of late. Got 4 or so now that don’t need changing.

• Like 3

I have finally gotten around to making old recipes again, 2 so far with the 2nd on fermenting away now, but I tend to adjust them just because I am always trying to make it better, I feel that the only brew that I have redone and tasted has improved with the changes but I am not so certain the next one will be, we will see. If It ain't broke dont fix it.....but we wouldn't be brewing if we stuck to that philosophy.

I will say that I do have 1 and only 1 recipe that I wouldn't change, because for what it is meant to be it is perfect, for my tastes. I have brewed that one twice and it is niiiicceee.

So for my too do list it would be to use the Munich lme I have, I might go with a lager thing or probably an ale because they never last long but I need to make more lagers so probably a lager with some Saaz or something noble hoppy.

Variations on pale ales with my regulars thrown in. Business as usual here. After 7 years I've worked out what styles I like drinking and what I don't, so I just brew what I enjoy. Another red ale is happening next brew day followed by some sort of APA, maybe the all FWH Cascade one I've been planning to try out. Need to order more hops to try too. 

After that a pilsner and probably a brown/dark ale as it'll be coming into good dark ale weather in the next couple of months.

• Like 2

The beers I talk about that I believe to be perfect are just that, perfect taste for what I am after in that style.

Sure there will be changes to that taste due to agricultural products. I’m happy with the changes in taste and aroma. With each hop, I change the AA value with each brew and adjust as much as I can to make it like the recipe entails. Is it the same every single time..... god no. 

I love going to wineries local to me, and if one year tastes the same as the next, I’d stop going to that winery. They should taste different from year to year, and so should beer. 

When I say perfect, it’s meant for that beer,  in that year. I’ve brewed a certain pale ale 6+ times, the exact same recipe only changin the AA levels and each time it was different but also perfect. 

• Like 1

I have two recipes that come out the same every time, and I'm glad they do because I like them that way. They are the Czech pilsner and the red ale. The pilsner probably varies very slightly from batch to batch but not enough to take any real notice of. 

Other ones I tend to muck around with a bit and change things up, so they taste similar but not the same. I don't have a standard house pale ale because I like to change the hops every batch. 

Mine are the same, but different. Probably been critical when saying different but yes different. A few mates say there is a difference when prompted but otherwise no. I taste the slight difference. 

These are the hoppier style beers too so possibly the dosage is the poison in this case. When adding all up 300 odd grams to a 25l batch it could be easier to evaluate a difference. 

Just bought the ingredients for all these today:

1. Pavlova Pale Ale
  2. Lemon Zest Weizen
  3. Hefeweizen
  4. Raspberry Blonde
  5. K9 Quencher

I also want to put a Caribbean Porter in there to age just a little for winter.

After a few months lightly brewing it'll be good to get back into it hammer and tongs. Need some more longnecks though as I've go a lot ageing at the moment. 

hitting old man GIF

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

After 7 years I've worked out what styles I like drinking and what I don't, so I just brew what I enjoy.

I'm probably going to start tailoring the beers I brew to more suit the tastes of others in my household.   E.g. no one seems to like my saisons and while they're not actually my favourite either, I don't mind them and they are a handy style to brew in Summer.   Similarly with porters and stouts -  they're just not well-received by others so given the lack of household popularity I probably won't be brewing them again - or very rarely.   In contrast,  the likes of golden ales, pales ales, ambers and beers based loosely on an English bitter etc are generally liked by all it seems so these will likely take priority from now on.   

• Like 1

Fair point mate. I only have one other in my household at the moment and she mainly likes pale ales and lagers but doesn't really drink much, which are my two favourite styles as well, so my brewing doesn't really have to change. I only brew porters and stouts once or twice a year as I generally only drink them in the coldest time of year. They aren't that enjoyable in 35 degrees and 400% humidity 😜 but I am looking forward to trying the strong stout I kegged last November in a few months time. It will have had about 8-9 months ageing in the keg by the time it's tapped.

I like to at least try other styles than my usual ones but generally I think, do I really want a whole 19 litre keg of this at home? The answer is usually no 😂

Start pimping my own recipes ... I have started doing recipes that require hop and grain additions so I want to start doing some of my own recipes .... playing with malts, hops and grain additions ...  nothing too flash but just seems like the logical next step ... 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Start pimping my own recipes ... I have started doing recipes that require hop and grain additions so I want to start doing some of my own recipes .... playing with malts, hops and grain additions ...  nothing too flash but just seems like the logical next step ... 

When I started delving into pimping and designing, using one of several recipe-design software options, it was then that things really began to get interesting.  😎

Move house ( grrrrrr) 

Tropical cider 

Czech pils 

Pick up my barrel aged RIS ( Mmmmmm) 

Series of increasingly darker beers to get me through our horrible winter. 

Tanning booth session 

*spring * 

Remember I like people and come out of hibernation,  get less stabby and talk to people again. 

Brew all my comp beers and then go silly for the summer. 

See you next year 

• Like 2