Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

Irish Red is next on the list... haven't done one of those for quite a while.   Will be a 20 litre all-grain - something else I haven't done for a long time.  It's a relatively low OG brew so around 3.5kg of grain to make a slightly concentrated wort with my 'stove-top' gear.   

👨‍🔬 

• Like 3

Kegged my asian lager last night and picked up a jar full of nice Danish lager slurry.

Going to utilise that on a couple of Reschs Draught batches which i am making as a concentrate.

Simple simple recipe. Not sure how the colour will turn out though as the 100gm roasted barley i made myself a few days ago. Looks about as dark as the LHBS ones but will see. 

Screenshot_2019-11-06-13-00-25.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’m finally going to brew this week with my last brew being mid October. 

Money has been tight lately with Christmas, car regos, s@“t breaking, kids returning to school, s@“t breaking, kids returning to sport and s@“t breaking. 

It will just be a simple pale ale. 85% pale, 10% vienna and 5% carapils. Hops will be simcoe and chinook and yeast is us-05. 

I have 4 empty kegs in a chest freezer without a collar but I’m pretty excited to brew again. 

BB1

• Like 5

Been on the look out for some home bars and haven't had much luck online, cant go to "thrift shops" etc atm due to being out helping with the bushfires so my search area has been quite small. Looked at some custom made ones but the prices seemed a bit steep to justify the spend. When I get back home it will be one of my priorities to go around and try scoop up a decent one at a decent price. Also filled up my cart on keg land with a twin tap conversion kit, just awaiting the MK4 regulators to come back into stock on the 25th then I can hit the button and hopefully I'm home when it arrives.  Not a bad little project to look forward to.

• Like 3

Overseas for work from Monday for the week so putting down a couple of lagers before i go. Got big slurrys of budvar and danish lager so a budvar clone and a reschs clone looks the go. Dont like giving the missus instructions for the fermentation fridge when i go.  So ill set it at 10c and raise it when i get home. Tends to be all too hard if i ask the missus. Maybe on purpose.

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

I loved Reschs back in the day when it was made at the Reschs brewery on Dowling St opposite Moore Park. Only thing that remains now is the main gate facade. 

Its still my go to beer when i go to the RSL every so often with the old man. Not many places have it on tap these days.

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Not many places have it on tap these days.

When I was back in the old home town just before Xmas I went to the local Cronulla RSL and it was on tap there. I had a couple of schooners but not the same as the brews i remeber from the 70's and 80's.    Will give the clone a go. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263

43 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Some of the best beer I have had was off the wood in the Breaky Creek hotel back in the late 80's. Was absolutely wonderful stuff. 

Yeah they have wooden barrel kegs, well they did, probably some Health & Safety crap now says they can’t 🤣

Brekky creek still have the wooden kegs. I had one there a few years ago and it was nicer than the usual stuff. 

I'll usually get one after playing golf but most of the golf clubs don't have much in the way of decent beer anyway. But after walking 10-11km it's good refreshment. I saw furphy ale last week, maybe I'll get that next time, at least it has a bit more flavour than the usual megaswill. 

Next on my list is a brew based on Theakston's Old Peculier - "the legend" (and yes, that is how it's spelt!)  

It's another commercial English beer that doesn't really fall exactly into any BJCP category -  a strong bitter/brown ale hybrid I guess.  I rather suspect a lot of the commercial guys don't give a **** about BJCP! 

Anyway, from a bit of research one key aspect of this well-loved beer is the use of molasses.  I'll be using 12% in the bill along side Gladfield malts.   Fuggles is the main hop featured but I'm going to put another NZ twist on my version by using Southern Cross -  a readily available (and cheap) NZ hop that has Fuggles in its pedigree.   

👨‍🔬

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

Well for AG #3 I am doing a Pale Ale. About 10% of the bill will a dextrine malt like carapils to get some body and head.  Will use about 5% Med Crystal for some colour and bitter it using Nugget flowers I have and flavour/aroma with cascade and a big cascade dry hop. Think I will try to get a very hoppy beer as I have 250g of Cascade flowers and will put them to good use. 

33 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Next on my list is a brew based on Theakston's Old Peculier - "the legend" (and yes, that is how it's spelt!)  

It's another commercial English beer that doesn't really fall exactly into any BJCP category -  a strong bitter/brown ale hybrid I guess.  I rather suspect a lot of the commercial guys don't give a **** about BJCP! 

Anyway, from a bit of research one key aspect of this well-loved beer is the use of molasses.  I'll be using 12% in the bill along side Gladfield malts.   Fuggles is the main hop featured but I'm going to put another NZ twist on my version by using Southern Cross -  a readily available (and cheap) NZ hop that has Fuggles in its pedigree.   

👨‍🔬

My dads old pub in Yorkshire ( that his best mate now runs ) still has that Old Peculier on tap, and you are 100 % correct mate, it is spelt like that.

I think there’s also a Theakston,s Bitter from memory, I’ll ask the old boy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

My dads old pub in Yorkshire ( that his best mate now runs ) still has that Old Peculier on tap, and you are 100 % correct mate, it is spelt like that.

I think there’s also a Theakston,s Bitter from memory, I’ll ask the old boy.

On a visit to UK last year, in Cumbria, on the advice of a local I tried a glass of Theakson’s best bitter. Ended up having more than the recommend adult dose. It is delicious! I think I can still taste it. Beautiful creamy head,uncarbonated,hand drawn from the cellar. Yes,the Old Peculier is lovely too. An interesting name and spelling. Something to do with bell ringers,I believe.