Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

As per my other thread, I'm kinda stuck in lager mode at the moment. Might finish up with an Oktoberfest and a 15L pilsner, then move back on to the good stuff:

1. Full-sized Galactipa
  2. Schooner/Ella Aussie Smash
  3. Pale, because I never make enough of these
  4. New BrewDog clones (probably "Slot Machine" and "Indie Pale Ale")
  5. A non-sucky stout, because my last stout sucked

Looks like I have a lot of work to do!

1 hour ago, King Ruddager said:

Oh yeah, I also want to try that parti-gyle technique thing too on a golden ale. Does that count as one batch or two?

I’m going to say one batch, two outcomes.

How you going to do that Ruddy? You run a BIAB urn yeah? 

• 2 weeks later...

Laying out my game plan for the next month or so. A good mix of lager and ale to take advantage of the cooler weather.

good patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

1. 1st borough lager
  2. @Beerlust's take on an Amber ale clone (just cos I got a Family Secret can for cheap at the supermarket - they had no price tags? )
  3. Caribbean Porter
  4. Black Pils
  5. Of course... the Island Toasted Coconut Porter
  6. and last on the list: @ChristinaS1's extract take on @Otto Von Blotto's Red Ale

Maybe not in that order but, maybe...

Got a plan for an $86 spend in the morning to have all ingredients for this sorted. Gonna be a busy few weeks!

Pointers from anyone who's tried these are welcome! Gimme some tips! Especially on hops additions. I've got a few spare packs lying around.

Cheers!

EDIT: I'm mostly Kits and Bits at this stage ?

Edited by elLachlano

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

1. Bohemian Pilsner - Fermenting away!!

2. Pirate Life IPA clone, 23L batch

3. Schwarzbier, 12L batch

4. Blonde Ale, 23l batch

The next 3 brews should see my brewing calendar full for the rest of 2018.

Beer Baron

Hey beer baron did u brew this Bo Pils with Gladfield Lager Light malt or some other malt? What's the difference in taste?

I have 5kg of gladfield Lager light malt I bought on special from Beerco and scratching my head in what to best use it in. I want to make use of the super light colour, so nothing with lots of crystal or other specialty malt additions. Was brainstorming last night, possibly a pilsner, or a Japanese rice Lager or even a cream ale

39 minutes ago, joolbag said:

Hey beer baron did u brew this Bo Pils with Gladfield Lager Light malt or some other malt? What's the difference in taste?

I have 5kg of gladfield Lager light malt I bought on special from Beerco and scratching my head in what to best use it in. I want to make use of the super light colour, so nothing with lots of crystal or other specialty malt additions. Was brainstorming last night, possibly a pilsner, or a Japanese rice Lager or even a cream ale

Hi Joolbag. 

I used 91% Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner malt from Weyermann. It is my first time using it so I can’t really comment on the taste yet but this is what their description is on a website:

Floor malting gives the malt a satisfying, earthy malt flavor and an intense aroma with notes of biscuit and honey. High proportions of floor-malted grain provide a smooth mouth feel.

I have never used the Gladfields Light Lager malt either but I think using it for a pilsner or cream ale would be a great idea and using it for 90-100% with low IBU’s well let the malt shine. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts when you use it. 

Beer Baron

DC7040E8-C839-4FC5-9FD6-BE5BB381E045.png

The lager light is...well, light. I bought it to brew a rice lager but never got around to it. Worked quite well in pacific ale style beers, where you want little malt presence and a crap load of late hops. Also used it in a couple of summer saisons that were light in gravity and a Pilsner which were all quite good. Appears quite similar to wey premium pils. 

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I’m leaning towards a rice lager for something different. I’ll try the cereal mash that is mentioned on this thread: 

beersnobs seem to Pooh Pooh Japanese rice lagers as megaswill. I’ve always had a soft spot for them, I think the rice lends an interesting flavor, kind of sake like. So I like them and drink them and want to try brewing one. I definitely will, just not sure if it is with this 5kg bag of Gladfield Lager Light or something else. I buy the Gladfield Pilsner malt by the sack and have been pretty happy with it for my lagers.

i hadn’t thought about using it in a summer saison! Will consider as well and post whatever I decide to brew

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 7:58 AM, joolbag said:

Thanks mate. I’m leaning towards a rice lager for something different. I’ll try the cereal mash that is mentioned on this thread: 

beersnobs seem to Pooh Pooh Japanese rice lagers as megaswill. I’ve always had a soft spot for them, I think the rice lends an interesting flavor, kind of sake like. So I like them and drink them and want to try brewing one. I definitely will, just not sure if it is with this 5kg bag of Gladfield Lager Light or something else. I buy the Gladfield Pilsner malt by the sack and have been pretty happy with it for my lagers.

i hadn’t thought about using it in a summer saison! Will consider as well and post whatever I decide to brew

Some more info for your cereal mash. Used this process in half a dozen cereal mashes on cheap rice bar the first part of point 1. I forgot to mill the rice on the 2nd or 3rd time i did one and it made zero difference to the mash efficiency. So i dont mill anymore.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/09/06/cereal-mash-steps-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

• 3 weeks later...

My last list was surprisingly pretty much completed so it’s time to think about what’s next............

1. Pirate Life IPA clone.

2. Black IPA.

3. Red ale. I want to make it night red like I am drinking blood. 

4. Pale ale with Australian hops. 

5. Another lager. 

I have 2 x 19L kegs and 1 x 9.5 keg. The plan is to always have a lager and pale ale/IPA in the big kegs and use the small keg for the experimental beers. 

Beer Baron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beer Baron said:

My last list was surprisingly pretty much completed so it’s time to think about what’s next............

1. Pirate Life IPA clone.

2. Black IPA.

3. Red ale. I want to make it night red like I am drinking blood. 

4. Pale ale with Australian hops. 

5. Another lager. 

I have 2 x 19L kegs and 1 x 9.5 keg. The plan is to always have a lager and pale ale/IPA in the big kegs and use the small keg for the experimental beers. 

Beer Baron

Would be very interested in the recipe and outcomes from 1 through to 4, especially no. 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...