Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

So my to-do list is more about techniques I'd like to try and process changes. In rough order of priority:

• 'LODO' brew with pre-boiled strike water and oxygen scavenger (next brew)
  • acidulated malt for pH correction (next brew)
  • mash hopping (maybe this next one too)
  • full lagering schedule (when I have a good backlog)
  • 23L batch like a real boy (probably partial mash first, but maybe a double stovetop batch? i am too poor for new kit)
  • bulk priming with wort? (this one will take some thinking)

• 2 months later...

Well I have all the ingredients on hand for the 4 brews I have left in my all-grain brewing career lol

1. Vienna Lager, 100% Vienna malt and 25 IBUs of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, fermented with WLP838
  2. Oktoberfest, 33.3% Pils malt, 33.3% Vienna malt, 33.3% Light Munich malt, 25 IBUs of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh, fermented with WLP838
  3. English IPA, 100% Maris Otter malt to a 1.063 OG, 62 IBUs with a ton of Styrian Goldings and East Kent Goldings at flameout and dry hopped, fermented with WLP007
  4. American IPA, 85% pale malt, 15% Vienna malt to a 1.072 OG, 76 IBUs with a ton of Galaxy and Motueka late boil, at flameout and dry hopped, fermented with WLP007

These will use up all the base malt and hops I have on hand nicely. Oh and the reason they're my last 4 all-grain brews for a while? My wife is expecting our first baby in mid-December, so if I want to do some brewing for a while after that, it will be fresh wort kits.

23L batch like a real boy (probably partial mash first' date=' but maybe a double stovetop batch? i am too poor for new kit)[/quote']

Jeremy, I have done this before using the Texas Two Step Mash method. Basically you brew a half size batch on day 1, and pitch enough yeast to ferment twice this much. On day 2 you brew another half size batch and add this into the fermenter. I ended up with a very tasty Saison happy

Well I have all the ingredients on hand for the 4 brews I have left in my all-grain brewing career lol

Oh and the reason they're my last 4 all-grain brews for a while? My wife is expecting our first baby in mid-December' date=' so if I want to do some brewing for a while after that, it will be fresh wort kits.[/quote']

Congrats ! , not only will you no longer have time to AG brew but sleep will become a precious commodity as well

Congrats mate! Hope all goes well. FWK's are a good idea in that situation even though they probably cost a little more... might have to go down the same road in a few years or whenever I start creating mini me's. lol

As for a to-do list of mine... no idea. I've got 3 full cubes of wort ready to be fermented over the next couple of months. I would imagine the next brew day will be a Bo Pils again although I will have to order some more Saaz hops first. I might order some other American hops at the same time that I haven't tried, to make the most of the shipping costs. Then since the weather will be warming up by the time all these batches will actually be on tap, I might do a couple of APAs so I can try out the new hops (for me) too.

Warmer weather !!! Down here in Radelaide its still jumper all day in my workshop ( bloody hate the cold )

whatever possessed me to move from Weipa home to here certainly wasn't the weather .

Will get 2 brews done this weekend in the interest of thirsty weather ahead

MO / Citra smash 4 % ABV and thinking 28- 30 IBU with mostly late/dry hop for Aroma

another Coopers pale attempt , this time will just buy whatever the good folks at BeerBelly suggest

That should keep stocks up so the Kolsch can have ferment cupboard all to it self when i'm brave enough to try it .

...Oh and the reason they're my last 4 all-grain brews for a while? My wife is expecting our first baby in mid-December' date=' so if I want to do some brewing for a while after that, it will be fresh wort kits.[/quote']

Congratulations John! cool

People, it should be interesting to see a few of the beer names porschemad911 begins to throw out there for some of his brews after the baby's birth.

Don't be surprised if you see names like...

Screaming In The Night Stout

Insomnia IPA

Throwback Throwup IPA

Burping Baltic Porter

This Sh!t Is Green Neck Lager

Lullaby Lager

tonguebiggrin

Seriously, I hope all goes well. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Alright' date=' lager weather. Got a Viking Beer to brew first, then it's time to take advantage of the ambient coldness.

1. Viking Beer (my seventh iteration!!)

2. Vienna Lager Smash

3. Pilsner (or perhaps generic Aussie lager)

4. Oktoberfest

5. Something inspired?[/quote']

Holy moly, I actually did all of those! Even the "something inspired", which turned out to be the ESVA ROTM. The ESVA isn't built yet but probably will be this weekend.

Hmmm, what next I wonder? I'm out of porter ...

Alright' date=' lager weather. Got a Viking Beer to brew first, then it's time to take advantage of the ambient coldness.

1. Viking Beer (my seventh iteration!!)

2. Vienna Lager Smash

3. Pilsner (or perhaps generic Aussie lager)

4. Oktoberfest

5. Something inspired?[/quote']

Holy moly, I actually did all of those! Even the "something inspired", which turned out to be the ESVA ROTM. The ESVA isn't built yet but probably will be this weekend.

Hmmm, what next I wonder? I'm out of porter ...

How bout a great big spicy ginger beer or a fruit beer. just sayin.

I've just placed another order with Yakima Valley hops, this time for 2 pounds CZ Saaz, 1 pound Cascade, and half a pound each of Citra and Simcoe to test out. Or in proper measurements, 900g Saaz, 450g Cascade and 225g each of the other two. I use Saaz in pilsners obviously and given I brew a fair number of them and they use a lot of hops, I order big amounts for them. Cascade is one of my favourite hops and I haven't had it in stock much in recent times so time to rectify that. I've heard good things about the other two varieties too, so on the to-do list once they get here is a couple of pale ale batches to test them out on their own and then I'll look at some combos, as I still have Chinook and Centennial here, as well as some Super Galena.

I've just placed another order with Yakima Valley hops' date=' this time for 2 pounds CZ Saaz, 1 pound Cascade, and half a pound each of Citra and Simcoe to test out. Or in proper measurements, 900g Saaz, 450g Cascade and 225g each of the other two. I use Saaz in pilsners obviously and given I brew a fair number of them and they use a lot of hops, I order big amounts for them. Cascade is one of my favourite hops and I haven't had it in stock much in recent times so time to rectify that. I've heard good things about the other two varieties too, so on the to-do list once they get here is a couple of pale ale batches to test them out on their own and then I'll look at some combos, as I still have Chinook and Centennial here, as well as some Super Galena.[/quote']

Nice one Otto, thought my hop head days were behind me but ya got my lips puckering for a nice APA right now. Think ill pop into Danny's tomorrow and grab a Sierra and a Big Eye, its been a while.

Ill get down to the Hervey Bay HBS this week and grab a pack of Cascade for the Cascade Draught. I was thinking about a specialty grain to improve body as well.

...Oh and the reason they're my last 4 all-grain brews for a while? My wife is expecting our first baby in mid-December' date=' so if I want to do some brewing for a while after that, it will be fresh wort kits.[/quote']

Congratulations John! cool]

Congratulations John.

Kids are GOLD!

Children bring a lot of joy into your life.

We have just welcomed the 3rd mouth to our table, a month ago w00t

Just remember, the more you have , the easier it gets wink

All the best to you and your wife.

Cheers,

Dave.

I have a fresh order of hops that just arrived today, more Saaz for my pilsners, re stocked Cascade, and a couple of varieties I haven't tried before in Citra and Simcoe. So, obviously a pilsner is on the list and will likely be brewed next, and then after that I will have to do a couple of pale ales to try out the new hops by themselves first and then in combo later with others I have.

The AA% on the Saaz I got is just 1.3% this time around... I still have 45g of the 3.4% ones, which I used for part of the 80min addition, but given the AA is so low on the new ones I've had to use 265g of them to get to the required low 40s IBUs I'm chasing. Guessing this lot ain't gonna last too many batches! lol

• 2 weeks later...

1. Moutere (formerly Brooklyn) influenced Pale Ale

2. Thomas Coopers Crown Lager with Wyeast 2000 Budvar yeast

3. Galaxy Kolsch

4. Nelson Sauvin/Citra influenced Pale Ale

Good times ahead. smile

The AA% on the Saaz I got is just 1.3% this time around… I still have 45g of the 3.4% ones' date=' which I used for part of the 80min addition, but given the AA is so low on the new ones I've had to use 265g of them to get to the required low 40s IBUs I'm chasing. Guessing this lot ain't gonna last too many batches! [/quote']

1.3%AA . . . 265gms for the 40 odd IBU . . . Bahahahahahahahahaha!! lolloltongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Galaxy Kölsch!!! That will be an interesting brew indeed Lusty.

Next up I have the ingredients for:

86 Days pilsner + briess pilsner malt

Boonie's LCPA clone

Cooper's Cool Kölsch (swapping Hallertau Mittelfrüh for Helga)

Ill check the yeast and recipe and if the last two are fermented at the same temp, I will do a double ferment in my brew fridge.

Got lots more planned, will look it up and post another time

The AA% on the Saaz I got is just 1.3% this time around… I still have 45g of the 3.4% ones' date=' which I used for part of the 80min addition, but given the AA is so low on the new ones I've had to use 265g of them to get to the required low 40s IBUs I'm chasing. Guessing this lot ain't gonna last too many batches! [/quote']

1.3%AA . . . 265gms for the 40 odd IBU . . . Bahahahahahahahahaha!! lolloltongue

I know right? lollol

But, this recipe is best using only Saaz, so that's what it'll have to be... I hate to think how much I'm gonna have to add to hit that IBU figure with them ALL at 1.3%.

I was actually thinking of messaging YVH and just checking it wasn't a typo on the label and they're meant to be 3.1%. unsure

I was actually thinking of messaging YVH and just checking it wasn't a typo on the label and they're meant to be 3.1%. unsure

A bit deceiving on their website' date=' as all categories of Czech Saaz & respective crop years state "3 to 4.5% AAU".

Obviously roll the dice, & purchase their hops with your fingers crossed. [img']whistling[/img]

The 1.3%AA has me believing the hops may have been in storage for sometime. unsure

Galaxy Kölsch!!! That will be an interesting brew indeed Lusty.

It's more than interesting' date=' as I've already brewed 3 iterations of this beer & it's terrific! [img']love[/img]

Galaxy Kolsch v.3

My slant on the Kolsch style is a bit away from the norm, but I'm very pleased at where I'm currently at with this brew.

For the traditionalists, I use a bit of Ella in my Galaxy Kolsch. I hear a few saying, "I've never heard of Ella being a traditional hop used in a Kolsch?!". True, it isn't, but the male parent of Ella was derived from Spalt. Spalt is a traditional hop commonly used in European Kolsch brews. wink

I'm looking forward to brewing another version of this beer very soon. I might short boil some Vic Secret or Ella for the 20min addition this time & up the rye malt to 400gms. cool

Good times ahead.

Lusty.

Kolsch yeast makes for a very tasty beer, but it takes a fair bit of patience. I don't know how you find it Lusty and Waylon, but for me, Wyeast 2565 took forever to drop out and clear up. I imagine that subsequent re-pitches from harvested trub would drop out faster as the more flocculent yeast has been selected.

Edit: My Vienna Lager was bottled yesterday and I've got a nice jar full of WLP838 slurry in the fridge. Tomorrow night I'll be brewing my Oktoberfest. That is if my wife will let me with my buggered shoulder ... just have to be smart with using my siphon when I can and ferrying liquid around in multiple trips of smaller quantities, then convince her it will all be fine happy

i'm glad i held some of the 2565 starter back , the brew obviously didn't need it as it held a solid 50 mm of krausen for the last 6 days and beat my expected SG by 3 points .

now decanted and sitting in old vegemite jar for next time i feel like using it .

since when did feel need to have cultures of 4 or 5 different yeast in the house ? i'm blaming Otto here .... saves me money i know and starters are just friggin awesome .

Next up are my slightly tweaked versions of

Coopers Pale ale clone V2.1

another SmaSh ale depending on my mood when i order

thinking Golden Promise and Cascade ?

Another light bodied summer drinking beer , maybe a Bo Pils or another Kolsch

It's more than interesting' date=' as I've already brewed 3 iterations of this beer & it's terrific! [img']love[/img]

Galaxy Kolsch v.3

My slant on the Kolsch style is a bit away from the norm, but I'm very pleased at where I'm currently at with this brew.

Cheers for digging the link to this one. I might just put it on my to do list of I like the way my Kölsch turns out!