Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

1. Lusty's mosaic amber

2. AG chocolate oatmeal stout

3. Simcoe golden ale

4. Maybe a kolsch?

Flipped #1 and #2 why not

Hey KR, did you ever do the Chimay Blue clone from post no1? Haven't read the entire thread.

My list

1) Stout with steeped grains

2) Hefe

3) Belgian Strong

4)???

My list is:

1. Saison

2. Boerderij Saison ROTM (using the other 1/2 the hops)

3. Cascarillo

4. Pacific summer ale ROTM

5. English Stout

6. Real ale + fuggles

7. Alcoholic gingerbeer

hopefully getting 2 more fridges.

update:

1. Cascarillo

2. Pacific summer ale ROTM

3. Real ale + fuggles

4. Rocket's Red Glare

5. English Stout

6.Tsar's Tar

7.Rad Abbot

8. Alcoholic gingerbeer

9.Pale Ale Revered

10. Helgas cool kolsch

got 1 more fridge and the other hopefully on sunday.

Hey KR' date=' did you ever do the Chimay Blue clone from post no1? Haven't read the entire thread.[/quote']

I did. it was one of those ones though that made me realise I didn't really like the style anyway ... much like a dunkelweizen I once did. Also, the yeast harvest failed pretty badly so that put me off a bti too. Not a surprise considering it's been sitting in a 9% alcohol bath that it started at some point on the other side of the world!

My to-do list is short. Buy two more cubes to replace my current 3.5 year old ones as they are expanding too much when filled with hot wort, making it harder and harder to completely fill the bastards. (Who'd have thought it was so hard to find 25 litre 'clear' plastic cubes? rolleyes)

As for batches of beer, more light summer style quaffers on the agenda I think, various American and English pale ales to use up my existing hops. Then I can put in another hop order.

As for batches of beer' date=' more light summer style quaffers on the agenda I think, various American and English pale ales to use up my existing hops. Then I can put in another hop order. [/quote']

How are your home grown hops coming along, have you used any in your brews yet? any chance I could possibly trouble you for a rhizome next time I'm down Brissy way?

They're not really ready yet although I have done a couple of mini harvests so far for a total of 2g dried flowers. lol The varieties I have are Hallertau (which is going well) and Fuggles (which has SFA flowers). I'll throw the Hallertau into a lager recipe when the season is finished and all the available flowers have been picked and dried, but I'm not bothering with the Fuggle this year. I will just keep it alive, and hope for better results on it next year.

I imagine I could grab a rhizome off one or both of them if you'd like, although this won't be until like, June or July time. Will have to research how to procure one off the root system without buggering the whole thing up - another thing for the to-do list. tongue

Hey KR' date=' did you ever do the Chimay Blue clone from post no1? Haven't read the entire thread.[/quote']

I did. it was one of those ones though that made me realise I didn't really like the style anyway ... much like a dunkelweizen I once did. Also, the yeast harvest failed pretty badly so that put me off a bti too. Not a surprise considering it's been sitting in a 9% alcohol bath that it started at some point on the other side of the world!

What type of brew was it? I'd be interested to give it a go if it's an extract/kit.

I imagine I could grab a rhizome off one or both of them if you'd like' date=' although this won't be until like, June or July time. Will have to research how to procure one off the root system without buggering the whole thing up - another thing for the to-do list. [img']tongue[/img]

That would be awesome biggrin, I'm not in any hurry, my next couple of months are pretty full on anyways, I'm even struggling to keep up with the exotic chilli crop at present.

I am looking into getting some other variety rhizomes as well so will be happy to share some with you.happy

No worries mate. I'm only chasing a Cascade rhizome this year, and that'll probably be it for me as I don't really have enough room to have large raised garden beds for any more varieties than that. I'm reluctant to put them in the ground because the soil is hard as concrete and completely useless, plus it'll be easier to move them whenever I end up in my own house, if they aren't 'permanent'.

No worries mate. I'm only chasing a Cascade rhizome this year' date=' and that'll probably be it for me as I don't really have enough room to have large raised garden beds for any more varieties than that. I'm reluctant to put them in the ground because the soil is hard as concrete and completely useless, plus it'll be easier to move them whenever I end up in my own house, if they aren't 'permanent'. [/quote']

Got curious about the rhizomes and how to harvest them, I found a Youtube clip that is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvvj5Lu3bWs/html]

Also might have found an Aussie supplier of Cascade rhizomes, will see what I can get closer to June/July when they will be ready smile

What type of brew was it? I'd be interested to give it a go if it's an extract/kit.

Extract, but my main memory of it was that it was a bit like rocket fuel more than anything

2.25kg light DME

30g black patent malt

400g brown sugar

250g honey

20g goldings @30

40g hallertauer @ 30

15L batch

My next few beers are:

1. Stone & Wood Pacific Ale style beer - I have a heap of Galaxy to use.

2. American Amber Ale - with Cascade and Galaxy (I have a heap of Galaxy to use)

3. Smoked Beer of some sort, perhaps Kelsey's Red Ale with some smoked malt.

4. English Mild

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Craftbrewer has Brewbrite back in stock again, so a trip down there to pick some up before the next brew day is in order methinks. Now I just need to figure out what else to buy to make it worthwhile driving that far... lol

As for beers in the pipeline, next brew will be my first Bohemian Pilsner in a while, as I feel I've got the time available for its fermentation schedule without running out of beer waiting for it. After that I guess more APAs, ESBs etc. etc..

Looks like Craftbrewer has Brewbrite back in stock again' date=' so a trip down there to pick some up before the next brew day is in order methinks. Now I just need to figure out what else to buy to make it worthwhile driving that far... [img']lol[/img]

Might I suggest some Polyclar or Isinglass? One can never have too many clarifying agents! tongue

I am not as psychologically fragile as Kelsey so I can drink a slightly hazy beer without it ruining the taste tongue

Let's just hope for a CLEAR day (weather-wise) before the next brewday or you may not get out at all! tonguelol

biggrin

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

I'm sweet for isinglass lol its dosage is minimal (0.5-1g per batch) so I expect that 45g pouch to last quite a while. Could probably get some more Polyclar though. tongue

Maybe I'll throw out the 1318 yeast and pick up some 1335 or 1469 to have a go with. They sound like they'd produce beers more to my liking. I guess I probably do need another sack of Bo Pils malt too, have enough there for the next batch but after that it'll need topping up. biggrin

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just got back from Craftbrewer a little while ago with some more stocks. Picked up some 1469 yeast, two pouches each of Polyclar and Brewbrite, some tubing for the pump for my flooded font, a 25kg sack of Wey Bo Pils malt (just the normal version this time, not the floor malted one), a 90g thing of Cascade hops so I can make another red ale, and a 90g of US Cluster for my muck around XXXX Bitter type batch. While I was there they informed me that both Cluster and POR are no longer being grown in Australia, with Super Pride taking over.

So the to do list, well starting now I'm gonna re-do my ingredients inventory in Beersmith, since I just went down and worked it all out. As for upcoming brew days;

1. Bohemian Pilsner (this Friday)

2. Stout, most likely another Foreign Extra

3. Red Ale

4. Either another APA, ESB or the muck around XXXX batch.

I'll keep to a schedule of one lager for every two ales now, which should see me able to have a dedicated lager tap but also not run out of beer, as my aim is to stick 3 full kegs in at once, and then that should give me enough time to get another 3 full kegs ready before the last of the previous lot blows dry.

Cheers

Kelsey

2. Saison - Any recommendations on the best yeast to use??

If you want to use a dry yeast then try Danstar Belle Saison.

Ben10 has used a Mangrove Jacks yeast but I have lost track of the names of their yeast with the latest change to their lineup.

2. Saison - Any recommendations on the best yeast to use??

And if you want a liquid yeast, I had some really nice Saisons brewed with Wyeast 3726PC last summer. I liked this yeast slightly better than Wyeast 3725PC which I brewed a Saison with this summer.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...
Ok' date=' let's see how we're going ...

1. EB Porter

2. AG wheat beer

3. AG Chocolate oatmeal stout

4. Extract Golden Ale using Simcoe hops

5. Some kind of partial if I haven't yet done one

Going to plan for a change!

So, next priorities will be ...

1. AG chocolate oatmeal stout

2. Lusty's mosaic amber (which I will steal the recipe for and pretend it's my own on YouTube devil)

3. Simcoe golden ale

4. Maybe a kolsch?

Wow, still going to plan!!

One problem ... Beerbelly are out of US-05, so I guess I won't do the golden ale. That leaves the kolsch ... but I think I'd like to try something else instead.

All grain pale. Good idea. Well done fellas.

May I be so bold and suggest an addition to your To Do-list?

Give your youtube- channel some love!

It's been silent for over a month' date=' though you'd turned sober [img']crying[/img]

Yeah, I know sad Another victim of my recent inactivity.

Don't worry about sobriety though - been slaying that beast thoroughly