Coopers Community

To do ...

King Ruddager

After bottling my ESB today I have put some thought into my next couple of beers. Usually I don't brew the same beer twice, or if I do then I tweak it somewhat. But I have decided to re-visit a couple of favourites and try them on my new equipment and adjusting for water additions and step mashing.

The next two on the list are:

1. Red IPA with Falconers Flight, Centennial and Amarillo.

2. Mosaic Golden Ale

• 1 month later...

1. Last Minute Milk Stout (for Winter) DONE' date=' all gone[/color']

2. Wheat IPA DONE, four tallies left

3. Two Hearted Ale Clone (all Centennial IPA) CANCELLED

4. Coopers Steam Beer CANCELLED

5. Funktown – Golden Ale with Funktown yeast blend from The Yeast Bay – part Vermont Ale Yeast, part Brettanomyces devil IN FV #1

6. All Waimea mid strength Pale Ale Further down the list

UPDATE! Next up:

1. Blackberry Hefeweizen

2. 3711 Spring Saison

3. IPA with Rye, Mosaic & Centennial

4. Chad's BIIPA

This thread is fun.

After bottling the St. Clements Pale Ale this weekend I think this will be my "To Do"t:

1. Golden Ale with Citra & Galaxy

2. Grapefruit IPA with Centennial

3. might do an English IPA (maybe) though haven't seen any recipes that I've liked yet. Any suggestions for an Extract recipe in this category?

Cheers,

Pete

so today i went online with the free shipping with $60 or more from coopers and purchased what will be the last run of kits and extracts for me until santa brings me my BIAB urn and bits in dec joyful

i am currently offshore at work and when i get home next month i have a 3 month break which will ensure pure brewing blitz :)

i got myself

X2 Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

X1 Thomas Coopers Pilsener

X1 Thomas Coopers Irish Stout

X1 Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter

X2 Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract (1.5kg)

X4 Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract (1.5kg)

i fit two coopers fermenters at a time in my standalone brew fridge so my order of business will be

round 1:

smooth english bitter (crowd fav)

coopers sparkling ale

round 2

coopers dark ale (aus pale with half dlme tin)

dark sparkling ale (other half of dlme tin)

round 3

czech pils

aussie bitter (lagered)

round 4

english stout (preparing a long ageing for next winter)

dr smurto golden (to burn off the original lager kit and wheat tin i have lying around)

that will take me up to dec and give me a good range of brews up my sleeve and then the leap into BIAB so i can hang out with you cool kids!

• 1 month later...

Boy, it's been a while again. I did make the oktoberfest from my last post, and also a golden lager, pale ale, the "mystery beer" and a smash since then. Got some actual plans now though!

1. English Bitter K&K

2. Red wheat beer (partial)

3. Biab IPA

4. EB porter

5. Biab chocolate oatmeal stout

Yay for feeling inspired again! And not a minute too soon - I got down to a mere 55% capacity a week ago!

• 1 month later...

Oh sweet, I'm actually on track with this again! Well, actually, no I'm not. I didn't do a partial and I didn't do a wheat beer, but I did do a red viking beer and the EB is awesome.

So I think next I'll make a partial/mini-mash (because video) IPA. Time to go recipe hunting!

1. Partial IPA

2. AG wheat beer

3. EB porter

4. AG chocolate oatmeal stout

Fill kegs, fill kegs, fill kegs. That's on my to-do list. lol

Next up for kegging is my SNPA clone. The next two in the FV after that will be my first ever IPA, another batch of my red ale, and then I'm not sure. Deciding between doing another of the IPA so I can add oak chips to compare to the first one without them, or an English bitter/pale ale style to use up some of these Fuggles/Goldings I've got in the freezer. I'll probably do the English as I don't have enough Centennial or Mosaic left to do another IPA yet.

Apart from that I'm waiting on some 6mm gas line to arrive so I can set up my 4-way gas manifold for my kegs and ditch those annoying T-piece connectors. This will allow me to have 3 kegs connected on tap and use the 4th line to quick carb if needed. Also will make things easier if I have less than 3 kegs in there, can just turn off the valves instead of messing around re-working T connectors every time. pinched

I have to go to Craftbrewer again soon for some more ingredients and a spare liquid disconnect for quick carbing surplus kegs too. I would have got the 6mm gas line there too but I'm not sure when I'll get to get down there, will probably not be until my holidays start.

Cheers

Kelsey

Also will make things easier if I have less than 3 kegs in there' date=' can just turn off the valves instead of messing around re-working T connectors every time.[/quote']

I don't quite understand this one; what/why are you reworking? I have a triple font setup and if I have less than three kegs going I just leave that keg's gas (and beer) line disconnected...no reworking required...i think..or hope...

The way I figure it, there's nothing to stop the gas simply going straight out through the fitting/disconnect when it's not connected to a keg. Maybe I'm not understanding how these things work properly, but in any case I think it will a lot easier having a manifold set up where I can simply shut valves off that aren't in use.

The way I figure it' date=' there's nothing to stop the gas simply going straight out through the fitting/disconnect when it's not connected to a keg. Maybe I'm not understanding how these things work properly, but in any case I think it will a lot easier having a manifold set up where I can simply shut valves off that aren't in use. [/quote']

I like the manifold idea better too tbh.

The disconnects are designed to seal when not..engaged. they have a poppet type thing in there. http://pull01.kegworks.netdna-cdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/7/176212-ball-lock-disconnect-grey-mfl-b4_1.jpg

Having said that I do have a brass type one that i got second hand with my cylinders and it hisses when disconnected so they will eventually fail and probably long before the sturdy manifold valves would.

• 2 weeks later...
1. Partial IPA

2. AG wheat beer

3. EB porter

4. AG chocolate oatmeal stout

Made an extract IPA in the end ... oh well. Let's revise again, shall we? I think I'll promote the porter actually ...

1. EB Porter

2. AG (maybe partial?) wheat beer

3. AG Chocolate oatmeal stout

4. Extract Golden Ale using Simcoe hops

5. Some kind of partial if I haven't yet done one

• 1 month later...

Next 3 planned brews:

1. Coopers Devil’s half Ruby Porter (thanks for the freebie coopers!)

For 23 L batch:

1.7 kg Thomas Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter

1 kg light DME

2 kit yeast

OG=1.039

FG=1.010

IBU=32

EBC=36.4

ABV=4%

2. The Fruity Armadillo:

For 10 L batch:

1.5 kg light LME

0.5 kg light DME

0.25 kg crystal 120

5g Magnum (60min 16.38 IBU)

15g Amarillo (15min 15 IBU)

15g Citra (15min 24.38 IBU)

15g Amarillo (5min 6 IBU)

15g Citra (5min 9.75 IBU)

15g Amarillo (dry hop)

15g Citra (dry hop)

US-05 yeast

OG=1.069

FG=1.017

IBU=71.6

EBC=20.1

ABV=7.1%

3. Ginger Beer:

For 20 L batch

.98 kg Coopers Ginger beer Kit

1 kg raw sugar

0.25 kg dark brown sugar

0.5 kg light LME

0.25 kg grated ginger steeped for 10 minutes

2 kit yeast

ABV=somewhere between 4.5-5.5%

Some ripping times ahead there brewer's biggrin

Because I can fit simultaneous brews in the fermentation fridge:

1.1. Summer ale with Coopers Aussie green kit and Galaxy, Azacca, Citra hops

1.2. Plain old Coopers Mexican Cerveza for the masses.

2.1. TC Traditional Lager, kit yeast, Hallertau Mittlefruh hops

2.2. English ale of some kind, OS Real Ale, Notto yeast, decent amount of crystal grains and some Fuggles + Palisade or Azacca dry hop

3.1 ROTM Goodnight America lager

3.2 some type of new world hoppy lager

Then any other ROTM's that I can get my hands on

My "to do" list has always been restricted by my inability to have more than one batch going at a time. But that came to an end yesterday when I secured a pretty good brew fridge for fiddy bucks. So, the top priority on my "to do" list is to build another STC-1000 temperature controller.

I managed to get two of them on greedbay last night at $16 ea with free postage, so now it's off to the local Jaycar store to buy the project box and a couple of panel-mount 240V sockets. All things considered I should be able to brew two brews at a time as of next week.

As for brewing, my list is topped by the need to use my last can of Coopers APA in a brew, possibly a variation on the fruit salad ale, where I'll shorten the steep time of the hops and possibly dry hop at the end of brewing. My last batch inherited just a little too much bitterness from the hops (when combined with the pre-hopped kit) for my taste (although I'm getting used to bitterness.)

After that, a whole new arena of brewing opens up to me as I have a 15kg growler of Briess liquid malt extract on order, along with 5kg of dry malt and a kg of dry wheat malt. I already have some milled wheat on hand. Who knows what I'll end up brewing? I'm thinking of going with something really malty just for the taste experience.

Cheers

I had a to-do list this morning that is now almost done.

Since my hops are getting to the point of being ready to harvest I thought I'd make up a drying rack for them. So off to Bunnings earlier to buy some flyscreen, timber for the framing etc. This will be constructed on Sunday. I also decided at some point that next growing season I would move the hops from their pots into large raised garden beds and construct larger (taller) trellises with wires for them to climb up, rather than the mesh stuff in the pots. I'll obviously set up the garden beds and move the root system into them during the winter months. I will keep the pots though as I want to get a Cascade rhizome and possibly another variety as well that I'm undecided on as yet.

I also impulsively decided while I was in Bunnings to move all my specialty grains from the bags they came in/vac sealed bags, to plastic pails, so I picked up five 5L pails that hold 3kg each, and a couple of 10L ones for the malts I buy in 5kg lots. I now have my Caraaroma, Carapils, Med Crystal, Acid Malt, and Melanoidin Malt in 5L pails, and some Choc Malt and Black Patent in the 10L pails, though one of these will have to be re-purposed when I buy more Munich II. Not sure what I'll use the other 10L pail for yet, since Munich II seems to be the only one I buy in 5kg amounts at a time. Maybe I can use it for weighing out the malt bill on brew days or something. There are still some grains in bags, so I'll get more buckets another day for them to go in.

So now the to-do list is build the hop drying rack on Sunday, try and sort out some replacement rollers for my grain mill, and brew the next batch of beer on Tuesday, which will be a lighter more refreshing pale ale, lightly hopped with Cascade. Should be perfect for this time of year!

Cheers

Kelsey

Really need to try brewing a saison , tried a few commercial ones and there's still enough hot days left to enjoy something funky after work , the sunkissed weiss is quite nice after only 2-3 (?) Weeks in bottle and yet to peak I'm hoping

Bought a 6 pack of SNPA to try and re culture the yeast , does anyone know if they use different strain for conditioning ? So there's another brew to look forward too , thinking of hassling Otto if he can help me out with an extract version of his clone

Still learning plenty all the time , trying to make sure I'm doing the 1% things properly and listening to more experienced brewers to further improve the quality of my beer ,every batch is getting better !

saison is down ....went to a LHBS yesterday and saw a packet of danstar belle saison yeast wanting a good home so it found one ....bubbling away happy after 24 hours ( i didn't check it this morning because i was out the door at 5:00 )

fermenting at 23 to try for maybe ben harper funk instead of disco stu .

so will have 1 empty FV sunday so what to do next .....

1. Blackberry Hefeweizen DONE! Was delicious

2. 3711 Spring SaisonDONE! Was delicious

3. IPA with Rye' date=' Mosaic & Centennial DONE! Was delicious

4. All Waimea mid strength Pale Ale BREWED and drank over the Xmas break

UPDATE! Next up:

1. Hoppy red ale – extract with Falconer’s flight & spec grains.

2. Innkeeper’s Daughter Sparkling Ale - thanks Coopers!

3. Grapefruit Witbier – partial mash.

4. Sierra Nevada Stout Clone – BIAB.

5. Raspberry Saison – kit & kilo.

6. Chad's BIIPA

That should do for a bit. Got a heap of hops, tins & extract to get through

Cheers everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got a to do list planned for my next 5 brews happy

The first 2 are tweaked re-brews of recipes I've done before:

For the 3 after that, I've decided I want to get a feel for each of the hops commonly used in English styles in my freezer, so I'm going to brew a few lowish gravity single-hop English Bitters. I'll hop at FWH, 5 mins and dry hop, targeting about 31 / 32 IBUs, use 92.4% English base malt, 5.4% medium crystal & 2.2% pale chocolate malt for the grain bill, targeting an OG of about 1.035 and ferment with Wyeast 1469:

• Batch 34 - EKG Bitter
  • Batch 35 - Fuggles Bitter
  • Batch 36 - Styrian Goldings Bitter

My list is:

1. Real ale + fuggles

2. Pacific summer ale ROTM

3. Cascarillo

4. Boerderij Saison ROTM

5. American rebel ROTM

6. Alcoholic gingerbeer

7. Stout of some kind

update:

1. Saison

2. Boerderij Saison ROTM (using the other 1/2 the hops)

3. Cascarillo

4. Pacific summer ale ROTM

5. English Stout

6. Real ale + fuggles

7. Alcoholic gingerbeer

hopefully getting 2 more fridges.

Ok, let's see how we're going ...

1. EB Porter

2. AG wheat beer

3. AG Chocolate oatmeal stout

4. Extract Golden Ale using Simcoe hops

5. Some kind of partial if I haven't yet done one

Going to plan for a change!

So' date=' next priorities will be ...

1. AG chocolate oatmeal stout

2. Lusty's mosaic amber (which I will steal the recipe for and pretend it's my own on YouTube [img']devil[/img])

3. Simcoe golden ale

4. Maybe a kolsch?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow some great inspiration from some of these lists bandit

So my to do list ......

1. Abbey Blonde - going down Monday

2. Capital Pils - thinking of leaving out the extra bittering, will do hop tea or dry hop instead.

3. Kilkenny clone - have got a recipe using Morgans Royal Oak Amber ... would rather find a Coopers equivalent ... can anybody recommend a TC kit

4. TC Innkeepers Daughter

5. Coopers Canadian Blonde

Am looking at employing another FV as the wife has taken a liking to my beer and I can't keep up ....w00t