Coopers Community

Today's Tastings - 2024

iBooz2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

And a pint of the Black Stuff. If ever Mussolini was called upon to design beer pumps, they’d look like these

IMG_2358.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg

Is that a tap with Smithwick's Red or just Ale? IMHO, Smithwick's is to Irish Red what Guinness is to Stout. But they do not export the beer and you can get it in two places. Ireland and Éire. I can't even find a suitable clone recipe for it. At least not one that comes even remotely close. If it is just the ale, then Humptydoo 🙂 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stquinto said:

And a pint of the Black Stuff. If ever Mussolini was called upon to design beer pumps, they’d look like these

IMG_2358.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

IMG_2361.jpeg

Yeah that Smithhwick's red ale  caught my eye as well. Seems to be a closely guarded secret that they do not allow out of Ireland.

• Like 2

The pump says Smithwicks Irish Ale, but I’ve seen Smithwicks Red Ale in the bottle shops/off license. TBH I haven’t had a pint of it for 20 years or so, but it looks like I’ll have to have one before we leave

IMG_2371.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

The pump says Smithwicks Irish Ale, but I’ve seen Smithwicks Red Ale in the bottle shops/off license. TBH I haven’t had a pint of it for 20 years or so, but it looks like I’ll have to have one before we leave

IMG_2371.jpeg

And 🥁 roll?????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am getting to like this, I might try & brew something similar. 

It has a nice clean taste. 

20240401_145433.thumb.jpg.f4cd8aceae2b5f0569a7fee2936bc608.jpg

I brewed the ROTM Coopers kit. It only has 3.9% ABV and is only one week bottle conditioning, but it is really nice already. Great aroma and citrus flavor and at a bit warmer temperature it reminds me of burnt pineapple toffee, a bit like the Belgian Stella. Nice body and great head (the photo does not do justice, I had a big sip before taking it). Easy drinking, my son likes it two. Had two long necks in the last two days. I hope that I can lager it a little while cause I only have 24 long necks left. Even so I like to do mainly AG brews now (did one on Saturday) I like the idea of using Coopers unhoped Liquid Malts as a base and use different malt infusions, fermentables and hops (like in this recipe) to experiment  a bit.  Saying that, my next brew will be a hopped Hefeweizen, based on the Schneider Weisse Tap 5 Hopfen-Weisse, maybe with some Nelson Sauvin (have to start to search for a good recipe)

IMG_0711.PNG

• Like 6

Smithwick’s Red is just a marketing term for Smithwick’s Ale, it’s the same beer. A really good all round ale. I haven’t looked into it but I reckon it would be fairly straightforward to clone. 
Apparently it’s Smithwick’s Red in cans, and newer pumps.
Hard call between that and Guinness but I’d go for Guinness in Ireland.

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, stquinto said:

@Aussiekraut here’s a recipe that might be worth a go:

https://byo.com/recipe/smithwicks-ale-clone/

Cheers mate. I think I will give that one a go. I love Smithwick's. They say Kilkenny is the "export" version of Smithwick's but it doesn't taste anything like it. I can't stand Kilkenny. 

When in Ireland, I of course have one freshly tapped Guinness. But after that, it is either Smithwick's Red or Beamish Stout. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, stquinto said:

Smithwick’s Red is just a marketing term for Smithwick’s Ale, it’s the same beer. A really good all round ale. I haven’t looked into it but I reckon it would be fairly straightforward to clone. 
Apparently it’s Smithwick’s Red in cans, and newer pumps.
Hard call between that and Guinness but I’d go for Guinness in Ireland.

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

Lucky you Stquinta, I have always wanted to see the pubs in Ireland & the UK.

Have a Guinness or two for me mate. ☘️

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Cheers mate. I think I will give that one a go. I love Smithwick's. They say Kilkenny is the "export" version of Smithwick's but it doesn't taste anything like it. I can't stand Kilkenny. 

When in Ireland, I of course have one freshly tapped Guinness. But after that, it is either Smithwick's Red or Beamish Stout. 

Kilkenny is served on nitro (the draught version anyway), which might account for that. Smithwick’s also make other brews according to their website but I’ve only seen the Irish Ale/Red Ale in Ireland

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Kilkenny is served on nitro (the draught version anyway), which might account for that. Smithwick’s also make other brews according to their website but I’ve only seen the Irish Ale/Red Ale in Ireland

When I visited the "Brewery" in Kilkenny, they said they wouldn't export the Red, because foreigners wouldn't be able to pronounce the name right. Because it is Smittick's, not "Smith Wicks" 🙂 

• Haha 1

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on a crooked wall. It’s reassuring that I have a double batch that will be ready for kegging when I get back, it’ll be 2 weeks in the FV.

And a magnificent Irish bone-in ribeye, 6 week dry aged Angus. A couple of minutes either side should do it 🧛

And the father-in-law’s sheep dog. All I’ve seen him do is chase my car, not much use with the sheep 🐑 

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on a crooked wall. It’s reassuring that I have a double batch that will be ready for kegging when I get back, it’ll be 2 weeks in the FV.

And a magnificent Irish bone-in ribeye, 6 week dry aged Angus. A couple of minutes either side should do it 🧛

And the father-in-law’s sheep dog. All I’ve seen him do is chase my car, not much use with the sheep 🐑 

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

Looks like a dog-dog to me.🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

IMG_2392.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

Always amazes me why dogs chase cars they wouldn't know what to do with it if they caught it

• Haha 2

Another pub, another pint of Guinness. A gin and tonic before, the gin is made in a local village called Muff. Much merriment to be had by all (all right, only me, for I have a puerile sense of humour, according to SWMBO)

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_2406.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, stquinto said:

Another pub, another pint of Guinness. A gin and tonic before, the gin is made in a local village called Muff. Much merriment to be had by all (all right, only me, for I have a puerile sense of humour, according to SWMBO)

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_2406.jpeg

Interesting name for a town Stquinta, I dare not comment but do you find the Guinness pour/standard varies from town to town & which is your favourite.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:29 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Cheers mate. I think I will give that one a go. I love Smithwick's

There is a Better Red Than Dead Irish Red home brew that is fabulous, your favourite search engine should help locate it

• Like 3

I’m a member of the Stone & Wood club and every month they send me some tasters.

This months is a Spicy Margarita Sour 2 pack, now I don’t really have a choice what they send me and I don’t get into Sours but this is not bad at all.

Certainly smell & taste the margarita in it, aftertaste has a coconut style kick to it, not overly spicy or sour though.

7% ABV (only have the one). 

But not bad, I’ll give it a 7/10 

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I’m a member of the Stone & Wood club and every month they send me some tasters.

This months is a Spicy Margarita Sour 2 pack, now I don’t really have a choice what they send me and I don’t get into Sours but this is not bad at all.

Certainly smell & taste the margarita in it, aftertaste has a coconut style kick to it, not overly spicy or sour though.

7% ABV (only have the one). 

But not bad, I’ll give it a 7/10 

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

In theory it sounds OK, but I am not really into sours either, but Chili & Pineapple doesn't cut it for me, on a pizza yes.

• Haha 2