Coopers Community

WHATS ON THE MENU 2024

Couscous for dinner last night. SWMBO is (mainly) a veggie so she just has the vegetables and semoule. 
The lamb shank was really good - I cooked it for about 4 hours

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2003.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Couscous for dinner last night. SWMBO is (mainly) a veggie so she just has the vegetables and semoule. 
The lamb shank was really good - I cooked it for about 4 hours

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2003.jpeg

IMG_2004.jpeg

IMG_2005.jpeg

Feed the man meat, looks good Stquinta.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I think the ingredient list shows the problem - pretty damned processed IMHO 😵

Yes, you are right, honestly, I cannot see the point in eating chemicals made to look like meat when it tastes nothing like it anyway, but each to their own.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I bought these accidentally once in Coles as they were marked down, they were disgusting, but I do like my meat, no whatever I did to them, I could not get any flavour. I will be more careful. 

751425.jpg

Water, Pea Protein (16%), Rapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rice Protein, Flavouring, Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Colour (Beet Red), Maltodextrin, Pomegranate Extract, Salt, Gelling Agent (Potassium Chloride), Concentrated Lemon Juice, Maize Vinegar, Carrot Powder, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin)

Yes, the ingredients list sounds odd but if you break down beef to its ingredients, it would be a scary read too. Beef isn’t just made up of beef. All sorts of proteins, acids, fats, calcium, water and so on. The read if its ingredients is just as appealing as the one of faux meat 😀

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, the ingredients list sounds odd but if you break down beef to its ingredients, it would be a scary read too. Beef isn’t just made up of beef. All sorts of proteins, acids, fats, calcium, water and so on. The read if its ingredients is just as appealing as the one of faux meat 😀

Yes AK, I agree, it's a bit of a mystery box when you buy something from a Supermarket when you find out what is happening to our food behind closed doors.

Butchers too have a lot to answer for as it is all about presentation & customer purchases rather than quality.

• Like 1

In the 'Show us your BBQ' thread, a lively discussion took off about whether pineapple is acceptable on a pizza. I was in the 'Yes' camp.

Here is my inspiration from that discussion: A 'hamburger with the lot' pizza. Tomato paste is on the bottom, then mozzarella, cooked beef mince, fried onions, eggs,  bacon, pineapple, beetroot and a final sprinkle of cheese. I forgot the rocket garnish. It was delicious! @iBooz2 was going to make one too.

20240304_181929[1].jpg

20240304_191001[1].jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

In the 'Show us your BBQ' thread, a lively discussion took off about whether pineapple is acceptable on a pizza. I was in the 'Yes' camp.

Here is my inspiration from that discussion: A 'hamburger with the lot' pizza. Tomato paste is on the bottom, then mozzarella, cooked beef mince, fried onions, eggs,  bacon, pineapple, beetroot and a final sprinkle of cheese. I forgot the rocket garnish. It was delicious! @iBooz2 was going to make one too.

20240304_181929[1].jpg

20240304_191001[1].jpg

I am in the "Yes" camp too Jenny.

When I incorporate eggs into a pizza, I quite often use hard boiled or even scrambled, I just add to the last 5 mins or so before serving.

If they are seasoned as well, they taste even better than adding raw IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jennyss said:

20240304_181929[1].jpg

20240304_191001[1].jpg

Looks the absolute Biz Jenny. Patent that. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, jennyss said:

Yours looks like it would be a good feed for me @jennyss love a gooey egg.  And yes, pineapple has its place on some pizza's but not all.

As my pizza's usually take 12 - 15 minutes to cook in the Family Weber Q on the pizza stone I will think about very lightly beating say four eggs and pouring it all around the pizza and maybe doing this in the last 5 minutes or so along with the garnish of rocket lettuce.  I am going to use my home-made and smoked bacon, pre-cooked but rare beef patties broken up all over, pineapple, beetroot, fried onions, thinly sliced ripe tomato and just a touch of tomato pizza paste, but only a touch as I want the fresh ripe tomato to take over that flavour and the cheese of course.

Hopefully I will get to do this tomorrow and if I can make a little movie slide show of the build.  Looking forward to eating my fill.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Not the hamburger pizza. But one with a bit of everything including hot chilli's. 🌶️

423686580_274873745700103_8656942147091660201_n.jpg

@Tricky Micky You should call it the "ATO supreme".  Tax on the way in and tax on the way out.  I love a hot chili pizza too.

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2024 at 4:18 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah i spoke to a chook farmer the other week and it takes 50 something days for a chicken to be ready to eat! In saying that a red rooster chicken is small these days🙄

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 3:27 PM, stquinto said:

I think the ingredient list shows the problem - pretty damned processed IMHO 😵

Yes, it is processed. but take a look at what beef is made of:

Water: (61%) 
Protein (> 25%, varying) 
Fat (5-10% for lean beef, saturated, monounsaturated, ruminant trans fats) 
Fatty acids (stearic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid) 
Amino acids
Cholesterol 
Antioxidants (glutathione, taurine) 
Minerals (Zinc, Selenium, Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus, Creatine) 
Vitamin (B6, B12) 

To me, this sounds just as processed and unappetising 🙂 People look at the ingredients of fake meat and yell "Chemicals". Nobody does this for beef. We are made of chemicals, cows are, pigs are, everything is. The same compounds we say "yuck" to, when we read it on the packaging, we don't hesitate to eat when contained in beef.

We humans are odd creatures. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yes, it is processed. but take a look at what beef is made of:

Water: (61%) 
Protein (> 25%, varying) 
Fat (5-10% for lean beef, saturated, monounsaturated, ruminant trans fats) 
Fatty acids (stearic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid) 
Amino acids
Cholesterol 
Antioxidants (glutathione, taurine) 
Minerals (Zinc, Selenium, Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus, Creatine) 
Vitamin (B6, B12) 

To me, this sounds just as processed and unappetising 🙂 People look at the ingredients of fake meat and yell "Chemicals". Nobody does this for beef. We are made of chemicals, cows are, pigs are, everything is. The same compounds we say "yuck" to, when we read it on the packaging, we don't hesitate to eat when contained in beef.

We humans are odd creatures. 

It certainly does, straight off the land is always best, when I was a kid, the old man used to process chooks from the pen & straight to the table, the same with meat, neighbours had sheep or cattle & meat was either given, shared, swapped or sold, we used to go fishing to & trap rabbits & shoot the odd game bird.

None of these were processed or contained any chemicals & we took it for granted. Nowadays it's either illegal or you require a license or something.

Everything now is processed, injected & full of water & chemicals so who was better off?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It certainly does, straight off the land is always best, when I was a kid, the old man used to process chooks from the pen & straight to the table, the same with meat, neighbours had sheep or cattle & meat was either given, shared, swapped or sold, we used to go fishing to & trap rabbits & shoot the odd game bird.

None of these were processed or contained any chemicals & we took it for granted. Nowadays it's either illegal or you require a license or something.

Everything now is processed, injected & full of water & chemicals so who was better off?

This is not from a label of packed meat. This is what beef actually consists of. I guess besides some differences in amounts, pork, chicken or humans are made of similar “ ingredients”. We’re all made up of chemicals. 

• Like 4

Dinner last night. Pata Negra pork chop, and a salad I copied from a restaurant: cherry tomatoes, borlotti beans, Tropea onion, and some octopus tentacles and rocket. The neighbour brought over a decent bottle of Rioja too 👍

IMG_2017.jpeg

IMG_2018.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

• Like 5

It was my Birthday yesterday and I was going to give myself the day off on triple pay but thought bugger it I am going to do an Aussie Hamburger with the Lot - Pizza @jennyss.

So here it is, hopefully the video clip will work.

• Home-made pizza base after two rises. 
  • Some tomato paste (on account the market tomato's I used were very bland, should have used home-grown cherry ones instead) and also drips of some BBQ sauce.
  • Thin sliced tomato.
  • Fried onions (there was also onion in my beef patties along with some garlic).
  • Fresh cooked beetroot pieces.
  • Home-made and home smoked short cut bacon cut into bite sized pieces.
  • Crumbled beef patties, about 200 g worth.
  • More drips of BBQ sauce.
  • Pineapple pieces.
  • Three different cheeses.
  • Fired up in a very hot Weber family Q on a pizza stone.
  • Last 10 mins of cooking it was drizzled with 4 eggs lightly beaten.
  • Also in last 10 mins of cooking it was garnished with rocket lettuce.

I must say it's a bit weird.  getting that full on hit of a burger with the lot taste when eating this pizza.   I will cook this for some friends next time we have a pizza and plonk night.  I reckon they will love it.

Normally I can polish off half a pizza of this size, but this time I met my match, only got a quarter of the way into it and had to call it quits.  I was as full as state school lavatory.

But it was bloody fantastic, it could have done with just a tad more BBQ sauce, I think.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

Dinner last night. Pata Negra pork chop, and a salad I copied from a restaurant: cherry tomatoes, borlotti beans, Tropea onion, and some octopus tentacles and rocket. The neighbour brought over a decent bottle of Rioja too 👍

IMG_2017.jpeg

IMG_2018.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

Looks sensational mate. Especially your spuds!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

It was my Birthday yesterday and I was going to give myself the day off on triple pay but thought bugger it I am going to do an Aussie Hamburger with the Lot - Pizza @jennyss.

So here it is, hopefully the video clip will work.

• Home-made pizza base after two rises. 
  • Some tomato paste (on account the market tomato's I used were very bland, should have used home-grown cherry ones instead) and also drips of some BBQ sauce.
  • Thin sliced tomato.
  • Fried onions (there was also onion in my beef patties along with some garlic).
  • Fresh cooked beetroot pieces.
  • Home-made and home smoked short cut bacon cut into bite sized pieces.
  • Crumbled beef patties, about 200 g worth.
  • More drips of BBQ sauce.
  • Pineapple pieces.
  • Three different cheeses.
  • Fired up in a very hot Weber family Q on a pizza stone.
  • Last 10 mins of cooking it was drizzled with 4 eggs lightly beaten.
  • Also in last 10 mins of cooking it was garnished with rocket lettuce.

I must say it's a bit weird.  getting that full on hit of a burger with the lot taste when eating this pizza.   I will cook this for some friends next time we have a pizza and plonk night.  I reckon they will love it.

Normally I can polish off half a pizza of this size, but this time I met my match, only got a quarter of the way into it and had to call it quits.  I was as full as state school lavatory.

But it was bloody fantastic, it could have done with just a tad more BBQ sauce, I think.

That's just sooooo next level @iBooz2 Al, I'm going to give that a crack - Thanks @jennyss Jenny for the inspiration.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2