Coopers Community

WHATS ON THE MENU 2024

On 1/30/2024 at 9:22 PM, stquinto said:

Ribs on Sunday. Pork fillet last night

IMG_1707.jpeg

Those ribs look magnificent  @stquinto , would you mind giving me a short run down on how you did these?  Did you peel the fine membrane off first?

My HSSH always wants me to do ours in the slow cooker with a Maple Syrup, whole grain mustard and apple cider vinegar theme, with the emphasis on the maple syrup part, then charcoal grilled to finish off.  I would like something a bit spicier and hotter myself, but the HSSH will not allow me to stray, she knows I am easily tempted.  What am I saying? 😅

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2024 at 8:24 PM, Hoppy81 said:

Sensational mate. I'm going to make pulled pork dumplings soon for the first time, i just got one of these from Ebay.

Stainless Steel Dumpling Maker Dough Cutter Ravioli Empanada Press Mold Pastry | eBay

s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.63174ed48c9349db9ab0c11357c654be.jpgs-l500.jpg.cc1a245505054e7e9e797771e98ce004.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.d4734ccaa84e2470f226679d750971be.jpg

@Hoppy81 just to give you some feedback and the heads up on this gizmo.

Mine broke where the hinge is spot welded to the side of the crimper on the seventh dumpling so pretty crappy IMO.  I do not think this gizmo would handle a commercial volume and its probably quicker to learn to do them by hand as I found it a bit fiddly.

Plus its a bit too small for the brand of dumpling wrappers I use (Merino Brand from Woolies) so hence I was not able to put as much filling in them and it left quite a wide seam.  It did crimp nice and wavy when it worked.  I did 90 dumplings today so the last 83 were done by hand again.  I freeze them in meal size lots for a quick easy meal later on.

I have contacted the seller to see if he can replace mine, if not I will have to get some small SS rivets and pop rivet each of the hinge welds to make it holds together and work as it should.

I would be looking for a more robust and slightly larger unit if I were you and were going to use it in your pies and pints market set-ups.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Mine broke where the hinge is spot welded to the side of the crimper on the seventh dumpling so pretty crappy IMO.  I do not think this gizmo would handle a commercial volume and its probably quicker to learn to do them by hand as I found it a bit fiddly.

Plus its a bit too small for the brand of dumpling wrappers I use (Merino Brand from Woolies) so hence I was not able to put as much filling in them and it left quite a wide seam.  It did crimp nice and wavy when it worked.  I did 90 dumplings today so the last 83 were done by hand again.  I freeze them in meal size lots for a quick easy meal later on.

I have contacted the seller to see if he can replace mine, if not I will have to get some small SS rivets and pop rivet each of the hinge welds to make it holds together and work as it should.

I would be looking for a more robust and slightly larger unit if I were you and were going to use it in your pies and pints market set-ups.

Well that sucks, I guess they are probably all the same quality then. 

Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Well, back to the false teeth then 😉

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Those ribs look magnificent  @stquinto , would you mind giving me a short run down on how you did these?  Did you peel the fine membrane off first?

My HSSH always wants me to do ours in the slow cooker with a Maple Syrup, whole grain mustard and apple cider vinegar theme, with the emphasis on the maple syrup part, then charcoal grilled to finish off.  I would like something a bit spicier and hotter myself, but the HSSH will not allow me to stray, she knows I am easily tempted.  What am I saying? 😅

Hey Al, the ribs came with the membrane off, otherwise I'd have pulled it off anyway. I rubbed in some dry spices and peri peri powder and left them overnight (in the keezer, ironically enough, no space an any other fridge). The dry spices were some random spice mixture I'd bought with cloves, coriander, ginger, garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, curcuma (dunno what that is in English off hand) and chili, all in powder form.

I put them in a oven for 2 hours at 160°C. Then indirect heat on the Weber for 30 minutes, I slathered them in the Rufus BBQ sauce (I'd have made my own but didn't have much time left), and wrapped them in foil. Then another 30 minutes indirect (as in the photo).

They were ok, but over here you'd don't get much meat on the ribs. Next time I might try more of an Asian marinade., your version sounds good too ! The Rufus stuff was a bit sickly TBH, and tasted like it wouldn't go out of date for within the next 15 years or so. if you get what I mean 😉

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A big soup is assembled and on the stove. Soup mix  (dried beans and peas),  lamb soup bones, neck chops and a ham bone were boiled yesterday and put in the frig overnight. This afternoon the set fat was scraped off and the meat was picked off the bones; and a ton of chopped vegies added - potato, parsnip, swede, sweet potato, leek, pumpkin, carrot, celery and mushroom. Salt and pepper are the only seasonings added.

20240218_152159[1].jpg

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, jennyss said:

A big soup is assembled and on the stove. Soup mix  (dried beans and peas),  lamb soup bones, neck chops and a ham bone were boiled yesterday and put in the frig overnight. This afternoon the set fat was scraped off and the meat was picked off the bones; and a ton of chopped vegies added - potato, parsnip, swede, sweet potato, leek, pumpkin, carrot, celery and mushroom. Salt and pepper are the only seasonings added.

20240218_152159[1].jpg

Takes me back to when I was a kid I can literally smell it on the stove also mum used to make a big pot of pea and ham soup yum

It looks great jenny

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 4

On 2/6/2024 at 4:45 PM, Hoppy81 said:

Well that sucks, I guess they are probably all the same quality then. 

Thanks for the heads up.

@Hoppy81 , the seller still has not sent a replacement for the broken one yet so I bought one of these - double dumpling press gizmos.

Made 120 dumplings today, most will be frozen in snack pack size lots for later on when I cannot be bothered or do not have the time to cook.  This double banger works well and is not as fiddly as the single SS unit so I am happy with this one. 👍 👍

You can get a motorised version of this one which may suit your business volumes much better.

Dumpling press mould - double.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@Hoppy81 , the seller still has not sent a replacement for the broken one yet so I bought one of these - double dumpling press gizmos.

Made 120 dumplings today, most will be frozen in snack pack size lots for later on when I cannot be bothered or do not have the time to cook.  This double banger works well and is not as fiddly as the single SS unit so I am happy with this one. 👍 👍

You can get a motorised version of this one which may suit your business volumes much better.

Dumpling press mould - double.PNG

Awesome, I'll have a look at them as I don't have faith in our other purchase haha. Cheers

Edited by Hoppy81
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was the chook from the other day. As well as brining (120g salt, 120g sugar in 2 litres of water, for one hour), I lifted the skin of the breasts and stuffed in a tablespoon of butter. Quite a decent method I reckon.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK, not a great presentation but the flavours were awesome,  pork handles spice very well  & so tender.

20240223_192646.thumb.jpg.b373427a3ae5f7e2d47259f770f95339.jpg

It is when you stick it in your mouth that matters @Classic Brewing Co, presentation is nice and helps in a restaurant but how it tastes is the ultimate adjudicator. 🙃🤔

• Like 4