Coopers Community

What are you drinking in 2024?

Wheatwine. Just 2 weeks in the bottle and carbonation is still a little meh. I suppose the yeast is having a bit of a hard time with this one and it'll take a few more weeks to get a little fizz into it, not that I want a lot anyway. The head is ok but disappears very quickly. It is very sweet, has a fairly high viscosity and still has a bit of an alcohol sting but at 11% before bottling I am not surprised. I guess it'll go away over time. Not bad at all so far but to be honest, I like the barley wine better as it has more to offer on the flavour front. We'll see what time will bring.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7a2cb8aa70bbc5b203c0da1447f106e.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Wheatwine. Just 2 weeks in the bottle and carbonation is still a little meh. I suppose the yeast is having a bit of a hard time with this one and it'll take a few more weeks to get a little fizz into it, not that I want a lot anyway. The head is ok but disappears very quickly. It is very sweet, has a fairly high viscosity and still has a bit of an alcohol sting but at 11% before bottling I am not surprised. I guess it'll go away over time. Not bad at all so far but to be honest, I like the barley wine better as it has more to offer on the flavour front. We'll see what time will bring.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7a2cb8aa70bbc5b203c0da1447f106e.jpeg

Looks nice AK, great colour, what flavour would you compare it with?

On 5/7/2024 at 5:14 PM, DavidM said:

Coopers Dark Ale 

Smooth As.. 103 days ageing 

Wow DM - what an amazing beautiful thing  🥳🥳🥳

Just clearly shows with your good process and good Coopers Ingredients - how good it is possible with HB Brew : )

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks nice AK, great colour, what flavour would you compare it with?

That is a good question. I haven't been able to discern tastes so far, besides sweet. There is a hint of bitterness in the background but at this point, it all gets overpowered by sweet and alcohol. It is reminiscent of a very sweet white wine, like an ice wine, in terms of texture and sweetness. 

There isn't anything exciting in the grain bill and I used Nottingham instead of Windsor like I used for the Barleywine. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

First taste test Flanders Red #4. 

16 days in the bottle but decided to crack the last bottle filled which typically has more yeast in it and carbs up quicker. 

First taste is all Brett then the sour comes through really nicely. Its not 100% carbed maybe 90-95 but i enjoyed it. I think this will be my best batch when the bottles get 3 months or so old. The extra brett i have been throwing in is working a treat. 

20240512_203325.jpg

Edited by Greenyinthewestofsydney
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

First taste test Flanders Red #4. 

16 days in the bottle but decided to crack the last bottle filled which typically has more yeast in it and carbs up quicker. 

First taste is all Brett then the sour comes through really nicely. Its not 100% carbed maybe 90-95 but i enjoyed it. I think this will be my best batch when the bottles get 3 months or so old. The extra brett i have been throwing in is working a treat. 

20240512_203325.jpg

Nice one mate is that 4th time pitched on the same yeast cake? Plenty of froth on it! Amazing beer 🍻 

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Nice one mate is that 4th time pitched on the same yeast cake? Plenty of froth on it! Amazing beer 🍻 

Yeah i have been taking part of the slurry each time. The 2nd batch was the full yeast cake but while i found it ok it was a bit unbalanced and over sour. Batch 3 and 4 have been part of the yeast cake plus some sacc yeast added plus a starter of brett ( sour batch kidz ) which i keep in a jar in the fridge and have been growing up for each new batch. The extra brett i added to rebalance it and it seems to be working a treat.

• Like 2

Another Taste Test Challenge: 013, Irish Red Ale, bottled 22/10/23, vs O'Hara's Irish Red Nitro.

IMG_20240512_194445709.thumb.jpg.952c34ea47031012f63bbaf94bff58cc.jpg

O'H had a thick, creamy, long lasting head while 013 had a quite small head that dissipated quickly. O'H appeared slightly darker but that may just be because it was more opaque.

O'H had a stronger malty with a hint of toffee aroma. I wasn't getting much of an aroma from 013.

O'H was creamy with a malty, toffee flavour and no carbonation. 013 was thinner but mildly carbonated with a slightly roasty, more bitter and less malty, toffee flavour.

I enjoyed O'H more than 013. 013 seemed to have lost some of the flavour that I recall from previous tastings although the roastiness was more apparent. Perhaps this was merely in comparison to O'H but it could also be due to the age of the bottle. That bottle was not "aged" in the aging fridge just shelf stored and latterly stored chilled.

• Like 7

017 Shrapnel Lager (formerly Pale Joey Lager)

I don't think I've posted this yet so I had to get it in before they all ran out. It has proven to be pretty popular.

IMG_20240513_191917871.thumb.jpg.989616c331d4c4b331d21296a631d568.jpg

This is the batch that I over primed and had to burp the bottles to prevent explosions. I gave it a rough pour and it had enough carbonation to bring up a decent head which subsided over a few minutes. It left a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

IMG_20240513_192846869.thumb.jpg.4c8ee243e24d3a3723ccf35120cfac0c.jpg

It was the first time I've brewed to my own recipe devised with the assistance of the IanH Spreadsheet. I used a can of Coopers Pale Malt to give it a decent malty flavour base and added some of the Citrus hops I got from the Merri Mashers Xmas party.

It worked. The citrus/grapefruit flavour sits nicely alongside the grainy/bready Pale Malt taste.

Here are the Brewing notes:

IMG_20240513_192123558.thumb.jpg.366190cbf0734497787a5adb4b3c63b2.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

017 Shrapnel Lager (formerly Pale Joey Lager)

I don't think I've posted this yet so I had to get it in before they all ran out. It has proven to be pretty popular.

IMG_20240513_191917871.thumb.jpg.989616c331d4c4b331d21296a631d568.jpg

This is the batch that I over primed and had to burp the bottles to prevent explosions. I gave it a rough pour and it had enough carbonation to bring up a decent head which subsided over a few minutes. It left a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

IMG_20240513_192846869.thumb.jpg.4c8ee243e24d3a3723ccf35120cfac0c.jpg

It was the first time I've brewed to my own recipe devised with the assistance of the IanH Spreadsheet. I used a can of Coopers Pale Malt to give it a decent malty flavour base and added some of the Citrus hops I got from the Merri Mashers Xmas party.

It worked. The citrus/grapefruit flavour sits nicely alongside the grainy/bready Pale Malt taste.

Here are the Brewing notes:

IMG_20240513_192123558.thumb.jpg.366190cbf0734497787a5adb4b3c63b2.jpg

Well done kegs

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kegory said:

Yum, that sounds good. Twenty minutes to beer time in our household. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Yum, that sounds good. Twenty minutes to beer time in our household. 

Hey Jenny, Classic Brewing Co - AKA Phil's Bar & Grill doesn't specify beer times as we figure "it's 5.00 o'clock somewhere" 🤣 🍺

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=alan+jackson+it's+5%3a00+somewhere&mid=764C341459F520DA33E4764C341459F520DA33E4&FORM=VIRE

• Haha 2

An Xbeeriment of opportunity: longevity & oxidisation.

The first (PET) & last (glass) bottles of 002, 51 weeks old.

IMG_20240514_210424230.thumb.jpg.ab571ddcc7b59fcdc875ff2c91d84dec.jpg

The glass bottled (poured first) had a slightly bigger and slightly longer lasting head. Neither lasted very long.

The PET bottled was darker than the glass by a couple of shades I reckon. I couldn't separate their aromas.

PET was lacking in flavour and seemed more watery. Slightly less carbonation, too. It remained drinkable only if one was desperate. I wasn't.

Glass retained some flavour. I'm finishing that bottle 😉.

The chloramine taste is still present but has faded a lot from what I remember.

• Like 5

On 5/9/2024 at 2:03 PM, Aussiekraut said:

I guess it'll go away over time. Not bad at all so far but to be honest, I like the barley wine better as it has more to offer on the flavour front. We'll see what time will bring.

Nice work mate on a big bold beer - age it

• Like 1

Coopers Sparkling AG this is a great beer after 2 months in the keg! It’s crystal clear,  nicely balanced with por hops and can just taste the commercial yeast esters! Very happy with this beer 🍻 

IMG_7195.jpeg

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

Bonzo Pils. Not sure how close it is to a Bitburger as I haven’t had one in a year or so but it is definitely a Pils and I can definitely drink a lot of it 😂 It’ll take more time to mature but is yummy already.

IMG_0206.thumb.jpeg.1069a0bf5689d907a0958950098c3f89.jpeg

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 8

My Stella Artois clone, 3 weeks in the bottle now, cloudy, not cold crashed but bloody delicious. Last night I tried a stubby  which was a bit flat and I was a bit disheartened.This one was in a Little Creatures Pint bottle and perfectly carbonated. Great beer, I am very pleased 😀 ( and the lacing is great too)

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1095.jpeg

• Like 12

Fermentis Saflager S-189 hence 'Swiss Lager' just plain.... Byordiful    🥳 🥳 🥳

A great yeast for elegant lagers with floral notes. Originating from the Hürlimann brewery in Switzerland.

image.thumb.png.03537be82323dd628c647d246641273a.png

• Like 11