Coopers Community

Fermentation temps

Goldcoast Crow

Just looking for advice, even though my brews always seem to taste great, as I live in SEQ the temp on my fermenter generally starts at around the 25-28 mark once I have done the mixing process…

apart from the yeast process happening really quickly, what is the main downfall as most of my gravity’s are generally at 1012/1014 after a couple of days max, mainly in the warmer months I should say.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Just looking for advice, even though my brews always seem to taste great, as I live in SEQ the temp on my fermenter generally starts at around the 25-28 mark once I have done the mixing process…

apart from the yeast process happening really quickly, what is the main downfall as most of my gravity’s are generally at 1012/1014 after a couple of days max, mainly in the warmer months I should say.

It depends on the type of brew & the yeast you use, if you haven't got Temperature Control, brew something to suit the climate & get something like Kveik Yeast, that way the possibilities are endless.

I’m at the early stages and interested in learning more about temperature for certain beers, yeasts etc.

Can people share what temperature control methods they use or have used in the past?

Apologies if there’s another thread for this? There’s so much in this forum it’d drive a man to drink just searching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

I’m at the early stages and interested in learning more about temperature for certain beers, yeasts etc.

Can people share what temperature control methods they use or have used in the past?

Apologies if there’s another thread for this? There’s so much in this forum it’d drive a man to drink just searching.

There are many reasonably priced temperature controllers available, probably the best is an inkbird unit, they come with Wi-Fi & lots of other great features.

Most Home Brew Shops sell them or just go online, depending on your location they can be shipped to you.

https://inkbird.com/collections/temperature-controllers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

As Classic said, if you haven’t got temp control I would use Kveik Yeast, which will work in higher temps. 

Thanks. Yes, interesting to read that one. Is it good for a variety of beer styles?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mackbrew said:

Thanks. Yes, interesting to read that one. Is it good for a variety of beer styles?

I am no expert on it although I have used it with success, so maybe this will help.

Buy Kveik and Farmhouse Brewer's Yeast - Kveik.com.au

https://homebrewanswers.com/kveik-yeast/#:~:text=Kveik isn’t a beer style it describes the,yeast derived from multiple strains of saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I think that the biggest risk with fermenting too warm is getting alcohol burn flavour in your brews.  If you are not getting that, and you like the taste of your brews, no need to change anything. 

If you tried to do a high ABV brew, you might get some issues.  But, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

• Like 6

On 1/7/2023 at 3:51 PM, Goldcoast Crow said:

the temp on my fermenter generally starts at around the 25-28 mark once I have done the mixing process…

I get this temp in Summer sometimes (today), I chuck in two or three blocks of ice, made in take away containers, brings the temp down to a good starting point for Me.

• Like 5

On 1/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, Goldcoast Crow said:

On 1/8/2023 at 6:36 PM, DavidM said:

I get this temp in Summer sometimes (today), I chuck in two or three blocks of ice, made in take away containers, brings the temp down to a good starting point for Me.

I,m inland from Bundaberg QLD so my summer temps range from 18/19 at night to 30/35 daytime which was causing problems with brews. i picked up a portable aircon on marketplace for $100 and installed it in my downstairs laundry where all my brew gear is. problem solved. winter i just use a heat mat on a temp control. with a heavy towel round the fermenter.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Brucewr0 said:

I,m inland from Bundaberg QLD so my summer temps range from 18/19 at night to 30/35 daytime which was causing problems with brews. i picked up a portable aircon on marketplace for $100 and installed it in my downstairs laundry where all my brew gear is. problem solved. winter i just use a heat mat on a temp control. with a heavy towel round the fermenter.  

Wouldn't be more economical to get an $100 fridge connect it to a temperature controller which will turn the fridge off and on to maintain your set temperature, instead of having an air conditioner cooling your whole laundry.

Or have I assumed wrongly that you have purchased a refrigerated air conditioner.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brucewr0 said:

$50 working fridge, cools in Summer and warms in Winter (via Heat Pad).

20220211_153756.thumb.jpg.e60b31c1842d1110163dfd3eac59df16.jpg

• Like 8

On 1/7/2023 at 6:27 PM, Goldcoast Crow said:

Thanks guys, like I said I generally haven’t had any dramas with flavour and stuff, everything everything just generally happens quicker 😂😂😂

I brewed for many years with only the most basic temperature controls. Drank plenty of good beer and always use the can yeast. 

Anywhere from 18 to 28 works.  I just avoided the hottest months or brought the fv inside for a few days.  In cooker weather almost ant heat source will work.

But yes inkbird do take the guess work out of it.

• Like 2

I've just ordered a(nother) Inkbird, this time with WiFi.

If you use it for a fermenting fridge (the first one is for the keezer, works a treat), can you plug in both the heating pad (heat plug) AND the fridge (cold plug), and it will switch between them depending on what you want ?

I mention this as I will be doing a Duvel clone, that goes from 20°C for 7 days, 26°C for 7 days, and 0°C for 20 days. Presumably if you have heat and cool plugged in you can do all three steps from the Inkbird App...

Bit of a dumb-a*sed question no doubt, but don't knock dumb a*se 😭

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

If you use it for a fermenting fridge (the first one is for the keezer, works a treat), can you plug in both the heating pad (heat plug) AND the fridge (cold plug), and it will switch between them depending on what you want ?

I mention this as I will be doing a Duvel clone, that goes from 20°C for 7 days, 26°C for 7 days, and 0°C for 20 days. Presumably if you have heat and cool plugged in you can do all three steps from the Inkbird App...

Yes it will switch to the appropriate outlet if both are plugged in, i.e. it will heat and cool as necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stquinto said:

As @kmar92 says, it will switch between heating and cooling to maintain a constant temperature.

Plus, with wifi you can adjust the temperature from anywhere using the app.  Not just in your home.  So if you go to work and forget to change the temperature, you can open the app and change it from miles away.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As @kmar92 says, it will switch between heating and cooling to maintain a constant temperature.

Plus, with wifi you can adjust the temperature from anywhere using the app.  Not just in your home.  So if you go to work and forget to change the temperature, you can open the app and change it from miles away.

Even turning the heating function up to where it will kick in if trying to cold crash?

• Like 1