Coopers Community

Fermentation temps

Goldcoast Crow

33 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Even turning the heating function up to where it will kick in if trying to cold crash?

UOB why would you be turning up the temp if starting a cold crash? If you have the heating and cooling connected to your heat device and to the fridge, dialing it down to CC temps will only result in cooling?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Even turning the heating function up to where it will kick in if trying to cold crash?

Yes.  When I am cold crashing, I usually unplug the heat source.  If you are remote, you cannot do that.  So it is possible that your heater could kick-in during cold crash.  However, you can remotely change the heating kick-in temperature difference.  I normally set the temperature difference to about 0.3°C.  That keeps my fermenter temperature pretty stable.  However, once going to cold crashing, if your cold crash temperature is 1°C, you could set the heating temperature differential to say 5°C.  There is almost no way your fermenting chamber will drop to -4°C, so the heater will not kick in.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes.  When I am cold crashing, I usually unplug the heat source.  If you are remote, you cannot do that.  So it is possible that your heater could kick-in during cold crash.  However, you can remotely change the heating kick-in temperature difference.  I normally set the temperature difference to about 0.3°C.  That keeps my fermenter temperature pretty stable.  However, once going to cold crashing, if your cold crash temperature is 1°C, you could set the heating temperature differential to say 5°C.  There is almost no way your fermenting chamber will drop to -4°C, so the heater will not kick in.

Thanks mate exactly what I was asking and you explained what i could not ask properly. @kmar92kmar92 I  just could not find the words to ask it properly shamus has answred it.

I have not got the Wi-Fi model as would need a booster to reach the shed I brew in.  Wasn't sure if could adjust the differentual or just the temp in general.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 5

On 1/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, Pickles Jones said:

Wouldn't be more economical to get an $100 fridge connect it to a temperature controller which will turn the fridge off and on to maintain your set temperature, instead of having an air conditioner cooling your whole laundry.

Or have I assumed wrongly that you have purchased a refrigerated air conditioner.

thank you for the replys.

my laundry is only 10ft x 10ft and with washing machine, work bench and tubs etc i only have enough room for the one fridge which houses my kegs. ive got solar and average $40 month credit so power usage is not a problem. so refrig air conditioner set on 24 degrees seeems to work ok.

• Like 3