Coopers Community

What beer were your parents or grandparents or you drinking back in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's?

jennyss

Being new to brewing and this Coopers club; I am amazed by the variety of beer styles out there!

I remember my father drinking Resch's DA or Resch's Pilsener back in the 60's. A couple of bottles would sit in the frig. Years later VB seemed to be the trendy thing. And now at my local watering hole XXXX Gold is the most popular drop.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Being new to brewing and this Coopers club; I am amazed by the variety of beer styles out there!

I remember my father drinking Resch's DA or Resch's Pilsener back in the 60's. A couple of bottles would sit in the frig. Years later VB seemed to be the trendy thing. And now at my local watering hole XXXX Gold is the most popular drop.

I think a lot depends on the state you are in, I was born in SA so it was only normal that I was going to see SA beers growing up such as Southwark Bitter ( Green Death ) West End Draught, as time went on you would find find the odd beer from Mexico, sorry VIC, like Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter & of course that horrid one with the green label, NSW & QLD beers followed & we ended up trying them all. I started off as a travelling salesman very young & ended up in Pubs in the various states either liking or hating the beers on offer.

I continued travelling full time until a couple of years ago & retired however I still enjoy the odd commercial beer but ask any home brewer, there is nothing like the one you have brewed yourself.

• Like 4

I'm from South Africa , as most regulars here know. Our main commercial lagers drank back in the old days, and still now, is castle lager, and lion lager. Both made by SAB. Lion disappeared for many years and then returned as a lighter bodied version. Castle is not bad. Sweet beer with maize extract added 😅. Sometimes when it's hot and I don't feel like a rich HB, I'll have a few cold castles.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/466/2476/

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 6

One grandfather used to drink Emu Export in the  king browns with a glass watching the cricket telling me to watch Greg Chappell and Dennis Lillee on how to play and then Ross Glendinning when the footy was on in the good old days  and my other grandfather drank swan gold until it was discontinued (he was devastated🤣) and then Carlton mid. My dad drinks whatever is cheapest but I remember as a kid emu export (red led, bush chook etc) mainly but it went in fazes one stage fosters swan draft etc. Never Emu Bitter or Vic Bitter.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

I'm from South Africa , as most regulars here know. Our main commercial lagers drank back in the old days, and still now, is castle lager, and lion lager. Both made by SAB. Lion disappeared for many years and then returned as a lighter bodied version. Castle is not bad. Sweet beer with maize extract added 😅. Sometimes when it's hot and I don't feel like a rich HB, I'll have a few cold castles.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/466/2476/

Speak of the devil

20220211_140851.jpg

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal
  • Like 6

42 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I have a book by Doug Walters where he talks about doing the ads for that beer. He reckons they called it that after his batting average on the 1972 Ashes tour 🤣

I came across this book in an Op shop years ago for about 2 bucks, printed in 1994 showcasing the beers around that era & beyond, it is a mixture of history, facts & jokes ( some a bit crass, funny, unfunny etc ) but it is still a step back into time, most of the Beers & Breweries all over Australia get a mention & it is really quite interesting. The ratings are a bit harsh & questionably not by a qualified person however it is still within the boundaries of this topic.

Cheers.

20220212_070013.thumb.jpg.beec5719f15d9b558e065f0efa873e13.jpg20220212_070042.thumb.jpg.ec65b51f57133f18b28ace7d8d10a599.jpg20220212_070130.thumb.jpg.cc0ff53cf2240531f43c6990639ff164.jpg 

• Like 5

Have no idea what the old boy drank if he was in a pub which would have been really but I remember him drink tallies of Flag Ale and DA.  My old boy died in a work accident nearly 46 years ago so the memories are fading.   

I know in the 70's right up to when I moved north in '88 I was a dedicated Resch's drinker.  It was a great drop up until they closed the Waverley Brewery.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@Classic Brewing Co - that Beer Guide is very funny! And put out by the Australian Post - that's another blast from the past!

Yes it is, some of the jokes at the bottom are not suitable for posting here but the book is well worth the $2 I paid for it. It is also in mint condition which is rare.

Do you have a copy ?

• Like 3

Born in regional Victoria, I remember as a toddler in the late 60s a lot of Foster's Lager long necks and steel cans being drank by my dad and uncles. The cans had to be opened with one of the pictured openers. No ring pulls in those days.

Then we moved to Adelaide in 1973 and Southwark Bitter was all the rage. By the time I started drinking in the 80s I think my go-to beer was West End Export.

Screenshot_2022-02-12-10-58-01-03.jpg

• Like 5

My father was drinking Abbots Lager in the 1950’s and 60’s up until the early 1970’s. In 1972 the legendary Gough Whitlam got elected and made Australia great again by legalising home brewing - among a few other things. This got my father and his workmate borrowing books from the local library to find out how to make home brew beer.

They found out the local health food shop sold all the ingredients needed, bought a 10 gallon fermenter each and got right into the home brewing. At the time it was costing only a few cents a bottle to produce. My father had his own recipe which he brewed up until Coopers released there new bag of “wort in a box” kit around 1977-78.

He found the new Coopers box kit more convenient so swapped over to brewing with them. From there he moved onto the brewing of the various flavoured Coopers cans when they were released in the early 1980's, and from then on he only drank Coopers home brewed beer up until he passed away in 2006.

• Like 7

The old man and his best mate whether at a round of golf, watching the boxing on the box or just a backyard BBQ would always have in a metal esky with a block of ice either a Melbourne Bitter or an Abbot's Lager - the 750ml solid steel cans. Lazy days out side in the backyard, or following those two around a golf course and then there were the boxing nights - inside, windows shut a small B&W portable TV in the kitchen and 5 or 6 blokes or swilling beers, screaming their lungs out and all of them sucking on the ciggies.....ahh the memories.

abbots-lager-beer-1960s-vintage-flat_1_eca2f9708e9b84ccf796191f35016075.jpg

Vintage-1980s-MELBOURNE-BITTER-Beer-Can-750ml-Aussie.jpg

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

The old man and his best mate whether at a round of golf, watching the boxing on the box or just a backyard BBQ would always have in a metal esky with a block of ice either a Melbourne Bitter or an Abbot's Lager - the 750ml solid steel cans. Lazy days out side in the backyard, or following those two around a golf course and then there were the boxing nights - inside, windows shut a small B&W portable TV in the kitchen and 5 or 6 blokes or swilling beers, screaming their lungs out and all of them sucking on the ciggies.....ahh the memories.

Yes I remember those & others from other states years ago, some SA ones kept changing their label designs.

Pickaxe_Southwark.jpg.4d468901c4d18c37bcc5d228b629fc3d.jpg

I used to have a collection of them from all over Australia & parts of the world, probably should have kept them !!

Image 1 - NT Stubby NT BREWERY PTY LTD Darwin Australia - Brand New!

Darwin Stubby's are fetching up to $200 these days.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 5

@thebeerpig and @Mickep - great beer drinking history, specially about home brewing becoming legal, and Coopers entering the home brew scene! And I had a metal esky once too. 

@Classic Brewing Co - no I haven't got that beer book, so I haven't read the rude jokes! I just thought the 'reviews' you posted were very funny.  And a very good bottle collection - but a funny thing about collecting stuff - sometimes you run out of space and have to let it go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jennyss said:

@thebeerpig and @Mickep - great beer drinking history, specially about home brewing becoming legal, and Coopers entering the home brew scene! And I had a metal esky once too. 

@Classic Brewing Co - no I haven't got that beer book, so I haven't read the rude jokes! I just thought the 'reviews' you posted were very funny.  And a very good bottle collection - but a funny thing about collecting stuff - sometimes you run out of space and have to let it go.

I agree with you there I have too many Bar Mats, Stubby Holders, Beer Glasses etc to worry about collecting beer cans & bottles, I just have the odd one scattered around my beer museum 🤣

• Like 3