Coopers Community

What beer were your parents or grandparents or you drinking back in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's?

jennyss

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I remember those & others from other states years ago, some SA ones kept changing their label designs.

Pickaxe_Southwark.jpg.4d468901c4d18c37bcc5d228b629fc3d.jpg

I used to have a collection of them from all over Australia & parts of the world, probably should have kept them !!

Image 1 - NT Stubby NT BREWERY PTY LTD Darwin Australia - Brand New!

Darwin Stubby's are fetching up to $200 these days.

Classic you've got a fantastic collection of beer stuff. Very impressive.

• Like 1

Just now, Mickep said:

Classic you've got a fantastic collection of beer stuff. Very impressive.

Mate I threw out & gave away most of them some time ago but I kept a few for sentimental purposes, when I moved over Xmas I realised how much stuff & how long it took me to pack everything, hopefully never again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I threw out & gave away most of them some time ago but I kept a few for sentimental purposes, when I moved over Xmas I realised how much stuff & how long it took me to pack everything, hopefully never again.

You sound like you had a great job back in the day Classic, travelling the Country going to all the different pubs. Probably back in the good ol' days when there was still budgets for such things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mickep said:

You sound like you had a great job back in the day Classic, travelling the Country going to all the different pubs. Probably back in the good ol' days when there was still budgets for such things.

I worked for myself selling Speciality Advertising Products -Bar Mats, Stubby Holders, Caps, Stickers, Magnets, Business Cards, Brochures everything tahat a Pub/Club or Tradie wnted.

I retired 2 years ago from full time travelling across OZ but still retain a healthy client base & enjoy repeat orders/referrals so it is not all play.

I still would do it all over again just for the absolute thrill of the freedom visiting different towns, states & of course the all important making a living. It was a blast staying in different Pubs/Motels/Caravan Park Cabins & meeting people. When you sell consumer products connected with grog & especially with personalised advertising you have a winner.

In short yes it was a good job but I was my own boss.

Cheers.

• Like 4

On 2/13/2022 at 9:20 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I remember those & others from other states years ago, some SA ones kept changing their label designs.

Pickaxe_Southwark.jpg.4d468901c4d18c37bcc5d228b629fc3d.jpg

I used to have a collection of them from all over Australia & parts of the world, probably should have kept them !!

Image 1 - NT Stubby NT BREWERY PTY LTD Darwin Australia - Brand New!

Darwin Stubby's are fetching up to $200 these days.

I forgot about Darwin stubbies I remember my grandfather or dad had some. Will have to ask dad.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Dad used to drink the Southark Green Death. Thats how i got introduced to beer i think, the odd sip he'd allow me, or sometimes me and my cousin would sneak a longneck and share it.

He always knew though, but he never seemed to mind.

My old man had a vineyard in the Riverland of SA when I was a kid. His brother worked for him & after work they used to sit out under the verandah & drink longnecks of Southwark/West End & they knew I was nicking the odd bottle but the only time they got shirty was when I got bolder & nicked a few at a time & re-filled them with water & hammered the cap back on. They got in to home brew shortly after that but that's another chapter.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, kmar92 said:

My father was a Resch's drinker on tap, right up until he left us. He also liked Carlton Draught in the humongous steel cans that were around in the late 70's, early 80's.

Vintage-Large-Carlton-Draught-Straight-Steel-Beer-Can.jpg

they used these cans on the footy   to stand on back in those day

• Like 5

My old man owned a Fruit Block in the Riverland SA & hardly ever went to the Pub ( I don't know where I got it from ) but it was Longnecks at BBQ's or under the verandah after work, he used to drink & enjoy it with all of the family & friends. Dad & Mum played Bowls for years so there was always beers at the bar afterwards but he was never really a pub person & when we started seeing beers from across the borders, Fosters, Carlton, VB etc they were also drank at family/friend gatherings. 

Later in life I started drinking & tried them all so I pretty much remember them heaps of different beers even from Tassie !!

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 4

At home, dad started off with Fletzinger Helles, from a local brewery. When the brewery closed in the mid 70s, he moved on to mega swill like EKU Pils and sank even deeper when he bought Hansa Pils, from the El Cheapo supermarket. in the 80s, when we moved into the area near Bitburg, he came to his senses and moved to Bitburger Pils. which he still drinks but he also gets the occasional Erdinger or Schneider Weisse. But he drinks more wine than beer these days.

In pubs, it depended (and still does), what beer they have. Unlike here, where every pub sells pretty much the same beers, in Germany, most pubs are either owned by breweries or have exclusive contracts, so they advertise said brewery's beer on their signs and with few exceptions, that is what they sell. Even specialty beers are often dictated by the brewery. You want to sell Alt Bier, it has to be from brewery X, Wheat from brewery Y, etc. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Brauhaus Fritz Is green the actual colour of that beer or has colour been added for St Patrick's day or something like that?

It’s a classic drink in Berlin. It’s a Berliner Weiße (sour) with Woodruff cordial. The colour is from the cordial, it is actually really nice

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1