Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 11/27/2020 at 4:13 PM, jamiek86 said:

ok that's probably alot better than waiting for it to be 3 or 4 points off expected fg and missing it. I'll remember this for my next one. just doing pale ales now until get my kegerator set up dont really have the fridge room to lager.

Yeah, it's meant to be done while the yeast are still active from my understanding of it. That's one reason it can be done in bottles, but since I've always had temp control since I started seriously brewing lagers I've always done it in the fermenter even when I bottled them. It's good peace of mind knowing it's been done, but of course with kegging now and not doing natural carbonation I have to do it this way. Never had any diacetyl problems in the 7 years or so I've been making them. 

• Like 2

Another go at Pressure FV... had the lager yeast stored in that little container from last brew...

So this is immediately prior to opening the valve - to let the brew down into the yeast.... a backwards pitch?!  ; )

Not getting a good gas seal so will just ferment at 14-15 deg C and work on the pressure issues later once ferment is done... Hibiscus Lager... Hopefully the W34/70 likes the Hibiscus? 🤔

image.thumb.png.c9f8ad1c4fdca72d1385b8642650fca6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20201129_195155.thumb.jpg.fd50deb783b988fcb29cea2f791929c7.jpg

Laid down another Fair Drinkum Pale Ale yesterday, brew No.4 - the same as brew No.3. I decided to go with the same again for a few reasons - apart from already having the ingredients, this is my first brew using the brew fridge so figured I would go with something so I have already done. Although for this one I will be adding hops via a 'hop tea' rather than dry hopping to see what kind of difference (if any) it makes to the hops flavour and how long it lasts before it fades 🤔

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Beeeyoooooty of a new Brew Fridge Cob - looks the absolute biz!

What's your FV base/shelf made out of pray tell?  Bit of marine ply?

It's 12mm ply - not marine ply - with a few coats of polyurethane exterior varnish. The shelf is bowing a bit under the weight of the FV though, so I am thinking I might need to go to either the same thickness in marine ply or go up to 18mm.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:49 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Another go at Pressure FV... had the lager yeast stored in that little container from last brew...

So this is immediately prior to opening the valve - to let the brew down into the yeast.... a backwards pitch?!  ; )

Not getting a good gas seal so will just ferment at 14-15 deg C and work on the pressure issues later once ferment is done... Hibiscus Lager... Hopefully the W34/70 likes the Hibiscus? 🤔

image.thumb.png.c9f8ad1c4fdca72d1385b8642650fca6.png

wtf looks like something that crash landed from Mars but bet it taste good BTW your post above this about leaving your brew out to finish to put another one in is good thinking sounds like you have a good rotation going.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

wtf looks like something that crash landed from Mars but bet it taste good BTW your post above this about leaving your brew out to finish to put another one in is good thinking sounds like you have a good rotation going.

Cheers JK am a bit grumbly about this one - yes rotation... but Pressure FV working should be ok in high temps - but I cannot maintain pressure so is in the precious brew fridge space...

So we used W34/70 old compacted slurry and maybe did not stir in well - Phaarque all going on this morning....

So pitched dry with fresh dry W34/70 late this morning - and still not much action tonight - guess I need to be patient...

Not done this specific brew and early days re using the pressure FV - this new way of doing the ferment before - am feeling like a new-Bruce and a bit concerned whether all this AG mashing etc effort is going to work out with this foolish new recipe and pressure FV etc

: (

Live and Learn I guess... but understand wherever everyone else comes from on a new brew and new approach....

BB

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Cheers JK am a bit grumbly about this one - yes rotation... but Pressure FV working should be ok in high temps - but I cannot maintain pressure so is in the precious brew fridge space...

So we used W34/70 old compacted slurry and maybe did not stir in well - Phaarque all going on this morning....

So pitched dry with fresh dry W34/70 late this morning - and still not much action tonight - guess I need to be patient...

Not done this specific brew and early days re using the pressure FV - this new way of doing the ferment before - am feeling like a new-Bruce and a bit concerned whether all this AG mashing etc effort is going to work out with this foolish new recipe and pressure FV etc

Live and Learn I guess... but understand wherever everyone else comes from on a new brew and new approach....

BB

yes I can agree new ventures can feel like a waste of time when its not going as we hoped it would. hope it is good in the end and makes it worth the time for you to try it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lickedthestamp said:

It's 12mm ply - not marine ply - with a few coats of polyurethane exterior varnish. The shelf is bowing a bit under the weight of the FV though, so I am thinking I might need to go to either the same thickness in marine ply or go up to 18mm.

I had the same problem with bowing. I just put one of the fridge shelves back in underneath and filled the space between the shelf and plywood with scrap wood. My fridge shelves are the wire sort and I see yours are glass. Maybe just another piece of 12mm in the rung below might solve your issue and filling the space between the two of course. Rather than going out and buying more marine plywood.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

BB

Could end up the best beer you've ever made BB.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Pure chaos in the FV this morning only about 15hrs after pitching.  Gotta love them starters that get straight to it.

What do you think of the Chubby Fermenter?  Why it instead of the 35L Snub-nose?

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

@Shamus O'Sean seems to go ok so far.that’s the first batch it’s fermented. It came down to dimensions. I’ve got two ferment chambers. One is a big old fridge that fits anything but the other is an upright freezer. Not a lot of room in there and the chubby is basically the size of the white PET fermenter which I just retired.

no volume marks is annoying, along with it being kinda thin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Shamus O'Sean seems to go ok so far.that’s the first batch it’s fermented. It came down to dimensions. I’ve got two ferment chambers. One is a big old fridge that fits anything but the other is an upright freezer. Not a lot of room in there and the chubby is basically the size of the white PET fermenter which I just retired.

no volume marks is annoying, along with it being kinda thin. 

So no stick on volume label? 

I was tossing up between the Chubby and the Snub-nose for trying pressure fermentation.  The Chubby would fit in my temp controlled fermentation freezer.  But I think I would need to get a new fermentation fridge for the Snub-nose.  But I worry that the Chubby would limit my fermentation volumes.  I like to do up to 24L so I get some bottles as well as a keg full.

@Shamus O'Sean yeah no volume sticker. I had to measure and mark myself. 

i reckon you could do a 24ltr batch fairly comfortably. Those stands on the snub nose and the all rounder etc are their main downfall I think. Adds a fair bit on the diameter. 

I don’t  pressure ferment but have the capability to with my all rounder and now the chubster. I’m not sure how the chubby would hold up, particularly over time, to be honest. I’m sure it can obviously withstand pressure but it’s only as thick as a PET 750ml bottle. I could see that being an issue.

im happy with it so far, mainly just because I can run two 02 free ferments at the same time, given the size of it. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 7:53 AM, Staggerinn said:

Usually brew AG but just trying out a kit Hefe

1 x Preachers Hefe Wheat

1x Wheat malt extract

1 x Lallemand Belgian Wheat

Holding it at 17C

Og 1038

Bugger! went into the garage last night and thought this smells nice....

Then I saw the puddle outside of the brew fridge.  Tap was leaking on the fermenter and lost about 6lts of beer to the garage floor and the ants. Did seriously consider licking the floor but thought better of it !

Real bloody shame as a sample of what was left tasted real good with nice banana and clove flavours.  Was hoping for this to be my Christmas beer as Ive already  drunk my Christmas stock twice.

Now have a eclipse hopped pale ale, and a Mexi lager (for the visitors) on the go.

Edited by Staggerinn
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Nice and tidy. Thats what i like. My Granddad was a Sargeant Major in WW2. I'm a bit regimented. 

Phew.  Faaar out that was lucky!!!

Keg Freezer was a terrible mess with empty kegs and pluto guns and lines everywhere and after noticing beer spillage on the floor I did a massive clean-up PM so that was definitely a close call hahahaha 😋

Mmm I did need to make room for the chill-baby-chill of the FV so had to happen... and glad I did... imagine had I not - my report card would have been deplorable!?!

But I do agree Cobber.... a tidy brewery is a beautiful thing and a safer workplace 😬 as my industry colleague @Red devil 44 would also advise yes Red?  ; )

• Haha 1