Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

20 hours ago, Cee said:

My first brew!

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wonderful stuff mate - the start of a great journey no doubt!

This first beer brewed is good - but your next one and the ones in the future should be even better mate!!!

And if there are a few hiccups on the way - just gotta keep going strong.... sometimes it is not all plain sailing.... 

Good brewing mate and really cool to have cracked that most important first milestone.

Cheers

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cee said:

Day 11 in FV - Dark Ale tin

====

I have no idea how normal this looks or not lol

Hey there Cee.... mate I am not really liking the look of what is floating on top of your fermenter brew...

Am gunna ask for some help....

@Shamus O'Sean @Otto Von Blotto @Greeny1525229549 @Red devil 44 @Pale Man @ChristinaS1 Brewers - any help or advice for Cee.... ?

I might be completely wrong but I fear that looks like floating colonies of mould.... sorry.... and would really really like to be proved completely wrong here... help please?

This is only Brew 2?

Did you sterilise the Ferment Vat Cee after a seriously good clean - say using something like boiling water and or Stellar San?

Hygiene and Cleanliness is just so hyper critical... I do all my shittttt with rubber gloves on for instance and keep all my brewing areas pristinely clean... am a bit paranoid as studied some applied microbiology years ago and realise there is stuff everywhere that can get into yer brew...

Sorry to be a 'Darryl Downer' - and hope I am completely wrong... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Can't say I've ever had any undesirable flavours from throwing roasted grains into the mash. The beers always taste as I expect them to. That said, I've never tried cold steeping them overnight. 

I can sort of understand this a little... but like Kelsey - the main roasted grain brews I have done have been Alt and Stout... and it has been fine... and Palmer etc etc all suggest to mash the grains... I do have rainwater... so there has been some suggestion to add late... so if I do some brews - say for an hour or hour plus mash - I might add the roasted stuff later on so that they get at least 30-40 mins which is all they need... and the 'soft water' profile that way does not suck out as many tannis that way...  but in the big scheme of things not had any nasty flavours as far as I am aware... and even the soooky commercial beer drinkers have not complained too much... mmm those brave enough to drink black brews haha!?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey there Cee.... mate I am not really liking the look of what is floating on top of your fermenter brew...

@Shamus O'Sean @Otto Von Blotto @Greeny1525229549 @Red devil 44 @Pale Man @ChristinaS1 Brewers - any help or advice for Cee.... ?

I might be completely wrong but I fear that looks like floating colonies of mould.... sorry.... and would really really like to be proved completely wrong here... help please?

This is only Brew 2?

Did you sterilise the Ferment Vat Cee after a seriously good clean - say using something like boiling water and or Stellar San?

Hygiene and Cleanliness is just so hyper critical... I do all my shittttt with rubber gloves on for instance and keep all my brewing areas pristinely clean... am a bit paranoid as studied some applied microbiology years ago and realise there is stuff everywhere that can get into yer brew...

Bottom right hand corner seems to have some meatiness to it. If it was just bubbles ok. But that lump at the bottom is worrying. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cee said:

I have no idea how normal this looks or not lol

I see that BB has cast some potential shade on the look of your brew.  It is hard to say for sure if there are any issues.  It does not look very wrong.  Your dry hop stocking looks okay.  The blob on the left and the moon shape on the right are a little concerning.  The small blobs of froth look perfectly normal.

What you do not want is something like a spiders web under a layer of glad wrap.  They call it a pellicle - the gooey, slimy, bubbly, fuzzy layer of nastiness that may appear on the surface of beers.  This also sounds a bit like what a good yeasty fermentation looks like.

I think yours will be fine.  Especially if the taste of the samples taken from the tap are fine.  If the larger floaties hang around, I would avoid stirring them in.  Having said that, I have probably ignored my own advice and stirred similar patches in before when either dry hopping or adding fining agents.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

so there has been some suggestion to add late

I have heard of doing this too.  If the dark grains are only in the mash for the last 15-20 minutes, they probably impart what we want them to without doing anything we do not want them to do.

I am not saying "do not mash your dark grains".  I have done it a few times now myself.  Just putting forward a different view from some of the podcasts I have listened to.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, ChristinaS1 said:

If your recipe contains any chocolate malt, black malt, or roasted barley, only squeeze lightly, or you will be squeezing out tannins.

I was told this was a myth, though I haven't heard it specifically about dark grains.

On the weekend I brewed a Dry Irish Stout with 11% roasted barley and squeezed the bag until it was begging me to stop.

I hope it turns out okay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wonderful stuff mate - the start of a great journey no doubt!

This first beer brewed is good - but your next one and the ones in the future should be even better mate!!!

And if there are a few hiccups on the way - just gotta keep going strong.... sometimes it is not all plain sailing.... 

Good brewing mate and really cool to have cracked that most important first milestone.

Cheers

BB

🙂 Thanks mate - there is no learning without hickups, I am ready for hickups - they say swallowing liquid can help hickups so I am in the right hobby 🙂

But having a win with my first brew is a huge boost

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

This is only Brew 2?

G'day mate - well I was trying to not overstress about it but mould was my thought too. 

Yes brew 2.

Dark Ale Tin, s-05 as recommended by my brewing shop, aslo galaxy hops also recommended. I swapped out BE for LME and added a boost of BE1

I did clean with dish liquid and sanitised with stellarsan etc. Maybe not enough... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Bottom right hand corner seems to have some meatiness to it. If it was just bubbles ok. But that lump at the bottom is worrying. 

G'day Pale Man - In bottom right corner I have a black sock-stocking which is my hop-sock.

Is this the lump you mean? 

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I see that BB has cast some potential shade on the look of your brew.  It is hard to say for sure if there are any issues.  It does not look very wrong.  Your dry hop stocking looks okay.  The blob on the left and the moon shape on the right are a little concerning.  The small blobs of froth look perfectly normal.

What you do not want is something like a spiders web under a layer of glad wrap.  They call it a pellicle - the gooey, slimy, bubbly, fuzzy layer of nastiness that may appear on the surface of beers.  This also sounds a bit like what a good yeasty fermentation looks like.

I think yours will be fine.  Especially if the taste of the samples taken from the tap are fine.  If the larger floaties hang around, I would avoid stirring them in.  Having said that, I have probably ignored my own advice and stirred similar patches in before when either dry hopping or adding fining agents.

G'day Shamus - thanks for thinking on this

I kinda deliberately tried a brew very different (in my Newbie eyes) to the Lagerale from the DIY Kit which was my first. I wanted to stretch my learning curve and Yay success for that! 😄 

My main worry with this Dark Ale was temperature but these floaties have superseded. 

I also wondered if I have had it in FV too long contributing to this...

Day 12 now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

@Cee I agree with Shamus. Looks more or less normal. Take a sample and taste it. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

G'day Christina - thanks for your thoughts

I will try it - if I don't mutate into something from the black lagoon I'll stay hopeful

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Cee said:

My main worry with this Dark Ale was temperature but these floaties have superseded. 

Day 12 now.

12 days isn't too long. Personally I haven't fermented a beer longer than 12 days, apart from lagers which ferment slower at lower temps, but I've read of numerous brewers on here who leave their brews for a few weeks regularly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MUZZY said:

12 days isn't too long. Personally I haven't fermented a beer longer than 12 days, apart from lagers which ferment slower at lower temps, but I've read of numerous brewers on here who leave their brews for a few weeks regularly.

G'day Muzzy - ok I can ditch that worry then 

I know you've brewed Dark Ale tins and was hoping you'd drop by - does any of this look familiar to you?

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

What are those things floating on the top of it? Is it just the stocking floating around at different spots or something else? It's hard to tell from the photo. The small colonies of bubbles aren't a problem though. 

G'day Otto - thanks for your thoughts - the stocking really has not moved from the position it is in. I am also noticing reflections on the surface make it harder to see clearly. It seems more like froths than slimers 

20201126_095052.jpg

This is today - the shapes have changed a bit

Edited by Cee
  • Like 1

Just now, Cee said:

G'day Muzzy - ok I can ditch that worry then 

I know you've brewed Dark Ale tins and was hoping you'd drop by - does any of this look familiar to you?

Hi Cee.
In a word, no. However that doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem. I may not be the best person to advise. I have brewed Dark Ale quite a few times but I've never dry hopped any of my beers and, touch wood, I've never made a brew with an infection. This is good for me but I don't have any experience on how or why things go wrong.
You said the gunk on top had 'superseded', I assume you meant it's shrinking or gone. This is encouraging. The best advice I can give is to sample it and if it doesn't taste bad bottle it, let it condition and give it a try in a few weeks.

• Like 1

Just now, MUZZY said:

Hi Cee.
In a word, no. However that doesn't necessarily mean you have a problem. I may not be the best person to advise. I have brewed Dark Ale quite a few times but I've never dry hopped any of my beers and, touch wood, I've never made a brew with an infection. This is good for me but I don't have any experience on how or why things go wrong.
You said the gunk on top had 'superseded', I assume you meant it's shrinking or gone. This is encouraging. The best advice I can give is to sample it and if it doesn't taste bad bottle it, let it condition and give it a try in a few weeks.

G'day Muzzy - thank you for the reply

I'll test it after lunch. I'm gunna try another Dark Ale tin soon, I think. No hops just the BE3 - and compare this experience to that. So keen to get a Dark Ale right 🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cee said:

G'day Otto - thanks for your thoughts - the stocking really has not moved from the position it is in. I am also noticing reflections on the surface make it harder to see clearly. It seems more like froths than slimers 

20201126_095052.jpg

This is today - the shapes have changed a bit

This photo looks better than the first one you posted but there does seem to be a film. Is this possibly what @Shamus O'Sean was talking about ie. spider web under cling wrap?
As mentioned above I've never dry hopped but I was under the impression you should sink your hop socks. Some people use a sanitised spoon or marbles in the hop sock to keep it submerged. I wonder if allowing the sock to float the film on top is just leaching of hops or (and I hope not) an infection caused by the hops being exposed?

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Cee said:

Hey Cee - maybe there is hope yet from the Brewers above - but I would leave an inch or so of brew left in the FV when bottling... in case there is something in there ; )

But I am buoyed by the positive feedback above Cee!

Have you got your hop sock breaking the seal between vat and lid - hanging down the side?  

I would not recommend that...

And yeah - probably would also not leave it in the FV that long if Final Gravity has been reached... just to prevent any infection... 

People do condition there brews in the FV too... but there is more potential for contam becoming infection that way...

Did you sterilise the hop sock nicely?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

an infection caused by the hops being exposed?

I believe that hops are pretty anti-bacterial/microbial preservative type creatures Muzzy... one of the reasons I believe that they were used historically... so floating hop bag think that would be ok - I just float mine in generally - though am thinking about some marbles for sinking too ; )

But good thinking Muzzy!

And I would prolly not leave in FV that long - and also not have a sock breaking the seal between lid and FV main body...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Cee said:

My main worry with this Dark Ale was temperature

Yes mate and temp below 20 ish is always a good thing... in general...

I think I would agree with various helpers above - taste it - if ok - get into bottles - and leave an inch or two of brew so none of those floaties get into the bottles...

• Thanks 1