Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Maybe a pink pils and maroon ale on the way?  Same base brew but different yeast - could not fit it all in the one FV...  and added a little more fermentables to the ale (long story)... will be interesting to see how they turn out...  both in colour and taste/texture... Pils is now doing the DiAc thing at warmer temp... Cheers Brewers. BB

image.thumb.png.1cd2f650be98433a1c1964839f8687e9.png

• Like 2

On 12/6/2020 at 7:24 AM, Aussiekraut said:

I'm a sad sack. It's a quarter past nine and the boil is already underway. Just a bog standard pale ale showcasing Eclipse hops. I heard about them a while ago and finally got my hands on some. Let's see what the hop has to offer. It's a fairly new Aussie hops, only launched recently.

IMG_6578.thumb.jpg.8dee02b0641f6195643eefea5c2260d8.jpg

I'm also test driving my new hop spider and the new wort chiller. A day full of firsts 🙂 

IMG_6579.thumb.jpg.1767d9ef686134dfae1fccccdf67cca1.jpg

I've just got some eclipse too. Im going to dry hop a pale ale kit, as per my previous post, need a quick top up to my Christmas stock! Thinking of dry hopping at yeast pitch, read somewhere that it makes very little noticeable difference to the finished beer, but it does help with cold side oxidation risks.

• Thanks 1

Day 7 of my old school yank IPA so I chucked in my dry hop. She was a big one. 25g simcoe and 50g each,centennial, cascade and Amarillo. I’ve got a nice green cake on the surface.  Was getting worried that the WLP002 was going to under attenuate as it started to really drop out and slow right down around the 1.020 mark but since the dry hop went in and a temp bump, she’s firing on all cylinders again. 

23F99780-3EEC-48D5-B3AB-F0FBA0491619.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally hit FG of my Old School yank IPA. The WLP002 had a rest for a few days and then upon dry hop, she kicked back into gear and went a few points lower than expected which I’m happy for. 1.062 down to  1.012 giving me a 6.56% batch of malty, piney, CCC-esk 65ibu ipa-ness. crashing down to 1.5 and should be pouring by Thursday evening. 

• Like 1

As of this Sunday Advent III the Wheaties now have a dank dark friend... just hurley burley'd it on top of the Rye US05 Slurry to keep production going ; )

Little Wheatie also has a nice fluffy top... W3068  in SS FV I did a sterilise down and sneak peak under the lid and plenty kräussen action there as well Woohoo 😋

image.thumb.png.2ddbb668363dfa1d36a6feb53fd26fc6.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

As of this Sunday Advent III the Wheaties now have a dank dark friend... just hurley burley'd it on top of the Rye US05 Slurry to keep production going ; )

Little Wheatie also has a nice fluffy top... W3068  in SS FV I did a sterilise down and sneak peak under the lid and plenty kräussen action there as well Woohoo 😋

image.thumb.png.2ddbb668363dfa1d36a6feb53fd26fc6.png

what's going on you have a brew fridge with something going and then a whole heap sitting on a bench somewhere? good work mate keep supply going

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes yes the Brew Fridge has the Hibiscus Pilsner in it at the mo just chillin' and am hoping to keg that tomorrow and get this latest Lager into that vessel.

Beautiful cool days at the moment so the Larder Bench ambient Temp is reasonable for the Ale and Weizen Yeasts.... 

image.thumb.png.8f99d7d80c98b14d82e23e66ad29c1a0.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Yes yes the Brew Fridge has the Hibiscus Pilsner in it at the mo just chillin' and am hoping to keg that tomorrow and get this latest Lager into that vessel.

Beautiful cool days at the moment so the Larder Bench ambient Temp is reasonable for the Ale and Weizen Yeasts.... 

image.thumb.png.8f99d7d80c98b14d82e23e66ad29c1a0.png

How’s the Fermzilla performing BB ? 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

How’s the Fermzilla performing BB ? 

Honestly not been really that happy with it  Red - the bubble nature of the Pressure FV (PFV) - makes screwing bits on and off not so easy... and this brew could not get to seal - just ran as a Pils Batch really... am hoping to get some plastic fittings for the top lid - KLand seem to think the plastic ones seal better than my SS current ones... and of course use lube fine - and the fkkkkkkers have none when I put in my order and 4 days later send me an email they have some.. Anyway.... am hoping to do the next Lager as a Pressure Jobbie...

I suspect you prolly will find it a bit easier with your pressure vessel expertise Red... I have not been that happy with it mate... think SS vessels would be better mate all up.  But am going to keep trying to get it working well.  Fortunately at mo things are cool down here, so I can run stuff in Larder - this time last year - the PFV woulda been gold - as it was so hot with the fires and all... 

5 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Honestly not been really that happy with it  Red - the bubble nature of the Pressure FV (PFV) - makes screwing bits on and off not so easy... and this brew could not get to seal - just ran as a Pils Batch really... am hoping to get some plastic fittings for the top lid - KLand seem to think the plastic ones seal better than my SS current ones... and of course use lube fine - and the fkkkkkkers have none when I put in my order and 4 days later send me an email they have some.. Anyway.... am hoping to do the next Lager as a Pressure Jobbie...

I suspect you prolly will find it a bit easier with your pressure vessel expertise Red... I have not been that happy with it mate... think SS vessels would be better mate all up.  But am going to keep trying to get it working well.  Fortunately at mo things are cool down here, so I can run stuff in Larder - this time last year - the PFV woulda been gold - as it was so hot with the fires and all... 

Ok, my Fermzilla is due to be delivered tomorrow, but can’t use until I open it with surprise at Xmas 😂😂

Doesnt matter anyway as I have a double batch of Mexican Lager with hops that I’m leaving in one fermenting fridge for a few weeks, by the time I CC will be roughly Xmas.

The other fermenting fridge has a Stone & Wood Clone I put down yesterday which will also come out at Xmas, so looking to have a first run around 27th December or something, as I will be on Chrissy holidays anyway. 

Will keep you posted how I get on with it 🍻🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I’ve also ordered a truck load of spares with the Fermzilla too, like o-rings, collection container, plastic caps, spare blow tie etc etc.

Thats just the way I am, gotta have spares just in case the sh&t hits the fan, as my LHBS don’t stock anything that’s related to the Fermzilla. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Here's the magnificent Burbler Brewing Armada - sailing on in the pursuit of brewing excellence meh meh - best Brewery Production for a while... 😋

Notice the high tide marks on the Black (Coops FV) and Pressure FV from the beers immediately beforehand - kegged immediately prior to backfill-pitch with new AG Wort... been a busy few days 🤔    

image.thumb.png.4205dfc03ffb3f273bb092602b07d9fa.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4

I am a little behind on posting. Put this on on Dec 10. Added the dry hops today.

Citra and Amarillo APA

1.7gm APA
1.5kg light LME
700gm Vienna malt 18%
325gm Munich 10L 8.3%
200gm malted wheat 5%
15gm Cents @ 20 minutes
17.5gm Amarillo @ FO x 20 min
14gm Citra @ FO
17.5gm Amarillo DH x 3 days
14gm Citra DH
10mL Clarity Ferm
23L 
14gm Coopers ale/lager blend dry pitched

Made a similar recipe twice before. The first time I was just trying to use up leftovers; I called it Leftover Ale, but it turned out really nice. This version should be a bit more malty. 

Cheers,

Christina.
Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Citra and Amarillo APA

1.7gm APA
1.5kg light LME
700gm Vienna malt 18%

Hey Christina, is the 1.7 (kg?) APA ...is that the Australian Pale Ale can?

Looks like a tasty recipe. I might try something similar as my first foray into partial mashing. 

Happy brewing! Cheers

22 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Here's the magnificent Burbler Brewing Armada - sailing on in the pursuit of brewing excellence meh meh - best Brewery Production for a while... 😋

Notice the high tide marks on the Black (Coops FV) and Pressure FV from the beers immediately beforehand - kegged immediately prior to backfill-pitch with new AG Wort... been a busy few days 🤔    

image.thumb.png.4205dfc03ffb3f273bb092602b07d9fa.png

Looks like the pic on the left is in your dungeon or something , good thinking BB, the real estate will never know 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hmmmm 🤔🤔wonder what else he has in that dungeon 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hmmmm 🤔🤔wonder what else he has in that dungeon 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Black plastic tubs of speciality malts; Tubs of kegging bits; Hidden sacks and barrels of base malts; A reasonable sized freezer (kegs and pluto guns quietly hiding inside); A reasonable assortment of gas bottles covered with dust-sheet ; ) and a Wurst-Machine haha!

Besides... some foodstuffs... desirable to convince any clever RE Agent that it is purely a normal every day Larder...

And not the beating heart of the mighty Burbler Mountain Brewing Enterprise and Wurst Factory 🥳

It's all about presentation really 🤔

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Black plastic tubs of speciality malts; Tubs of kegging bits; Hidden sacks and barrels of base malts; A reasonable sized freezer (kegs and pluto guns quietly hiding inside); A reasonable assortment of gas bottles covered with dust-sheet ; ) and a Wurst-Machine haha!

Besides... some foodstuffs... desirable to convince any clever RE Agent that it is purely a normal every day Larder...

And not the beating heart of the mighty Burbler Mountain Brewing Enterprise and Wurst Factory 🥳

It's all about presentation really 🤔

No hidden torture racks or whips & chains in that dungeon mate 😂😂😂😂

On a good note the Fermzilla & spares etc arrived today 🥳🥳

On a sour note the Pressure Gauge that fits on the spunding valve arrangement is already reading 10Kpa as I unboxed it, I have taken a photo and will contact Kegland tomorrow for a replacement, hopefully before Xmas ☹️☹️

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

On a good note the Fermzilla & spares etc arrived today 🥳🥳

Mate my new little orange lid seems to be holding better.... so it's good you got yours w those not the SS ones... think plazzi-plazzi facilitates a better seal... 

15 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

the Pressure Gauge that fits on the spunding valve arrangement is already reading 10Kpa as I unboxed it

Phaaaaaaaaarque mine is too.... 😮 well 10PSI.... is something wrong? 

Mmmm maybe it is the great heaving morass beneath of festy W34/70 going off like a frog in a sock loving the AG Munich and Pale Malt wort haha 😜

And what the ol' Spunder is releasing or lack of tight fit is leaking smells just laaaarvely 🙃

Wonder when I should take off that silly plastic wrap off the guage face?

image.thumb.png.7202ae25f8e74e6071e6eb2b64bf7f89.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Christina, is the 1.7 (kg?) APA ...is that the Australian Pale Ale can?

Looks like a tasty recipe. I might try something similar as my first foray into partial mashing. 

Happy brewing! Cheers

Indeed it is Tone boy! 🤣 

Good luck with the partial mash. 👍 Any problems or questions, let us know. 

Cheers,

Christina

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate my new little orange lid seems to be holding better.... so it's good you got yours w those not the SS ones... think plazzi-plazzi facilitates a better seal... 

Phaaaaaaaaarque mine is too.... 😮 well 10PSI.... is something wrong? 

Mmmm maybe it is the great heaving morass beneath of festy W34/70 going off like a frog in a sock loving the AG Munich and Pale Malt wort haha 😜

And what the ol' Spunder is releasing or lack of tight fit is leaking smells just laaaarvely 🙃

Wonder when I should take off that silly plastic wrap off the guage face?

image.thumb.png.7202ae25f8e74e6071e6eb2b64bf7f89.png

Yeah but I haven’t even brewed with it yet and it’s showing 10 Kpa not good, that tells me it was probably knocked around in transit from Melbourne to Bris Vegas 😡

• Sad 1