Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

15 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Yeah but I haven’t even brewed with it yet and it’s showing 10 Kpa not good, that tells me it was probably knocked around in transit from Melbourne to Bris Vegas 😡

Hey RD. Looking at the bearded ones photo there.....just wondering.....is it possible that the needle on the clock face has been installed the opposite way. As in 180 degrees opposite?? I’m just thinking that if the needle was pointing exactly opposite, it would be showing 0 PSI. 
Just a thought...must be frustrating though...

cheers

Tone Boy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey RD. Looking at the bearded ones photo there.....just wondering.....is it possible that the needle on the clock face has been installed the opposite way. As in 180 degrees opposite?? I’m just thinking that if the needle was pointing exactly opposite, it would be showing 0 PSI. 
Just a thought...must be frustrating though...

cheers

Tone Boy

Nah it’s the right way mate.

And it only shows PSI and not kpa as Keg King are a US company I believe, ( because the US still work in Imperial Measurement 🙄🙄) although they operate in Australia so they should change that in my opinion to show kpa. It’s not hard to convert from one to the other though, being from the Gas Industry I have worked with Imperial & Metric, but Metric is easier IMHO.

Just sayin 

image.thumb.png.228a789d565c76b1807db88657e52e07.png

That Pressure Bomb FV has dropped and is holding at 7PSI... High tide mark from the prior Pils top arrow

And the big population of good ol' W34/70 seems to have decided the excitement was quite enough and now it's time to floc and drop out see bottom arrow beer starting to clarify a little.. .

Pretty quick going at warmer temp and under pressure with a big yeast population 🤔

• Like 2

IMG_6444.thumb.jpg.34ec73b5fccec5431811db7e4cc9eaf7.jpg

dry hopped the eclipse pale rotm kit, that can go in bottles on Friday and my irish red with kveik that i started on sunday i could probably bottle on saturday if i can be bothered doing two bottle days in a row. might sit in that until sunday. it's been a fun couple of months going from that initial stage of straight up k+k to more complex beers with partial mashes, steeps and dry hopping. also now at the stage where i can leave them for three weeks before opening. in the weird year we've had it's been a very relaxing and rewarding hobby. except the washing bottles part, that sucks 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

No hidden torture racks or whips & chains in that dungeon mate 😂😂😂😂

On a good note the Fermzilla & spares etc arrived today 🥳🥳

On a sour note the Pressure Gauge that fits on the spunding valve arrangement is already reading 10Kpa as I unboxed it, I have taken a photo and will contact Kegland tomorrow for a replacement, hopefully before Xmas ☹️☹️

Well crisis averted on the pressure gauge issue, had a think back to my early days just out of my apprenticeship ( I used to do a little pressure gauge in house testing ) had a think about it overnight, came down today, pulled the gauge apart and reset via slight adjustment of the bourdon tube via a u shaped adjuster ( which you can adjust with a screwdriver or pliers )re-assembled, happy days. Larger gauges have an adjusting screw on the actual needle, so only need to remove the plastic cover, ahh yes it’s all come flooding back to me 😃😃

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 5:56 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Honestly not been really that happy with it  Red - the bubble nature of the Pressure FV (PFV) - makes screwing bits on and off not so easy... and this brew could not get to seal - just ran as a Pils Batch really... am hoping to get some plastic fittings for the top lid - KLand seem to think the plastic ones seal better than my SS current ones.

Have to agree here BB.  I got all my other Fermzilla leaks sorted quite quickly and I am very happy with it.  I did find the SS fittings for the top lid a bit disappointing because as you would expect that SS would be of better quality but the rubber seals inside turn out to be crap.  In fact they chew out too easily.  They (KL) say only to tighten these SS ones "hand tight" but found I had to use an adjustable nut fkker (ANF aka shifter) in order to get them to seal.  Unfortunately after using said ANF a few times the seals flog out and the SS fitting is stuffed. Might see if I can source some good quality silicone seals for these SS bits and if I do find some good seal replacement will let you all know.  The red plastic ones are cheap and you can buy them in a bag of 10 so if they leak there is no crying tears of blood when you throw them out.   For my next few batches will swap over to the red plastic ones on the lid.  I have always used the red plastic ones on the trub capture bottle (only hand tight) and they work ok so they do appear to seal much better.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Have to agree here BB.  I got all my other Fermzilla leaks sorted quite quickly and I am very happy with it.  I did find the SS fittings for the top lid a bit disappointing because as you would expect that SS would be of better quality but the rubber seals inside turn out to be crap.  In fact they chew out too easily.  They (KL) say only to tighten these SS ones "hand tight" but found I had to use an adjustable nut fkker (ANF aka shifter) in order to get them to seal.  Unfortunately after using said ANF a few times the seals flog out and the SS fitting is stuffed. Might see if I can source some good quality silicone seals for these SS bits and if I do find some good seal replacement will let you all know.  The red plastic ones are cheap and you can buy them in a bag of 10 so if they leak there is no crying tears of blood when you throw them out.   For my next few batches will swap over to the red plastic ones on the lid.  I have always used the red plastic ones on the trub capture bottle (only hand tight) and they work ok so they do appear to seal much better.

Cheers - AL

Hey Boozer, I just bought a Fermzilla for my Xmas present, so going to give it a run after Xmas probs 27th Dec or something as I’m on holidays, just one question if I may, what pressure during fermentation do you run at on the gauge ? 

‘Cheers RD44 🍻🍻

Hey @Red devil 44 just to butt in, I usually run my Fermzilla between 12.5 - 15 psi for lagers. I haven't done an ale as yet and I believe if you are looking for esters with ales it may be better to run at lower pressures. Actually I do have an ale in the fermenter at present but that was done with Voss Kviek at 35° and at 15 psi and is currently cold crashing after a 2 day ferment. I am quite a fan of pressure fermenting, it is great for lagers as they can ferment at higher temperatures and shorten the ferment time considerably but I still do not have much experience with ales with pressure ferments.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Hey @Red devil 44 just to butt in, I usually run my Fermzilla between 12.5 - 15 psi for lagers. I haven't done an ale as yet and I believe if you are looking for esters with ales it may be better to run at lower pressures. Actually I do have an ale in the fermenter at present but that was done with Voss Kviek at 35° and at 15 psi and is currently cold crashing after a 2 day ferment. I am quite a fan of pressure fermenting, it is great for lagers as they can ferment at higher temperatures and shorten the ferment time considerably but I still do not have much experience with ales with pressure ferments.

No worries mate, cheers for the info, that’s what I like about this forum, everybody helps and assists in whatever way they can 😃😃

I have 2 x fermenting fridges but the Fermzilla will only fit in one of them ( measured it up of the Kegland website before I bought it )

‘It’s downstairs in the box, itching to get at it but my wife bought it for me as a Xmas present so I will wait, feel like a kid only 9 more sleeps, although I won’t get to brewing on Xmas day as we have a family function, but it won’t be far off a run. 😜😜😜😜

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Cheers - AL

Cheers Boozer - good stuff.  And please do let us know if you find good seals for SS fittings mate.  That'd be gold. Thanks mate!!  And loved the ANF haha. Gold. Cheers. BB

1 hour ago, kmar92 said:

it is great for lagers as they can ferment at higher temperatures

Hey Cobber!  What is your temp combo w 12-15 psi pressure for clean fresh Lagers say with something like W34/70?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

With W34/70 I now use 23°-24°, I reckon you could go higher but I haven't tried that as yet. Ferments well at 24°ish with a nice clean finish and zero off tastes in the brew. The great advantage of pressure fermenting for me so far is with lagers as with the higher temps it ferments out really fast. No need for a diacetyl rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Pretty sure I know where they come from! Got those labels all through my freezer at home!

My hop freezer too 🙂 

I like Hoppy Days. A good variety, good prices, fast and easy delivery and good to talk to. A bit far from my place but I only go there when I have a huge order, like 30+kg grain. Delivery is cheaper than the toll I pay to go there 🙂 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Fermzilla between 12.5 - 15 psi for lagers.

--

I am quite a fan of pressure fermenting, it is great for lagers as they can ferment at higher temperatures and shorten the ferment time considerably but I still do not have much experience with ales with pressure ferments.

Kmar so mate how many days then for your 23-24 deg 12 PSI Lager on W34/70 say beginning at 1050-1055 ish... ?

...Total Ferment Days post-pitch before cold crashing?

1 minute ago, kmar92 said:

5 days pitch to cold crash with W34/70.

Cool that sounds good thanks KMar mate - I think that my current Lager experiment will tie in nicely with that - and am hoping to try a Vossy in the future ; ) 

5 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Kmar so mate how many days then for your 23-24 deg 12 PSI Lager on W34/70 say beginning at 1050-1055 ish... ?

...Total Ferment Days post-pitch before cold crashing?

Hey BB, how many days in a Fermzilla from pitching yeast, fermentation, cold crash, then to the keg with the Fermy ?

irish red, kveik yeast and at my expected FG in under 100 hours (1.050->1.013approx). just did a dry hop with 30g of amarillo so i'm going to leave it so sit until bottling sunday morning.

quick yeast question - my LHBS is out of Kviek but has BE-134 Belgian Saison in stock. is this going to be  a suitable yeast for a red ale given i don't have a fridge yet and looking at brewing at around 25c?

IMG_6458.thumb.jpg.daabf6b2e71b4f75f689020d62c31475.jpg

21 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Hey BB, how many days in a Fermzilla from pitching yeast, fermentation, cold crash, then to the keg with the Fermy ?

Many permutations to the boundary conditions - good Thread here - Fermenting under pressure.... check it out - hoped I set a link from over there... 

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

my LHBS is out of Kviek but has BE-134 Belgian Saison in stock. is this going to be  a suitable yeast for a red ale.

Simply no, i would stick with a Nottingham at 25c rather than a saison. Saison will give funk thats imho you either love or hate. Notty will give a beer more to the style.

• Like 3