Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

if any unwanted diacetyl

Cheers Lusty and for the positive words mate... yeah never had a prob w DiAc following @Otto Von Blotto temp protocol and w W34/70 so touch wood donk-donk should be ok... usually give it some time in those warmer climes... then we do a slow cool-down with yeast clean-up and so far - so good - no troubles - in bottlies earlier on... and now in the kegs.... I wonder are some of the other Lager Yeasts more troublesome for these off-flavours?

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

1.016 atm. Expected is approx. 1.013-14

Will be interesting to see how it all ends up... should be good... and your very first Stout mate well never too late to make a nice Coopers Stout ha ha?!  Probably was my first ever Coopers KnK years ago haha!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have got three on tap at the moment.  Mexican Stout, Promising Ale and Island Toasted Coconut Porter. 

Woohoo going well Shamus!  Yummo.  Great job mate ; )

• Like 2

Ferment almost done on my SCMEG IPA at 1.015 from 1.061.

Dry hopped today with 25g each of Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado and Galaxy.

Hanging baskets of Hoppylon!

The Pyrex bowl does a great job of keeping the hops submerged 👍

Cheers

James

5D38F30C-F891-4851-922B-B91F7C86387D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Currently doing a tweak of the Boerderij Saison - made as per recipe, although I only use DME (1.25kg), adding some extra to up the ABV, Hallertau instead of Perle, and dry hopped 25g Cascade and 20g Amarillo at day 5 - looking the goods!  OG was 1.082, gonna test on the weekend and see where it is up to....

Edited by Waynealford
  • Like 4

Dosed up my wheat brew with some aromatics last night, day 7 ferment at 18°C. Coriander seeds, orange peel & celery seeds. 

Clarification.. Orange ZEST, not the whole peel

Edited by JoeB7
missed something
  • Like 3

Batched up my next brew being the Fresh Draught, another spreadsheet recipe and my first brew using hop additions. Strictly adhered to the recipe for this first go with hops with a 12g steep/15min. Not adverse to maybe doing a dry hop at day 7-8 but we can work all that on another thread.

Coopers Draught tin

1.5kg light dry malt

Cascade hops 12-13g steeped 15min in plunger. Topped up to 23L

W34/70 yeast 2L starter, used wort poured off and swirled with fresh(from FV) then pitched at 22°

• Like 3

I have 5 kegs in the fridge, 2 not long gone in and carbonating, my Dark Old Ale has had a few testers out of it and there's a Fixation clone almost gone and my Citrus IPA is well over half gone. 

So it's time for a new brew - or rather another of the previous brew that is my attempt at Fixation.

This is him... 

image.png.baac824f4a9479d76dd44fc385b532d0.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I have 5 kegs in the fridge, 2 not long gone in and carbonating, my Dark Old Ale has had a few testers out of it and there's a Fixation clone almost gone and my Citrus IPA is well over half gone. 

So it's time for a new brew - or rather another of the previous brew that is my attempt at Fixation.

This is him... 

This is in the fridge. OG came in 3 points down but I know why - the 300g brown sugar goes in the vitality starter so is fermented quite well by the time it gets pitched, so doesn't contribute to OG.

Sample tasted nice, nice bitter on the sides and back of tongue and very pleasant, slightly sweet flavours.

• Like 1

Mine had about 1cm of foam after 45 mins - this morning it is more than 6cm Kraussen. 

I'm definitely using sugar in my starters from now on - I'd forgotten how fast things start with it compared to when I swapped to using LDME.

Was going to cold crash the kolsch today but after checking the grav it’s dropped another 2 points since I warmed it up a little. Sitting on 1.006. Really happy with this beer. Nice little bit of honey bread coming through with the Munich addition and A touch of fruit ester with the yeast. 
really high floc yeast too which is good. Was going to fine it but will just cold crash n keg. 

8CBB6984-9ACE-4367-BF47-C68BFDF5D701.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Mine had about 1cm of foam after 45 mins - this morning it is more than 6cm Kraussen. 

I'm definitely using sugar in my starters from now on - I'd forgotten how fast things start with it compared to when I swapped to using LDME.

Its not a race to get Kraussen. Its more about yeast health. The recomended rehydration process is just use water. This allows the yeast to absorb the water through their membranes so they are ready to tackle sugar. What your doing is like giving the kids a bag of lollies before dinner. Yes they will eat them but they wont be that hungry for dinner.

• Like 2

Russian Imperial Stout went into one my old non pressurizable fermenters today. Used about 400ml of Lallemand Abbaye slurry from Belgian Choc Stout. I also added two packs of boiled Coopers yeast (rip). Going to add the Dex (maybe malt) later. I put the drill aerator to good use and now have a head up to the top of the fermenter.

My main fermenter with Nelson Summer Ale is  starting to pressurized - so US05 is hard at work. Nice grapeyness coming out of the spunding valve.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Titan said:

Its not a race to get Kraussen. Its more about yeast health. The recomended rehydration process is just use water. This allows the yeast to absorb the water through their membranes so they are ready to tackle sugar. What your doing is like giving the kids a bag of lollies before dinner. Yes they will eat them but they wont be that hungry for dinner.

And yet they do - faster than I see others on here get results and quicker overall in time of ferment. The 'bag of lollies' analogy would seem to be wrong.

I wasn't 'racing' I was informing. The 'recommended' process is slow and I noticed a distinct difference when I swapped to LDME to prime the starter so I am back to using raw sugar. This was faster to develop 'head' than I have noticed before but maybe I didn't have a reason to open the fridge 45 minutes in prior to this. 

Thick Kraussen in under 10 hours and never had a brew NOT at FG in 6 days - I go by results. YMMV. 😄

It did cross my mind that the results I see might be to do with vitality starter instead of viability but I use the exact same process each time, only the LDME and sugar changed.

Edited by Journeyman

image.png.e0cd8bc6e7253f86bd6d89bb3d1bfb91.png

Ol' 55 Prowlin' Amber Ale is burbling away... only managed to crack 1055... was hoping for a bit more but the Diastatic Power of my Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt after a few mash experiences - seems a bit low - plus not likely aided by the Munich Malt... probably need to crank in a bit more base malt in future if I want to push up the SG a bit further... in the meantime,  Ol' 55 PAA is going just fine. 

As for the festy old Ol' 55 Band ha ha.... mmm... "On the prowl...."       bit of a laugh and a blast from the past...  hadn't heard it for years.

image.thumb.png.275d4637fdaf94caa5bfcfe77f24485c.png

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Malt Bill - Yeasty boys - and temp please MB?

85% bestmalz Germain Pilsner 

13% munich

2 % carapils 

27ibu with hallertau M

lallemand koln kolsch Yeast x 2 at 18.5 Then a few days at 21.5 to spank it on the bum and finish it off.

• Like 3

On 6/12/2020 at 9:44 PM, JoeB7 said:

Dosed up my wheat brew with some aromatics last night, day 7 ferment at 18°C. Coriander seeds, orange peel & celery seeds. 

Clarification.. Orange ZEST, not the whole peel

Bottled this today. Tasted & WOW! Like a vege Wit Bier. May be coriander heavy, but I'm encouraged with this first time try 🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

lallemand koln kolsch Yeast x 2 at 18.5

Lovely lovely Mitchie - should be gold... am wondering - and I saw @Greeny1525229549 Greeny dropped past too - I only have one packet of same yeast lads...

Do you Brewers think I can get away with one pack and do a reasonable healthy starter - say in 3L - and try to get the yeast happy and healthy into 21L of Wort  - and that I can get away with just one packet of yeast?

3 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

The Kraussen on my RIS is going crazy

Mmmmm the day that the Coopers FV with the Kraussen Collar comes in handy ?!  ; )

Those festive heavy dark brews can kick up a fair old frothy top... but it will be a laaaarvely brew because of it Nicos!

Last night I had a sneaky slurp on my AG dark brew that is on its final run home -- down from 1068 -- around 1018 as it went into the SS FV for final clean-up and condition... and is lush already...  hoping to gas it in keg on nitro if all works out...  thinking it might still come down to around 1014.

image.png.9f92c4ff5933962187a8eb72f2c4ba75.png

• Like 3