Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

22 hours ago, Titan said:

No mate, had that a couple years. You missed the one on the right a new snub nosed saurus lol.

You certainly look after your quip if after two years it still has the label hanging off it ha ha?

image.png.708725508f3f33b2dde69c3e1253cd15.png

On 6/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

I'd be checking the SG now. After 16 days it is probably just about finished. 

Mine are usually allowed to rise to 18 after 6 days and reach FG 3-4 days later. The key is to raise the temperature before FG while the yeast are still actively fermenting. 

Got a 3 day 1.016 FG Otto.

Problem is I've got to work all weekend. Might just leave it to chillax in this cold weather until I've got bottling time.

Another crackin day in the brew house. Bulk primed and bottled dark ale No.3, all in twist top long necks. This is sitting in the spa next to dark ale No.2 all bottled in crown seal long necks. Trying to settle if I'm getting poor carbonation in the twisties from leakage or poor ambient temps.

• Like 1

Sparkling Ale No.2 batched up and in the FV. Got pitching temp spot on again so pitched the Coopers commercial yeast in at 22° and held the temp there overnite. The CCY seems to only yield a low flat kraussen but that's possibly due to the temp control I think. Sure makes for easy clean up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just using the last of my COVID brew stocks now.

Done my usual Citra, Simcoe , Mosaic IPA with a twist on the dry hop.  My last IPA had Galaxy in a 5 minute boil and even that for me seems a bit harsh , so I am just sticking it in as a dry hop on this one..

SCMEG IPA brewed 4/6/20

Coopers Lager can 
Coopers LLME can
500g LDME
230g Wheat DME
400g White Sugar 
200g Caramunich II steeped at 65degC for 30mins in 2L

HOPS
Citra 25g 10min
Simcoe 25g 10min

Citra 25g 5min
Simcoe 25g 5 min
Mosaic 25g 5 min

DRY HOP
Citra 25g
Simcoe 25g
Mosaic 25g
El Dorado 25g
Galaxy 25g

OG 1.061
FG 1.013
IBU: 53
ABV: 6.3% in the keg, 6.7% in the bottle

Cheers

James

• Like 5

Added polyclar to the pilsner yesterday. Will keg it next week some time when I have a long break at work. 

That keg will then be kept chilled in the other brew fridge (old kegerator). I think the temperature setting on it is out of whack as I had it set to -4 with the controller set to zero while the pale ale was cold crashing, and the beer temp only dropped to about 3. This is a good enough temp for it so no issues there (better than the 8 or 9 degrees the old kitchen fridge could manage), so I'll stick the keg in there, leave the probe sitting in there somewhere and set the controller to something ridiculous like -10 that it'll never get down to, so it just keeps the kegerator on the whole time. Should get another 3 weeks or so of lagering in there before the pale ale keg runs dry.

• Like 1

Pilsener near 2 deg C doing its final cool-down in the SSFV after its clean-up phase, while the Lager is just finishing its di- acetyl rest at 18 deg and cooling down slowly in the Coopers Plazzi for its journey through the clean-up...

image.png.dee8d40380b8991a385671b5ef529bca.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4

Ok so testing has been completed. Glycol arrived yesterday so emptied the esky. 20l glycol topped off to about 56l with water. All lines set and lid closed. Test lager temperature set to 12c on grainfather and 2c on the chiller. Chiller did well went from 22 to 2c in 45 mins. Grainfather set at 12c. Initially the temperature was not dropping in the GF but a quick top up with water solved this. I also dropped my tilt in the mix just to see if they actually concurred. Tilt says 11.7 and GF says 12 so happy they are close. Brew day on Monday and i will brew a pils.. 1 question i have 3 inkbirds 1 is the wifi version. This is not what i have in the chiller. Do you think its wise to use this? Just means i can cold crash remotely. 

Screenshot_20200606-142503_Tilt 2.jpg

20200606_142520.jpg

No mate, glycol is good (but pricey as you found) it's just usually for sub zero applications. In a sealed circuit water would suffice when you are only hitting 2°C. So the A/C coil in your esky is copper aluminium & probably zinc plated steel endplates? We used to throw metho in the water to lower the freezing point but it evaporates eventually. Salt is another option but as you said corrosion/electrolytic reaction with the different metals.  Looks good👍, we all await the results of your "Frankenstein" chiller 😝

• Haha 1

Really into these easy, all extract brews, fermented in the keg.

Spunded Motueka Lager

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
1kg light DME
30gm Motueka boiled x 5 min, then allowed to stand x 20 min (uncovered)
15gm Motueka hop stand addition x 20 min, added when temp had dropped to 72C. Lid applied but left ajar.
10mL Clarity Ferm
17L combo of RO and tap water
MJ M76 Barvarian Lager yeast

Started at 10PSI. Pressure fermentation is great for lagers.

Cheers,

Christina.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

How’s the wife going with this? No issues still?

I keep using it because I know she has non-celiac gluten intolerance, and she likes the occasional beer, but beer still has a negative effect on her. That could be coming from the alcohol itself, or histamine though.

She tolerates vodka the best, followed by gluten reduced beer, then white wine; she doesn't tolerate red wine, which is too bad because that is her favourite. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:
Really into these easy, all extract brews, fermented in the keg.

Spunded Motueka Lager

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cervesa
1kg light DME
30gm Motueka boiled x 5 min, then allowed to stand x 20 min (uncovered)
15gm Motueka hop stand addition x 20 min, added when temp had dropped to 72C. Lid applied but left ajar.
10mL Clarity Ferm
17L combo of RO and tap water
MJ M76 Barvarian Lager yeast

Started at 10PSI. Pressure fermentation is great for lagers.

Cheers,

Christina.

Can I ask a dumb question Christina. When you say fermenting your beer in a keg under pressure, do you mean serving kegs? If so how does the beer release fermenting gases? I'm very interested. 

@PaleMan Yes, I do mean in serving kegs. This is done with a spunding valve which regulates the pressure, so excess gases above your chosen PSI are vented off. Fermenting under pressure can also be done in a Fermentasaurus or Fermzilla. In my case, I use one of my serving kegs, which is a 19L keg. In order to leave some room for krausen, I have to reduce the batch size to 17L. I don't transfer to another keg after fermentation, just throw it in the chest freezer around day 8, add gelatin and start the force carbonation process on day 9, tap on day 11. 

Fermenting under pressure has a similar effect on yeast as fermenting at lager temperatures, so it is a way of making lagers at ambient temperature. The one tricky thing about pressure fermentation is dry hopping, which is easier with a Fermentasaurus than a keg. 

There is a thread about it:

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

Reduced batch size is one reason I haven't bothered with pressure fermentation. The other reason is those types of fermenters wouldn't fit in either brew fridge. I understand the idea of not really needing as precise temperature control, however the fridges also keep them from cooling down too far in winter. Not sure the missus would like a tank of horrid looking liquid sitting in the dining or living areas so normal fermenters and fridges outside it is 😜 

I'm also happy with my beers and not sure fermenting under pressure would improve them enough to bother. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

a tank of horrid looking liquid sitting in the dining or living area

Ha ha as we were discussing a while ago the ol' FV can look a bit daunting when full in ferment!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just pitched an active starter of 1318 into a juicy pale ale.

1.054 SG with loads of oats and flaked wheat (and enough rice hulls to keep me out of trouble.)

Whirlpool was equal parts Simcoe, Mosaic and Citra.

Bio T hops (same combo) added at pitch today. Will do a second dry hop charge at terminal.

High chloride water profile.

Hoping it'll be thick and fluffy but still smashable.

Cheers all. 🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frankenstein Brew.

I wanted to do the tri-can stout @Ben 10 mentioned but I did say I was going to do an out of date can brew. Everything listed expired Sep & Nov 2019 except the English bitter, that expired a month ago. Hops over 18 months old.

I think I used the EB yeast in 2018 on a porter toucan. OG read 1.090 but it was just syrupy at bottom of FV. Give it a day or two see what occurs

Displaying Screenshot_20200608-170041_BrewTracker.jpg

• Haha 1