Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 5/28/2020 at 6:52 AM, iBooz2 said:

Yep he is a cheap bugga @Bearded Burbler and he moves the one temp strip from one FV to the next and so on.  😂  Does not want to remove the backing paper so it will stick to one only and give him a more accurate reading.  😆  Although having said that, my strips on my FV's are usually out by about 1 to 2 C.

Al is A1 Correcto!!!  But it has never been moved ha ha ha.... but yeah - usually was only a bit out and now... seems to have lost its "trim" haha!  Well spotted @Titan and analysed Boozer!

On 5/28/2020 at 12:35 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Have fun cleaning that FV BB 🤣🤣🍺🍺

Ha ha Red - yes will need a bit of 'elbow grease'.... most of the time it comes off pretty nicely!  But was nice to have a good vigorous Yeasty Krausen fluffy top to show it was off and racing!

Has all calmed down now it is 12-14 and on the long haul ; )

On 5/28/2020 at 4:34 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

just soak in perc overnight and it's all gone. 

Yeah I would like to do that but even tho have got more rainwater in the tanks now still have to pretty careful with me water so try to avoid having to fill the whole FV up for a soak...  Rubber gloves, and a sterile chux cloth and hot wash over plus a good few hot rinses seems to work ok.  Plus don't really want to tip gallons of Perc down into my Septic which needs its microbes to stay healthy to work properly...  and the SS FV washes very easily.  But the Coopers FV is great for first phase of ferment as you can see what is going on.  Need a 30L Pyrex Vessel with a ground-glass seal to the lid hey?!  😜

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 5/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, iBooz2 said:

2 litre wort of pre-boiled hot water and 200 g of DME

Yeah Boozer am with you and @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey with the DME and I do same ratio.... 200g in 2L...  seems to go ok...

Do you or anyone else think I could harvest some CCA Yeast from Coopers Stout?  I know the endless blather re ABV and the science is good - yes - about Pale vs higher ABV stuff...

But I find the Pale a bit thin and not worth the $$... but have got some of the good black stuff which is worth the money... if nil contam nor wild yeast infection... it should be possible or?

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

It'd probably work but the yeast wouldn't be in as healthy condition being in a higher ABV environment. 

So any thoughts on anything 'extra' needing to be done to coax them back to life again : )

... you know what I mean Kelsey - to give them a fighting chance?

Also... do you think the Coopers Stout Yeast and Coopers Sparkling Yeast are different say from each other and the Pale Yeast - or all same CCA?

Agree with Kelsey. Just use more as there will be more cell death in the high ABV beer and look for the closest best after date so its as fresh as possible. I usually use 3 sparkling ale tallies as its my favourite of all the coopers beers. Put the dregs in a sanitised jar over 2 or 3 nights then make a starter from that. 

• Thanks 1

Dry hopped my Irish Red Ale with 20g East Kent Goldings

Dry hopped Stone & Wood Clone with 100g Galaxy 

Both brews 6 days in @ 19 degrees, probably leave until next Friday then keg, won’t bother CC these as S & W is naturally cloudy anyway and last time the Irish Red Ale cleared up great after kegging and storing for a few weeks.

No brewing this weekend as stocks are up, 6 kegs full in storage, 5 in keezer, 4 on tap and 1 gassed up and ready to go as my NZ Pilsner may blow this arvo.

Good brewing and go the Sharkies today 😜😜

Anyway back to carpentry and rebuilding my laundry.

Cheers RD44🍺🍺

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

6 kegs full in storage, 5 in keezer, 4 on tap and 1 gassed up and ready to go

Mate as noted previously your production has been going through the roof!  Well done Red... and that brew with the 100g of LH Galaxy sounds like it will have some grunt!

Great stuff and you should have enough brew to keep you going during the significant construction projects ha ha ; )

• Haha 1

What's in your Fermenter?  Not quite just yet... but once milled... the below WILL BE ; )   

Should keep me going for a while and no real worry if there is a COVID rebound hey ?!     😜

image.png.76303abb8b9516808524a5ce44871f56.png

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What's in your Fermenter?  Not quite just yet... but once milled... the below WILL BE ; )   

Should keep me going for a while and no real worry if there is a COVID rebound hey ?!     😜

Holy sh#t BB, looks like you’re well stocked now, what is your favourite hop ? I dry hopped my S & W I did a while back with 100g Galaxy and it turned out great, so had another go 🍺🍺

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate, you're supposed to make the beer, THEN put it in the esky. 🤓

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do you or anyone else think I could harvest some CCA Yeast from Coopers Stout?

Dark ale harvest worked fine for me. Just searched all the stock for the freshest "best after" date. My gut feeling is you would get away with stout if it was new stock

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UncleStavvy said:

Dark ale harvest worked fine for me. Just searched all the stock for the freshest "best after" date. My gut feeling is you would get away with stout if it was new stock 

Truly spoken Stavvly!

But surely if these 'self proclaimed legends' can do it after 220 years... Burbler Brewing should be able to revitalise a twelve month old Coopers Stout CCA Yeast one would hope...  though their lab may have better facilities than ours...

Australian brewer James Squire claims to have created the world's oldest surviving beer, made with 220-year-old yeast derived from an intact beer bottle discovered at the bottom of a shipwreck. This old beer made new, The Wreck Preservation Ale, was officially launched in Sydney this month.Jun 19, 2018

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Australian brewer James Squire claims to have created the world's oldest surviving beer, made with 220-year-old yeast derived from an intact beer bottle discovered at the bottom of a shipwreck. This old beer made new, The Wreck Preservation Ale, was officially launched in Sydney this month.Jun 19, 2018

I have made beer from FRESH yeast & it can still taste like shit😆

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow! Can I borrow a cup of 10 different grains?!

Hahah, that is a beautiful site.  I spy a bag of pilsner malt and I think a bag of Barrett Burston Pale malt but cannot tell if it is the 3.9 or 5.9 and one, they are both good.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Wow! Can I borrow a cup of 10 different grains?!

Ha ha Norris... let me know what you need... but I think you got it right next door big fella !

Two of the bags are from CPB (the freight killed me but we gotta brew) and you are sooo lucky you can skip down to CPB and see what they have got!!!

What's great is that @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey and a few others put me onto a good mill... and it is so nice to be able to mill fresh...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Norris! said:

It is a pretty awesome shop. I have spent many of hours wandering around. If only the wallet was bigger, if only.

Mate you are drinking the World's best beer -Your HB - yes tthere are other things.... but u r a long way down the track!!!

• Thanks 1