Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Beer needs to be below zero to freeze so you could set it to zero without issue. 

Ha ha too true - chilled my Sparkling Ale down before kegging today - and the water in the airlock bubbler had frozen ; ) 

But the beer was all good meh 😋

• Like 2

Transferring the Altbier from Coopers Plazzi FV to the sterilised SS Vat for DiAcetyl Rest and then finish conditioning and then cold crash prior to kegging...  and thereby also making room for next brew in Coops FV.  Remnants of brew day yesterday - holding the next wort that will be filled into the Coops FV once emptied and cleaned.

image.png.0d570c62ef3b701010233048b14967a1.png

• Like 1

I've been away from home for about 6 weeks now. Found a Morgan's FV and some bits n pieces in the brother in law's shed.

I gave it a clean up and put down a quick brew using Kveik yeast to experiment in the ambient Qld temps and just to school the BIL up on what can be done, as he gave up after 1 batch of a failed ginger beer fermented at ambient temps. 

Coopers APA K&K with DME

5ltr boil with 500g DME

25g of both Cascade and Mosaic at FO for 15 mins.

20 ltrs (all rain water)

Llamend Voss Kveik yeast 

OG 1045, pitched at 35 degrees.

Temps have been around 30 to 28 degrees in the FV.

After 1 day it's SG had already dropped down to 1017.

Tasted great.

Will dry hop with prob 50g of each of the above hops.

• Like 5

Got a Kveik pale/ipa with cashmere hops. 
Started yesterday at 25 and raised to 35 over 12 hours in the FV, very close to finishing today. 
Will dry hop with vic secret 160g and cold crash Thursday, fast carb Friday for a beer Sat. 

• Like 4

W34/70 doing a good job on the AG Pilsener Wort 24 hours on after pitching the starter  ; )

image.png.7df6d09adc24a0beee52950c365e930f.png

Hope it's not too angry with me as had to shift it off the warming plate -- which is not needed -- to allow me Rustic Rye some room to stay warm for its 18 hours rise  ha ha?! 😜

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

My KB lager clone is down to 1018 after 5 days. Sample tastes really nice. Have adjusted the fridge from 10 to 18c so will let it free rise to finish off. The southern german lager yeast tastes a lot like the Budvar yeast. I think it would go well in a pilsener as well.

Nice Greeny - what was the festive Southern German Yeast mate?

3 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

WLP838 mate. First use for this KB lager. Looks like it will be a nice yeast. Supposedly very high flocculation too. 

Nice mate...  might have to give that Baby a go... cheers Greeny!                     I'll put it on the list ; )

image.png.8062ea67f67b23eddbd051b6b1286214.png

House Pale is done, as been noted from above posts and others threads, this yeast is crazy. The garage and fridge smells nice and I dry hopped yesterday with 50g simcoe and Columbus and 30g of cascade flowers. I will pull the dry hops tomorrow, but can someone tell if they read anywhere that said something about the hops extracting quicker at higher temps for dry hopping? I thought I saw that, but will pull them tomorrow and cold crash then carb it up maybe Thursday night or Friday. The cold crash is just to help the carbonation overnight.

Kveik, should be in the starter pack for beer kits, considering what a new brewer would mostly have and put in an ale kit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Got a Kveik pale/ipa with cashmere hops. 
Started yesterday at 25 and raised to 35 over 12 hours in the FV, very close to finishing today. 
Will dry hop with vic secret 160g and cold crash Thursday, fast carb Friday for a beer Sat. 

What's the attenuation percentage on this Kveik stuff?

7 minutes ago, Norris! said:

...Kveik, should be in the starter pack for beer kits, considering what a new brewer would mostly have and put in an ale kit.

@Coopers DIY Beer Team @Coopers

Not sure what other brand kits use as their base dry yeast, but the basic ale strain Coopers use is very hearty, quick acting, fairly neutral, & with good attenuation I find.

It's what profile is left after fermentation that becomes important. If this Kveik is as good as many home brewers & commercial brewers are claiming it is, I'm sure Coopers are thinking about, or potentially considering some small volume trials with these strains to evaluate their worth.

I really have NFI what Coopers are doing in this area, but thought I'd throw out there. 😁

Lusty.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2020 at 1:27 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Do you think these aromas/flavours came from the yeast?  They do not sound a lot like what you normally get from those hops based on my experience with Cascade and what I read about Motueka.

I am not sure Shamus, the yeast might have a lot to do with.  I love the results I get with this yeast, and am getting used to working with it. I strongly suspect that it is one that is able to do biotransformation, and I chose my hop timings assuming that it does.

You are right that I would never had guessed that there was Cascades in this if I didn't know, and I had no idea what to expect to from Motueka. There is not much info about Motueka; only the major components are published....Of course when you put two hops together, the ratios of oil fractions change completely; it is like it becomes a brand new hop.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

80% or so. 

The only mainstream neutral ale strain I have any trust in that can pull a percentage that high (depending on grists of course) is Nottingham. Nottingham strips various levels of flavour with that (I find), which has me believe these Kveik strains may do the same.

Depending on what type/style of beer I am making, yeast attenuation & flavour profiles become very important. I admit I know very little about the Kveik strains to comment about their end flavours, but if they attenuate at 80%, there can only be so much left in the malt flavour of the final beer.

I'm honest enough to accept I don't know much about these strains & would be happy to hear info about what some of the different strains can produce from those that have used a few of the different strains & understand their unique differences (if in fact they do have unique differences 🤔).

Cheers,

Lusty.

48 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Nottingham strips various levels of flavour with that (I find), 

if they attenuate at 80%, there can only be so much left in the malt flavour

I’ve tried quite a few commercial Kveik IPAs and pale ales with very little malt character, and hop flavour at all. 
The one that stands out the most was a red ipa from a Modus. Had some great aroma in the glass, then sip and nothing......... nothing it all. I had another couple of sips and ordered something different. 
ive been mashing at around 65 which has helped I believe as I haven’t had this stripping effect like Not. 
All my Kveik beers have been full flavoured and highly aromatic. 
Ive used the opshaug, dried Voss, yeast bay and another one I can’t remember the name of. 
So far I’ve enjoyed the opshaug the most due to the orangey flavour it threw in those beers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

the hops extracting quicker at higher temps for dry hopping?

Palmer 2017 page 72:

3-5 days at 10-21 deg C.  "Allow less contact time at warmer temperatures"....  that is pretty much all that is said there @Norris! Norris mate.

... upon the threat of the dreaded GRASSINESS!?! 😝   Dunno much about what that means mate : )

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 4:35 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Gen 2 WLP95 Burlington Ale yeast slurry

So how did you come up with the Combo between Coopers Mexican Cerveja and Burlington Ale yeast Christina pray tell?

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

ive been mashing at around 65 which has helped I believe as I haven’t had this stripping effect like Not. 

Mashing at your lower temps tho Cappo - does not that push out a greater amount of fermentables  - which would have the propensity to lead to a greater amount of stripping of remnant flavour compounds as they have been metabolised by the yeast?  I noticed Ben doing some at 64 and have been giving that a go... with higher Gravity beers.

i.e. mashing cooler for more fermentables and hence attenuation - rather than mashing hotter - where the amount of fermentables are reduced... which may leave greater body in the beer with associated flavour impact - but lower ABV?

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So how did you come up with the Combo between Coopers Mexican Cerveja and Burlington Ale yeast Christina pray tell?

Ha-ha. Yeah,  just a light coloured kit whose bitterness level is around what I was looking for.  The grain bills of the light coloured kits are mostly base malt.  I view them as blank slates. I pick based on IBU level. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mashing at your lower temps tho Cappo - does not that push out a greater amount of fermentables  - which would have the propensity to lead to a greater amount of stripping of remnant flavour compounds as they have been metabolised by the yeast?  I noticed Ben doing some at 64 and have been giving that a go... with higher Gravity beers.

i.e. mashing cooler for more fermentables and hence attenuation - rather than mashing hotter - where the amount of fermentables are reduced... which may leave greater body in the beer with associated flavour impact - but lower ABV?

Mashing at 65 IS high for ME. As the brew in the bag strike temp in at 67-68 allowing for loss due to grain temp usually takes a little bit to come down to temp, most of the conversion happens in the first 15 minutes. So yes, I would be picking up some unfermentable sugars more so than what I normally mash in at. 63/64
Not much but yes, a little more. 
Plus most of my malt bills have unmalted wheat in them which gives a little character and mouthfeel. 
The Red IPA that I spoke about had absolutely nothing of grain character whatsoever. It tasted like hop water.
My beers with this yeast have been delicious.

• Like 1