Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 5/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, Journeyman said:

Oh, c'mon... You must have beer you can drink? ๐Ÿ˜„ย Bottles to clean? Shelves to build to stack all the bottles you've been filling? ๐Ÿ˜„

Do now. Shed night at a mates place yesterday, first since lockdown. Gratefully received 5 doz long necks and a 48 crown seal stubbies. ๐Ÿ˜€

Aussie bitter still chugging away. I could remove the krausen collar but I'm gonna leave it till day 10 I reckon. Still smells pretty good in the fridge.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NewBrews said:

Second check on the ESB and Iโ€™m gonna call it done at 1.010.ย 

Dropped a lot clearer since yesterday even at 22 still.

So now down to 1 degree. Thatโ€™ll make you earn your keep fridge!

ย 

978EE51B-86DD-4AA8-8845-0F1F62B23AD0.jpeg

Thats heaps lighter in colour than my extra smooth bitter. Did you do something different?

ย 

1.7kgย can Coopers European lager

1.7kgย can Black Rock liquid light malt

500grm LDM

22gr saaz hops steeped

Mangrove Jacks M76 (yet to be pitched)

21ltr brew

Have my wort at 27C so left it outside in 14C ambient until I get a decent yeast temp.ย 

• Like 2

I used the english bitter kit with molasses so that would be darker than the lager extract for sure

It's a neat trick to keep the wort temp down. Ive started limiting the boiled water to only 2L then mixed with 2L of puratap water at about 20ยฐ. Thats enough to mix 1.5kg of dry malt just without to many lumps. I hit that with a sanitised bar-mix to blend out the lumps then add the extract tin. Once it's topped up to 20-23L temps about perfect for ale yeast

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Thats heaps lighter in colour than my extra smooth bitter. Did you do something different?

ย 

All grain recipe from Hoppy Days. Can tune it in however you like it, but that was the exact recipe off their page as I like to follow the recipe first time around.

I remember when I did the ESB using the kit that it was considerably darker.

But tastes like an ESB so Iโ€™m happy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

I used the english bitter kit with molasses so that would be darker than the lager extract for sure

It's a neat trick to keep the wort temp down. Ive started limiting the boiled water to only 2L then mixed with 2L of puratap water at about 20ยฐ. Thats enough to mix 1.5kg of dry malt just without to many lumps. I hit that with a sanitised bar-mix to blend out the lumps then add the extract tin. Once it's topped up to 20-23L temps about perfect for ale yeast

I didn't realise the previous owner has the kitchen water filter hooked up to hot for some reason. They had young kids so maybe it was for milk formula. I'll just hydrate the yeast to pitch later tonight. Just pretend I'm cold crashing enviro style๐Ÿ˜œ

8 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Beaut @RDT2 RD - thank you!

Why Melanoidin?ย  what does it bring?ย  (not used it before so am interested)

Can you advise what Temp Protocol you did -- if you dont' mind...ย  Lager type protocol I guess with W34/70 (Gold Yeast ha ha!!!) ?

ย 

And as for Whirlfloc... mate.... I don't have a lot of water to waste... so don't do chill... just leave cool overnight with Fan to assist... Palmer somewhere writes indicating this is no biggie... not best practice but I really don't see any bad influences... keep the lid down tight on the SS Vessel...

But I ran out of the Wfloc Tabs I don't know how many beers ago... and have not noticed missing it... so I am not convinced it is essential.

Guess if you don't have that long floc time I use it might make more of a difference?

How long you cold crashing for?

Sounds like a very very nice beer is on the way RD Woohoo - let us know how it goes!!!

ย 

I just mashed at 67 melanoidin gives a stronger malt flavour I believe so no need for decoction mash I used it in one of my earlier pilsners as well which was Ottos recipe plus it also says it goes well in dark German beers. I think it can be used as a substitute for honey malt also. Still undecided on cold crash I added finings today not sure if it is needed had a little taste it was malty canโ€™t wait!!!

• Like 1

Finings work better when the beer is cold.ย 

Melanoidin is used to mimic the flavour of a decoction mash.ย 

Whirlfloc isn't exclusively used when chilling beers. It coagulates and drops out the hot break straight after the boil while the wort sits or whirlpools so it's certainly useful even with no chill. I use a different product that does the same thing and I definitely notice if I don't use it. Last time it resulted in a very cloudy, crap tasting pilsner. Pretty frustrating to put all the effort in and get a substandard result because of one little thing. Only reason was I forgot to buy some after I'd used up the previous lot.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Finings work better when the beer is cold.ย 

Melanoidin is used to mimic the flavour of a decoction mash.ย 

Whirlfloc isn't exclusively used when chilling beers. It coagulates and drops out the hot break straight after the boil while the wort

Sorry I meant the length of the cold crash i was unsure how long I was going to cold crash for as I have a ipa on the go as well and need the fridge. Itย was cold when I put the finings in. I was pissed when I realised I forgot the whirlfloc tablet it wasnโ€™t dropping out like it normally does then I realised hadnโ€™t put it in. It just has a bit more trubย in the fermenter than normalย It seems to have dropped out now though and isย clear so see how it goes and tastes good had a try today. Hopefully cause I chilled it will be clear have read other people donโ€™t even use it.

ย 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

Yeah if I had the floc tabs I would use them at end of Boil... just ran out... but haven't done too bad without them...ย  my Munich Lager was pretty much ok - pretty crisp and clear...

image.png.f087058f2b02eaa61ce553d5d354f449.png

• Like 4

On 4/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, ChristinaS1 said:
Put this on. Once again no partial, due to Covid. Using Motueka for the first time. Motueka has an interesting profile: extremely highย farnesene and linalool, like a European hop on steroids, butย low in caryophylleneย and high in gernaniol, like and American hop. I guess it is often used in lagers, but I was in the mood for a pale ale, so I paired it with Cascades.ย 
ย 
Cascades & Motueka Pale Ale
ย 
1.7kg Mexican Cervesa
1.5kg Light LME
300gm dextrose
25gm Cascades @ 20 min
20gm Motueka @ 5 min
30gm Cascades @ FO x 20 min hop stand
15gm Motueka @ FO x 20 min hop stand
10mL Clarity Ferm
25L RO water
20gm Cascades x 4 day DH
10gm Motueka x 4 day DH
Gen 2 WLP95 Burlington Ale yeast slurry
ย 
I had planned this to be a 23L batch but the water got away on me and I ended up with 25L. Darn! I am a bit concerned I will get an overflow as Burlington Ale yeast is a very vigorous fermenter.ย  Will have to keep a close eye on it.ย 
ย 
Cheers,
ย 
Christina.ย 

Tapped this brew today and it is lovely. It is unlike any beer I have made before. Despite the Cascade hops, it is not the least bit citrus-y. It is honeyed and floral, but not rose-like;ย it is more lilac, or possibly geranium. I might be picking up a hint of banana as well, which I suspect is from the yeast.ย 

Anyway, it is very light (due to the low ABV) and refreshing; reminds me of a lager.ย 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

Took an SG from the Aussie bitter, showing 1.011 so I think its got a bit more to go yet maybe....if I've read the stick correctly I had 1.047 OG but we know that can be misleading. So on the face of it we're getting close to warm up time. Opinions everyone?

image.thumb.png.de957f23e6d42b5d381acd6eafca8d2e.png

ย 

18 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Took an SG from the Aussie bitter, showing 1.011 so I think its got a bit more to go yet maybe....if I've read the stick correctly I had 1.047 OG but we know that can be misleading. So on the face of it we're getting close to warm up time. Opinions everyone?

I up my lagers from 12ยฐC to 18ยฐC once the SG drops under 1.020 so, yes, warm it up now for a day or two.ย  I would cold crash it and package on the coming weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Tapped this brew today and it is lovely. It is unlike any beer I have made before. Despite the Cascade hops, it is not the least bit citrus-y. It is honeyed and floral, but not rose-like;ย it is more lilac, or possibly geranium. I might be picking up a hint of banana as well, which I suspect is from the yeast.ย 

Do you think these aromas/flavours came from the yeast?ย  They do not sound a lot like what you normally get from those hops based on my experience with Cascade and what I read about Motueka.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:39 AM, UncleStavvy said:

Do now. Shed night at a mates place yesterday, first since lockdown. Gratefully received 5 doz long necks and a 48 crown seal stubbies. ๐Ÿ˜€

Aussie bitter still chugging away. I could remove the krausen collar but I'm gonna leave it till day 10 I reckon. Still smells pretty good in the fridge.

Great mate... ๐Ÿ˜„

ย 

This has just gone into the FV. Called it 'Citrus IPA' because Amarillo says 'orange' flavours and there's lemon drop. All hops done as a tea and added before the yeast. I forgot to calc in the tea so it came in a bit above 20L but still got 1.078 for OG.ย 

The LME is actually a Woolies Draught can so I didn't bother trying to get IBU's up - figure the draught can has some bittering in it that isn't registered when I call it Light Malt. The excess OG could also be from there - i forgot to change the amount to 1.7 after experimenting with the figures re LME. Changing the SS to 1.7 gives OG of 1.075, so closer to actual.
image.png.6662166be16c4f77066c5b305af71e0c.png

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Have a bit of a wait for this one. I'm doing a mash and after the over-the-top last mash I did (as far as OG goes) I'm repeating the process to see if it happens again.ย  But everything is ready to rock & roll in about an hour.

This is my 1st attempt at a Fixation brew. Citra and Mosaic to give some bittering then the rest as a tea. No sugar in this one as if it works, I don't want SWMBO liking it. ๐Ÿ˜„ย 

Crystal has been steeped overnight and then drained and the grains are in with the Ale and oats.

image.png.18779af7edf4321141711d4f531ea0aa.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What was your recipe BB?ย  I did a quick search on "Munich Lager", but could not find it. ๏ปฟ

That colour looks lovely.

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean Shamus mate.ย  Appreciate it.ย  Mate I have been very happy with every AG of all sorts I have done.ย  I thank everyone of those on this who have helped in many and varied ways.ย  Only bad one was a burn on - element possibly dodgy - was replaced - and then upgraded.ย  And maybe that brew I went too hard on the Crystal Malt.. but it was the only bad one. Was a pretty blooodddy sad day tho.

Everything else since, however, has been very very good.ย  And I say thanks to all the Festive Brewers and Keggers on this site who have helped me on the journey!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

And besides all brews being good - that Munich Lager was an absolute cracker.... bizarrely good... but I smashed the keg quite quickly because of it ha ha.

I will leave the grain:water ratio to you as all of our systems have different efficiency - but I went fairly heavy 1.063 OG and down to 1.010 FG...

But it did not even taste 'alccy'.... was just really refreshing and the colour was spun Gold ha ha ?!ย ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope that helps mate.

image.png.0d88596c45ac3d74cf504225474915ee.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1