Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

True Aussie bitter lager....12°.....W34/70 yeast..........................boring.....................so............................... slow😴

Seriously thinking about getting another FV, I could bash out another stout waiting for this slow ass brew

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

W34/70 yeast

Come on now Stavvs mate W34/70 is a beautiful thing.... and all good things come to those who wait.  Steady steady. 

As long as you treated your yeasties well and there's no contam all shall come to pass.

Did you make a starter?

And yes agree - too many FVs are barely enough ha ha 😋

Was thinking of getting meself another Coopers Plazzi ha ha... and got 4 FVs already (tho two are baby ones)

Edited by Bearded Burbler

On 5/9/2020 at 7:22 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice Nico - lovely looking recipe and nice FV set-up mate... be nice to see and hear how the beer goes mate!

Were the Concentrate Tins "in-date".... my experience with some older tins of Coopers Concentrate sometimes they could go a bit darker with age...   reckon it should be fine tho.

Anyway welcome aboard.... old brew hand!  ; )

Thanks @Bearded Burbler.

The Fermentasaurus snub nose did good - Didn't put to much pressure (2-3 psi) on it just wanted to reduce chances of oxidation. Whoever assembled it stuffed up and put the o-rings above the dip tube so it would slowly leak when I hooked on to the gas. I think it might have been blocking the beer out disconnect - I had to push CO2 to clear it. I really should have broken it down before use but I assumed, and you know what happens.

I am pretty happy with this one - I can't really take to much responsibility its all the hops driving it. Galaxy really manages to hold its own its own against nelson which is great - nelson can really dominate. The only change I would make is swap half of the LDME for some dex to reduce the body, the FG is 1017 which is a little heavy for a session beer but I guess 6% alcohol isn't great for a session beer.

Colour isn't bad in the glass. I don't think its a darkening from old extract. I try to pick out kits with plenty of time to run. I think they were good till late 20 or 21. I was thinking it might have been the wheat - the LHBS that supplied it isn't air conditioned. More likely its just lack of recent experience.

IMG_20200512_185732__01 - Copy.jpg

Edited by NicolasW
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Come on now Stavvs mate W34/70 is a beautiful thing.... and all good things come to those who wait.  Steady steady. 

Damn BB. This is my life now..... 12.0...........12.1........12.2.....12.3°.....click, fridge on.....12.2......12.1.....12 click, fridge off. A nice low krausen and the inkbird activity is the only sign of life. I guess I can look forward to taking an SG next week so there's that

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, UncleStavvy said:

Damn BB. This is my life now..... 12.0...........12.1........12.2.....12.3°.....click, fridge on.....12.2......12.1.....12 click, fridge off. A nice low krausen and the inkbird activity is the only sign of life. I guess I can look forward to taking an SG next week so there's that

Oh, c'mon... You must have beer you can drink? 😄 Bottles to clean? Shelves to build to stack all the bottles you've been filling? 😄

Edited by Journeyman
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NicolasW said:

the FG is 1017 which is a little heavy for a session beer but I guess 6% alcohol isn't great for a session beer.

That is a lovely looking brew Nico - absolute Cracker mate - very nice!!! Congrats.  Nice Westfalen Krombacher glass too!

Looks like a nice way to come back out onto the paddock after a season or two off mate ?!  ; )

And - well - it sounds like a session beer for me - my kinda session I guess ha ha 😋

Dropped some more Columbus and Mosaic into the "Sparkly AG Ale of Sorts" in a festive hop sock... SG has come down nicely from 1060... had it up to 22 for a DiAc Rest and will gently drop to 18 for a late hoppy daze and then chill down and keg up. 

Smells pretty nice already - have had Enigma Galaxy and Mosaic in already.... but the Columbus and late Mosaic should make it FRUITYLISCIOUS?! 😝

image.png.c69e792046b0ca030e1e2923489619e7.png

• Like 2

Dry "hopped" the Island Toasted Coconut Porter tonight.  SG was 1.016.  

Like the coffee/chocolate aromas on brew day, I got good feedback on the toasted coconut. 

I thought that the desiccated coconut would take up less space when toasted, but not so.  I filled up two extra-large stainless tea-infuser balls plus a Chux cloth. 

I could not tell if the coconut in the tea-balls was getting soaked through.  Instead of a dough-balls I could have coconut-balls.  I hope I get some good extraction from this dry"hop".  As I noted above it smelled really nice.

Should have taken some pics.

• Haha 2

I have removed the Vic secret and calypso dry hop and will let it sit for another day before cold crashing, I might even let it sit one more day to ensure everything is cleaned up. I do a 8 day ferment and 4 day cold crash but might do a 10 and 4 on this one I think.

This brew took forever to get going but it seemed to ferment out alright,I am just picking up some yeast flavours but it is crisp and tastes alright, I am getting the sappy pear from the calypso pretty strongly. The smell is pretty awesome. I am picking up the pear and a lot of tropical aromas. I am just kind of camping out at the fridge sniffing the air.

Looking forward to trying this one but I really cannot wait to do a kolsch with the yeast slurry. Maybe that is what I will brew on Friday or Saturday but I kind of want to do a lager or Aussie draught, kind of.

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

I am just kind of camping out at the fridge sniffing the air.

Ha ha luvyerwork Norris - know that feeling well.... Aaaaah doesn't that smell soooo goood ha ha 🤣

And as for the below - aaaargh the trials and tribulations of a Home Brewer hey!?  Lager - Aussie Draught - Koelsch?!

Hey if you are doing a Koelsch - what Yeast is that mate?

4 hours ago, Norris! said:

but I kind of want to do a lager or Aussie draught, kind of

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha luvyerwork Norris - know that feeling well.... Aaaaah doesn't that smell soooo goood ha ha 🤣

And as for the below - aaaargh the trials and tribulations of a Home Brewer hey!?  Lager - Aussie Draught - Koelsch?!

Should be a German ale yeast.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Titan said:

Should be a German ale yeast.

I will use lallemand Koln yeast slurry. I tossed it in the batch fermenting now, the pack called for 1g/l, I tossed in 10g in 24l.

I wasn't expecting this batch to be super clean because of that, but it is alright, from the samples. That surprised me a little but not too much. It was slow to start but, as above, it is easy to see why.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

My wife came home the other night parked the car in the garage came inside “I can smell fruit tingles or something in the garage” I said that will be the Munich Dunkel fermenting in the garage her reply “oh” 🤣 .

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

...that will be the Munich Dunkel fermenting in the garage her reply “oh” 🤣 .

That's Gold @RDT2.... luvyerwork ha ha!!!

And now - what was your grain bill - yeast - and hop list?!  ; )

True Aussie Bitter still fermenting away @ 12°. I've been distracted with other dramas this morning so didn't even check on the brew till midday. A really nice bready, yeasty aroma in fridge and ze krausen is even across the top of ze wort. All good here.

• Like 3

Just checked on my ESB. Pitched on Saturday 1.055 and now at 1.010 today which was the Beersmith calculated FG based on the low start. I bumped the temp up to 22 on Wednesday.

I’ll check it again tomorrow, and if it’s still the same I’ll kick it down to 1 and cold crash til next weekend and bottle it, just in time for me to fill a fermenter with the ROTM Kolsch, and maybe an AG Pale Ale in one of the others as well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That's Gold @RDT2.... luvyerwork ha ha!!!

And now - what was your grain bill - yeast - and hop list?!  ; )

Thanks BB

Grain bill was

5kg Munich 10l    89%

285g Vienna         5%

100g Carafa II.      1.8%

200g Melanoidin 3.5%

17g Simcoe 60min

25g Tettnang 5min

W34/70 yeast

24 litre batch with 75% efficiency 

OG 1050 FG 1013/1012

Just started cold crashing today will let you know how it goes when I taste it can’t wait!

i did forget the whirlfloc tablet though 🤬 should be right though.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

200g Melanoidin 3.5%

---

W34/70 yeast

---

i did forget the whirlfloc tablet though 🤬 should be right though.

Beaut @RDT2 RD - thank you!

Why Melanoidin?  what does it bring?  (not used it before so am interested)

Can you advise what Temp Protocol you did -- if you dont' mind...  Lager type protocol I guess with W34/70 (Gold Yeast ha ha!!!) ?

And as for Whirlfloc... mate.... I don't have a lot of water to waste... so don't do chill... just leave cool overnight with Fan to assist... Palmer somewhere writes indicating this is no biggie... not best practice but I really don't see any bad influences... keep the lid down tight on the SS Vessel...

But I ran out of the Wfloc Tabs I don't know how many beers ago... and have not noticed missing it... so I am not convinced it is essential.

Guess if you don't have that long floc time I use it might make more of a difference?

How long you cold crashing for?

Sounds like a very very nice beer is on the way RD Woohoo - let us know how it goes!!!