Coopers Community

Back to brewing... not a brew day I was expecting...

tja1980

Hey All,

Had quite a bit of time off from brewing picked up a Sly Red Rye IPA All Grain Kit from MJ, fired up the Robo Brew v3, all my temps during Mash:

Mash In: 20.6l @ 45c

20m @ 45c
75m @ 65c
10m @ 75c ** Mash Out

Batch Sparge 14l @ 75c

OG for the recipe 1.063 / My OG 1.043 @ 27c, what the hell...

It took ages to sparge, and it appeared as the malt pipe just retained water, on this version of the robo brew there is two screens, I'm thinking the smaller micron screen is just getting clogged with the grain bed, the water is cooling down before it has time to go through the bed.

Has anyone had any issues with this before?

Regards,

Tristan

IMG-20200510-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20200510-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20200510-WA0014.jpeg

IMG-20200510-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20200510-WA0018.jpeg

IMG-20200510-WA0021.jpeg

IMG-20200510-WA0023.jpeg

Hey @tja1980, I did The Kraken Black IPA from MJ a while ago.  I had an absolute disaster with the sparge.  In fact this brew turned out so bad I ended up pouring the bottles down the sink.  It was one of my early all grain brews, so some of the issues might have been on me.

My guess is that the grain crush was too fine.

I thought about getting one of  these machines but people always seem to have issues. I love BIAB it is so simple and never seem to have inconsistent efficiency  issues or blockages. 

• Like 1

The Kraken was 7.4kg of grain too.  That would have played a part in the sparge issue.  But with that experience I am not likely to buy another one of those kits. 

Most of my other all grain brews have been around half of that grain weight.  All of them I crushed myself.  I have had no sparge issues at all with them.  I have a 6.4kg brew coming up in a few weeks.  That will be a bit of a test.

Literally looks like a bread loaf, I'll check the SG tomorrow, like I said with a 20 point loss, I think i'll be dry hopping this I thought a day early I'm now thinking two days early.

Tristan 

Edited by tja1980