Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Added isinglass yesterday and polyclar today to the ale currently cold crashing. Will keg it either Friday or Saturday. 

Got a starter of 2278 spinning away until tomorrow night, then a couple more days to finish off and into the fridge for a day or two before pitching into the pilsner brewed on Saturday. Gotta finish cleaning the other fermenter in the meantime. Might make a falconer's flight pale ale on Saturday to go in to the other fermenter, that should be ready to keg about the same time as the pilsner. 

Once the pale ale and this cold crashing batch have run out, I'll be putting the porter on tap, and probably the next pale ale along with it. The pilsner can sit in its keg in one of the brew fridges until the pale ale runs out and I'll just run one fermenter til it goes on tap. I'll probably take a couple of months to drink the porter so I'll only need to replace one keg at a time for a while. 

• Like 1

Tossed an ale into the fermenter that has been sitting in the cube for a month. Just lager malt, Vienna and calypso and Vic secret hops at flameout. I am going for a crisp ale while trying out the calypso hops and looking forward to grabbing the slurry from the kolsch yeast.

I expect some esters as it calls for 2 packets of yeast. I think they will compliment the brew, we will see. 25l, only used 23l, 1.047 and 34ibus.

The OG tasted right, very malty and sweet, and clear, the time in the cube, in the garage cleared it right up. I wonder if that will carry over after dry hopping? I am not holding my breath.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Added isinglass yesterday and polyclar today to the ale currently cold crashing. Will keg it either Friday or Saturday. 

Ha ha @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey - asked a question on another thread - re Ales and FG and waiting to condition clear - think you have answered my question here...

Pretty much I guess if you want to clarify before kegging you probably need another week after hitting FG - is that the general idea (for Ales) ?

And what came out of my Bread Fermenter... looks the goods... Italian Rustic Rye... though the clever man who gave the tips said - must wait for an hour once out of the oven - so that is the pain right now ha ha.

Looks good... good enough to eat even!?!  😜

image.thumb.png.f9a449de2aebff3351aded4413faa8f4.png

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey - asked a question on another thread - re Ales and FG and waiting to condition clear - think you have answered my question here...

Pretty much I guess if you want to clarify before kegging you probably need another week after hitting FG - is that the general idea (for Ales) ?

I cold crash for a week with ales, usually I'll make sure both finings are added in time to allow a few days to settle out. This usually means I'll drop the temp one day, add isinglass the next day, and polyclar the day after. That gives it about 4-5 days to settle before kegging it. 

The pale ale currently on tap I missed the window for polyclar so it just had isinglass. Didn't want to delay kegging it just to add it.

• Like 1

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

I cold crash for a week with ales, usually I'll make sure both finings are added in time to allow a few days to settle out. This usually means I'll drop the temp one day, add isinglass the next day, and polyclar the day after. That gives it about 4-5 days to settle before kegging it. 

The pale ale currently on tap I missed the window for polyclar so it just had isinglass. Didn't want to delay kegging it just to add it.

Good stuff. Ok.  Thanks mate.

Might rack the Ale in the Coopers Plazzi off the yeast and into the SSteel FV where it can sit for a while to clarify and condition.

I had that Munich Lager off the yeast and the bit of escaped trub  away and into the SS for a good while... and without even having any Whirlfloc (ran out) or Isinglass it still came out lovely and clear which surprised me...

I'm trying for an amber ale using Family Secret, a partial of Amber malt and Ale malt and LDME.

I have EKG, Lemon Drop, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic on hand. Not looking for any big citrus hit so LD and citra are probably out. I'm thinking maybe mosaic for a short boil (15 mins?) and EKG for a dry hop.

Any thoughts about perhaps cascade/simcoe instead of either or both these?

The Sparkling Ale of sorts cruising at 18 Deg C... AG Brew Day on the weekend... US05 Starter overnight in shake-up jar... fired up within 28 hours nicely... smells profoundly tasty...

image.thumb.png.e06a8ffb38c8911f743869e25377de94.png

• Like 5

On 5/5/2020 at 5:09 PM, Norris! said:

@Popo

I love the 3c's pale ale from cheeky peaks. I actually based my House Pale ale off of it. Pretty much run with the base grain bill and sub out hops. I add acidulated malt to adjust the PH and mess with the water slightly and sometimes sub out the caramunich for carared and add some choc malt to get it a little more red. I think it is a very balanced beer, so I also up the dry hop.

Thanks for chiming in, man. I actually searched for your post on it from a little while back before I brewed it.

I put all the late hops in as whirlpool. Trying to sort out a couple of things before I resume cube hopping.

I'm on the hunt for a base to use so I'm glad to hear you are using it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Thanks for chiming in, man. I actually searched for your post on it from a little while back before I brewed it.

I put all the late hops in as whirlpool. Trying to sort out a couple of things before I resume cube hopping.

I'm on the hunt for a base to use so I'm glad to hear you are using it.

There is something about the Munich and base malt that I really like. The color, this recipe, gives on its own is nice too. It is just a really well made recipe that I stole for my own purposes, I am sure they won't mind and I am sure you will like the beer. I actually never used cascade, centennial and citra together before I tried this, so glad I did.

Hi Norris

On 5/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, Norris! said:

...I expect some esters as it calls for 2 packets of yeast. I think they will compliment the brew, we will see. 25l, only used 23l, 1.047 and 34ibus.

I'd be surprised if you get any noticeable esters from what is essentially an over-pitch.

Excluding higher ferment temperatures, increased ester production is normally associated with under-pitching (TTBOMK).

Good luck with the brew! 😉

Lusty.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Hi Norris

I'd be surprised if you get any noticeable esters from what is essentially an over-pitch.

Excluding higher ferment temperatures, increased ester production is normally associated with under-pitching (TTBOMK).

Good luck with the brew! 😉

Lusty.

I only used one pack of lallemand Koln yeast, that is an under pitch as it says 1g/l is recommended. I probably didn't make that clear in my original post, my bad.

I hope the brew is alright, cannot wait to try it. Thanks Mate.

Norris

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I only used one pack of lallemand Koln yeast, that is an under pitch as it says 1g/l is recommended. I probably didn't make that clear in my original post, my bad.

I hope the brew is alright, cannot wait to try it. Thanks Mate.

The interesting thing about the Kolsch strain(s) is that they are aimed at mimicking lager yeast fermentations providing similar crisp end malt flavours & presentation. I've done a few of these with the Wyeast 2565 & more recently with another variant & quite like the strain.

What temperature are you fermenting the brew at Norris? The lower the temp, the more the yeast will have to reproduce suitable numbers from it's base number to ferment out the brew. This may increase the likelihood of an increase in ester production due to increased levels of stress on the yeast producing sufficient numbers to complete the ferment.

The 2565 I've used ferments very well @ 15°C & I really like my Galaxy hopped Kolsch using it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

The interesting thing about the Kolsch strain(s) is that they are aimed at mimicking lager yeast fermentations providing similar crisp end malt flavours & presentation. I've done a few of these with the Wyeast 2565 & more recently with another variant & quite like the strain.

What temperature are you fermenting the brew at Norris? The lower the temp, the more the yeast will have to reproduce suitable numbers from it's base number to ferment out the brew. This may increase the likelihood of an increase in ester production due to increased levels of stress on the yeast producing sufficient numbers to complete the ferment.

The 2565 I've used ferments very well @ 15°C & I really like my Galaxy hopped Kolsch using it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I am fermenting this batch at 18c because of only one packet. It is taking awhile to get going. Some bubbles and the start of a krausen so it is on its way.

I don't know if I will get esters, I really just want it to ferment so I can scavenge the yeast while, hopefully, making something that is halfway decent.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

Looks BEAUTIFUL 

Cheers Benny - very much appreciated mate as you are the Master in the good-brew-n-food world    : )

It is a good thing the new bread methodology.  So.  I think I am going ok with Bier-Brot (beer-bread) but still not got Wurst and Prosciutto sorted... but am working on that as well slowly.

It would be so nice one day to be able to have the magnificent three at same time out on the one table together... all made under same roof.... Bier - Brot - Wurst       ; )

Just now, Ben 10 said:

Pretty easy, just need good equipment and ingredients

Cheers mate.  Have got the books you recommended... which are very good.... and slowly getting bits and pieces together... then need to gather up the courage for the first try ; )

It took me a while to gather up the courage for my first All Grainer ha ha 😋

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 5:09 PM, Norris! said:

@Popo

I love the 3c's pale ale from cheeky peaks. I actually based my House Pale ale off of it. Pretty much run with the base grain bill and sub out hops. I add acidulated malt to adjust the PH and mess with the water slightly and sometimes sub out the caramunich for carared and add some choc malt to get it a little more red. I think it is a very balanced beer, so I also up the dry hop.

Norris mate quick bit of help please - What is the Base Grain Bill please - what you base your House Pale on mate.... similar to CPB 3C Pale.... if you don't mind?

Keen to see what you think is a good reliable Base Grain Bill mate...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Yep, there's something with the sparkling ale, mine smells yummo as well.

Ha ha gotta stop meself from keepin' on openin' the brew fridge when I am randomly wandering past 😜

On 5/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

And what came out of my Bread Fermenter... looks the goods... Italian Rustic Rye... though the clever man who gave the tips said - must wait for an hour once out of the oven - so that is the pain right now ha ha.

Looks good... good enough to eat even!?!  😜

image.thumb.png.f9a449de2aebff3351aded4413faa8f4.png

Yum! That looks outstanding BB!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norris! said:

I only used one pack of lallemand Koln yeast,

Hey there @Norris! and @Beerlust I think I have the same Lallemand Yeast in the Fridge waiting to be used... so you Kölsch Brewers do you think I should make a starter then ?

I usually have slightly higher OGs too...  and am keen to get that clean crisp Koelsch type flavour.... plus I do have the techonology.. i.e. I do have a flask n stirrer etc so can make a starter... if pushed 😆 ha ha (usually just use the sneaky shake up some LDME+boiling water in the ol' preserving jar stooge then cool and pitch - goes overnight at ferment temp then pitch into the Wort the next day that seems to work a treat... well with US05 @18 deg C it does anyway). 

I did do the stir plate for my last high gravity lager which did seem to work very nicely....

• Like 1

I've got a Cooper's Pale Ale on the go, with 1kg enhancer and 500g powdered malt. I split the brew in two and split a pack of Safale US yeast. On day 4 I put 50g on Citrus in one and 50g Cascade in the other, in paper tea bags.

A Cooper Assie Pale Ale with 50g Saazer and 50g Cashmere checked in gave a great clean hoppy flavour after a week bottle conditioning, but after two weeks a lot of the flavour has faded. Anyone got a suggestion when to hop to get it to last a bit longer ?

Oh, I've been making sourdough bread too. Bored shitless otherwise 😉

double_brew_2.jpg

double_bre.jpg

hops.jpg

aussie_pale_ale.jpg

sourdough.jpg

• Like 5

Over two weeks into my first brew after a 5 year break. 

I wanted a relatively easy break in so put together a faux NEIPA. Was a put down on Anzac Day so decided 50% Galaxy 50% Nelson dry hop.

The recipe was:

1 X preachers Hefe Wheat

1 X Australian pale ale

1kg LDME

100 g Galaxy

100 g Nelson sauvin

2 X LALLEMAND New England

Made up to 22l yeast pitched at 18 C

1st dry hop day 2 20 g of each

2nd dry hop day 5 30 g of each

3rd dry hop going in keg 50 g of each.

Going in the keg tomorrow tasty so far. A little darker than expected. 

IMG_20200426_170730__01.jpg

• Like 2