Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Pitched the FF pale ale this arvo after getting back from golf this morning. It's in the fermenter that had the infected batch, which was soaked in perc followed by strong bleach, also replaced the tap, rinsed with hot tap water then splashed boiling water through it before using starsan right before putting the wort in. Hopefully it will be ok, if it also gets infected I'm chucking the FV and replacing it. 

It's also the first batch done in the old kegerator. I had the old fridge on chilling the yeast starter since Friday, and it took forever to drop in temperature. Switched on the kegerator while I prepared the FV and within an hour it had dropped from 26 to about 2 degrees. Much better. The only shit thing is that every time the inkbird turns it off it'll revert back to default settings. Not a problem during fermentation but it might struggle to keep the beer at zero during the cold crash if it's only getting to zero itself. Still, much better than a fridge that struggles to get cold at all. 

• Like 1

Well - this one is for @Beerlust Lusty - did a proper good job of a hop sock squeeze....

with sterilised rubber cooking gloves on... but it smelled so good... seemed sad to be taking those hops out... Phhoooooeee they smelled good!

o   Add 70g of Mosaic and Columbus 50-50

image.thumb.png.19f6340888f8dc835791fd2daa3de218.png

• Like 4

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah hopefully. I'll find out in a week or so when I check FG I guess. 

My Brew Father and I love Stainless Steel..... but Coops Plazzi has delivered some amazing brews.

It's nice to be part of a Community that is growing and making things.... not just going to shopping centres and buying things..... not taking anything away from the great work they have done

35 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I noticed a few are posting batch recipes with extract kits, do you boil it all pre dropping it in the fv or does it just get chucked in with the 1.7ltr can of what ever you choose?

Have not done it in a while... but previously - just used to have a nice clean FV... then gave it a splash sterilise with boiling water....

Then at time to add the fermentables... put in a reasonable amount of cool water..  then warmed up the Extract Tin and Liquid Conc tin.....like just put the tins into a earm temp bath.... that is the time to combine Kit n Kilo - here a LIQUID kilo -  and with rubber gloves on (sterilized) .... mixed up the Conc and the liq malt...

poured all together... and then with them ok.... bring to temperature

And then just used to sprinkle the Coops Yeast onto the wort volume.... seemed to work ok?

Edited by Bearded Burbler

26 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Have not done it in a while... but previously - just used to have a nice clean FV... then gave it a splash sterilise with boiling water....

Then at time to add the fermentables... put in a reasonable amount of cool water..  then warmed up the Extract Tin and Liquid Conc tin.....like just put the tins into a earm temp bath.... that is the time to combine Kit n Kilo - here a LIQUID kilo -  and with rubber gloves on (sterilized) .... mixed up the Conc and the liq malt...

poured all together... and then with them ok.... bring to temperature

And then just used to sprinkle the Coops Yeast onto the wort volume.... seemed to work ok?

Cheers, after reading all that I have decided it all sounds a bit to scientific for a "Dumb" tradie like me hahahaha, I'll stick with the kits on toucans for now and play with adding syrups like golden syrup of maple or malt or something....

• Like 1

I have a variant of the house pale ale, I called it an Ochre Ale which is pretty much my version of a west coast ale, in the fermenter with kveik slurry that is going pretty well, at 26 hours.

I am hoping to have this in the keg by saturday but we will see. If it drops to 1.018ish by Tuesday I will dry hop and see how it tastes on Friday with the hops pulled either Thursday or Friday. We will see. If I think I can clear it I will let it sit and cold crash until Wednesday, yeah I am kind of winging this batch.

It took a while to get going because the cube was in the garage at 12c when I tossed it in.  Now the blow off tube is blowing a lot into the cup of starsan and water, it sounds like a jackhammer when I open the door and smells very citrusy, which is how I like these.

The color isn't appealing right now but the taste and aroma is pretty much what I wanted and good bitterness.

Cheers and good brewing,

Norris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I noticed a few are posting batch recipes with extract kits, do you boil it all pre dropping it in the fv or does it just get chucked in with the 1.7ltr can of what ever you choose?

I have done both.  Added the Mexican Cerveza to a partial mash and boil with about 10 minutes before the end of the boil.  Also added the Australian Pale Ale can into the fermenter and added my cooled partial mash and boil liquid on top.  The second way was easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Cheers, after reading all that I have decided it all sounds a bit to scientific for a "Dumb" tradie like me hahahaha, I'll stick with the kits on toucans for now and play with adding syrups like golden syrup of maple or malt or something....

Mate all you need to do - is substitute out the Coopers BE Dry Product for the Coopers Liquid Malt... or just add both... and you will be astounded at how good the beer make is!

So... Get ONE Coops Real Ale Can/One IPA Can/One Dark Ale/One English Bitter Can....AND.  Get ONE  Coopers Light/Amber/dark Liquid Malt Can. Add half a kilo of BE (your choice in the Cupboard).  Mix up. Ferment. And then after the Primary Ferment - bottle w 2 Coops Lollies in a 750ml bottle.  Leave for 3 weeks at +20degC.

And you will be amazed how good it can be.

And in the future - just sub out one Coops Kit for whatever brew you want to make.....  and add Coops Liquid malt tin rather than the dry kilo - or as I would do - add both!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trying to find a way to make Denali hops work for me, so just put this on:

Cascades, Denali, & Cents Pale Ale

1.7kg Coopers APA kit
1.5kg Light LME
300gm dextrose
30gm Cents @ 10 min
30gm Cascades @ FO x 20 min hop stand
15gm Denali @ FO x 20 min hop stand
20gm Cascades DH x 2 days
10gm Denali DH x 2 days
10mL Clarity Ferm
23L RO water
Gen 2 WLP95 Burlington Ale yeast slurry

OG 1.047; FG 1.010; IBU33+; EBC 6.1; ABV 4.9% keg, 5.3% bottle; BU:GU >0.69.

Cascades hops worked well paired with Motueka in my last batch, so I am hoping it will pair well with Denali too. 

Another extract batch. I like the shorter brew day vs partial mashing. Extract is perfectly acceptable for quick lagers and pales ales; I don't put much crystal in my pale ales anyway. Think I will only bother with partials when I make English Bitters, Irish Reds, or stouts. 

Cheers,

Christina.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate all you need to do - is substitute out the Coopers BE Dry Product for the Coopers Liquid Malt... or just add both... and you will be astounded at how good the beer make is!

So... Get ONE Coops Real Ale Can/One IPA Can/One Dark Ale/One English Bitter Can....AND.  Get ONE  Coopers Light/Amber/dark Liquid Malt Can. Add half a kilo of BE (your choice in the Cupboard).  Mix up. Ferment. And then after the Primary Ferment - bottle w 2 Coops Lollies in a 750ml bottle.  Leave for 3 weeks at +20degC.

And you will be amazed how good it can be.

And in the future - just sub out one Coops Kit for whatever brew you want to make.....  and add Coops Liquid malt tin rather than the dry kilo - or as I would do - add both!

That sounds much less technical than the first answer, hahaha I might have a go at that.👍🏽

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have done both.  Added the Mexican Cerveza to a partial mash and boil with about 10 minutes before the end of the boil.  Also added the Australian Pale Ale can into the fermenter and added my cooled partial mash and boil liquid on top.  The second way was easier.

I find the first way easier. Boil, add any hops at the right time, remove hops, place pot in sink of water, add warm can(s), stir in LDME, wait 15 mins and pour into FV on top of 3l chilled water. Stir, add more chilled water, stir. At circa 22C - 25C pitch the yeast and whip the liquid to a froth. Wheel chair with FV on top into man cave and place FV in fridge.

I prefer to mix the cans into the wort while it's hot - much easier than trying to make sure all the congealed malt is off the bottom of the cold FV.

• Like 2

Aussie Bitter is resting at 18° and there it will stay till tomorrow night. As for the cold crash process coming up next, what temp am I aiming for in the FV?  I know this fridge has a thermostat problem and will freeze soft drink cans left in too long so I should able to get close to 1-2°

2 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Aussie Bitter is resting at 18° and there it will stay till tomorrow night. As for the cold crash process coming up next, what temp am I aiming for in the FV?  I know this fridge has a thermostat problem and will freeze soft drink cans left in too long so I should able to get close to 1-2°

Beer needs to be below zero to freeze so you could set it to zero without issue. 

If it's a true lager yeast I usually do a slow ramp down to 3 and leave it there, but if time is a concern then just drop it down there. I usually go from 18 to 12, then a couple of degrees per day til I get to 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Beer needs to be below zero to freeze so you could set it to zero without issue. 

If it's a true lager yeast I usually do a slow ramp down to 3 and leave it there, but if time is a concern then just drop it down there. I usually go from 18 to 12, then a couple of degrees per day til I get to 3.

Recipe called for W34/70 plus kit yeast so it's a combo job. Canadian blonde still listed as an ale yeast in the FAQ. Does that change the procedure? Also this will be my first bulk prime with about 100-120g of sugar dissolved in water and stirred in.

11 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yep it's as technical as chucking two tins of goop into a bucket. The mixing and pitching yeast is pretty much the same. 

There you go @Goldcoast Crow GCC - OVB has kindly provided a simpler description ; )

So instead of one tin of goop plus one pack of dry stuff - you do two tins of goop........ or as I used to.... two tins of goop plus one pack of dry ha ha!

One goop tin - the Coopers Beer Kit of choice

Other tin of goop - the Coopers Liquid malt tin of choice

Dry Stuff - the BE Series

Edited by Bearded Burbler