Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

That's not too bad. Mine gets it down quicker but not a lot quicker. Probably drops to 1 or 2 degrees over 24 hours from 18. The issue I had with mine was that it wouldn't go below about 8 degrees so I turfed it and now have the old kegerator as the second brew fridge. My first one is still going strong. 

Speaking of which, the pale ale has only dropped to about 1.034 SG in 3 days, which is pretty slow. I'm wondering if the inkbird is out of whack again and it's actually sitting closer to 16/17. Beer tastes and smells fine though which is good. 

• Like 2

I have removed the dry hops and took another reading, 1.008-1.009. Sample was nice, crisp and clean. So I decided to try to clear this batch but with all the hops coming in at whirlpool and dry hop, 220g of hops in those additions, oh yeah 7g FWH, I am not holding my breath. I will probably put this in the keg Sunday and have a taste on Monday and then leave it for the weekend.

Going forward I will set one of my inkbird settings for kveik fermentation with a 96 hour ferment and a 96 hour cold crash, not that I will do the CC on all batches. Probably dry hop at 48 hours or a little after, when it is close to finished.

Good brewing everyone

Norris

• Like 1

Busy morning all round. Bulk primed the bitter with 140g of sugar in 250ml of water and gently stirred it in for a minute. Didn't look to be disturbing the trub much so I gave it a bit longer. Pulled the FV out of the fridge with brew at 4.5° so I let it sit in bottling position and had a coffee while spraying the PET bottles and caps with no rinse sanitiser. Bottled up 27 Cooper's PET bottles as these will be a better fit in the bar fridge for lagering. They've all gone into the spa tub at 21° for the first week and see how they firm up.

Just hope I got the sugar rate right....🤞

Smashing out a couple of dark ales next, FV is washed and steaming up.

• Like 3

Mixed and pitched. Went cautious with the hot water and hit pitching temp 22° spot on. Getting good at this game. Poured out the old sparkling of the yeast, added some wort, shake n stir.

SG came in a bit light @ 1.038 but it's hard to read with the darker wort

I was wondering looking at the graph in the designer, what type of dry hop could I do to lean the brew towards the hoppy side....not crazy hops, just a bit?

image.png

Just kegged my Stone & Wood Clone, whacked another one straight in to ferment.

Mangrove Jacks Irish Red Ale, Amber liquid malt, East Kent Goldings Dry Hop 20g ( after ferment ) M36 Liberty Bell Yeast.

Fermenting @ 19 degrees 

‘Have done this one before and it was bloooooooody  beautiful, be good to have on tap with winter coming. 
cheers RD44 🍺🍺

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Just kegged my Stone & Wood Clone, whacked another one straight in to ferment.

Mangrove Jacks Irish Red Ale, Amber liquid malt, East Kent Goldings Dry Hop 20g ( after ferment ) M36 Liberty Bell Yeast.

Fermenting @ 19 degrees 

‘Have done this one before and it was bloooooooody  beautiful, be good to have on tap with winter coming. 
cheers RD44 🍺🍺

Mate your brewing production is going through the roof ha ha !?! 😝

Am hoping to brew on the weekend and do a direct pitch onto the yeast cake of last one or if not then bring across the yeast... so am trying to keep up with you ha ha ; )

Cheers and good brewing Red. BB

• Haha 1

Gotta check the SG on the pilsner on the weekend, I'm guessing it's already finished though so just confirmation really, before the ramp down to lagering begins. Will also check the pale ale and see what it's doing. At this stage it looks like they'll both be ready to keg at about the same time, perhaps the ale first. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, The Captain!! said:

Got a Kveik pale/ipa with cashmere hops. 
Started yesterday at 25 and raised to 35 over 12 hours in the FV, very close to finishing today. 
Will dry hop with vic secret 160g and cold crash Thursday, fast carb Friday for a beer Sat. 

Well, guess who has a stuck fermentation. 
Been sitting at 1.020 for three days now. 
This is the only one I’ve ever had and it’s with a Kveik yeast ha ha ha ha WTH. 
punched another pack at it and see what happens over night.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Well, guess who has a stuck fermentation. 
Been sitting at 1.020 for three days now. 
This is the only one I’ve ever had and it’s with a Kveik yeast ha ha ha ha WTH. 
punched another pack at it and see what happens over night.  

What was the predicted FG, mash and mash out temperatures?

On 5/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, Journeyman said:

This has just gone into the FV. Called it 'Citrus IPA' because Amarillo says 'orange' flavours and there's lemon drop. All hops done as a tea and added before the yeast. I forgot to calc in the tea so it came in a bit above 20L but still got 1.078 for OG. 

The LME is actually a Woolies Draught can so I didn't bother trying to get IBU's up - figure the draught can has some bittering in it that isn't registered when I call it Light Malt. The excess OG could also be from there - i forgot to change the amount to 1.7 after experimenting with the figures re LME. Changing the SS to 1.7 gives OG of 1.075, so closer to actual.
image.png.6662166be16c4f77066c5b305af71e0c.png

This looks like it could be done - SG = 1.015 in fresh sample. Will check again tomorrow but looks like an 8.4 ABV. Can definitely taste a citrus taste, both in the mouth and after taste. If it conditions like it tastes it might gonna be a VERY nice beer.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 2:25 PM, Journeyman said:

Have a bit of a wait for this one. I'm doing a mash and after the over-the-top last mash I did (as far as OG goes) I'm repeating the process to see if it happens again.  But everything is ready to rock & roll in about an hour.

This is my 1st attempt at a Fixation brew. Citra and Mosaic to give some bittering then the rest as a tea. No sugar in this one as if it works, I don't want SWMBO liking it. 😄 

Crystal has been steeped overnight and then drained and the grains are in with the Ale and oats.

image.png.18779af7edf4321141711d4f531ea0aa.png

This might have a days or so to go with SG = 1.019 in a fresh sample. Taste is a little stronger than I recall from actual Fixation but conditioning should mellow it. If it goes as I think it will it could be close to an actual Fixation - and if it does it will be a bloody good attempt at duplicating what Byron Bay brewers achieved. 😄

I just tasted this again - previous taste was from the old sample that's been sitting beside the FV. I wanted to check my 3rd FV but have only 2 hydros. This taste was much smoother than the old sample one. Quite impressed with how this is going.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Single infusion no mash out. 
65c mash. Would have expected this to get to 1.010

1DF150EB-A9D4-4598-ABBA-AC5B4483FD31.jpeg

Yep i would have expected the same. Is it possible your mash temperature was a lot higher than 65 and you produced more dextrin than normal?

54 minutes ago, Titan said:

Yep i would have expected the same. Is it possible your mash temperature was a lot higher than 65 and you produced more dextrin than normal?

Could be. I may need to check my thermometer. Haven’t had an issue till now though

Just turned on CC for both Citrus IPA and my Fixation attempt. I could have done it yesterday but wanted to give them some more time at 21° for cleanup. Both went in FV's on 17th so 7 days including the rest is going well. Finals at 1.019 (Fixation - 6.7%) and 1.013 (Citrus - 8.3%)

Sitting in the cupboard waiting for CC space is the Dark Old Ale, OG = 1.066, FG (so far) = 1.014, 6.9%

Unless a keg blows in the next couple of days I'm going to have all 4 taps occupied. 😄 

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Latest Dark Ale is travelling along nicely. Removed the collar and took a reading at 1.011. Looks and tastes fine. Only adding half the tin of dark malt extract as per recipe has put the color spot on with the commercial version. In the meantime the bottle tree is out of control, I really need to get this DA done and put to bed. The sparkling ale has proved very popular and stocks are getting very low on all fronts

Both batches are at FG now. Pilsner reached 1.010 from a 1.050 OG, the FF pale ale reached 1.012 from 1.048. The pilsner has begun its drop down to lagering temps, will drop it a little bit today to just under 10. Tomorrow I'll begin cold crashing the pale ale, and once kegged it will go in with the porter. The pilsner will sit in its keg in a brew fridge for some extra lagering until the pale ale runs out. I expect the porter will probably take a couple of months to drink so only one keg will be changed out at a time, meaning I can probably drop off the production a little until it gets near empty. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

Xpa i put down on Sunday is coming along nicely. Disregard the temperature swing as its not a true reflection of fermentation temperature. I have just added a heat belt dangled in the freezer to try and smooth out the temperature swing in the Plaato airlock. When the activity drops to around 100 bpm i will add the dry hops.

Screenshot_20200526-061538_PLAATO.jpg

• Like 1

After building the drinking stocks up and the cooler weather is upon us, it was time to make lager again.
Tin of Coopers Euro Lager, tin of liquid light malt, cup of dextrose and a steeped addition of Cluster hops because they're my new love.
Yeast pitched at 20C but ferment set at 14C.
I should have made two batches because of the extra time it takes to ferment but I wasn't sure I'd have 60 empty longnecks available when bottling day arrives in 2 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I should have made two batches because of the extra time it takes to ferment but I wasn't sure I'd have 60 empty longnecks available when bottling day arrives in 2 weeks.

Drink faster? 😄 Share with friends? 😄

• Like 1