Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Kegged the latest beer and had a clear fermenter so made up the Belgian Chocolate stout in today with some changes:

1. Subbed 2x Lallemand Abbaye (never used it) for the s-33 - I hear people are having issues with it getting stuck and wanted some more fruity dubbelish esters. Pitched at 20C and Wrapped it up with sleeping bag so will let it free rise. I am Interested to see  how it goes and if it tries to escape the fermenter like trappist yeasts.
  2. Using vanilla extract and that will go in at kegging

The gravity sample tastes delicious. I am thinking I will use the yeast cake for a batch of Russian Imperial Stout after. I've never one and I am interested to see what the fuss is about. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Might be a bit sweet with that yeast and a high chloride level in the water. I used it once or twice in my red ale and it was too sweet for me. Different beer I know, but normally it's well balanced. 

I'm pushing 40IBU so hopefully it will be okay. Going for a kind of NEIPA flavour profile, so slightly sweeter will be okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilboBaggins said:

I'm pushing 40IBU so hopefully it will be okay. Going for a kind of NEIPA flavour profile, so slightly sweeter will be okay.

Fair enough. Mine was about 37/38 IBUs, tasted like bloody toffee water compared to usual. The hops were too muted by the chloride level and the yeast as well. It's not a hoppy beer but that particular batch almost tasted like it had none in it. I didn't use that strain again, for some reason it didn't ferment out as much as it is supposed to, which also would have contributed to the excessive sweetness. Maybe if it gets down to the target FG it won't be as pronounced. Hope it turns out for you mate.

• Like 1

I've used 1318 in an ESB and 2 IPAs so far. The IPAs have been lovely, but the ESB was outstanding! It only finished a couple points higher than predicted in my experiences and fermented out really quickly.

This starter was looking a bit tired and lazy though, so the viability of this sample isn't as good as previous ones. I may end up with attenuation issues, so will have to see how I go.

I think I used it in an ESB too but it was a while ago now. The recipe itself probably lent itself to being a little sweet, but I just found that yeast accentuated it too much for my tastes and it was unbalanced. I started using 1469 instead which does promote a bit of maltiness but is also drier, so the beers are much more balanced. 

• Like 2

My XPA and English IPA (or American 😄 ) went on to CC yesterday about 5pm - aided by a 0° night they are down to CC temp early this AM - 7 days and 6 days respectively. XPA FG = 1.011 and IPA FG = 1.012. So about 7.1% for the XPA and 6.6% for the IPA.

Samples tasted great and fairly clear even before CC and finings.

• Like 1

Early day 4 with Sparkling Ale No. 2. SG is down to 1.014 from OG of 1.051 so ye olde CCY is doing it's thing nicely. Eldest lad's 21st on Friday so I'm hoping to have the fridge free for party drinks then start a new lager Saturday

21 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Frankenstein Brew.

I wanted to do the tri-can stout @Ben 10 mentioned but I did say I was going to do an out of date can brew. Everything listed expired Sep & Nov 2019 except the English bitter, that expired a month ago. Hops over 18 months old.

I think I used the EB yeast in 2018 on a porter toucan. OG read 1.090 but it was just syrupy at bottom of FV. Give it a day or two see what occurs

Gravity 1.080 today

Screenshot_20200608-170041_BrewTracker.jpg

Edited by JoeB7
missed something
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

image.png.cc4c3eb6bd7f46f66fe26d4e5c3a29f2.png

Unfortunate Grav reading 😆
My dog can't can't believe you did this either😜 (She's asking "You fuggin' serious Burbler"?)

20200608_141803.jpg

Edited by JoeB7
spelling
  • Haha 3

IMG_20200610_205154-02.thumb.jpeg.9ef387f55475e2024b9024a9bc96d947.jpeg

Gravity sample from Day 3 of the Belgian Chocolate stout using Lallemand Abbaye. I ended up taking the sleeping bag away because heating up quicker than I would like. Getting lots of banana & pear coming out of the spunding valve.

Geez this yeast is taking no prisoners and has dropped the from 1061 to 1022. I think it be at FG by then end of tomorrow. I will probably transfer it to the keg next week at this rate. Going to naturally carbonate it - mostly to stop me from drinking it right away (I think the flavours will need some melding time). The sample is a little reminiscent of Chimay blue.  Great if you like Belgian's but probably offensive for some.

• Like 4

This is just out of my (small) fermenter ha ha - 18 hours with temp control - then second rise for 2 more - then a bit of time in the oven and out ; )

Looking forward to this crusty Rustic Rye shortly.... struggling to do the mandatory hour wait : |

image.png.842888c7516c546833cdf220e4dd692c.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 3

Coopers Schooner

Removed 97g* of dry hops out of my fermenter tonight.  Gave them the Lusty Squeeze for extra fruitiness.  Smelled wonderful.  Cascade, Columbus and Chinook.  This'll be a nice hoppy pale ale.  

* I ended up increasing the dry hop because I had a little bit more Cascade left than I thought, plenty of Columbus and plenty of Chinook.  I still kept them close to 1:1:1.

• Like 2

I have my first ever home brewed stout in the FV atm. Fermentation has noticeably slowed so I took a gravity reading late today. It's about 2-3 points above predicted FG. The 2 x Coopers kit yeast has made short work of the 1.060 OG wort. If it remains steady for the next 2 days I may well keg it with no fear of leftover sugars. IanH's spreadsheet isn't really calibrated for oat grain so the extra gravity is almost expected from my end, & welcomed in a beer like this. I'm actually hoping it doesn't drop any further over the next couple of days & can keg it at this FG.

Fingers crossed.

Lusty.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

It's about 2-3 points above predicted FG

Where is your SG resting at Lusty?

Good luck with it mate - sounds good.

I am just over 1020 so am taking my Schwarzbier up for a gentle rise to do the Di-Acetyl Rest...

41 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Schooner

Removed 97g* of dry hops out of my fermenter tonight.  Gave them the Lusty Squeeze for extra fruitiness.  Smelled wonderful. 

Yes indeed it does. Imagine how much wonderful hop flavour & aroma you just added back into your brew by doing this.

It's a no-brainer process for me.

Best of luck with the brew Shamus. Great hop combo & should turn out terrific!

Lusty.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Where is your SG resting at Lusty?

Approx. 1.016 atm. Expected is approx. 1.013-14 but with some doubt over the quick oats contribution to remaining gravity.

3 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...I am just over 1020 so am taking my Schwarzbier up for a gentle rise to do the Di-Acetyl Rest...

Good timing. 👍

With diacetyl rest timing, in Otto man we trust. 😉

Just remember if any unwanted diacetyl presents at bottling, still bottle & make sure they are stored at & above 18°C during the carbonation phase as this too will remove any unwanted diacetyl.

Best of luck with this brew.

Lusty.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Best of luck with the brew Shamus. Great hop combo & should turn out terrific!

Thanks Lusty

All the best with the Stout you have going.  I am amazed that a brewer with your experience has not done a stout before, especially when you seem to enjoy them.  Some of your Porters and dark beers must have come close.

I have got three on tap at the moment.  Mexican Stout, Promising Ale and Island Toasted Coconut Porter.  The Porter is a clear winner.  It was some of your campaigning of this recipe that kept it on my agenda.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 2