Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Amber Ale w the Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt + Munich + Med X is looking..... well.... Amber I guess ; )

image.png.65bacea47777b253d54ce8079c1f4907.png

Is a nice colour - will be interesting to see how it turns out in the glass... will be going into cold slide-n-crash and condition for a week and then keg after that ; )

• Like 7

The Stouty-Schwarzbier is looking.... well.... Stouty-Schwarz I guess?  😋          (as you wise Brewers know Schwarz is Black in the language of Deutschland)

Maybe not quite as black as prior Stouty beers due to pulling back a bit on the load of Roasted Barley... in favour of more of a chocolatey thing... see how we go at the time of slurping : )

image.thumb.png.814b001b75ee1f7d2fe394ac1a4ed1ce.png

Brew has done its time in the calm-n-flocc Chilly Bin and will hopefully slip into a wet dark Keg Dreamland in a cuppla daze with its friends Mr and Mrs Nitro.........   ; )

Note this Brewer is back to using the Coopers Plazzi hydro tubulus as he successfully smashed all his fancy borosilicate glass ones : (

Ah - and the bottle in the pic is a NSW Bottle Company 1967 version... will clean it up eventually... unearthed when the new septic trench was dug ; )

Shame they did not dig up a few Stainless Steel kegs for me instead?!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Amber Ale w the Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt + Munich + Med X is looking..... well.... Amber I guess ; )

image.png.65bacea47777b253d54ce8079c1f4907.png

Is a nice colour - will be interesting to see how it turns out in the glass... will be going into cold slide-n-crash and condition for a week and then keg after that ; )

Starting to brown off again or is that just frost burn on the fields ?

6 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Starting to brown off again or is that just frost burn on the fields ? 

Bit of both Greeny to be honest... it really dried down again there for a bit... recently now a bit more rain... and there have been a few frosty boys too. 

My Rhubarbler seems to like it : )

Think we should be having a reasonable wet winter though by my clever mates in the BoM who have got a lot of the recent drought-then drought breaking rain pattern bang on.  Me mate up the road (six hours) has planted the whole farm and am hoping he goes ok - first crop in two years it'll be for him.

• Like 1

Vienna Lager has been at 1.016 for three days now.  I increased the temperature to 20°C for the last day, but it did not move.  Very surprised by this FG, I expected at least 1.010.  Mashed at 65°C, so expected higher fermentability.  Using W-34/70 yeast which usually does a good job.  The two unusual things with the mash were the pH was very low @4.8 or so (measured with colour strips, so not sure about accuracy).  I also went awol during the last part of the mash.  The Grainfather automation would have started to heat the mash, after the 75°C mash out, to 90°C or so.  Maybe these issues have something to do with the higher than expected FG.

I have started the temperature ramp down for the cold crash.  17°C this morning, 14°C tonight and 11°C tomorrow morning, etc.

• Like 2

I dry hopped the Three C’s Pale Ale on Friday after upping the temp to 20 on Thursday for it to finish off. 30g centennial, 30g cascade and 20 of citra. 

Ducked away for a couple of days so I’ll pull the dry hop when I get back and set it to cold crash when I get home.

Gravity was 1.014 when I tested it Thursday, expected finish was 1.011 so if it gets there we’ll be well happy.

19l keg sitting there waiting for it so probably keg it Friday or Saturday, for brew day next Sunday. Still tossing up what I’m going to do next, but thinking of something like a dark mild.

• Like 4

So I have gone and got myself a can of coopers Apa, a can of real ale, a can of light malt extract, a pack of be2 and a galaxy hop sachet.....

as I have two 11ltr fv, I was thinking of toucanning as follows.

apa, 1/2 malt, 1/2 be2 and galaxy dry hop at 4 days in one

and

real ale, 1/2 malt and 1/2 be2 in the other.....

What do the brains trust think?

first time using additives like hops, be2 and liquid malt

@Goldcoast Crow, this will get you two beers around 8.5%ABV.  Pretty high for my liking.  However, the high ABV might be balanced by the concentrated bitterness from doing a whole 1.7kg hopped can in a small batch size.

You could drop the LME and the BE2 to get 5% brews, but they will seem more bitter.

What you like to drink should be your guide.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

@Goldcoast Crow, this will get you two beers around 8.5%ABV.  Pretty high for my liking.  However, the high ABV might be balanced by the concentrated bitterness from doing a whole 1.7kg hopped can in a small batch size.

You could drop the LME and the BE2 to get 5% brews, but they will seem more bitter.

What you like to drink should be your guide.

Actually, with out realising that before hand, that's exactly what it may turn out like, the apa is starting gravity of 1084 and the real ale is 1070.... hopefully the kit yeast is enough to eat thru it all, a bit scared I have botched it..... was hoping for about 6.5abv but it's looking between 8 and 9 for both🤷🏽‍♂️🙊🤔😳😳😳

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Actually, with out realising that before hand, that's exactly what it may turn out like, the apa is starting gravity of 1084 and the real ale is 1070.... hopefully the kit yeast is enough to eat thru it all, a bit scared I have botched it..... was hoping for about 6.5abv but it's looking between 8 and 9 for both🤷🏽‍♂️🙊🤔😳😳😳

You should be okay.  Although the ABV is higher, the yeast still only has to get through roughly a kit and kilo worth of fermentables.  The 7g Coopers yeast sachets, while being a bit light on, will still cope with that "standard" amount of fermentables. 

With the standard kit sizes, your OG's should have been pretty much the same.  Although, halving a can of liquid malt can be like herding cats.  There might not be exactly 0.75kg of liquid malt in each batch.

I like your idea of the Galaxy in the APA brew.  It also goes well with the Real Ale too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's brews - 2 x Real Ales in the fridge. Started at 10:30 (except for heating 5L water in the brew pot)  and put last stuff away at 12:10 - not bad I thought for 2 x 20L brews. 😄

These are the brews to try out force carb versus natural carb so they are as identical as I could make them. 25g mosaic x 10 min boil & 25g cascade tea. Nottingham pitched at ~30° but 4L cool water added straight after - my boo-boo - temp was 23° by the time they made the fridge.

Strangely they came in at different OG - 1 @ 1.072 and the other at 1.067. Not sure why - might have been slightly less LDME in Coopers FV and that one was also measured with the Coopers hydro - additive errors perhaps? So I'm thinking the Coopers FV will be the natural carb brew - the sugar will boost it up to the other brew.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Very surprised by this FG

Hey there Shamus - mate the SG is a little on the high side - and not what we'd expect....  but honestly I reckon u r gunna end up with a ripper brew.

I posted that thing about an Ur Bock Helles a wee while back... that sucker levelled out at 1020.... I was concerned and gave it plenty of time... but it started out a fat 1067... was with W34/70...

Ended up being a gold brew... full bodied... and lovely creamy texture in the head...

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The 7g Coopers yeast sachets, while being a bit light on, will still cope with that "standard" amount of fermentables. 

@Goldcoast Crow GCC am with Shamus on this one - and hopefully if you have got fermentation action - fluffy top kräusen - am thinking you should be ok tho is a fairly stiff old Original Gravity to start with mate ; )           Mate live and learn hey.... if the brew is off and running - should be good - and hopefully the yeasties can chew their way through the big heap of fermentables quite nicely.... but don't slurp too many of those brews once done and then go off driving down town hey : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

checked it out after around 24 hrs. Was sitting around 19c which is a bit on the cool side, but there was definately Krausen and condensation on the top of the fv. I will keep checking daily to make sure it is still doing its thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Goldcoast Crow said:
22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

checked it out after around 24 hrs. Was sitting around 19c which is a bit on the cool side, but there was definately Krausen and condensation on the top of the fv. I will keep checking daily to make sure it is still doing its thing.

Don't know what happened there, the quote thingy stuffed up

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Day 2 of my "Miscalculated" brews, checked this arvo, cabinet sitting at around the 18/19c and the Krausen on the Apa (in my coopers see thru fv) is still solid at around 10-15mm, gd condensation and large bubble action throughout the Krausen. My Real Ale which is in a non transparent malt n shovel fv, has the little air lock at the top, condensation is forming so I'm guessing that means it's going ok.🤞🏿🤞🏿🤞🏿🤞🏿

• Like 2

Got another KB lager on the go. Pitched sunday morning at 8c with a 3L starter of WLP 838 Southern German Lager. 1.047 OG fermenting at 10c and tested this morning and its at 1.016. 4 points away after 3 full days. Never have i ever seen a lager yeast work so quick. I didn't even over pitch this one. Have set the temp at 18c for the d rest.

• Like 4

I wanted to make a hazy something or other. Is it a pale? Is it a NEIPA? Maybe a NEIPA in spirit. A fauxNeipa ? Either way she’s turbid. Mouth feel is soft as. 

pilsner malt

wheat 

oats. 

a tiny bit of warrior to get the early IBU Up followed by mosaic, citra and vic secret in the whirl pool. Going to dry hop with 50g of each also. 

yeasty is the kviek ospaug. 

DA9F61BD-E691-4A09-BCA7-908E3EAA38A5.jpeg

• Like 4

Bit of progress today... Choc kegged... so nothing more in that SS FV.... a tiny bit of yeast as it was racked out of my Coopers Plazzi... ends up being pretty bllllllardy clean that way:

image.png.09c174602934776f6700ddcf460b6236.png

And now the Amber Ale has made its way into the Brew Fridge for some Chillin' Time - couldn't be phaaaarqued to sterilise the SS FV and transfer the Amber out of Coops Plazzi...

think it will be fine to have a little bit of chill time in the original FV...  had been doing the ongoing transfer thing but production has slowed as I have 5 kegs with brew and one FV near done (below)... and for the time being six will have to be enough.

image.thumb.png.7664448852de1caa78807dc94b0180e9.png

Good Brewing yee Brewing Maestros!  😝

• Like 3