Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

7 hours ago, Clinto73 said:

Many Thanks Norris for the encouragement man !

You know got me thinking to dry hop some cascade in my cider in a few days..

Cheers

Clint 

Cascade worked a treat for me.......

also threw 2 tins of passion fruit pulp in with the brew.

23-4 l of apple juice (think I used berri originally)

2 tins of pulp

1 kg dex

cider yeast

dry hopped on day 7 with 30g cascade (went up to 60g after the first batch)

bottled day 14

killer!

going to drop the Nelson in this one for a trail.

• Like 3

Just tested the Draught at 1.016. Beer Designer says it should ferment down to 1.012 so it's got a bit more to go yet but it's only day 6. The fresh draught recipe doesn't ask for it but I was going to do a dry hop of 12g Cascade anyway. @King Ruddagerrecommends 5 days before bottling so maybe Monday ish, dunno, havent done one before?

Got this one in the other night

CSM IPA (Partial Long and Shoddy!!)

Brewed 18/6/20

Coopers Lager can
0.75kg LDME
0.25kg Wheat DME
1.5kg Maris Otter ( 7L mash in oven set to 66degC for 120mins, 2L sparge, 35min boil)
0.2kg Carmunich II 
0.4kg white sugar

HOPS
25g Citra and Simcoe 10mins
25g Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic 5 mins 
Allowed to cool for 10 mins before actively cooling with iced water

From Maris Otter mash, got 4.8L into FV at 1.058, this gives me 58% brew house efficiency.
Can improve efficiency by using a better strainer.
Only used a 10cm sieve from Coles..
Or get a proper grain bag.

US05 1.5L starter
IBUs 51
OG 1.058
FG 1.013
Keg 5.9%
Bottle 6.3%

Cheers legends

James

• Like 4

3 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Just tested the Draught at 1.016. Beer Designer says it should ferment down to 1.012 so it's got a bit more to go yet but it's only day 6. The fresh draught recipe doesn't ask for it but I was going to do a dry hop of 12g Cascade anyway. @King Ruddagerrecommends 5 days before bottling so maybe Monday ish, dunno, havent done one before?

I’m an idiot I’d be dry hopping that at 40-120g ha ha ha nah. Probably around the 40-50g mark. 
I wouldn’t get anything out of 12g

• Like 1

18 hours ago, not so newb now said:

Cascade worked a treat for me.......

also threw 2 tins of passion fruit pulp in with the brew.

23-4 l of apple juice (think I used berri originally)

2 tins of pulp

1 kg dex

cider yeast

dry hopped on day 7 with 30g cascade (went up to 60g after the first batch)

bottled day 14

killer!

going to drop the Nelson in this one for a trail.

Thats a terrific sounding brew there NSNB ! How did the passionfruit flavour come out in the brew ?

How long in the bottle did you leave it before tastings ? I hear around 3 months before the cider gets fully carbed up.

I have only about 20g or so of cascade so going to dry hop tomorrow me thinks

Cheers 

Clint

Fresh Draught is done at 1.012. Tasted the first sample then took a freshy to cross check the SG. Chuxed 20g cascade hops in this morning and start bringing up the temp to 18° for a diacetyl rest. Pretty much took a fresh chux, put the hop pellets in the middle and tied a knot. I snapped on a new pair of latex gloves for this gig, then removed the kraussen collar and lid, dropped in the hops and refitted the lid. Really hoping this all turns out OK as the beer tasted really good, even at 12 deg.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Batch itself was the target 21 litres, so will obviously get a full keg pretty easily. 

Do you keep the remnants in another keg and then blend up a leftover keg Kelsey?   Guess one has to keep it all sterile and in an anoxic environment...

I try to either bottle or do something with the valuable brew....

50 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Do you keep the remnants in another keg and then blend up a leftover keg Kelsey?   Guess one has to keep it all sterile and in an anoxic environment...

I try to either bottle or do something with the valuable brew....

No, not enough left after SG samples and pouring a couple of glasses on kegging day to clear the tap area of crap to be worth bothering, which is why I dropped to 21 litre batches in the first place. I used to do it with 25 litre batches though.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:58 AM, Clinto73 said:

Thats a terrific sounding brew there NSNB ! How did the passionfruit flavour come out in the brew ?

How long in the bottle did you leave it before tastings ? I hear around 3 months before the cider gets fully carbed up.

I have only about 20g or so of cascade so going to dry hop tomorrow me thinks

Cheers 

Clint

Does come through nicely, ok at 2 weeks but definitely better the longer you leave it, three months would be great......

don’t like em sweet and this one comes out almost like a sav Blanc 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:18 PM, James Lao said:

Got this one in the other night

CSM IPA (Partial Long and Shoddy!!)

Brewed 18/6/20

Coopers Lager can
0.75kg LDME
0.25kg Wheat DME
1.5kg Maris Otter ( 7L mash in oven set to 66degC for 120mins, 2L sparge, 35min boil)
0.2kg Carmunich II 
0.4kg white sugar

HOPS
25g Citra and Simcoe 10mins
25g Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic 5 mins 
Allowed to cool for 10 mins before actively cooling with iced water

From Maris Otter mash, got 4.8L into FV at 1.058, this gives me 58% brew house efficiency.
Can improve efficiency by using a better strainer.
Only used a 10cm sieve from Coles..
Or get a proper grain bag.

US05 1.5L starter
IBUs 51
OG 1.058
FG 1.013
Keg 5.9%
Bottle 6.3%

Cheers legends

James

Sounds like a delicious beer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Saw in another post @Beerlust pulls the dry hop bag prior to cold crash so its out. Shame the wet hops look like a cow patty as the aroma was incredible.

I only leave my dry hops in for three days now. I had some beers with a bit of a grassy taste when I left them longer. No issue since my three day regime.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

link to full recipe

Aaaah that was that beauty with your lovely photo documentary thanks Shamus! 

But I am somewhat saddened and surprised that @Beerlust Lusty has not lambasted you for your use of the splendid Hop we all have come to know and love named......... Magnum?!  Maybe Lusty has been away and "off-site" for a while or has finally realised that Magnum is a beneficial hop after all?

image.png.0dd0e3416f9501cb05380086c3971356.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Aaaah that was that beauty with your lovely photo documentary thanks Shamus! 

But I am somewhat saddened and surprised that @Beerlust Lusty has not lambasted you for your use of the splendid Hop we all have come to know and love named......... Magnum?!  Maybe Lusty has been away and "off-site" for a while or has finally realised that Magnum is a beneficial hop after all?

image.png.0dd0e3416f9501cb05380086c3971356.png

I’ve heard of the Tom Selleck IPA, drank it in the US 2 yrs ago 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...But I am somewhat saddened and surprised that @Beerlust Lusty has not lambasted you for your use of the splendid Hop we all have come to know and love named......... Magnum?!

The ten words you have placed between "splendid" & "Magnum" is not a proper representation of the true distance between those two words. It is much further.

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

...Maybe Lusty has been away and "off-site" for a while or has finally realised that Magnum is a beneficial hop after all?

Roll every last piece of it you have into a ball & position it somewhere near where you like to sit & have a drink. It'll keep the flies away from your beer. 

Lusty.

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2020 at 8:19 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Vienna Lager was at 1.021 this morning. Not quite just under 1.020, so I upped the temperature to 15C. Tonight it was 1.018 so up to 18C for the diacetyl rest for two days or until SG is stable.

It would have been fine to just go straight to 18. Waiting for it to drop 3 points isn't gonna make a difference to the flavour, and it likely would have taken most of the day to get to 15 anyway. The key is to let it come up on its own without an external heat source. If it doesn't get up in a day then apply heat.

I usually let mine begin to rise in the low 1.020s.

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2