Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 6/30/2020 at 9:30 PM, Goldcoast Crow said:

has the little air lock at the top, condensation is forming so I'm guessing that means it's going ok

... should really eventually be bubbling... I think... don't know what your airlock looks like but most do burble a bit ha ha!?!

One thing @Otto Von Blotto Otto Man did provide some thoughts on a while back I remember - I was just coming back into the brewing - that these sealed airlocks are more trouble than they are worth ha ha as if you don't get a perfect bllllloooooooooody seal then you spend yer time worried shittttless whether the brew is off and running or not ha ha.... which the Coops Plazzi don't have... is that right Kelsey?

I got a bit of both... hopefully your sealed boy is going well in the meantime...

Brown Cow Ale in FV 

1 x Coopers Dark Ale + 1 x Coopers Amber Malt Extract ( Lusty's Idea )

Plus 500g BE 2 + 250g Crystal Malt (steeped for 30mins ) + 15g Saaz hops (my idea ) boiled for 15 mins 

Goldings finishing hops added to FV , 21 L , 21 C , yeast: SO4 plus small packet (5g) Mr Beer Bewitched Ale yeast. OG 1051

Day 2 and it's going off like a Chinese new year in there. Just hope i didn't go too hop heavy..

Brown Cow Ale.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

From a stored yeast bank slurry or fresh deck Greeny?

From an overmade starter off the initial purchased whitelabs yeastpitch.  So 2nd generation. Checked it this afternoon and the airlock had equalised. 1.012 so I'm pretty sure its done. 4 and a bit days for a lager. Unheard of even when I've pitched onto a yeast cake. Its very malty and wouldn't suit some lager styles. But for a German style like helles, schwarzbier, bock or ocktoberfest I think this is an awesome yeast.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 8:50 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

From an overmade starter off the initial purchased whitelabs yeastpitch.  So 2nd generation. Checked it this afternoon and the airlock had equalised. 1.012 so I'm pretty sure its done. 4 and a bit days for a lager. Unheard of even when I've pitched onto a yeast cake. Its very malty and wouldn't suit some lager styles. But for a German style like helles, schwarzbier, bock or ocktoberfest I think this is an awesome yeast.

Luvyerwork Greeny!

Batched up the Best Extra Stout this morning. OS Stout can, 1.5kg Liquid dark malt, 1kg dextrose. Wort temp was a bit coolish so added an extra litre of hot water to make it 21L & 23°. Was also a bit concerned about the 1.063 OG so pitched two jars of CCY at 1115 this morning. Massive foamy kraussen at 1930 so assume that's a goer and well played me!

• Like 3

Just putting this together.

Independence Day Pale Ale

1.7kg Coopers APA
1.5kg Light LME
850gm Maris Otter
100gm flaked wheat
300gm Munich
45gm Cents @ 4 minutes with 20 minute stand after FO, before starting to chill
Clarity Ferm
23L RO water
20gm Citra x 4 day DH
20gm Amarillo x 4 day DH
20gm El Dorado x 4 day DH
WPL095 Burlington Ale Gen 3 slurry

Cheers,

Christina.
Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4

Early start for work this morning so was up at stupid o'clock, 3 AM on a Sunday. Saw the Inkbird switch on the fridge so thought I'd have a look while the fridge light was working. Well, you've never seen a pair of collar clips put on so fast. Most ridiculous krausen I've ever created by far. Checked in at 1130 and it hasn't quite hit the lid but it must of been close. Starting to all collapse now and the smell emanating from the FV is most pleasant. Love this gig😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Sorry to have doubted your staying ability. I'd have been asleep by now if I started at 3am. Kudos, Uncle.

LOLS, I cheated and had a quick snooze after lunch. At 55, my ironman days are long gone

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Haha 3

Ol' 55 Amber Ale looks nice and clear after a while at 2 deg for cold conditioning... here about to find its way into keg.. prefilled keg with Gas and a bit during to help keep the oxygen out. 

image.thumb.png.ecffe201d11894a0d431bb8b053ba82e.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ol' 55 Amber Ale looks nice and clear after a while at 2 deg for cold conditioning... here about to find its way into keg.. prefilled keg with Gas and a bit during to help keep the oxygen out. 

image.thumb.png.ecffe201d11894a0d431bb8b053ba82e.png

At first glance i almost thought you were trying to cook your beer BB 🤣

• Haha 1

Today's program will be to get the stout bottled up. Took the lager starter out of the fridge and dialled the Inkbird down to 15°. I know the W34/70 will keep going at 15 but I want it 100% good to go for tomorrow night. So right now I'm cracking roasted barley grains in the mortar n pestle ready to start a cold steep overnight. Trying not to turn it into flour so I'm just doing a little at a time. Any tips from the AG contingent?

I have NZ lager going in the fv, been purring away nicely for the last 8 days. I have my usual monitoring equipment on this one and my Plaato air lock has been steady at around 40 bubbles per min, which is the expected rate of ferment. Dry hopped with 25g of Motueka around 45 mins ago. Strangest thing i ever saw and its not happened before. Bpm shot up to 533 at its peak and i had a blow off. I caught it pretty quickly and cleaned the airlock and seems to have settled down again but still bpm over 100. Anyone else had this reaction?

Screenshot_20200712-102519_PLAATO.jpg

I put down a relatively easy little extract + grains brew yesterday afternoon. I used the MJ's M44 yeast on it.

No krausen when I got up this morning, a very small patch that maybe a krausen forming when I arrived home late this afternoon.

When I check it first thing tomorrow morning there better be a decent krausen covering the whole wort or I'm going to gently detach the temp probe, lift the FV out of the fermentation fridge, carry it over to the rear sliding door, open the sliding door, gently step outside, then with as much speed & energy as I can muster, run to the edge of my rear verandah & hurl the FV & its contents as hard as I can toward the back fence!

@#$%ing slow @r$e M44! I hate this yeast! meet BRY-97's Siamese twin!

Could be an interesting morning tomorrow.

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mister Sinister/Southwark Stout clone batched up and in the fridge. First experience with steeped grains, the roasted barley smells more coffee-like than coffee. Pitched some extra W43/70 yeast as I had some doubts about the amount of yeast in the starter. Kraussen report in morning fingers crossed

• Like 1