Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

2 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Oops....    Didn't read the recipe properly now did I. Tipped in the whole can of TCDME into this dark ale instead of 750g. I guess the final product will be higher ABV and darker. Any thoughts on what FG to look for starting SG was 1.042

Dunno Stavvy Cobber but reckon it will be a lovely brew anyway!  ; )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

I'll be doing a side by side comparison with these two. Just a couple of Dark Ale tins. The top one mixed with liquid dark malt, the bottom one with liquid light malt. Fermenting at 19C.

Nice Muzz... will be interesting to see what you come back with mate!

That is the deffo the best way to determine the difference in the variable being changed... here the liquid malt hey...

I did one AG Wort brew split with Ale Yeast (US05) vs Wheatie yeast (Dampfbier) and the difference was just staggering... which the old hands would realise but was a good learning for me.

Cheers Muzz.

BB

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice Muzz... will be interesting to see what you come back with mate!

That is the deffo the best way to determine the difference in the variable being changed... here the liquid malt hey...

I did one AG Wort brew split with Ale Yeast (US05) vs Wheatie yeast (Dampfbier) and the difference was just staggering... which the old hands would realise but was a good learning for me.

Cheers Muzz.

BB

Hi Burbs.

I only recently started using the liquid malt but I love it for a couple of reasons:

It mixes easier than dry malt.

It's actually a fairly economical way to buy malt, compared to the boxes of dry.

Edited by MUZZY

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

I'll be doing a side by side comparison with these two. Just a couple of Dark Ale tins. The top one mixed with liquid dark malt, the bottom one with liquid light malt. Fermenting at 19C.

IMG20200416070757.jpg

Look good brews Muzzy, dunno about that middle shelf though, she looks a bit dodgy 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

The top one with the dark malt extract is the one I'd make sure I had a few stored away for the winter period. It should be nice & rich & very enjoyable on a cold winter's day.

Also I'd prime them a little lower if you plan to drink them in 2-3 months time. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've used it a few times and it hasn't let me down yet, Red, but you're right. I think I'll have to try stabilise it further.

Just hate for you to wake up, and there’s beer all over the floor.

Maybe you should measure it up, send me the dimensions and I’ll make one out of all the scrap timber I’ve got laying around then send it down 🍺🍺🤣🤣

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've used it a few times and it hasn't let me down yet, Red, but you're right. I think I'll have to try stabilise it further.

22 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Maybe you should measure it up, send me the dimensions and I’ll make one out of all the scrap timber I’ve got laying around then send it down 🍺🍺🤣🤣

Get a glazier to make you up a glass shelf to the full thickness the slide sleeve spacing in your fridge will allow. I won't say it's super cheap, but way cheaper these days than full heavy metal varieties of the same thickness (TTBOMK).

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Thanks for the offer, champ.😉

I've got some more of the plywood that you can see in the photo that I can use. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

...I've got some more of the plywood that you can see in the photo that I can use. 

Great for harbouring mould & bacteria in a brew fridge due to the porous nature of wood especially when layered like this.

I would seriously consider that & how you plan to maintain regular sanitary conditions if wishing to go down this route.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Just put a few coats of varnish on it. Shouldn't be any issues with bugs then. That's what I did with mine and it's been fine. You could always give it a wipe down with bleach between batches as well. Certainly a cheaper method than getting a glass shelf made up.

I probably won't be using it after this current batch though because I'm getting rid of that fridge. It's cold crashing the batch now and it got as low as about 7 and wouldn't go any lower. Not sure if the shelf will fit in the kegerator, shame because with the varnish coating it's easy to slide the fermenter so I don't have to lift it all the way in or out. I'll just keep it somewhere for whenever the kegerator is replaced. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Just put a few coats of varnish on it. Shouldn't be any issues with bugs then. That's what I did with mine and it's been fine. You could always give it a wipe down with bleach between batches as well. Certainly a cheaper method than getting a glass shelf made up.

I probably won't be using it after this current batch though because I'm getting rid of that fridge. It's cold crashing the batch now and it got as low as about 7 and wouldn't go any lower. Not sure if the shelf will fit in the kegerator, shame because with the varnish coating it's easy to slide the fermenter so I don't have to lift it all the way in or out. I'll just keep it somewhere for whenever the kegerator is replaced. 

A coat of varnish? Sorry, Lusty, I like Otto's 20 cents worth better. 😄 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Look good brews Muzzy, dunno about that middle shelf though, she looks a bit dodgy 😁

An interim stabilisation solution until I can do something more substantial. Added another wire shelf underneath with another piece of plywood and a piece of pallet timber to chock it in place. Should be OK. If it fails it only has about an inch to fall to the bottom FV which would hopefully break it's fall.

IMG20200417092607.jpg

4 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Maybe your shelves are the wrong size but I just stuck a spare shelf in with the one the FV sits on - only very slight sign of a bend at rear under full load and only the top shelf. 😄 

image.thumb.png.5d92056759771bff7e8037ab16ad1258.png

Yeah, unfortunately the slots in my fridge won't take two shelves.

21 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Great for harbouring mould & bacteria in a brew fridge due to the porous nature of wood especially when layered like this.

There is this thing called PAINT

And yes you can even get Anti-Mould Paint...

But probably is useful to PRICE a sheet of festive glass vs buying paint and determine the best way forward.

The sheet of hardened glass is the neatest nicest way forward... but dependent upon cost.

Just my 5c worth...

All Good Brewers.

BB

----

Mmmmm @Otto Von Blotto Kelsey noted same -- and you noted @MUZZY -- and @Journeyman suggested double shelfing which I have used as well..

was working me way through the posting backlog... so am a bit out of sequence...

there are many ways to skin the cat... but a nice sheet of hardened glass is a beautiful thing so if not outrageously expensive is a nice @Beerlust Lusty solution

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, unfortunately the slots in my fridge won't take two shelves.

Yes they will,  get two strips of wood to set the shelves on and screw them into the sides of the fridge where you want the shelf to sit.... easy as.... works a treat. 

20200417_185234.jpg

• Like 1

Got another English Bitter down, can EB, 1.5kg can Light Malt Extract(thanks Bearded B), 200gr Golden Syrup, 1x vial Clarity Ferm, 7gr can yeast & 5gr Mr Beer yeast(another hare brained scheme) OG 1041, yeast pitched @20c,  this is going off! Trying the Clarity Ferm cause lots of homebrew makes life interesting & farts are banned! Will be leaving in FV for 2 weeks, hyd tube test beer tasted gooooood.  

• Like 1

Ditto on the English bitter. Recipe from the spreadsheet, Extra Smooth Bitter....Coopers EB tin, 1kg BE1, 225g molasses made up to 23 and kit yeast. Came up a little warm so FV in fridge chilling to 23° but will pitch at 25°. Inkbird hooked up ready to go😎