Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Ran out of beer and i had to buy beer and it made me sad. Had a brew festival on my back patio this weekend and put down 4 brews to fill these empty kegs. I got a neipa and ipa both fermenting with opshaug kveik under my stairs pretty much done. A simple hefe with wb06 I plan on throwing a kg of raspberries in as it was a hit last time. And finally after being severely exhausted but not giving up I put down a clone of a beer i tried in the states and fell in love. Julius IPA Clone https://trinitybrewers.com/brews/ipa/julius-clone-treehouse-brewing-ipa/

I'll finish with a massive boil over which covered my shiny new brewzilla 😮

20200405_102803.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

15 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Don't listen to that AG lot mate. 😜

I got to a level with my pots & pans stove top/oven extract/partial method that produces really nice beer, & am still in that space some 8yrs later. That said I would try to get hold of a suitable sized pot that could comfortably mash at least 2kgs of grain. This will help you to produce some of the more intricate styles of beer that you simply cannot buy in extract form to begin with. It also allows you to experiment with colour & malt derived flavours a lot more, that can be really fun.

I have a pot big enough - one of those 20L pots from BigW. So far, haven't felt the need but pretty sure I could get it into a warm oven to keep it at decent temp long enough to mash. It's hard to go past the reliability of the sous vide though - set the temp and that's where it stays. 😄 I should see if there's a larger one around - I could get one that clips to the side of the large pot but they come with a fan to push water around - not sure what grains may do to the impeller. 😄 

8 hours ago, Dirtman Dan said:

...I'll finish with a massive boil over which covered my shiny new brewzilla 😮

20200405_102803.jpg

Dirtman Daniel son.....wax on.......wax off.......wax on.......wax off.... 😜

Cheers & good luck with that crazy English/Belgian/German wheat yeast fermented IPA!

Lusty.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I have a pot big enough - one of those 20L pots from BigW. So far, haven't felt the need but pretty sure I could get it into a warm oven to keep it at decent temp long enough to mash. It's hard to go past the reliability of the sous vide though - set the temp and that's where it stays. 😄 I should see if there's a larger one around - I could get one that clips to the side of the large pot but they come with a fan to push water around - not sure what grains may do to the impeller. 😄 

Another way to mash in a picnic cooler (aka mash tun). That is what I do. Works very well at keeping the temp stable....The only problem with picnic coolers is that the lids are generally hollow / not insulated. I drilled some holes in mine and filled it with spray foam insulation. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 7:25 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

There is an Aussie guy in his early 20's who has some YouTube stuff who does BIAB on his apartment balcony with a 19 litre pot and a Coleman camping burner. Seriously his set up would have cost less than $100.00 for starters. The thing that is attractive about BIAB is it is cheap to set up.  On YouTube you see loads of clips of guys doing it in their kitchen in a 30 litre pot.  So the cost there is a pot and a bag.  Once you have done it a  few times BIAB brewing is no harder or time consuming that making a roast dinner for a family gathering.  Actually it is easier than that.   The most intense part of my day yesterday was emptying the kettle and transferring the 42 litres to the fermenter, pitching them cleaning up. That took no more than 45 minutes but closer to 30.  Seriously cleaning bottles is more labour intensive than AG brewing.  

Yep which is a point iv made on here multiple times I think my first BIAB set up cost $19 for the pot from Big W and $6 for the bags and I did partials and Maxi BIAB on a stove top. I upgraded to the Robobrew because they are more versatile and can be used for more then just making beer which is a heluva lot easier lol.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 6:33 PM, Beerlust said:

Don't listen to that AG lot mate. 😜

I got to a level with my pots & pans stove top/oven extract/partial method that produces really nice beer, & am still in that space some 8yrs later. That said I would try to get hold of a suitable sized pot that could comfortably mash at least 2kgs of grain. This will help you to produce some of the more intricate styles of beer that you simply cannot buy in extract form to begin with. It also allows you to experiment with colour & malt derived flavours a lot more, that can be really fun.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

I'm not adverse to stepping up a bit in my partials - after I get kegging happening that's probably the next evolutionary step in my brewing. In recent brews I've gotten comfortable with yeast starters - I've pitched my 4th beer from the same starter, and the last 2 were both bulk primed with the very last one pitched onto a trub to see how that goes.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:55 AM, MartyG1525230263 said:

There is an Aussie guy in his early 20's who has some YouTube stuff who does BIAB on his apartment balcony with a 19 litre pot and a Coleman camping burner. Seriously his set up would have cost less than $100.00 for starters. The thing that is attractive about BIAB is it is cheap to set up.  On YouTube you see loads of clips of guys doing it in their kitchen in a 30 litre pot.  So the cost there is a pot and a bag.  Once you have done it a  few times BIAB brewing is no harder or time consuming that making a roast dinner for a family gathering.  Actually it is easier than that.   The most intense part of my day yesterday was emptying the kettle and transferring the 42 litres to the fermenter, pitching them cleaning up. That took no more than 45 minutes but closer to 30.  Seriously cleaning bottles is more labour intensive than AG brewing.  

That 'intensive bottle cleaning' is why kegging is my next step. But like a couple of others on here, I'me quite happy with the beers I am getting from K&K+partials. Maybe one day I'll get to a beer comp or festival and taste some beers that make me go, "Ooooh, so THAT'S what they are talking about!" but for now, inclination and funds don't lead me to AG...

Yet... 😄

And I'm a little old to be learning body building by lugging 42 litres around. 😄

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

pitched onto a trub to see how that goes.

Be interesting to see what you think about that. As it is a massive over pitch of yeast and can issues with reduced beer character.  I did it once and found the beer quite bland.  However, my thoughts are would be good for lagers as over pitching  them is generally a good thing. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

And I'm a little old to be learning body building by lugging 42 litres around. 😄

Mate I am nearly 64 and have no problem with the weight. The size of the fermenter is more of an issue.  I suppose all the years of power lifting and Crossfit helps. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Be interesting to see what you think about that. As it is a massive over pitch of yeast and can issues with reduced beer character.  I did it once and found the beer quite bland.  However, my thoughts are would be good for lagers as over pitching  them is generally a good thing. 

Yes, I have seen comments about it and the beer is one I have done a couple of times - the XPA clone.  Although the other 2 times the recipe was not precise, they are alike enough I am hoping I can tell the difference, if any, from the extra yeast.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Mate I am nearly 64 and have no problem with the weight. The size of the fermenter is more of an issue.  I suppose all the years of power lifting and Crossfit helps. 

I'm a year older and was never more than a dilettante at exercise. 😄 And these days, the muscles are willing but the joints tell me to eff-off! 😄

Another potential issue with pitching the whole trub is due to the lack of reproduction of cells, it's mainly old cells doing the work, which may or may not create off flavours. 

I've done it once but I think it was a stout so not really any noticeable blandness there. Probably depends on the yeast strain a bit too. Something like us05 at 18 degrees is already pretty neutral so it probably wouldn't be much different in terms of blandness. With more characterful yeasts though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Another potential issue with pitching the whole trub is due to the lack of reproduction of cells, it's mainly old cells doing the work, which may or may not create off flavours. 

I've done it once but I think it was a stout so not really any noticeable blandness there. Probably depends on the yeast strain a bit too. Something like us05 at 18 degrees is already pretty neutral so it probably wouldn't be much different in terms of blandness. With more characterful yeasts though...

This was a Nott starter - although it may have had a Coopers kit yeast added - can't recall if it weas this starter or the previous one where I was concerned about apparent lack of activity and chucked in the kit yeast to get it going. I THINK it was the previous starter. So this is Nottingham.

If I do it again, maybe I'll try dropping in a couple litres of water and some LDME to give it a kick start as a starter...?

My experience with using slurry with ales is you will never be able to get repeatability of your brew. At least i couldn't despite doing it a lot in my early days. You dont know how many viable cells are in the slurry. As kelsey says you will get away with it with a neutral yeast but anything which throws yeast flavours you will get something different everytime.

Im a massive fan of using slurry and pitching on the trub for lagers. I find the more yeast the better.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Im a massive fan of using slurry and pitching on the trub for lagers. I find the more yeast the better.  

Yep rule of thumb you can never over pitch a lager BUT you sure can under pitch one, as I have found out, and the results are not good. 

• Like 1

I've just removed the dry hop baggies of Cashmere from my current WLP059 fermented ale, & put the fridge into cold conditioning mode. I was quite taken by the aroma left by the Cashmere hops. 

Will likely keg & fast carb this on Sunday/Monday. Really looking forward to seeing this one in the glass & to sample it given the odd mix of ingredients & the unknowns they will each bring to the table.

Brews like this are one of the main reasons why I love home brewing. 😎

Cheers & I hope all manage to find a way to enjoy the Easter weekend.

Lusty.

• Like 2

I just added the simcoe/lemon drop dry hop to my XPA and 80g coarse ground coffee with 1 dessertspoon vanilla essence as a 'dry hop' to my stout. Fresh ground coffee and vanilla smell fantastic together. Hopefully it works with the stout - I deliberately did not hop the stout earlier and will not do it now. I figure to let the flavours come through as is, stout, coffee and vanilla and not interfere with any kind of floral... 😄

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 3:03 PM, Titan said:

Well the smash i did on Friday was pitched early Saturday morning. was a few points over my predicted OG. 1.058 down to 1.020 based on tilt in 2 days. Ramped up to 20 deg and will leave it there for next 2 days. Expected FG was 1.009 but i think this will finish a little higher than that. Anyhow I will pull a sample tonight and measure true value.

Titan you pretty happy with that Tilt Gadget mate?  And does the one Gadget do all the way from like 1080 down to zero can you confirm?

Sorry to go OT everyone.   @ChristinaS1 How did your son get on with any Covid-19 test. I remember you said you were having big trouble with the medical help tele-line over there in Canada but that thread got deleted.  Just was wondering how it all turned out.  Hope all is ok over there with your mob.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Titan you pretty happy with that Tilt Gadget mate?  And does the one Gadget do all the way from like 1080 down to zero can you confirm?

Not sure what the upper limit is but its way more than 1.080 and yes down to a point where it will sit vertical in a liquid then it will switch off. If your home every night then no need for old phone or raspberry Pi. I have the pi that logs readings to google sheets every 15 mins. Working away meant i could monitor the progress remotely. These are bluetooth devices which is its biggest drawback. Maybe one-day they will release a wifi version. Im glad i have one.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Titan said:

Not sure what the upper limit is but its way more than 1.080 and yes down to a point where it will sit vertical in a liquid then it will switch off. If your home every night then no need for old phone or raspberry Pi. I have the pi that logs readings to google sheets every 15 mins. Working away meant i could monitor the progress remotely. These are bluetooth devices which is its biggest drawback. Maybe one-day they will release a wifi version. Im glad i have one.

Yeah for the time being I am home lots... and reckon it would be very useful to be able to better understand the SG changes especially in Pils/Lagers and knowing when to do the di-acetyl rest... plus my cylinder for the hydro takes a fair bit of brew which gets poured into the compost... and every time I use the tap I have to clean the tap and sterilise... and if I do a pressure jobby it probably would be useful to be able to monitor SG remotely without mucking around with the pressurized brew....  and the brewery control centre to the brew fridge should be fine for bluetooth to make its way through ; )

So am thinking me way through on this one... and appreciate your feedback Titan!  Thanks mate. BB

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Titan said:

Maybe one-day they will release a wifi version.

is it here?  I am happy with plain old bluetooth - but you mentioned Wireless Titan...  this jumped out when I just was looking for the plain old Bluetooth version...

image.png.32aa190077ebb1d529149e8002402db1.png

If you have an old phone that you can use. That dosent sleep you can log to google sheets and get some great info. Below is my chart for the smash. Looking at the date the sg and the temp you can see when i raised from 18 to 20. Then you can see when i started to CC. When i drew a sample for hydro it was spot on with the tilt.

Screenshot_20200409-222322_Sheets.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

is it here?  I am happy with plain old bluetooth - but you mentioned Wireless Titan...  this jumped out when I just was looking for the plain old Bluetooth version...

image.png.32aa190077ebb1d529149e8002402db1.png

Yes mate same as mine, wireless but not wifi.

• Thanks 1