Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

12 minutes ago, Woodsy1525230278 said:

Could be worth a go. Not been in there yet. 

Just go in there and ask, "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?"
Just make sure you're carrying a slab of Fruits of the Woods under your arm when you walk in. I'm sure they'll be bowing and doing a Wayne's World "we're not worthy" chant before you know it. 😄 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3sOuEv0E2I

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 5

As I mentioned earlier, gelatin is positively charged and binds to negatively charged particles. Yeast have a negative charge.

I don't know if the things that cause chill haze are proteins or not, but if so they may possess a positive charge, in which case gelatin won't help, especially if used at ambient temps.

CC by itself is pretty good at clearing beer if you leave it long enough. That is all I used for years. I have only used gelatin twice, and chitosan once. I am interested in getting less yeast in my beer, in a faster time frame.

Kegged and bottled my Sour Cherry English Bitter today.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

From what I've read chill haze is a result of proteins and polyphenols binding together and creating larger particles visible as haze. Remove either one from the beer and you remove chill haze, hence my use of polyclar to remove polyphenols. I've never found cold crashing alone to do much for clearing chill haze although it is obviously effective at dropping yeast. I use isinglass for yeast and find it to be fantastic, drops out quite a bit of it and forms a nice compact sediment. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Titan said:

Give it a go bud, you might save a few cents and more importantly time.

It is literally a few cents - a tin of gelatin costs about the same as 1 pkt of finings from BigW - circa $3 and is enough for at least 10 brews.

And it's. boil some water, put it in my whizz-bang finings jar, (nail holes in the top on half it and 1 larger hole on the other half as a breather) stir and pour around top of brew. i.e. no biggie in time. 

And I haven't experienced what Otto mentioned about trub being unsettled - mine seem firm enough I have to squirt water on it to break it up when washing the FV.

So finally got around to bottling the Little Red Wagon Ale tonight which is an attempt at a Red Trolley clone. The sample, warm and flat, tasted absolutely amazing, so much so that I drank all of it.

This weekend shall be the return of the stout, which is a bit of a modification on the Best Extra Stout recipe, with lactose and vanilla added. Will be the first time to try out the brew fridge.

• Like 4

On 3/16/2020 at 7:12 PM, Titan said:

Short version hit fg keg this weekend.

Titan mate does the one Tilt unit cover that complete range i.e. like 1090 down to 1010 and below?  You pretty happy with it so far?

Wotsinmyfermenter? Nowt.

Back to yeast and a bit of inadvertent trub... decanted to SS to finalise DiAcetyl Resting and then do the slow cool down clean-up phase... then later cold crash n keg.

Want me Coopers Plazzi FV for a Stout tomorrow if I can get things organised...

image.png.2ff55d0e8bfaa7e6b04b8021dfb658d6.png

Used W34/70 of earlier Pils... and the slurry smashed through the brew in less than 6 days... most at 12 degC and then 10 points at 18 degC...

But certainly has worked through the fermentables nicely.

First time for me too where I washed - sterilised - and then gassed up the empty SS Vat before decanting the brew across filling from the bottom as per photo below... with a vodka filled bubbler on top... allowing the C02 to bubble out as the brew went in...

So reckon I should hopefully have got the brew across ok with minimal chance for infection or any Oxy interference... time will tell I guess.

Grains were Weyermann Bo Pils + Munich and some ever faithful Wheat -- the OG reading colour looks nice so will be cool to see what it looks like when comes out the keg.

Cheers Brewers... must get on... looks like another one of those late Saturday Brew Evenings about to start ha ha 😋

image.png.b4d761b746ea656a85aec0f5e9dcf5ed.png

• Like 8

In my FV's are:
top = an APA, base is Coopers Real, 1.25 LDM, 420 g Golden Promise, 140 g oats, 25g whirlpool mosaic, will have 25g each cascade and citra day 7 & 8 at 14°
bottom = A kind of English Bitter, Coopers English base, 1.1'ish kg LDM (1.1 in the wort but 250g in the starter of 3L and 2L of that went into the brew) 250g each of Bairds Amber malt and Gladfield's crystal rye, 500g Coopers Ale grains, 25g cascade 15 min b oil, 25g cascade whirlpool. (this smelt good enough to drink now... 😄

I tilt the FV's back to concentrate the trub away from the tap - keeps my bottles clear. 😄

Equinox Beers.jpg

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Got an Extra Smooth bitter to be bottled in a few days, the last one was great after 3 weeks & an Unreal ale on the go all to Coopers recipes. Been leaving the wort 2 weeks in the fv & 'trying' to leave the bottles for 4 weeks but failing miserably, usually gone by week 3.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

In my FV's are: ...

I tilt the FV's back to concentrate the trub away from the tap - keeps my bottles clear. 😄

Nice Brew Fridge set-up Jman - got one of each of those vessels but they won't fit both in my Brew Fridge ha ha.

And can't either - as the tall top one is being used to house my BB Pale Base Malt ; )

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Titan mate does the one Tilt unit cover that complete range i.e. like 1090 down to 1010 and below?  You pretty happy with it so far?

Yes mate it does. Problem i find is with connectivity. You either need a raspberry pi or an old mobile phone or tablet left near the fv. But even if you chose the raspberry if you have a power fail tilt will stop sending readings to cloud. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice Brew Fridge set-up Jman - got one of each of those vessels but they won't fit both in my Brew Fridge ha ha.

And can't either - as the tall top one is being used to house my BB Pale Base Malt ; )

I'm spoiled for choice... 😄 Got the red fridge for $30 and the big one as payment for computer work. Has separate freezer control. I'm constantly on the lookout for more of the stubby FV's - if I had 3 more I could literally get 4 brews in there at the same time.

New Fridge 2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Titan said:

Just put a tomato paste wash in a fermenter.

1. 4kg sugar
  2. 140g tomato paste (1 pot)
  3. 60g bakers yeast

Will distill this in a couple weeks and use as a base for hand sanitizer.

If you can get some isocool or even just some cheap vodka,  mix it with the flesh of aloe Vera plant  and a few drops of lavender oil and you’ll have plenty of hand sanitizer ready to go straight away. 

the Misso just made 2ltrs of it.
2 thirds isopropyl 1 third aloe. Bing bang bong. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks Benny.

So where do you get White Spirit 15 Bots for $22?

You distill a 13% abv tomato paste wash which can produce 2.5l of 95% alcohol water it down to 40% thats what white spirit is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Titan said:

You distill a 13% abv tomato paste wash which can produce 2.5l of 95% alcohol water it down to 40% thats what white spirit is.

The percentage alcohol of hand sanitizer needs to be 70%. So that should only be diluted down to 70%, not 40%.

All vodka sold in Canada is 40% alcohol, which is not high enough to make and hand effective sanitizer.  You would need distilling equipment in order to make hand sanitizer from standard strength 40% vodka.

I understand that some countries allow the sale of Everclear, a rectified spirit which is 95% ABV, but Canada does not. I am not sure about Australia. 

Here in Canada some commercial distilleries are switching over to producing hand sanitizer.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1

13 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

The percentage alcohol of hand sanitizer needs to be 70%. So that should only be diluted down to 70%, not 40%.

All vodka sold in Canada is 40% alcohol, which is not high enough to make and hand effective sanitizer.  You would need distilling equipment in order to make hand sanitizer from standard strength 40% vodka.

I understand that some countries allow the sale of Everclear, a rectified spirit which is 95% ABV, but Canada does not. I am not sure about Australia. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Correct accept its 60%. But was only answering the last post about white spirit. My still is producing great alcohol tonight. Spent $20 on 8l White wine, distilled to 63% and aloe vera added.

• Like 2