Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

What's in my fermenter:  Back in Black... another stout underway - brew from the AG shenanigans posted the other day on BrewdayWatcherGot ; )

Seems to be happy enough a day later since the US05 Starter was pitched... running at a nice cool ambient of 19 deg C and the Larder smells grrrrreat!!!

image.thumb.png.66b43bbca0627cf18228141933638e8c.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Not sure if I should bio fine it or not

Might be to late for you, but I would.  If the beer is meant to be cloudy, then do not fine it.  If it is meant to be pretty clear, but is a bit cloudy, then fine it.  Yours is a beaut colour, that looks like it could only improve with being clearer.

• Thanks 1

My belgian tripel is down from 1074 to 1020. Pitched on Sunday lunchtime so its only 3 and a half days and almost done. Expecting this to finish at 1008. 

The other beer on the go is the porter. The airlock has slowed and the hydro is showing 1018. The S04 has smashed through it in 2 and a half days. The slight acidic taste is gone also. Sample is tasting very nice. Supposed to finish ~1014.

At this rate I will bottle these babies on the weekend and fill up the fermentation fridge with another 2 brews. Happy days!!!

• Like 3

Got the Lager now heading down to 8 degrees tomorrow on the slow temp decline down over the week down to 2degC to encourage the yeast clean-up... 

Am thinking of using some gelatine for floc/clarifying... not used it before. 

Any advice on that anyone -- other than wet up with cold boiled water then heat to approx 65 degC then cool keeping sterile and pitch?

About 6g for the 20 litres?  And add when in the 2-7 deg range?

image.png.662d6dad1f93c6af96195e7286f49e20.png

1 hour ago, Abbot-67 said:

ROTM - Neon Haze

Good luck with that Chief Abbott!  And nice FV shelf in the brewfridge - done well.... my makeshift thing using a plastic cutting board, and bits and pieces to keep it up shoulda been replaced 12 months ago... will eventually get around to it 😋

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 9:09 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Got the Lager now heading down to 8 degrees tomorrow on the slow temp decline down over the week down to 2degC to encourage the yeast clean-up... 

Am thinking of using some gelatine for floc/clarifying... not used it before. 

Any advice on that anyone -- other than wet up with cold boiled water then heat to approx 65 degC then cool keeping sterile and pitch?

About 6g for the 20 litres?  And add when in the 2-7 deg range?

image.png.662d6dad1f93c6af96195e7286f49e20.png

I'd really like a few SS FV's but aside from the cost, I think I'd miss being able to perv on my brews. 😄 They do look the goods though.

• Like 1

Brew day yesterday, 2 x quick KnK Brews to keep stocks up 

Morgan’s Canadian ( India ) Pale Ale- Top

Pacific Summer Ale - Bottom. Had to substitute the Summer Hops with Saaz as couldn’t get any Summer locally. Dry hop Galaxy after about 4 days, although given the quick fermentation I might be dry hopping sooner than 4 days.

I like to leave mine brew 10-12 days in FV, usually I’m away during the week travelling with work so can’t keg it anyway, but no travelling at the moment !! I’ll still probably leave 8 or so days then CC for a few.

This Morgan’s Ale Yeast kicks in really quickly, when I use US-05 it takes a good 48hrs before any fermentation, granted the Morgan’s Yeast is 15g and US-05 is 11g.

Cheers RD44 🍺🍺

D39DEC7C-FE6D-4070-85BC-E9E764EDBF2E.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 9:50 AM, Journeyman said:

In my FV's are:
top = an APA, base is Coopers Real, 1.25 LDM, 420 g Golden Promise, 140 g oats, 25g whirlpool mosaic, will have 25g each cascade and citra day 7 & 8 at 14°
bottom = A kind of English Bitter, Coopers English base, 1.1'ish kg LDM (1.1 in the wort but 250g in the starter of 3L and 2L of that went into the brew) 250g each of Bairds Amber malt and Gladfield's crystal rye, 500g Coopers Ale grains, 25g cascade 15 min b oil, 25g cascade whirlpool. (this smelt good enough to drink now... 😄

I tilt the FV's back to concentrate the trub away from the tap - keeps my bottles clear. 😄

Equinox Beers.jpg

Just dry hopped both of these. EKG for the Bitter and Cascade for the APA. I was going to double up with mosaic for the APA but figured with the lockdown I should conserve ingredients for now.

Bitter - OG - expected 1.062, Actual 1.060, Final expected - 1.014, Actual  1.012

APA - OG - expected 1.059, Actual 1.056, Final expected - 1.013, Actual  1.009 

2 days dry hop at 14° then a day at 1° and couple of days  after finings. Then a big bottling day.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I'd really like a few SS FV's but aside from the cost, I think I'd miss being able to perv on my brews. 😄 They do look the goods though.

Cheers JMan - exy no doubt - but I did get this one on spesh - I do like the nil-contam thing with glass-stainless-pyrex-ceramic... but there is as you say - without a doubt - a huge benefit in being able to observe WTF is going on with the Wort - so I most of the time do defer to the Coopers Plazzi... mmm.  The SS kit has its uses too - and if I do have a crack at a pressurized ferment at some stage it is likely to come in useful.  But I think all up a Coopers Plazzi FV is a beautiful thing. Cheers mate. BB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Brew day yesterday, 2 x quick KnK Brews to keep stocks up

Mate Red you are the labelling KING - how good is that - SENNNNSATIONAL.  And you must have a massive Brewfridge if you can fit two 23 Coopers Plazzis in one go hey?

And luvyerbrewfridgeshelf!?!   Very nice work.

Have you got a Safety Tag on the BrewFridge Handle to say "Authorised Brewers Only" and have the handle locked out?  I certainly hope so. 😜

image.png.74c1e6a16e92fe754c900c4a5336e408.png

46 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate Red you are the labelling KING - how good is that - SENNNNSATIONAL.  And you must have a massive Brewfridge if you can fit two 23 Coopers Plazzis in one go hey?

And luvyerbrewfridgeshelf!?!   Very nice work.

Have you got a Safety Tag on the BrewFridge Handle to say "Authorised Brewers Only" and have the handle locked out?  I certainly hope so. 😜

image.png.74c1e6a16e92fe754c900c4a5336e408.png

Cheers mate, yes I’m pretty particular and like things organised. I can take the top half of the shelf apart if I have a double batch in there in my 60L fermenter.

I guess that’s attention to detail, I have another fermenting fridge but it can only hold 1 FV, so always have 3 going most of the time 🤣🤣

Plus , spare parts dividers, see below.

My tools and toolbox are super organised as well, it’s how I was brought up and was taught as an apprentice to be organised, makes it sh#tloads easier to find things I tell ya 🤣🤣

Might look into the Safety Tag thing 😜😜

41F951BB-7180-4D4B-83B9-1E10930CBC84.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Might look into the Safety Tag thing 😜😜

Ha ha mate you are a Champion.

I think we need to accelerate your Brewing Grading through to Brown Belt - and get you into Black Belt once you have your AG facility in place 😋

image.png.c2577335701c1159b3917a45b47b3d7c.png

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Ha ha mate you are a Champion.

I think we need to accelerate your Brewing Grading through to Brown Belt - and get you into Black Belt once you have your AG facility in place 😋

image.png.c2577335701c1159b3917a45b47b3d7c.png

Still have lots to learn mate, but I’ll accept the brown belt 🤣🤣

Dont know anything about re-harvesting yeast, might have a crack at that.

Watched a few AG videos when I get the chance.

I picked up a few left over cold room panels on a job a while back, they are stored under the house, when I move the plan is I will build a mini cold room and keep kegs in there and also smoke my own meat etc, and keep my home made cheese in there also. I am a Mechanical Fitter but I have a refrigeration ticket I did back in the 90,s, I also teach it, so will hook up my own refrigeration unit also 🤣🤣

Ahh dreams, dreams 😜😜

• Like 2