Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

Just put this in the fridge... 1.078 OG which means it's a little off because there wasn't a line for the 300 g oats I mashed. But smells and looks good - even tasstes like a stout already.

It's likely to end up with coffee &/or chocolate in there.

image.thumb.png.70b6c4bf1e8942eaf39db25c8583d675.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just to further plant the seed, that brew would be about half the price if is was AG...  😉 😋

But at 8 plus % its twice its weight in fatty liver!

Cheers - AL

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Just to further plant the seed, that brew would be about half the price if is was AG...  😉 😋

....and about 5-6 times longer to produce the wort on brew day. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

....and about 5-6 times longer to produce the wort on brew day. 😉

Which is a BIG factor, for me anyway. Plus the need for a gas stove of some kind, plus HUGE pot and sparging plus... 😄

I've gone as far as I need with partials and making luvverly beer that way. 😄 Kegging is a streamlining of the brewing process - AG seems to start a whole new level of complexity.

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Which is a BIG factor, for me anyway. Plus the need for a gas stove of some kind, plus HUGE pot and sparging plus... 😄

I've gone as far as I need with partials and making luvverly beer that way. 😄 Kegging is a streamlining of the brewing process - AG seems to start a whole new level of complexity.

Or something like a Robobrew / Guten or Grainfather ? AG brew days don't take that much effort at all especially when all you need to do is mash a few buttons set some temps on the equipment. Even progress into making your own hand sanitizer from home 🤣

Just now, Smashed Crabs said:

Or something like a Robobrew / Guten or Grainfather ? AG brew days don't take that much effort at all especially when all you need to do is mash a few buttons set some temps on the equipment. Even progress into making your own hand sanitizer from home 🤣

Ah... well, when I win lotto I may consider it. For the price of THAT level of equipment I could have my own pub. 😄

24 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Which is a BIG factor, for me anyway. Plus the need for a gas stove of some kind, plus HUGE pot and sparging plus

Come on now mate you can keep it pretty simple to being with..... for example if you just get a Crown Urn - think Kelsey @Otto Von Blotto uses one of those - maybe some sort of false floor arrangement to keep the bag off the element (leccy so no gas worries) - a good quality nylon BIAB brew bag - DO NOT BUY THE CHEAP BIAB BAG from CPB BTDT (had a nightmare with that piece of #$%@ but it came in a kit bundle)..... buy a good quality one.... got a beauty from a non-local HBS in Capalaba Qld a while ago when I was wandering past....  $25..... beautiful thing.... and get a cheap arrrrse pulley-n-rope from Bunnings to get the blllllloooody heavy hot bag of grain out - hook to rafters.... and you are there.... boil the jug to sparge a bit....  make dog biscuits out of the spent grain... and you have got GOLD brew and cost effectively.

• Haha 1

Checked the SG on the pale ale just now, sitting about 1.023 or something so a bit slower than normal but I didn't use oxygen at pitching time and this is also 5 days at 18 where I normally raise the temperature earlier. It has been raised now but I suppose it will take a few hours to get there.

Most importantly, it smells and tastes fine. Just a bit sweet on account of it not being at FG yet. 

I'll be soaking the cube in perc today and tomorrow in preparation for the weekend. After that I'll be cleaning up that infected fermenter, possibly replacing the tap too. I have to go to Bunnings for some pool salt so might grab three taps, one for this fermenter and two spares if needed. I'll just check my cupboard and the shed first because I think there might be one lying around somewhere, unused.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Checked the SG on the pale ale just now, sitting about 1.023 or something so a bit slower than normal but I didn't use oxygen at pitching time and this is also 5 days at 18 where I normally raise the temperature earlier. It has been raised now but I suppose it will take a few hours to get there.

Most importantly, it smells and tastes fine. Just a bit sweet on account of it not being at FG yet. 

I'll be soaking the cube in perc today and tomorrow in preparation for the weekend. After that I'll be cleaning up that infected fermenter, possibly replacing the tap too. I have to go to Bunnings for some pool salt so might grab three taps, one for this fermenter and two spares if needed. I'll just check my cupboard and the shed first because I think there might be one lying around somewhere, unused.

Might need to make an appointment at Bunnings, mate. I'm hearing some stores are pulling bigger crowds than State of Origin games for some reason.

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

HUGE pot and sparging plus...

No sparging needed for a BIAB if the pot is big enough.  Brew day over today. Just on 4 hours from start to pitching.   Will clean up soon but that is near done too.  42 litres in the fermenter. 

On 4/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, ChristinaS1 said:
Put this down today, modelled after an American craft NEIPA. Used some of the hops I bough in bulk. The little vacuum sealer I bought works pretty good.

Juicy Bits Pale Ale

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa
1.5kg Light LME
850gm Superior Pale Ale
150gm Carapils
150gm flaked oats
40gm Cents @ F0
20gm Citra @ 75C / 179F.
20gm Mosaic @ 75C
20gm El Dorado @ 75C
Clarity Ferm
23L RO water
10gm Citra x 4 day DH
10gm Mosaic x 4 day DH
El Dorado x 4 day DH
Gen 2 WLP95 Burlington Ale pitched @ 1:45p.m. @ 18.5C. Fridge set to 18C.

OG 1.053; FG 1.013; IBU 27; ABV 5.2%; BU:GU 0.52. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Was expecting that the blow off tube would have stopped bubbling by now, but it hasn't. Wonder if it will, like last time I used this yeast, continue to bubble for ages (never really stopped).

Dry hopped this today anyway.

• Like 1

Well the smash i did on Friday was pitched early Saturday morning. was a few points over my predicted OG. 1.058 down to 1.020 based on tilt in 2 days. Ramped up to 20 deg and will leave it there for next 2 days. Expected FG was 1.009 but i think this will finish a little higher than that. Anyhow I will pull a sample tonight and measure true value.

3 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Might need to make an appointment at Bunnings, mate. I'm hearing some stores are pulling bigger crowds than State of Origin games for some reason.

Not here. Went there twice over the last couple of weeks and it was practically empty. Maybe it's changed since then, I dunno. I'll be driving past one soon so I'll see how full the carpark is 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Not here. Went there twice over the last couple of weeks and it was practically empty. Maybe it's changed since then, I dunno. I'll be driving past one soon so I'll see how full the carpark is 😂

Oh good. I didn't see it myself, just someone told me so it could be bollocks.

I just put this in the fridge. OG came in at 1.076 - I went a bit over on LDME but only 150 g so I'm thinking it will be the fact I used the Woolies Draught can in place of LME in the XPA recipe.

So, 2 days in a row I've bottled a brew and put another in the fridge. Yesterday was English Bitter bottled and Stout brewed and today was APA bottled and XPA brewed.

image.png.14078e6967e3c63a8c6888c81f9639d6.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Don't listen to that AG lot mate. 😜

I got to a level with my pots & pans stove top/oven extract/partial method that produces really nice beer, & am still in that space some 8yrs later. That said I would try to get hold of a suitable sized pot that could comfortably mash at least 2kgs of grain. This will help you to produce some of the more intricate styles of beer that you simply cannot buy in extract form to begin with. It also allows you to experiment with colour & malt derived flavours a lot more, that can be really fun.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah looked like it normally does, certainly wasn't packed

My wife showed me a picture today of people lined up outside a Queensland Bunnings store like they were queuing for Grand Final tickets.  What you saw might not have been busy but it is headed that way.

Maybe they were only letting a certain amount of customers in at a time. The store I usually use is actually further away than the closest one to me, but it's always quieter and easier to get in and out of which is why I prefer it. It was a ghost town those two times I went lately. 

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

My wife showed me a picture today of people lined up outside a Queensland Bunnings store like they were queuing for Grand Final tickets.  What you saw might not have been busy but it is headed that way.

Apparently there was a line up at our one at Lawnton over the weekend, but it was as quiet as when I ducked in there yesterday afternoon.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

BB said you can knock something together a lot cheaper yourself.

There is an Aussie guy in his early 20's who has some YouTube stuff who does BIAB on his apartment balcony with a 19 litre pot and a Coleman camping burner. Seriously his set up would have cost less than $100.00 for starters. The thing that is attractive about BIAB is it is cheap to set up.  On YouTube you see loads of clips of guys doing it in their kitchen in a 30 litre pot.  So the cost there is a pot and a bag.  Once you have done it a  few times BIAB brewing is no harder or time consuming that making a roast dinner for a family gathering.  Actually it is easier than that.   The most intense part of my day yesterday was emptying the kettle and transferring the 42 litres to the fermenter, pitching them cleaning up. That took no more than 45 minutes but closer to 30.  Seriously cleaning bottles is more labour intensive than AG brewing.  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 3