Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

On 4/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, ChristinaS1 said:
Put this down today, modelled after an American craft NEIPA. Used some of the hops I bough in bulk. The little vacuum sealer I bought works pretty good.

Juicy Bits Pale Ale

1.7kg Mexican Cervesa
1.5kg Light LME
850gm Superior Pale Ale
150gm Carapils
150gm flaked oats
40gm Cents @ F0
20gm Citra @ 75C / 179F.
20gm Mosaic @ 75C
20gm El Dorado @ 75C
Clarity Ferm
23L RO water
10gm Citra x 4 day DH
10gm Mosaic x 4 day DH
El Dorado x 4 day DH
Gen 2 WLP95 Burlington Ale pitched @ 1:45p.m. @ 18.5C. Fridge set to 18C.

OG 1.053; FG 1.013; IBU 27; ABV 5.2%; BU:GU 0.52. 

Just had my first taste of this last night and it turned out really nice. I can pick out the Citra but it doesn't dominate or overpower the flavour, the way Citra sometimes can. Nicely balanced. Quite pleased with this brew.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 2

Well my brewday came and went with only 1 hitch. Starter had not settled enough so had to pitch the whole 4l which gives me 26l in the fv. OG is 1.075 down from 1.080 after adding the starter.  Lag time about 10 hours before evidence of active ferment.

Adding isinglass to mine today and polyclar tomorrow, and will keg it this weekend. Hopefully my new bag arrives this week so I can brew again on the weekend and get another one done. Probably won't drink any of it until the second one is ready, that way I can get two more done while these two are on tap. 

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Following the OVB regime, I Isinglass-ed my California Riptide Pale Ale and my Abbey Dubbel yesterday and Polyclar-ed them tonight.  Looking to keg on the weekend.

Is it okay to put 9-10L of brew into 19L corny kegs?  Anything I should know first?

Not sure i would have fined a dubbel mate but each to there own. As kelsey says you wont have a problem with the half filled keg other than it will run out of beer quicker than usual 😆

• Haha 1

My westy 12 is down to 1.020 from a starting gravity of 1.091. Temp is up to 27c and will be held there till the end. Quite interesting tasting the sample. Classic plum and raisin tastes from the special b malt and free of solventy alcohol flavour but a touch more bitter than expected. Still it seems to be coming along nicely.

• Like 1

Day 11 of fermentation @ 12 degrees is my Golden Saaz Pilsner, and she’s still bubbling in the airlock ( has slowed down a little ), should I up the temp a bit to finish it off ?

Thoughts ?

Im not in any great hurry for it to finish though. 

CheersRD44 🍺🍺

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Day 11 of fermentation @ 12 degrees is my Golden Saaz Pilsner, and she’s still bubbling in the airlock ( has slowed down a little ), should I up the temp a bit to finish it off ?

Thoughts ?

CheersRD44 🍺🍺

Id give it a gravity check mate. If its within 6 or 7 points or so of expected gravity I'd let it start rising in temp to finish off. 

7 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Thoughts ?

CheersRD44 🍺🍺

Hey Red in the AG world we mostly do a di-acetyl rest... to ensure the festive yeasties process any DiAcetyl... so would raise it maybe up to 18 to leave the Yeasts process through that.

@Otto Von Blotto Kelsey put me on the right track for this and Palmer says same... so wouldn't hurt to raise it to 18 for a few days to let the yeasts power through any of that unwanted metabolite... and then do a slow cool back down to encourage the yeasts to do a clean-up.

Kelsey might have a better time regarding time for the 18 deg C but would suggest a few days....

And Greeny I think is saying similar... just sailed in as I was posting my comment...  Cheers @Greeny1525229549 Greeny

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If its within 6 or 7 points or so of expected gravity I'd let it start rising in temp to finish off. 

Edited by Bearded Burbler

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Hey Red in the AG world we mostly do a di-acetyl rest... to ensure the festive yeasties process any DiAcetyl... so would raise it maybe up to 18 to leave the Yeasts process through that.

@Otto Von Blotto Kelsey put me on the right track for this and Palmer says same... so wouldn't hurt to raise it to 18 for a few days to let the yeasts power through any of that unwanted metabolite... and then do a slow cool back down to encourage the yeasts to do a clean-up.

Kelsey might have a better time regarding time for the 18 deg C but would suggest a few days....

And Greeny I think is saying similar... just sailed in as I was posting my comment...  Cheers @Greeny1525229549 Greeny

Cheers BB

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Golden Saaz Pilsner gravity @ 1010, Morgan’s Lager Yeast says between 9-15 degrees, ideal temp 12 so fermenting at 12, Greeny or BB would it still be ok to take it up to 18 to finish off ? 

Mate I would let it rise back up to 18 to tidy up Di-Acetyl or any unwanted metabolites... but best we ask the big gun Brewers @Otto Von Blotto and @Greeny1525229549 for their input too mate.

I reckon then maybe 4-5 days at 18 (more like a week in the below sequence which cannot hurt) and then slowly like 2-3 deg per day after that to take it back down to say 3 or so deg C before keg up.

The below is my bodgied up day by day sequence table from earlier inf from Kelsey @Otto Von Blotto and then some Palmer (How to Brew Book) inf... think Kelsey might do 10 - I do 12 deg C.

And yeah let it come up naturally - slowly up to 18 don't rush it.  And I don't do as many SG tests... meself.... but the sequence of testing there is basically identifying when ferment has stabilised and it is time then to push the yeast into clean-up mode.

So then take it back down slowly - don't madly rush it.... cooling the yeasts slowly encourages them to go into the clean-up mode.

A severe temp change is not good either when you go up to 18 for the DiAcetyl Rest and back down for the Clean-up - shock changes in Temp can put yeast under stress and cause autolysis - where they spew their guts basically to coin the vernacular and provide unwanted vegemite flavours - but I think that such temp change will likely need to be extreme.

image.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler

6 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Mate I would let it rise back up to 18 to tidy up Di-Acetyl or any unwanted metabolites... but best we ask the big gun Brewers @Otto Von Blotto and @Greeny1525229549 for their input too mate.

I reckon then maybe 4-5 days at 18 (more like a week in the below sequence which cannot hurt) and then slowly like 2-3 deg per day after that to take it back down to say 3 or so deg C before keg up.

The below is my bodgied up day by day sequence table from earlier inf from Kelsey @Otto Von Blotto and then some Palmer (How to Brew Book) inf... think Kelsey might do 10 - I do 12 deg C.

And yeah let it come up naturally - slowly up to 18 don't rush it.  And I don't do as many SG tests... meself.... but the sequence of testing there is basically identifying when ferment has stabilised and it is time then to push the yeast into clean-up mode.

So then take it back down slowly - don't madly rush it.... cooling the yeasts slowly encourages them to go into the clean-up mode.

A severe temp change is not good either when you go up to 18 for the DiAcetyl Rest and back down for the Clean-up - shock changes in Temp can put yeast under stress and cause autolysis - where they spew their guts basically to coin the vernacular and provide unwanted vegemite flavours - but I think that such temp change will likely need to be extreme.

image.png

Ok mate cheers for the assistance, oh and I must be one of few Aussies who don’t like Vegemite, so don’t want that flavour in my beer 🤣🤣🤣🍺🍺🍺

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Golden Saaz Pilsner gravity @ 1010, Morgan’s Lager Yeast says between 9-15 degrees, ideal temp 12 so fermenting at 12, Greeny or BB would it still be ok to take it up to 18 to finish off ? 

BB gives good advice. Morgan's lager yeast I used a few times in my early days. It is quite a good lager yeast actually ( rumoured to be Mauribrew 497 ).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Not sure i would have fined a dubbel mate but each to there own

Rookie mistake.  Never brewed this style before.  I hope it does not suffer too much as a result.  The SG samples had a nice spicy taste and aroma to them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Rookie mistake.  Never brewed this style before.  I hope it does not suffer too much as a result.  The SG samples had a nice spicy taste and aroma to them.

No no it will still be a good beer mate. Just find them a little more Belgiany with some yeast left in there. I usually do a short cold crash and bottle or on the odd occasion keg. A less yeast one might be more to your taste and thats what counts in the end. 👍

• Like 2