Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2020

Otto Von Blotto

I was just going to cut this pic in... I think I need to get something like that to reduce the test volume...  and I seem to keep breaking the cylinders : |

So you beat me to it ha ha : )

Cheers Titan!

image.thumb.png.ea8f71a2dfe34f73a1d43a1398d9db87.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I like taking hydrometer samples, because I can also taste and smell them. Can't do that with refractometers 😜

I do. Post boil i lift a spoon of wort, drop a couple of drops on the refractometer and sample the rest. End of ferment take 250ml sample, measure then smell and taste.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

Sorry to go OT everyone.   @ChristinaS1 How did your son get on with any Covid-19 test. I remember you said you were having big trouble with the medical help tele-line over there in Canada but that thread got deleted.  Just was wondering how it all turned out.  Hope all is ok over there with your mob.

Cheers - AL

Hi Al. His test turned out negative, thanks for asking. 😀 Did not realize that the Covid-19 thread got deleted as I stopped following it a while ago. 

We are still in lockdown but things are looking good in terms of flattening the Covid-19 curve. Hard to say when parts of the economy can be reopened as things like masks, hand sanitizer, and disinfectants are still in short supply for frontline health care workers, never mind the public. 

Hope all is well with you, your family, and all my brewing friends in the Southern Hemisphere.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I do. Post boil i lift a spoon of wort, drop a couple of drops on the refractometer and sample the rest. End of ferment take 250ml sample, measure then smell and taste.

My samples are only 100mL each anyway so it probably works out about the same. 

19 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I just added the simcoe/lemon drop dry hop to my XPA and 80g coarse ground coffee with 1 dessertspoon vanilla essence as a 'dry hop' to my stout. Fresh ground coffee and vanilla smell fantastic together. Hopefully it works with the stout - I deliberately did not hop the stout earlier and will not do it now. I figure to let the flavours come through as is, stout, coffee and vanilla and not interfere with any kind of floral... 😄

This morning I sanitised my hands and lifted the lids and gave them a gentle stir. (by swirling the bags around a bit) Then cleaned out the samples and took new ones. 

The PA isn't there yet but I can taste it's well on the way to something like the Coopers XPA. The lemon drop effect is subtle and very different from what I got from citra that I used before I got the LD.

The stout is luvverly! Still a stout in flavour but a sweetness (presumably from the vanilla, although it was an extract and small amount so I doubt the sugar in there would sweeten 20L of brew that much) and smooth mouthfeel and a subtle coffee flavour, quite 'there' but I may use 100g coffee beans next time. 

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

This morning I sanitised my hands and lifted the lids and gave them a gentle stir. (by swirling the bags around a bit) Then cleaned out the samples and took new ones. 

The PA isn't there yet but I can taste it's well on the way to something like the Coopers XPA. The lemon drop effect is subtle and very different from what I got from citra that I used before I got the LD.

The stout is luvverly! Still a stout in flavour but a sweetness (presumably from the vanilla, although it was an extract and small amount so I doubt the sugar in there would sweeten 20L of brew that much) and smooth mouthfeel and a subtle coffee flavour, quite 'there' but I may use 100g coffee beans next time. 

Might have a crack at the Coopers XPA, nice drop 🍺🍺

• Like 1

Just kegged my Pacific Summer Ale this morning ( looking forward to trying that ) then whacked another K & K on, one of my favourites which is a Black Rock Pale Ale.

Will be dry hopped with 25g Cascade.

US-05 yeast.

Fermenting at 18 degrees

Cheers RD44🍺🍺

Can highly recommend this one to any K & K brewers, very nice drop 😃

• Like 2

Got two brews going at the moment.  Two craft fermenters in the temperature controlled freezer.

One has the California Riptide Pale Ale and the other has the Abbey Dubbel.  I did not have a US-05 yeast so I used a spare APA yeast and a spare Craft IPA yeast in the Pale Ale.  Both 10L batches to keep the ABV down a bit below the suggested recipes.  Upped the Cascade boil to 15 minutes because the Coopers recipes tend to be a bit tame.

Started the ferment at 20°C to encourage flavours from the T-58 yeast, while still being in the normal range for the Coopers' yeasts.

Dry hopped them yesterday, except I used Hallertauer Mittelfrueh instead of Saaz in the Abbey Dubbel.  Also upped the temperature to 21°C.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dry hopped them yesterday, except I used Hallertauer Mittelfrueh instead of Saaz in the Abbey Dubbel.  Also upped the temperature to 21°C.

Wont make much difference mate. I interchange a lot in my Belgians. Its all about the yeast and how much you pitch and the temperature regime.

Edited by Greeny1525229549
  • Like 2

Just put this on today. No partial this time. Had intended to make a lager but had problems with my lager starter, so switched to making it an ale. Fermenting in the keg. Using Denali hops for the first time. Will be adding the dry hops at yeast pitching, another first for me, for some bio-transformation. MJ has informed me that M44 is able to do bio-transform. Will remove dry hops on day three. Won't apply pressure initially, to allow ester formation, but will apply 10PSI after removing the dry hops. 

Pandemic Denali Ale

1.7kg Coopers Lager
1kg light DME
10gm Cascade x 5 min
34gm Denali hop stand x 20 min
22gm Denali at pitching (in keg) for biotransformation X 3 days
10gm MJ's M44 West Coast Ale dry pitched
10mL Claritferm
17L

Cheers,

Christina.
  • Like 3

Well my batch of Steam beer has hit FG and I have upped the temp to 20 C and will hold it there for a couple of days before the CC.

Taste test is nice, colour a bit darker than I was expecting but should clear a fair bit more on conditioning.  Also lots of floaties in it / on top. I remember some grain escaped the muslin cloth when I was first filtering the steep into the FV so paying the price for not being so careful now.

Not much got past but it will be enough to get me thinking on how I can filter these out when I bottle or keg it.  I don't think a CC and gelatin will make these drop out.

Maybe have to siphon it with a clean / sanitised bit of cloth over the siphon pick-up tube but this may create unwanted bubbles during the process.

Could also try a brand new sanitised SS scourer wrapped around the siphon pick-up and this in turn wrapped in a bit of cloth as per above to create a filter of sufficient volume so it does not clog up. Hmm...?

Cheers - AL

Also got a batch of Pacific Summer Ale done and ready to CC.  I did this batch using a lager tin by accident as I store the tins upside down so I can grab the one with earliest use by date and did not notice a lager tin had been moved in among the APA tins stash.  Never mind, by IanH SS calculations this just ups the IBU slightly so will be interesting to see how it turns out when compared to the last four batches of PSA that I have done.  Used a fresh pack of Windsor yeast and an APA yeast as per the recipe so the only change was the tin.

Cheers - AL

• Like 3

Started this one last night. A Coopers dark ale recipe from the spreadsheet. Pale ale kit, dark malt and white sugar. Mixed up to 23L and pitched my yeast starter at 20deg. Ran the fridge down to 17deg and put the heat belt on to 18deg as recommended in the recipe. I'm wondering if I might be experiencing a stall  as there seems to be no action on top of the wort. Not taking the lid off just yet but you can see the temp sender in the brew(scrubbed and sanitised) and yeast settled out on bottom of FV. First time with yeast starter so not sure what to expect. About 19 hours since pitched

IMG_0826 (1).JPG

IMG_0827 (1).JPG

Hey guys, been a bit quiet on here this year. Doesn't mean the brewery has been. Got 3 X FVs on the go.

FV01 - Motueka dry-hopped Bohemian Pilsner. I suppose that makes it a NZ Pils. This one's been going for 20days! Patience...

FV02 - Lemon Myrtle Weizen. I've grown my own Lemon Myrtle tree for constant production of this beer. One of my faves.

FV03 - Steam Beer. Trying this off the Coopers recipes.

These will probably all get bottled in a week or two. I've only got like 3 milk crates of beer left until these are ripe and I'm dipping into my aged beer supply. May be forking out for some cartons soon...

• Like 4

On 4/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

10gm MJ's M44 West Coast Ale dry pitched

This blow off tube on this batch still hasn't started to bubble; it is now 27 hours. The wort was 23C when I pitched the yeast. The Inkbird and brew fridge got the temp down to 18C in a few hours. M44 is Mangrove Jack's version of BRY-97, with is notoriously laggy. I have increased the temp on the Inkbird by half a degree a few times throughout the day and it is now at 20C.

If I use this yeast again I will start it off at 21C and wait with turning down the temp until it starts to bubble. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1